Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

AMAZON (DEAL OF THE DAY 04-11-12) Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series $66.99

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

AMAZON (DEAL OF THE DAY 04-11-12) Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series $66.99

Old 04-11-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-11-12, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: AMAZON (DEAL OF THE DAY 04-11-12) Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series $66.99

It was a DotD at this same price last April. I was flat broke at the time and had to pass, but I think I'll have to go for it now. Would have loved to see it dip below $60 (considering I'm paying tax ), but I've wanted this set for too long now.
Old 04-11-12, 06:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: AMAZON (DEAL OF THE DAY 04-11-12) Dick Van Dyke Show - The Complete Series $66.99

Quite possibly the greatest sitcom of all time. I remember doing a marathon of the entire series while recovering from wisdom teeth extraction and never experienced burn-out or overload...and never felt like there were any truly dud episodes. No shark-jumping here! --Peter
Old 04-11-12, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
It was a DotD at this same price last April. I was flat broke at the time and had to pass, but I think I'll have to go for it now. Would have loved to see it dip below $60 (considering I'm paying tax ), but I've wanted this set for too long now.
Joe, believe me when i tell you, it's worth every penny as it's a great show and at that price, a steal of a deal. I got it for a friend of mine last year and she absolutely loves it. Go for it if you can afford it.
Old 04-11-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's still a lot of money to me, but I had to go for it today as I don't think it will go cheaper until DVD as a format is all but dead. And who knows if it will even still be in print by that time.

EDIT: I created an account at CamelCamelCamel to check the price history of this set, but all I am getting is the current price. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by ProfessorEcho; 04-11-12 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-11-12, 11:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
It's still a lot of money to me, but I had to go for it today as I don't think it will go cheaper until DVD as a format is all but dead. And who knows if it will even still be in print by that time.

EDIT: I created an account at CamelCamelCamel to check the price history of this set, but all I am getting is the current price. What am I doing wrong?
Once the search list comes up, you need to click on the title to get more details on it. Then you will see a graph going back to 2008 (when i think camel started tracking). This is tied as the lowest price it has ever been.

A great deal for a great show. I have the individual seasons sets which have the lenticular (sp?) covers. I'm not sure the difference with the complete set.
Old 04-12-12, 06:51 AM

This was my reasoning as well. But after sleeping on it, I decided to cancel my order anyway. Call me stingy, but it's that pesky $4+ sales tax that sours the deal. Submitted my request to Amazon, but it was ultimately too late to change anything. Oh, well. I'll still be happy to finally own this set. I really don't see it ever going for less than $60. Sure, it breaks my $10 per season rule -- but Image Entertainment titles are hardly ever discounted that low.

With my luck, blu-ray sets of this series will be announced tomorrow. I know it's a long-shot, but who would have thought Image would start giving us the Herschell Gordon Lewis catalog in high def? Anything is possible.

Last edited by joe_b; 04-12-12 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was my reasoning as well. But after sleeping on it, I decided to cancel my order anyway. Call me stingy, but it's that pesky $4+ sales tax that sours the deal. Submitted my request to Amazon, but it was ultimately too late to change anything. Oh, well. I'll still be happy to finally own this set. I really don't see it ever going for less than $60. Sure, it breaks my $10 per season rule -- but Image Entertainment titles are hardly ever discounted that low.

With my luck, blu-ray sets of this series will be announced tomorrow. I know it's a long-shot, but who would have thought Image would start giving us the Herschell Gordon Lewis catalog in high def? Anything is possible.
I have been wondering about whether they will issue a blu set too. I also would prefer the individual season sets. However, I passed on this last year, and have neither seen any better deals or a blu announcement. I am not going to open it for a while, and I figure at the price, it will be likely easy enough to sell later on.
Old 04-12-12, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

If it's any consolation, there are 30+ episodes per season of this show, far more than what you find on current TV-on-DVD sets.
Old 04-12-12, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

@ bsmith: Thanks for the help in navigating the CCC site!

@joe b: I actually woke up at 2am last night and decided to cancel my order. I was still within the time frame to cancel, but when I went back to the page and saw how much the price on the set rose, I decided I would just keep my order. Comparably, it really was an extraordinary deal yesterday.

As to the set going Blu, I doubt it very much as thus far there have been virtually no vintage series that have gone Blu except for the usual suspects of STAR TREK, TWILIGHT ZONE and THE PRISONER. My guess is that I LOVE LUCY would be the first catalog sitcom to go Blu and if that was successful perhaps we would see more, but with IMAGE dealing with bankruptcy issues, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. Besides, much as I love the series, it's not one I need to see in Blu. Seeing the sweat on Mel Cooley's cueball head holds no appeal for me.
Old 07-24-12, 04:37 AM

With my luck, blu-ray sets of this series will be announced tomorrow.
DAMN YOU, IMAGE!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/603...y-october.html

Can you tell I'm bitter?

In all seriousness, the secondary market for this set is sitting at around $80. After fees, I'd probably barely break even trying to sell mine. I'll just live with standard def for this show, I suppose.
Old 07-25-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haha so much for the doubts I posted above! But I maintain my conviction that Blu transfers of this particular series do not in any way slight the Standard release. I can think of dozens of vintage series that would clearly benefit from Blu and this isn't one of them.
Old 07-26-12, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of dozens of vintage series that would clearly benefit from Blu and this isn't one of them.
This show was shot on film, so as long as the original elements are in good condition and they are transferred properly, the Blu-Ray will look better than the DVD.
Old 07-26-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravid
This show was shot on film, so as long as the original elements are in good condition and they are transferred properly, the Blu-Ray will look better than the DVD.
Everything in the 60s was shot on film.
Old 07-26-12, 01:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Just because something was shot on film does not mean it will look significantly better in blu-ray. It they source from the original negative, then the improvements can be spectacular (provided they couple that with a high bit-rate on the disc itself).

I'll get more excited if there are some significant extras for the blu-ray; as I recall, most of the extras on the DVD set were short clips peppere throughout the discs. I'd love to see comprehensive documentaries on the show as a whole as well as the individual stars.

Peter
Old 07-26-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ravid
I didn't mean to infer that it wouldn't look better, just that for me the upgrade in quality is unnecessary. I don't see it adding anything to my enjoyment and appreciation of the show that isn't already satiated by the standard set.
Old 07-26-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Everything in the 60s was shot on film.
Not true. Soap operas and other series (e.g. early seasons of THE AVENGERS, TATE, etc.) were shot on videotape.