Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Amazon: GODZILLA COLLECTION $18.99

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts
Amazon: GODZILLA COLLECTION $18.99

Apologies in advance if this has been mentioned, but this seems like a very decent price considering the content of this box. It had been $25.99 for the past couple of weeks (maybe longer?), which seemed fair enough, but this is much harder to pass up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXWK86/

Last edited by Brian T; 03-09-11 at 02:05 AM.
Old 03-08-11, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Amazon: GODZILLA COLLECTION $18.99

It's a VERY nice box set. The box itself is VERY sturdy and the contents are beautiful. WELL worth <20 bucks.

I paid about 30 and was very satisfied.
Old 03-08-11, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Killer deal.
Old 03-08-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered this a while back for about $30, but the box I got was different than what is pictured. The DVDs were just in a flimsy box a bit thicker than Shout's MST3K sets. Same art, just not nearly as sturdy looking as the one it shows on Amazon. $19 is a great price, and the actual DVD cases are beautiful, just a heads up that it might come in the cheaper box.
Old 03-09-11, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Phibes
I ordered this a while back for about $30, but the box I got was different than what is pictured. The DVDs were just in a flimsy box a bit thicker than Shout's MST3K sets. Same art, just not nearly as sturdy looking as the one it shows on Amazon. $19 is a great price, and the actual DVD cases are beautiful, just a heads up that it might come in the cheaper box.
Yeah, the first "sturdy" boxset is OOP. The outer cover on the re-release is like comparing a softcover to a hardcover book. The individual cases for the films are now paper (with a faux metal appearance) and IIRC the individual cases in the original release were actually metal.

It's still an excellent price and set.
Old 03-09-11, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Great price, paid $31 last summer and that was a steal.
Old 03-09-11, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Yeah, the first "sturdy" boxset is OOP. The outer cover on the re-release is like comparing a softcover to a hardcover book. The individual cases for the films are now paper (with a faux metal appearance) and IIRC the individual cases in the original release were actually metal.

It's still an excellent price and set.
Original individual releases were all digipaks; no metal cases.

Even if the outer box has been downgraded, this is still a great price!
Old 03-09-11, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! Good deal. Same I've already bought 4 of the titles separately. Otherwise I'd jump all over this.
Old 03-09-11, 10:48 AM

I'm interested in getting ahold of a good set of Godzilla movies done right, but I already have the 2-disc Gojira, and an old 5-film set from Simitar, which, upon further research, looks like every movie is in both sets. Hmm.
Old 03-09-11, 10:52 AM

$18.99. this is a super deal folks, the extras alone are worth $18.99.
Old 03-09-11, 10:54 AM

The original Japanese version of Godzilla (not really seen in America very much until the dvd age) is actually quite a good movie as well, much much better than the American version.
Old 03-09-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by JiM T
I'm interested in getting ahold of a good set of Godzilla movies done right, but I already have the 2-disc Gojira, and an old 5-film set from Simitar, which, upon further research, looks like every movie is in both sets. Hmm.
Those Simitar discs were pretty decent for their time (and sold for handsome prices when they went OOP), but are seriously lacking in comparison to these newer editions, which usually feature both the English and Japanese versions of the films, as well as assorted supplements. The Simitar discs, while widescreen, contained only the English-language versions.
Old 03-09-11, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by JiM T
Brian T is right, dump your old Simitars and sell your new copy of Gojira.
Old 03-09-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D'ohboy
Brian T is right, dump your old Simitars and sell your new copy of Gojira.
That will cover the $18.99 right there.
Old 03-09-11, 12:32 PM
Cool New Member

On a related kaiju note, Amazon also has some good prices on some titles for everyone's favorite flying turtle, Gamera. (Sorry--I can't post links)

Gamera: Guardian of Universe & Gamera: Attack of Legion (Blu-ray) $5.99
Gamera: The Giant Monster $10.99 (DVD)
Gamera Vs Barugon $11.49 (DVD)
Gamera Vs Guiron /Gamera Vs Jiger $10.99 (DVD)
Old 03-09-11, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Whit9999
On a related kaiju note, Amazon also has some good prices on some titles for everyone's favorite flying turtle, Gamera. (Sorry--I can't post links)

Gamera: Guardian of Universe & Gamera: Attack of Legion (Blu-ray) $5.99
Gamera: The Giant Monster $10.99 (DVD)
Gamera Vs Barugon $11.49 (DVD)
Gamera Vs Guiron /Gamera Vs Jiger $10.99 (DVD)
Hmmnnn...Shout Factory has a deal for all five Showa's for $74 shipped and includes an exclusive postcard set.

Wish they were all at the $10.99 price point at Amazon.

On the other hand, maybe I should just wait until they come down in price like the Godzilla set...
(...but I'd kinda like those damn postcards...)
Old 03-09-11, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

What can I say that hasn't been? Great deal for great editions of these flicks.
Old 03-09-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by D'ohboy
Original individual releases were all digipaks; no metal cases.
Right, not metal like a steel book, but a digipak (like you said) with the exterior wrapped in a metal foil of some sort. They seemed more durable than the cases from the newer set. But I thought I heard reports of people having problems getting the discs out of those cases, which hasn't been a problem with the new cases.
Old 03-09-11, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

it's times like this I wish I still had prime.
Old 03-09-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Right, not metal like a steel book, but a digipak (like you said) with the exterior wrapped in a metal foil of some sort. They seemed more durable than the cases from the newer set. But I thought I heard reports of people having problems getting the discs out of those cases, which hasn't been a problem with the new cases.
I picked up the "Gojira" set shortly after release and had no problem getting the disks out of the cases. But I'll know soon after this ships whether or not the single release cases are different (they look the same in the photos on amazon) as I already have 3 of the titles in the set. For the price it was very easy to justify a double-dip as I'll either gift or sell the dups in the set.
Old 03-09-11, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm...Can't decide...can't decide.

I already have Mothra vs. Godzilla, which is an all time favorite as a kid. I'd like to get "Gojira / King of the Monsters (2 disc set)" that currently goes for $10. So do I spend another $9 for movies I'm not sure I will get into (have never seen them), or save $9 and have the two I know i will get plenty of enjoyment from. Decisions, decisions...
Old 03-09-11, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Do it... "Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster" is on a par with "Mothra vs. Godzilla" and very fun. Add to that the sequel to "Gojira", "Godzilla Raids Again" (aka "Gigantis the Fire Monster") which is not too bad and you have 4 films worth owning. Call the others a bonus for your entry fee.

Links are to reviews here on DVD Talk - there are others for each of these films - all good.
Old 03-09-11, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just today I was watching All Monsters Attack! with my son, but I only had that and Gojira, I'll definitely bump up to this set and sell my spares.
Old 03-09-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the post! I already have 3 of the disks, but for $18.99, it's worth it to get the rest. THANKS!
Old 03-09-11, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^Do it... "Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster" is on a par with "Mothra vs. Godzilla" and very fun. Add to that the sequel to "Gojira", "Godzilla Raids Again" (aka "Gigantis the Fire Monster") which is not too bad and you have 4 films worth owning. Call the others a bonus for your entry fee.

Links are to reviews here on DVD Talk - there are others for each of these films - all good.
Okay Bob, you win, or maybe I do, hopefully.

I had just come up from watching two TZ's off the new BR releases and decided to order just "Gojira" and two other titles to get free shipping. Then I came back to this post. I guess all I needed was a nudge because I quickly cancelled my order and made a new one with this collection included.

The other item to get the free shipping was "Last American Hero". Funny thing I was setting up to capture something off the DVR tonight and ended up seeing a brief segment on THIS. It's an old Jeff Bridges movie about stock car racing that I haven't seen for a very long time and completely forgot about. I'm as excited to get this as Godzilla. Hopefully it stll holds up after all these years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.