DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Major bargains on Universal & Warner DVDs at J&R (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/601874-major-bargains-universal-warner-dvds-j-r.html)

JoeDoakes 05-24-12 04:56 PM

Major bargains on Universal & Warner DVDs at J&R

I have been meaning to post this for a while. There is a companion Universal blu ray sale discussed on the blu bargains board that is rather weak, as all of the blus are from Universal's last 15 or so years of theatrical releases. J&R also has a 2 for $12 DVD sale on Universal DVDs that is about as extensive as the recent Fox/MGM DVD sale (albeit that the price for 2 DVDs is $1 more). Also, there is also a Warner DVD similar to that in February in that it only has around 80 titles, but the titles are generally different from the earlier sale. There is a Warner blu sale too, but the prices are not great. There is another set of Universal DVD bargains that is not included in the 2 for $12 sale and it includes the 2 disk Imitation of Life for $6.99. Free shipping can be had by joining Friends with Benefits for free. There is a coupon for $15 off $150 or more, but I am not sure if it is available with the free shipping (code: MEMORIALDAY until the 29th). See here for all deals: http://www.jr.com/promotions/.

ProfessorEcho 05-25-12 12:20 AM

Re: Major bargains on Universal & Warner DVDs at J&R

Joe, links to the individual sales would have helped, but thanks for posting.

Warner Brothers $4.99 Sale

Universal 2 for $12 Sale

Warner sale only so-so. Many titles have been at Big Lots for less.

Universal sale also so-so. Same as for the Warners sale, many of these titles have been available at Big Lots and Walmart for less. The Universal monster double features are a pretty good deal, however, and preferable to the problem ridden Legacy sets. Other Universal classic releases cheaper than Amazon for the most part, but shop around first.

I picked up:

THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR (OOS)
MIDNIGHT
CRISS CROSS
THE HEIRESS

JoeDoakes 05-25-12 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11246513)
Joe, links to the individual sales would have helped, but thanks for posting.

Warner Brothers $4.99 Sale

Universal 2 for $12 Sale

Warner sale only so-so. Many titles have been at Big Lots for less.

Universal sale also so-so. Same as for the Warners sale, many of these titles have been available at Big Lots and Walmart for less. The Universal monster double features are a pretty good deal, however, and preferable to the problem ridden Legacy sets. Other Universal classic releases cheaper than Amazon for the most part, but shop around first.

I picked up:

THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR (OOS)
MIDNIGHT
CRISS CROSS
THE HEIRESS

You are right that not everything is a good deal, but I don't think that is different than some of J&R's prior sales. Many of the classic titles are the lowest price I have ever seen or at least seen in the last few years. Universal sells to Big Lots so its possible some things might show up there (I think several of the Universal double features were their in 2009), but who knows if they will. The bottom line is, if there is anything in the Universal classic single disk area that interests you, this is a good time to stock up as almost all of Universal's classic single disk releases are available.

thetao 05-25-12 09:26 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'd been trying to keep tabs on J&R's sales, but still missed this one. I grabbed four Universal titles:

It Came From Outer Space
Cape Fear
The Big Clock
Slaughterhouse Five

$6 per film with no shipping is fantastic, better than what CamelCamelCamel reports for any of these at Amazon.

Greg MacGuffin 05-25-12 11:36 PM

Thanks for posting this. I picked up:

Duel
Silent Running
They Live
The Office: Overtime

ProfessorEcho 05-26-12 02:06 AM

Despite my initially blase feeling about the Uni sale, I revisited it tonight and have to agree with Joe and Tao about there being some good deals that have never, to my knowledge, shown up at Big Lots or Walmart. I guess what disappointed me is that most of these were priced at or near $10-12 when first released so the discount didn't immediately seem all that great. But it's true that some of these have not been discounted anywhere else. Here's my second haul:

So Proudly We Hail
Clint Eastwood - American Icon Collection
Sorrowful Jones/The Paleface
Monsieur Beaucaire/Where There's Life
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Unconquered

The Eastwood set is a no brainer, less than two bucks a title. Even if these eventually show up on Blu, which they might, I'm not so sure I need them in HD. The Bob Hope double features are also a good buy at $3.00 a movie, but I wasn't familiar with most of them so went with the two doubles that I was. Never saw either of the two Gary Cooper titles, but both sounded interesting and have that "epic" feel I like.

I passed on IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE and THIS ISLAND EARTH because they didn't get such hot reviews though likely it's the only versions that will ever be released unless Universal digs into their archives and does OUTER SPACE in 3D Blu. Don't hold your breath. I know this is silly, but as someone who loves original ad art for DVD covers, I was really turned off by the awful cover they chose for IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE.

MooMooMooMoo 05-26-12 08:18 AM

"Friends with Benefits".............. at least it's an innovative way to title a rewards card, but somehow it rubs me the wrong way............

joe_b 05-26-12 01:56 PM

This sale gives me an excuse to scratch off the remaining Universal titles from my wishlist.

Amazon Women on the Moon
Clint Eastwood: American Icon Collection
Ghost Story
I Wanna Hold Your Hand
It Came From Outer Space
MetalStorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn
Silent Running
This Island Earth

Was hoping to get these for $5 or less, but I was tired of waiting for them to show up at Big Lots. $6 is still the cheapest I've seen these titles sell for, new or used.