Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Target DVD prices (January 13th - 19th, 2013)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Old 01-10-13, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Taken 2 $16.99

The Possession $16.99

To Rome With Love $16.99

Information from Annie Chu.

Wow, now that's a slow week.
Old 01-10-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Target DVD prices (January 13th - 19th, 2013)

Doesn't look like I'll be spending much at Target this week.
Old 01-10-13, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

To Rome...... is a fine film, but I'm sure the price will drop big time within a couple months.
Old 01-10-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Targets in my area are remodeling their DVD sections (one was finished yesterday afternoon and one was in process), so it might be worth checking them out just to see what has changed.

Some of their changes seem reasonable to me, but others I can never figure out. They're now carrying Babylon 5 Season 5, but none of the other Seasons. Would someone really try the show with S5? And they're carrying Entourage S1,2,5,7,8. That seems...random.
Old 01-10-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Didn't Target stop posting much of their Ads/Sales because other B&M stores as well as Amazon were just matching them?

That sort of thing absolutely destroys your foot-traffic in Retail Stores.
Old 01-10-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
The Targets in my area are remodeling their DVD sections (one was finished yesterday afternoon and one was in process), so it might be worth checking them out just to see what has changed.
Again? The ones that I frequent changed things around a few weeks back (4 movie packs and $5 TV moved into the aisle, new double pack section, etc.)

Originally Posted by asianxcore View Post
Didn't Target stop posting much of their Ads/Sales because other B&M stores as well as Amazon were just matching them?

First I've heard of this. Seems like another silly move by Target on par with their declaration that they weren't going to compete this holiday season.

Last edited by E_v_i_l; 01-10-13 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-11-13, 07:41 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 118 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by E_v_i_l View Post
Seems like another silly move by Target on par with their declaration that they weren't going to compete this holiday season.
...and the only DVD/BD I bought at Target during the holiday season was The Hunger Games BD for $8, and that only because it was an online only sale but I fought to get the deal in-store (shipping would've killed it as other retailers had it on sale in-store for $8.99 on BF). Their "declaration" killed any other potential sales (with me) that they could've made by not competing.

Nothing for me next week (unless unadvertised deals exist). -kd5-
Old 01-11-13, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
To Rome...... is a fine film, but I'm sure the price will drop big time within a couple months.
Which is the problem with DVDs/BDs (and even most video games) right now, nothing keeps its value more than a week or two anymore before dropping.
Old 01-11-13, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_omega View Post
Which is the problem with DVDs/BDs (and even most video games) right now, nothing keeps its value more than a week or two anymore before dropping.
That's a problem because...
Old 01-11-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also heard as of a few days ago they are now price-matching their competitors both in-store and online BUT it's to only a few online stores like Amazon, Best buy, Wal-Mart and the like.
Old 01-12-13, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
Some of their changes seem reasonable to me, but others I can never figure out. They're now carrying Babylon 5 Season 5, but none of the other Seasons. Would someone really try the show with S5? And they're carrying Entourage S1,2,5,7,8. That seems...random.
That kind of decision probably originates more with Warner Bros. than with Target. A much finer example of poor decision making for Target would be when that last wave of Bond Blu-rays came out in October. I stopped by to pick up Tomorrow Never Dies - one of the three Target exclusive Bond Blus - only to discover they were nowhere to be found.

A young woman working in the electronics department was kind enough to root around in the back for me, and found them there but there wasn't even a spot cleared off on the shelves for them. So Target went to the trouble of arranging to have three James Bond Blu-ray Discs as store exclusives, even slapping the "Only at Target" sticker on 'em...just to let them sit in a box in the back of the store.

They could use the "Low Price!" cop-out and not print an actual price. It can't possibly be good for their foot traffic if Joe Sixpack peruses their ads and doesn't even continue to think of them as a place to check for DVDs or Blus.

Originally Posted by rmw650 View Post
I also heard as of a few days ago they are now price-matching their competitors both in-store and online BUT it's to only a few online stores like Amazon, Best buy, Wal-Mart and the like.
Originally Posted by E_v_i_l View Post
First I've heard of this. Seems like another silly move by Target on par with their declaration that they weren't going to compete this holiday season.
They may as well price-match since they're the victims of it in return. I confess, I snagged Finding Nemo at Walmart the day after Christmas by PMing their advertised $12.99 price. It was far easier for me to get in and out of Walmart that afternoon, and also since Target only ever has about eight copies of any one title on hand I doubted it was going to be worth the trip just to leave empty-handed anyway.

I'm indifferent which soulless corporation gets my money. I am, however, partial to giving that soulless corporation as little of it as I have to to get what I want. If Target's willing to take as little of it as someone else, then Target can have it. I believe that call that "the equilibrium price". Yay, capitalism!
Old 01-12-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by adam_omega View Post
Yep.
Old 01-13-13, 04:30 AM

Update...

CDs

"Kidz Bop 23" exclusive store release $9.99

- - -

Games

Man, it's 1:30am here; Southern California and it's 35.6 degrees outside. It's expected to hit 31 by dawn. Frack me.
Old 01-13-13, 01:28 PM

I know its sometimes easy to forget that these "souless" corporations provide jobs for many a soul....I'm really not looking forward to a future where one never can see what one is buying til it arrives. I kinda like getting out of the house at times...10 years from now, will we only drive to work, or a supermarket?
Off the soapbox.
Yep, Target is moving the section around, again...weird.
Was actually in two Targets , south of Atlanta. The one in Morrow had switched up the DVDs on the wall. You know, the wall with older titles? The one that used to have the last two seasons of Adam-12 for $14.99(and were on sale twice for $11.99) now has seasons 4 and 5 for $14.99. (3-5 dollars less than Amazon, per season)Also there are Dragnet, seasons 3 and 4, for the same $14.99. Crap, can't remember what else, but some other interesting older titles...

Last edited by berigan; 01-13-13 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-13-13, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JohnIan View Post
Update...

Man, it's 1:30am here; Southern California and it's 35.6 degrees outside. It's expected to hit 31 by dawn. Frack me.
Man that sucks, since when did SoCal hit such low temps??? :/
Old 01-13-13, 07:02 PM

I blame the 3D piranhas, dogs being tought to drive, the lack of Tori Black and Jenna Haze in the industry, that and a cold front. Suppose to be 33 by dawn, tonight. Joy.

Hmmm.... I wonder if they worked together?
Old 01-14-13, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by berigan View Post
I know its sometimes easy to forget that these "souless" corporations provide jobs for many a soul....I'm really not looking forward to a future where one never can see what one is buying til it arrives. I kinda like getting out of the house at times...10 years from now, will we only drive to work, or a supermarket?
Off the soapbox.
Yep, Target is moving the section around, again...weird.
Was actually in two Targets , south of Atlanta. The one in Morrow had switched up the DVDs on the wall. You know, the wall with older titles? The one that used to have the last two seasons of Adam-12 for $14.99(and were on sale twice for $11.99) now has seasons 4 and 5 for $14.99. (3-5 dollars less than Amazon, per season)Also there are Dragnet, seasons 3 and 4, for the same $14.99. Crap, can't remember what else, but some other interesting older titles...
Maybe once these soulless fucks start paying a LIVING WAGE I'll feel a bit more sympathetic.
Old 01-14-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look like Nothing for me this week from Target.
Old 01-14-13, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
They could use the "Low Price!" cop-out and not print an actual price. It can't possibly be good for their foot traffic if Joe Sixpack peruses their ads and doesn't even continue to think of them as a place to check for DVDs or Blus.
I remember Best Buy doing that in their early days, so it wouldn't be crazy for Target to follow suit!
Old 01-14-13, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by berigan View Post
Off the soapbox.
Originally Posted by RustyOrgan View Post
Maybe once these soulless fucks start paying a LIVING WAGE I'll feel a bit more sympathetic.
I think it's possible to see the importance of those jobs to the employees without feeling sympathy for the corporations themselves. berigan's point was just that when we bash Target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. we tend to forget that even though their ownership may be self-indulgent twits with deplorable values, there are lots of real life human beings who depend on those jobs and who aren't themselves necessarily bad people for having taken that work.

I also entirely agree with RustyOrgan about the need for living wage payment. It's well past the time where we change our mindset about arbitrary thresholds for what is "fair" payment for a job and update it for 2013 and not 1973.
Old 01-15-13, 07:43 PM

maybe I'll pick up To Rome With Love and The Possession. I love both movies but I tend to base most of my full-price DVD decisions on whether or not my health is well.