Part 1 & Part 2

- - -

Games
Old 11-14-14, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Wal-Mart 2014 Black Friday

Gotta ask.

It's real quiet here. Is this because of a lack of diversity in this year's WM offerings? Or these titles already part of your library?

This year I've decided to keep my travels to a single place; Black Friday 2014 is Wal-Mart only. I like that it begins at 6PM with luck I could be out of there by eight (as in check out).

Anyhow, just wondering if this silence is some kind of protest over so-so titles. Or perhaps this has a deeper root - declining greenbacks.

I'm going in with seventy five dollars (cash) and hope to keep it just slightly above that. My wallet is getting tighter.
Old 11-14-14, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, I'd been busy and hadn't even visited since Wednesday night.

But since you mentioned it, then yeah, the advertised items are disheartening. I'd never gotten around to buying Homeland S2 or Sherlock S1 and it's nice in a vaguely pleasant sort of way to check those off the list, but there wasn't much urgency for either (and I may well just get them from Amazon if they're available there). I guess I may pick up Arrow S2 or Supernatural S9 but only if I can't get them at Target (or Amazon) where I'd prefer to purchase them for the same price.

There is, of course, a chance that we may get something unadvertised worth buying, such as Person of Interest S3 like we had S2 last year, and/or perhaps some other CW titles beyond Arrow, SPN and TVD? Maybe some more stuff actually from 2014? But that's all theoretical at this point. Out of Target, BB and WM then I'm the least impressed by these offerings.
Old 11-14-14, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like picking up $2 dvd titles....
Old 11-14-14, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said over on Blu Ray, a pretty underwhelming lineup. I'm not sure I even care to fight the crowds. Target maybe, but Walmart is unappealing.
Old 11-14-14, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnIan
Gotta ask.

It's real quiet here. Is this because of a lack of diversity in this year's WM offerings? Or these titles already part of your library?

This year I've decided to keep my travels to a single place; Black Friday 2014 is Wal-Mart only. I like that it begins at 6PM with luck I could be out of there by eight (as in check out).

Anyhow, just wondering if this silence is some kind of protest over so-so titles. Or perhaps this has a deeper root - declining greenbacks.

I'm going in with seventy five dollars (cash) and hope to keep it just slightly above that. My wallet is getting tighter.
I think the main reason that people are underwhelmed is that they're going to have something like 600 titles on sale, they don't tell you what most of them are, and it's impossible to go in there with a want list. They only release the titles for a couple dozen of the 214 $1.99 titles, so you have no idea what's even going to be on sale, and even then, with some 600 sale titles, there's not going to be a lot of depth to the stock.
Old 11-14-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I didn't see anything truly compelling in the WM ad - DVDs or otherwise (and it's not just WM - I've not seen *anything* that makes me want to venture out this year). So far anything media-wise that's been in any of the ads I already own what I want of the listed titles - often for less than the BF price. But I also have gotten tired of going in to look at the cheap DVD titles only to have to fight a mob just to find there's little I want. While there *are* a "few" TVonDVD titles I'd purchase for those prices I'm going to wait and see if Amazon offers them for the same price as it's a double-win. No going to WM and no sales tax.
Old 11-14-14, 07:15 PM

it's impossible to go in there with a want list
True. But even with a list its still a gamble. I recall a few years back they advertised "Easy A" (soild movie by the way), I did not find it - at all. And I went to two WMs.

I am underwhelmed by Target's offering this year. Last BF I was so bummed. I got there and found various levels of disappointment. I ended up buying "Pirates! Band Of Misfits" (which I did enjoy), but that was bought simply because of all the trouble I had getting there to leave empty handed. Not again; this is why I'm skipping Target. The same with Big Lots! None of the TV show sets they had I wanted. Just more of the same, the only difference is that they're in a new cardboard display.

I am excited to pick up "Band Of Brothers" for ten bucks. And a few others.
Old 11-17-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 70 Posts

Gotta ask.

For me,I really use to like going out on BF either at midnight or 6am in the
morning looking for movies and other deals.And the stores were not very crowded being in
a kind of small town,besides Target had the longest lines.

But BF becoming Grey Thursday,I have very little interest in going out shopping on Turkey day.

Best Buy and Target have A few movies I'm interest in getting.Will try to get them online.Or better yet have Amazon match them.

And I'm also low on funds this year,and really I have enough physical media.
With Amazon IV,Netflix,free movies from Redbox and streaming,I'm buying less
disc these days.
Old 11-18-14, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta ask.

My advice: Get a big sack. Throw everything you "might" want into it as fast as you can and head to the registers. In line go through your stuff and pull out what you are going to buy. Last year, I was out in 30 min.

DON'T use a shopping basket, since shoppers will shop from your basket and it is difficult to navigate a shopping cart through the crowds.
Old 11-18-14, 03:32 PM

Something.

On the other message board for Wal-Mart BF, there was a mention about when the sale goes live.

That Black Friday deals on releases surface at noon in store.

While there are the titles sealed away for the appointed time later that day.

Several of those (known) are in the media section. Those particulars are now BF discounted, that is...

DVDs or if you choose BD without a special bar code sticker.

I know that last year, I was looking for "Ted: Unrated" and "The Bourne Legacy" but both were snatched up from the BF shelfs. A thought popped in and I went to the DVD area and found a copy (of each), price scanned - and they were the BF tags.

If this is true (the poster said it was for the past two years), then on select titles you can pick them up at the discount after 12PM turkey day. I'll give this an examine that afternoon.
Old 11-18-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So at noon we can go into WM and scan items from the regular media section (those mentioned in the ad and others we might guess could be part of the sale) and if they're doing what they did in years past then those will already be on sale.

Sounds good, thanks.