Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Three Stooges Ultimate 61.99 plus ship at Buy.com

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Three Stooges Ultimate 61.99 plus ship at Buy.com

I just got an email from Buy.com stating the item was no longer available from the supplier and that my order was cancelled!!! Anyone else who pre-ordered get that as well??? WTF
Old 03-14-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by smurr05
I just got an email from Buy.com stating the item was no longer available from the supplier and that my order was cancelled!!! Anyone else who pre-ordered get that as well??? WTF
Yet they're still selling it... Bizarre.
Old 03-14-12, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strange reason for a cancel... I mean, of course it isn't available from the supplier. It's not released yet.
Old 03-14-12, 06:43 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Buy.com used to be pretty bad years ago. But, lately I've had great results from them. I've made probably a dozen orders in the last year with no problems. I have noticed that there prices haven't been as competitive lately. So I haven't ordered as much until this.
Old 03-15-12, 05:35 AM
Banned

I really don't know about them! I emailed them and they indeed told me the item was still available for pre-order and that they were not sure why I got that email and apologized for the confusion. I went ahead anyway and re-ordered at a slightly higher price though...$63.99! Again
Old 03-16-12, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I spent $60 on the first five. Since I'm Curly-only, I don't need the rest. Sucks to miss out on extras, but... pass.
Old 03-16-12, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by izatright
...Sucks to miss out on extras, but... pass.
The extras will be released as a stand-alone package.
Old 03-16-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The extras will be released as a stand-alone package.
Like Bob said, Sony is releasing the latest volume separately but no word on when or how much it will be.
Old 03-17-12, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
I think I spent $60 on the first five. Since I'm Curly-only, I don't need the rest. Sucks to miss out on extras, but... pass.
Woo woo woo! I'm a Curly fan too, but I can tolerate Shemp sometimes by concentrating on Moe and Larry. Curly can make me laugh by simply existing on screen. Shemp rarely makes me laugh because of anything he does but rather because of what Moe and Larry because of him. I still remember some of Larry's throw away lines that really made me laugh (usually thrown away in TV edits) in A Plumbin' We Will Go like when Moe asks what the straps on the clothing they used to wrap a pipe are for and Larry says "they're so you can swing on" or in Men in Black when Larry says "let's pluck him and see if he's ripe". The other later stooges were worthless to me. I did buy all of the volumes because they were on sale. I'm hoping Sony will announce the details of the final bonus set soon. I still want to try to sell mine on eBay as That'sAllFolks suggested, but if the final set is cheap enough maybe I would stick with what I have. It's a matter of what comes first... selling it on eBay (which is on my list of things to do this weekend but whether I actually get to it is another question) or the details of the last set from Sony.
Old 04-20-12, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Three Stooges Ultimate is 69.99 at Amazon now. Good if you have GC or Reward pts. to use. Hopefully it will go down a bit more before it is released as they do have thier low price guarntee thing.
Old 04-20-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If B&N keeps the price like that when it comes out, or you're lucky enough to have a store let you use coupons on pre-orders, you can get it for $52.
Old 04-21-12, 09:07 PM

Thanks, ernestrp. For a difference of $3.10, I might as well order from Amazon since I do have a bunch of credit there and none at Buy. On top of that, I don't trust Buy.com to get it in on time or not cancel the preorder. At least with Amazon I know I'll get it. I'm ordering now only because I can never trust Amazon not to jack their prices back up at any moment, so it's always safest to preorder soon.

To be safe I assume I should cancel my Buy.com preorder a week before June 5th?

I recently learned how (poorly) Amazon credit works. With Amazon credit an Amazon preorder LOCKS UP the full amount of the order from your Amazon credit until it ships. Not only that but if the preorder price drops the full original credit amount remains locked until it ships. I called them once about it and to paraphrase they said that's just the way it is so live with it. It would be much nicer if Amazon didn't lock any Amazon credit up front, and if you are out of credit when it ships then simply charge the balance to the credit card. (That would make so much sense they couldn't possibly change their system to do that.)

Another positive (besides the preorder price guarantee which Buy.com doesn't have) is that with no coupons here, it'll be easy as pie to cancel and reorder if I need to. If the price hasn't gone up and I need to use my locked credit, I can cancel, order the other item, and re-preorder. What an unnecessary pain, but at least Amazon's site is easy to use.
Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
If B&N keeps the price like that when it comes out, or you're lucky enough to have a store let you use coupons on pre-orders, you can get it for $52.
I'd forego the Amazon route and using my credit if I could get it for $52. However, it sounds like it's really YMMV, and my last preorder with coupon experience with B&N for the Star Wars set required several phone calls before they finally shipped mine to me. Which coupon would I (try to) use at B&N to get it for $52 if I wanted to try?
Old 04-22-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's some 20% off coupons in the B&N thread that you can print out. You normally can't use coupons on pre-orders online but some have had success when they go to a local store.
Old 04-22-12, 07:01 PM

People who bought the original volumes are really being made suckers. Most people (including me) probably paid 15-20 bucks a piece for the original 8 volumes. Now included in this big box set, along with an exclusive 9th volume containing material Stooge fans have waited eons for, you're looking at about 7-8 bucks for each of the 9 volumes (at current pre-order prices).

The diehard Stooge fan is salivating over properly, official, likely remastered releases of the solo shorts. Those have never seen the light of day on any format, never have showed up on TV, and collector copies are generally in wretched shape.

The 9th volume ("rare treasures") may be released later on, but there's no indication of when.
Old 04-22-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rdf8585
People who bought the original volumes are really being made suckers. Most people (including me) probably paid 15-20 bucks a piece for the original 8 volumes. Now included in this big box set, along with an exclusive 9th volume containing material Stooge fans have waited eons for, you're looking at about 7-8 bucks for each of the 9 volumes (at current pre-order prices).

The diehard Stooge fan is salivating over properly, official, likely remastered releases of the solo shorts. Those have never seen the light of day on any format, never have showed up on TV, and collector copies are generally in wretched shape.

The 9th volume ("rare treasures") may be released later on, but there's no indication of when.
I believe that Sony, on their Facebook page, stated they are going to make this 9th Volume available as a separate entity, but the timeframe has still yet not been determined...maybe in the fall, the holidays, who knows.
Old 04-22-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Thanks for that tip. Canceling my buy.com order...
Old 05-22-12, 12:06 PM

Anyone notice that buy.com has this for 61.99 and says its "in stock" and ships within 24 hours? Release date is 6/5.

Has anyone's pre-orders from there shipped?
Old 05-22-12, 12:18 PM

Anyone notice that buy.com has this for 61.99 and says its "in stock" and ships within 24 hours? Release date is 6/5.

Has anyone's pre-orders from there shipped?
I'd be interested in hearing that as well. I canceled my Buy.com order a few weeks ago and preordered it from Amazon at $69.99. Buy.com gave me a lot of grief canceling weeks in advance requiring me to send emails because they said that it was already being processed in the shipping center when it hadn't even been released. So I believe Buy is just messed up and won't be shipping anything early. This makes me hesitant to preorder stuff from them, and I'm hesitant to cancel my Amazon order and order from Buy again over $8.

It would be much better if Amazon would lower their price. I submitted a lower price info for Buy.com to Amazon, and maybe if others did it Amazon MIGHT lower the price.
Old 05-22-12, 12:31 PM

It has said "in stock, usually ships in 24 hours" for at least the past 2 days. Oddly, other items due out on 6/5 still say "this is a pre-order."
Old 05-22-12, 01:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Manzana
I'd be interested in hearing that as well. I canceled my Buy.com order a few weeks ago and preordered it from Amazon at $69.99. Buy.com gave me a lot of grief canceling weeks in advance requiring me to send emails because they said that it was already being processed in the shipping center when it hadn't even been released. So I believe Buy is just messed up and won't be shipping anything early. This makes me hesitant to preorder stuff from them, and I'm hesitant to cancel my Amazon order and order from Buy again over $8.

It would be much better if Amazon would lower their price. I submitted a lower price info for Buy.com to Amazon, and maybe if others did it Amazon MIGHT lower the price.
Yep, I got the same story from them! I tried to cancel and was told the same thing, even when I wrote back and said whats up with that the damn thing is weeks away from release date!!!
BUT they did take off $2.00 for the again lowered price!
Old 05-22-12, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BUY.com isn't a reputable website and their customer service has got to be the very worst when helping their customers out with issues as some of you guys on here have detailed. Better to pay a tiny bit more than having to play games with that website and then they give you BS excuses as to why one cancels a pre-order. Ordered from them once but never again. Not very organized there.
Old 05-22-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had an easy time doing a cancel. I asked and then they just did it.
Old 05-22-12, 09:40 PM

I ordered from Buy once before (in 2010) and didn't have any problems. But it has horrible reviews on ResellerRatings, though it's also a "Google Trusted" store and is rated well on BizRate.
Old 05-23-12, 09:30 AM

I ordered from Buy once before (in 2010) and didn't have any problems. But it has horrible reviews on ResellerRatings, though it's also a "Google Trusted" store and is rated well on BizRate.
The problems don't generally occur when you preorder stuff as they usually ship it roughly when it releases. The problems potentially occur if you want to cancel or need some help from customer service. Their online system should let you cancel the order online, but for some reason they messed this one up and took away that option requiring emailing customer service who came back and said it couldn't be canceled because it was being processed, so then I had to tell them to do it anyway because it hadn't been released.

If you just preorder and never touch your order again, you'll probably be OK with Buy. I'm still probably just going to pay the extra $8 at Amazon because Buy customer service is poor and because I have Amazon credit.
Old 05-24-12, 05:08 PM

Back to saying pre-order now.