Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Suncoast Going Out Of Business in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-12, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suncoast Going Out Of Business in Hawaii

If this has already been posted, my apologies to the mods...delete if necessary.

Anyway, I just came back from a visit to Windward Mall in Kaneohe (Oahu) and everything is 40%, 50% and in some rare instances 60% Off. I picked up Royal Flash and Night Moves for 50% Off, for a total of $14.12 tax included. The lady at the store said they're probably going to be gone entirely by the 2nd week of February so get while the gettin's good...there was plenty of inventory and most of it was new stock, not re-packaged old stock.
Old 01-26-12, 06:17 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Suncoast Going Out Of Business in Hawaii

I thought that all of the Suncoast stores had already gone out of business.

I know at my local mall as of 5 years ago we had SunCoast, Sam Goody, and FYE.

Now we only have FYE because of mergers and going out of business.

I miss SunCoast...I liked how they always had a seperate section for non-disc merchadise and did good sales. I racked up when they closed out though....by the end of it got like $500 of stuff for close to $100.
Old 01-26-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine closed earlier this week I think. I kept meaning to go back, but never did. It was only 20% off the last time I was in there. Our store had been in the same location for as long as I can remember. Over 20 years I think. I'll truly miss it... I haven't bought anything there in ages, but I always love browsing there. I used to buy there frequently, when I had a membership...
Old 01-26-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Suncoast still exists? News to me.
Old 01-26-12, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Suncoast still exists? News to me.
That's how I feel about Blockbuster.
Old 01-26-12, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I've heard on another board that a number of FYE's are shutting down. I would sure like to find a complete list of store closings to see if any within 100 miles from me are doing going under sales. I have the "backstage pass" but they never send me emails.
Old 01-26-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I didn't realize that apparently the Pearlridge Suncoast closed a year ago.
Old 01-26-12, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I didn't realize that apparently the Pearlridge Suncoast closed a year ago.
Until you posted that message, neither did I...I used to work in Aiea across the street from Pearlridge about 4-5 years ago so I used to go there a lot more often than I do now. So now 4 places I used to be able to get DVDs from in Aiea are gone; Tower Records/Video, Circuit City (don't really miss it that much), Borders and Suncoast.
Old 01-26-12, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I've heard on another board that a number of FYE's are shutting down. I would sure like to find a complete list of store closings to see if any within 100 miles from me are doing going under sales. I have the "backstage pass" but they never send me emails.
The one in our state is shutting down. It still has a Sam Goody sign though. I went there today and they had a 40% off new bluray and 50% off used dvd/bd sale. Prices were still too high.

Two of the remaining 3 Blockbuster stores in Hawaii are also shutting down. I didn't know either that Suncoast Pearlridge shut down last year either until I googled it up.
Old 01-26-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We had 3 or 4 FYE stores and at least one Suncoast but now there's only one FYE left. I really hope it sicks around. It's a very good store with a great group of employees.
Old 01-27-12, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
MooMoo, you might see if that Roan pre-Code set you tried to get from Amazon is available through FYE/Suncoast; they had a lot of boxed sets at the one I went to last night (no Buster Keaton sets, drat!) and some of them were things those of here at DVD Talk would be interested in like the Val Lewton set, several Film Noir sets, a few of the Universal Monster sets (I saw Frankenstein, the Mummy and Creature sets there) etc., so it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility. Nothing to lose by trying anyway.
Old 01-27-12, 07:26 AM
Cool New Member

I just found out the FYE in the next town over closed shop about a year ago due to the crazy high fees they had to pay for their spot in the mall. Mind you this mall is like a ghost town now.

I wonder what has hurt them more....online shopping and rental services or victims of their own successes.
Old 01-27-12, 06:06 PM

Aren't FYE and Suncoast owned by the same company? There is a thread in the Store Forum on FYE closings, which is probably worth a skim for bargain hunters. The FYE across the street from the Park City Mall here in Lancaster is in the process of closing, but there is another FYE and a Suncoast inside the mall, so it's not a huge loss.
Old 01-27-12, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Yup. Trans World Entertainment owns FYE, Suncoast, and Sam Goody. Their defunct brands include Musicland, On Cue, and Mediaplay.
Old 01-27-12, 09:18 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Suncoast Video went out of business around here many years ago. I didn't even know more existed, thought they were extinct. I used to enjoy looking around in their stores... -kd5-
Old 01-27-12, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B.
Yup. Trans World Entertainment owns FYE, Suncoast, and Sam Goody. Their defunct brands include Musicland, On Cue, and Mediaplay.
Don't forget Coconuts, Strawberry's & Saturday Matinee.
Old 01-29-12, 08:14 AM

Was Camelot a defunct name too?

I miss Media Play...it was like Best Buy with a big book section and no boring appliances.
Old 01-29-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pezsoup
Was Camelot a defunct name too?
Yes it was! TWEC had a helluva lotta stores... I don't know why they did that in the first place.
Old 01-29-12, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Back in the 80's Camelot had an awesome cutout section.
Old 01-29-12, 08:36 PM
Cool New Member

TWEC bought up companies as they grew and put the smaller guys out of business.

They created a monopoly in a way.

Gamestop has done the same with video games: EB Games (was intended as a merger), Babbages, Rhino Video Games (from Blockbuster no less), and a few other regional stores.
Old 01-29-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by derrtaysouth95
They created a monopoly in a way
In what way? Let's list some other non-TWEC b&m stores that sell or used to sell CDs and movies:

Walmart
Target
Best Buy
Circuit City
Barnes and Noble
Borders
Tower

And there's plenty more. Sure some of them are gone now but TWEC does not and never had a monopoly in any way.
Old 01-30-12, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They also own "Tape World" and "Record Town", which I assume they are holding on to waiting to cash in when the formats make a huge come back.
Old 01-30-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jwstl
In what way? Let's list some other non-TWEC b&m stores that sell or used to sell CDs and movies:

Walmart
Target
Best Buy
Circuit City
Barnes and Noble
Borders
Tower

And there's plenty more. Sure some of them are gone now but TWEC does not and never had a monopoly in any way.
Well, you are listing all big box stores that, with the exception of Tower, did not specialize in movies and music. So at their height, TWEC kinda had a monopoly on the small movie/music specialty stores... But they've closed so many stores, they certainly don't anymore.
Old 01-30-12, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
Well, you are listing all big box stores that, with the exception of Tower, did not specialize in movies and music. So at their height, TWEC kinda had a monopoly on the small movie/music specialty stores... But they've closed so many stores, they certainly don't anymore.
I guess if you want to use the word "monopoly" in a context outside of its meaning then I guess TWEC had one.
Old 01-30-12, 05:14 PM
Cool New Member

I was using monopoly regarding that category of the market as kenbenobi pointed out.

They had the movies/music only stores that sell new/used dvds on lockdown for a few years. Now they have became victims of their own success and are having to close stores as new options arise like online and the big box stores becoming much more competitive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.