DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   TCM Store- Classic Boxed Sets (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/606697-tcm-store-classic-boxed-sets.html)

guerilla1977 11-23-12 10:29 AM

TCM Store- Classic Boxed Sets

TCM Store has a bushel-full of boxed sets on sale.
http://shop.tcm.com/sale/index.php?v...k-friday-promo

Gobear 11-23-12 11:32 AM

Re: TCM Store- Classic Boxed Sets

The Garbo set is a steal: only $20.99, when it was selling for $100 just a few years ago. You get several silent films, plus her greatest hits from the 30s, like Grand Hotel, Camille, and Ninotchka.

g 11-25-12 03:08 PM

TCM just put out the best coupon that i've seen from them. EM25 is good only today and gives 25 percent off and free shipping.
It is really best used on their exclusive vault titles.
I just got the Dark Crimes set for around 22$ for three movies. Usually when a set is just released, they are pressed disks and this is a preorder. All the Sony vault titles are pressed to my understanding as well.
They also have an exclusive Bob Hope and Katharine Hepburn Blu ray DVD set, The Iron Petticoat.

BobO'Link 11-25-12 03:36 PM

^WOW! Thanks for that coupon! 25% off *and* free shipping!

I've been waiting for a good enough price to pick up the "Universal Cult Horror Collection" (5 early Universal horror titles). It was already "on sale" for $5 off and the coupon brought it down to $33.74 shipped. That's still a bit high IMHO for a MOD (hopefully it'll not be but I contacted them a while back and they indicated it is) but it's the best price I've seen for this set. My collection of Classic Universal Horror is now complete! :)

dmkb 11-25-12 04:30 PM

Thanks for this G - I've been meaning to pick up Iron Petticoat but didn't want to pay shipping - this was great $18.74 shipped

bacigalup 11-25-12 05:16 PM

Thanks g! Bought the Cary Grant:The Early Years for $22.49.

ProfessorEcho 11-25-12 05:26 PM

Looks like the box set sale from BF is over.

jwstl 11-25-12 05:32 PM

I'm considering the Women in Danger and Directed by Billy Wilder sets. Is this the best price for them or were they cheaper on BF? Anyone have opinions on either set?

dex14 11-25-12 05:42 PM

You aren't going to find a much better deal on them. Their shipping can be high.

ernestrp 11-25-12 06:16 PM

Thanks for the coupon.

Ordered Film Noir Classics III and Dark Crimes.

Did anyone else get charged tax. I got charged 2.81 tax.

dmkb 11-25-12 06:40 PM

No tax on my order

Pizza 11-25-12 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by g (Post 11482429)
TCM just put out the best coupon that i've seen from them. EM25 is good only today and gives 25 percent off and free shipping.
It is really best used on their exclusive vault titles.
I just got the Dark Crimes set for around 22$ for three movies. Usually when a set is just released, they are pressed disks and this is a preorder. All the Sony vault titles are pressed to my understanding as well.
They also have an exclusive Bob Hope and Katharine Hepburn Blu ray DVD set, The Iron Petticoat.

Pretty funny that it's economical for them to press the early runs of MODs. Wish they'd make it clear when it is pressed as I would buy some of these.

ProfessorEcho 11-25-12 07:04 PM

I can't justify buying the TCM Vault stuff as it's really pricey for what you get. Also my local library tends to get all of these, so I check them out and watch the movies and kind of get my fill of them. And, of course, some of the films do air on TCM, so that is another outlet to see them. I think the breaking point for me is that they don't include original trailers, something that is kind of a minimum for me as far as extras go and something I especially enjoy, seeing how they marketed these vintage titles. So too many strikes against them for my tastes, but I'm glad people who want them are getting a bit of a deal on them today.

I highly recommend the UNIVERSAL CULT HORROR set as old Paramount and Universal titles are hard to come by in any venue or format.

Paul_SD 11-25-12 08:01 PM

Thanks for the coupon!
got me off the fence and picked up

Women In Danger: Thrillers Of The '50's
Sundown
Dark Crimes
total with tax- $69.30

At full price, or even 25% off I was ready to let these pass by (especially after seeing the disappointing caps from the Dark Crimes set at DVDBeaver). But 30% off + free shipping, which was another $7 on this order, swayed me.
as less than amazing as the Ladd/Lake screencaps look, these two films have been on my want list for at least a decade now- it will mark a milestone for me to finally cross them off. That's worth it, I guess.

Paul_SD 11-25-12 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Pizza (Post 11482758)
Pretty funny that it's economical for them to press the early runs of MODs. Wish they'd make it clear when it is pressed as I would buy some of these.

When the Universal 100th Ann release list was leaked late last year, the Dark Crimes set was listed as an MOD title.
They could still be initially pressed, but I remember ordering the Doug Sirk set only a couple months after it was released and already got the Burned copies of it. As long as this set has been up for a pre-order, I wouldn't be surprised to see all the pressed copies exhausted before the release date.

g 11-25-12 09:13 PM

I also enjoyed UPA Jolly, a Sony Vault one. I got that a few months ago.
I think they don't want people to think MOD is inferior to pressed by saying which is which. Over at Home Theater Forum they got crazy when someone opened a thread on which Warner Archive titles were pressed.
I think it is a sore subject with Warner.
Over at HTF, I don't think anybody has said they ever got a Vault title made MOD as a preorder. Theyve all been reported as pressed.

mike7162 11-26-12 02:21 AM

I need to stop clicking on these threads or I'm going to need credit counseling.

Steve 11-26-12 11:29 AM

is it just me or is this site still very expensive- even with the discounts? For anything i want, most movies will cost me $7-10 each - even if in a box set. And that's on sale!

There is a lot of stuff I am interested (Jean Arthur collections, etc). but I can't justify spending that much $ for so little movies.

I know this may be the lowest these get...

With Blu-ray now being had a $5-8 for new, spending $8-10 for DVDs just seems like the price point came from a different era.

Yeah, I know the interest in these are limited...

For now, money is too tight. so I will pass.

But a lot of great stuff... maybe one day.

BobO'Link 11-26-12 07:02 PM

^Yes, the items on this site are expensive - many vastly overpriced considering they are less at Amazon than at TCM *with* a coupon. The coupons/codes are best used on those "Vault" items which are exclusive to the site (the Universal Cult Horror Collection is a good example). While still a bit on the high side the coupons bring these specific items to a somewhat more reasonable price point.

dmkb 11-26-12 07:16 PM

They've been pretty successful at limiting access to these vault titles which helps them keep the price up. That's perhaps why the coupons seem like a bigger deal than other sales.

g 11-26-12 07:19 PM

Warner is gonna try to more control the price of their new Warner Archive blu ray titles, as well.
The Dark Crimes set seemed pretty reasonable to me at 22 dollars for 3 movies with coupon. DVDbeaver was actually positive on the set as a whole and said only only one of the titles was not quite as good transfer wise.
I really wanted the Women in Danger set, but I realy wanted the Unguarded Moment, the most and the transfer is supposed to be a mess. the other films in the set had good reviews.