DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Wal-Mart 100 movie collections? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/602387-wal-mart-100-movie-collections.html)

leahcim 06-12-12 01:39 PM

Wal-Mart 100 movie collections?

Any of them worth the $17.96?

Sci-Fi, western, comedy, etc.....

AdamGott 06-12-12 03:27 PM

Re: Wal-Mart 100 movie collections?

I think so but don't expect anything with great quality. All of the movies are public domain and often repeated in other 'cheapie' packs so if you already have a lot of this type of movie on dvd expect a lot of duplicates.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 06-12-12 03:51 PM

Quality depends on the movie and in some cases, they do have the best version available. One that comes to mind is some horror film with a, I want to say santa claus, killer. It's the only way to get the uncut version of it.

They overlap the 50 movie sets, so if you were going to start collecting them, you might be better off sticking with the 50 movie sets. If it's more of a one time deal, nothing wrong with 100.

That'sAllFolks 06-12-12 03:58 PM

To clarify:
These are just 2 of the Mill Creek 50 Movie packs shrinkwrapped together. I noticed a Horror, Comedy, War and Sci-Fi 2-pack. These are decent prices for them (9 bucks + tax each), but they have been this low and probably will again.

jbeeching 06-12-12 11:12 PM

Not all are PDs... Mill Creek has licensed some "Crown International Pictures" that are included on some of these sets. For example, the Sci-Fi set are two 50-movie packs; "Sci-Fi Invasion" and "Sci-Fi Classics" & there are a few licensed features ("Galaxina", for one)...

I agree with everything else posted here though... quality varies wildly, but a large portion of these movies are never going to be in any better shape than they are on here & for the price you really can't go wrong IMO

Lang Thompson 06-13-12 08:00 AM

I have a couple of the Mill Creek sets with Crown films which were in widescreen and appeared to be uncut. The source prints are sometimes (but not always) a bit beat up but hey that just adds to a nostalgia factor.

30smovies 06-17-12 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by leahcim (Post 11269181)
Any of them worth the $17.96?

Sci-Fi, western, comedy, etc.....

As has been mentioned, these are two 50 Movie Pack sets from Mill Creek shrink wrapped together. What you can do for sets you are interested in is check the sides of the sets which reveal the original 50 Movie Pack titles of the two sets and then look those two sets up on Amazon.com for comments about print quality, etc. I would say however $18 is an amazing bargain for 100 movies even for public domain movies with two or three movies on each side of a dvd disc. $18 is the price range the 50 movie packs sell in on the net unless they're on sale so you're getting these sets around half the normal price.

Most of the films in these sets are from the 1930's to 1950's; the scifi movies are for the most a bit more recent, mostly 1950's-1960's. The scifis are generally independent cheapie films with no name stars while the Mysteries and comedy sets for the most are major studio releases from the golden era and star big name classic era stars. There are a lot of really good films in those sets although the print quality can be hit and miss given they're p.d. and not made from studio masters. The westerns are for the most "B" westerns from the 1940s and 1950s although with popular cowboy stars.

The 100 Comedy Movie collection includes the Comedy Kings 50 Movie Pack which I believe is now out of print as a solo set.

Alan Smithee 06-17-12 04:21 PM

The main problem with these is that they use too much COMPRESSION! All the sets I have average 4 movies per disc, which would be OK if they used DVD-18 discs (dual-layer on both sides), but instead they use either 2-sided single layer with 2 movies per side, so each movie has to be compressed twice as much as usual, or 1-sided dual layer with 4 movies which amounts to the same thing. Overcompression looks worse than a good VHS tape in my opinion.

SethDLH 06-17-12 04:58 PM

Grabbed the sci-fi set particularly for Raiders Of Atlantis and a few other titles. Good enough bargain for me.

critterdvd 06-18-12 04:36 PM

I purchased the Horror set after missing one of the boxes at target for $9.99 a few months ago. None of the movies are fantastic, but it's a nice little set to have sitting around when you want to kill about 75minutes. Some of the stuff I've never heard of before is pretty interesting, especially in a historical standpoint. But with that said about 15% of the set is nearly unwatchable....

MigusMaximus 06-28-12 12:51 AM

Are these all out of the stores now? The Coventry, RI store had them gone last Friday....the Plainfield Pike Cranston store had them a little longer but were gone as of yesterday....got the Horror and Sci Fi collections but really wanted the comedy and kinda wanted the Suspense Mystery.....think I may have to wait for these to show up used in my local FYE, Movie Stop or (at least here in New England) Newberry Comics?

SethDLH 06-28-12 09:31 AM

Yea, as expected they didn't last long after Father's Day. They were just comprised of 2 previously released 50 movie sets that you can still easily get.

MigusMaximus 06-28-12 10:00 PM

But at that price? Beyond the two sales of these that WalMart has had, the only other place Ive seen each individual 50 movie set under 10 bucks is Target. I have seen these pop up in my searches in FYE and MovieStop, but always prices in the 20-30 dollar range. About the same on Ebay (dont shop on Amazon). I shouldnt panic...I gotta figure these sets will drift in and out of each store intermitantly....

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 06-28-12 10:29 PM

Although the basic horror and sci-fi sets should be safe, many of the other sets have gone out of print and the prices skyrocket. Just something to consider.

SethDLH 06-28-12 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by MigusMaximus (Post 11289380)
But at that price? Beyond the two sales of these that WalMart has had, the only other place Ive seen each individual 50 movie set under 10 bucks is Target. I have seen these pop up in my searches in FYE and MovieStop, but always prices in the 20-30 dollar range. About the same on Ebay (dont shop on Amazon). I shouldnt panic...I gotta figure these sets will drift in and out of each store intermitantly....

They're generally around $10 each, which is a dollar more than they were at WM.