Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

I'm still waiting for my Black Friday buys from VCI to arrive! I got an email saying they were delayed because they were still waiting for one title to come in stock. I hope I get them before Christmas.

As for THE PHANTOM CREEPS being MOD, I'm noticing more and more VCI titles gone that route and it's lit a fire under me to pick up as many of their older pressed releases as I can find, especially the serials. Not knowing what blank media VCI uses for their burned copies, I'm wary of them, especially the dual layered ones.
Old 12-12-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
I'm still waiting for my Black Friday buys from VCI to arrive! I got an email saying they were delayed because they were still waiting for one title to come in stock. I hope I get them before Christmas.

As for THE PHANTOM CREEPS being MOD, I'm noticing more and more VCI titles gone that route and it's lit a fire under me to pick up as many of their older pressed releases as I can find, especially the serials. Not knowing what blank media VCI uses for their burned copies, I'm wary of them, especially the dual layered ones.
I agree. I don't know of ANY decent dual layer media in 2015, & Warner for one actually hides the mid code on there media, which I find disconcerting at best.
Old 12-14-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I agree. I don't know of ANY decent dual layer media in 2015, & Warner for one actually hides the mid code on there media, which I find disconcerting at best.
What does that mean?
Old 12-14-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blank dvd's have a "Manufacturer id code" built into the lead in (basically software) so you can tell who who really made the disc (&/or the dye) (at least theoretically, the MIDS get pirated onto cheap junk also....). A number of free (& paid) programs can read that code (IMGBurn & Nero CD/Disc Speed, are 2 of many examples) The advantage: did you get a quality Tayio Yuden or FTI, or garbage like CMC or Ritek (etc). Warner has contracted with some blank disc manufacturer to either hide the code or to not use it. That goes against all industry standard practice.
Old 12-15-15, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Blank dvd's have a "Manufacturer id code" built into the lead in (basically software) so you can tell who who really made the disc (&/or the dye) (at least theoretically, the MIDS get pirated onto cheap junk also....). A number of free (& paid) programs can read that code (IMGBurn & Nero CD/Disc Speed, are 2 of many examples) The advantage: did you get a quality Tayio Yuden or FTI, or garbage like CMC or Ritek (etc). Warner has contracted with some blank disc manufacturer to either hide the code or to not use it. That goes against all industry standard practice.
So basically they want premium prices for MOD discs, but want to save a few pennies by using cheap discs and hiding the fact they do it. Thanks.
Old 12-15-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

VCI seems a bit overwhelmed by their recent sales. Still haven't received two of the items from my November 25 order, but one came yesterday and it was the wrong title.
Old 12-21-15, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VCI Sale is is back on through 12/31

Code: XMAS60

VCI's website now says the 60% off sale ends today (12/21)at 11:59 pm CST. So, for anyone else who procrastinated and thought they would wait until the after-Christmas slowdown to peruse the site and place an order, heads-up.
Old 12-22-15, 10:55 AM
Banned

Have to be patient with VCI. It took awhile, but my big order arrived...all present & accounted for, with all items in healthy condition.

Now only waiting for back-ordered Amazon titles & Twilight Time sale items (still waiting for Mysterious Island to be released since Screen Archives holds the entire order until all can ship).
Old 12-31-15, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

VCI has temporarily moved several titles to their Bargain Bin section and reduced them to $3.99 each. Some decent stuff, too. The 60% off sale is also still on, but not sure if it stacks with these:

https://www.vcientertainment.com/Fil...-Bin?limit=100
Old 01-15-16, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$3.99 sale includes SOS Coast Guard on factory pressed.

https://www.vcientertainment.com/Fil...os-coast-guard

While only 1 disc, I would assume with the Roan oop, this is probably the best version left (Bela Lugosi).
Old 01-15-16, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This sale has actually been expanded today. They sent out an email blast announcing that a bunch of additional titles have been added at $3.99. Even Gorgo's in there now. Time for another big haul . . .

https://www.vcientertainment.com/Fil...es/Bargain-Bin
Old 01-15-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's where I saw the SOS, also
Old 01-18-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Thanks! I picked up SOS Coast Guard and a couple of other titles. Unfortunately most of what I'd want I already purchased in past sales but it was still worth the effort.
Old 01-18-16, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the shipping, not enough for me to bite. I'm mostly interested in there George Raft titles that I don't yet have on Factory pressed, & right now they're too pricy.
Old 01-18-16, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Shipping would normally kill it for me too but the titles I ordered would have been over twice the amount I paid had I ordered them from Amazon and almost twice that had I used MP vendors. This time it worked out OK.
Old 01-20-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the shipping, not enough for me to bite. I'm mostly interested in there George Raft titles that I don't yet have on Factory pressed, & right now they're too pricy.
Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Shipping would normally kill it for me too but the titles I ordered would have been over twice the amount I paid had I ordered them from Amazon and almost twice that had I used MP vendors. This time it worked out OK.

Not sure if it's clearly mentioned on their site, but VCI does offer free shipping on orders over $50 (well, there is a small $1.50 "handling fee" but on large orders that's negligible). I know when titles are only $3.99 that's means a pretty hefty order, but for me I saw it as an opportunity to sample a whole bunch of movies I'd been eyeing on the site over the years but never pulling the trigger on due to the price. They do offer a nice selection of lesser-known but no less worthy movies that are worth a blind buy at this price point. I ordered 25 titles on Jan. 10, then another 16 on the 16th after they changed the selection (so 41 discs for $166 U.S.). If there's any chance they'll be converting more stuff to DVD-R's as time goes on -- which seems highly likely -- I figured it's best to grab these now. A lot of the titles -- like the Rank Studios pictures -- have been turning up in VCI's multi-feature sets which in many cases work out to about the same per-film price as this sale (although some of those put two movies on one disc and drop the supplements), while a lot of other titles seem to have quietly gone out of print over the years (or are awaiting DVD-R reissues?).

One bonus, I suppose, is that up here in Canada, the Amazon Marketplace prices on still-in-print VCI titles is unfathomably healthy (and largely driven by U.S. sellers for some reason), which at least increases the odds of making a modest profit selling of discs I'm not interested in keeping. So far, though, most of the stuff I've ever bought from VCI ends up in the permanent collection, so we'll see.
Old 01-22-16, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Alright, now I'm convinced VCI is doing this to me on purpose. They've just updated the $3.99 sale again. As if my 41 buys weren't enough!

Some good stuff this time around, too, like The Name of the Game is Kill, Dark Night of the Scarecrow SE, Carve Her Name With Pride, Naked Kiss (different supplements than Criterion's version), Hell Harbor (pre-Code with two versions), all eight 'Scream Theatre' double features, lots of Rank Collection goodies . . .
Old 01-22-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm at $31.92. Looking for suggestions to get to $50.
Old 01-22-16, 06:31 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Promises Promises is still $3.99. Good for Jayne Mansfield fans. They changed many of the bargain items today,
Old 01-22-16, 07:23 PM
g

Originally Posted by Brian T
Alright, now I'm convinced VCI is doing this to me on purpose. They've just updated the $3.99 sale again. As if my 41 buys weren't enough!

Some good stuff this time around, too, like The Name of the Game is Kill, Dark Night of the Scarecrow SE,

That isn't the deluxe version of dark night of the scarecrow. It's missing extra features .
Old 01-22-16, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by g
Promises Promises is still $3.99. Good for Jayne Mansfield fans. They changed many of the bargain items today,
Some went up (A Star Is Born was in my cart & went to $6.99)
Old 01-22-16, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T

Some good stuff this time around, too, like The Name of the Game is Kill, Dark Night of the Scarecrow SE, Carve Her Name With Pride, Naked Kiss (different supplements than Criterion's version), Hell Harbor (pre-Code with two versions), all eight 'Scream Theatre' double features, lots of Rank Collection goodies . . .
Are the Scream Theatre's any good? Alot of the VCI stuff seems to be British B flicks.
Old 01-22-16, 07:51 PM
g

Gabby Cartoons looks good. You get 8 Max Fleisher cartoons plus the bonus animated movie Gullivers Travels.
Old 01-23-16, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if the Santo movies have subtitles? They aren't listed and the trailers on the page don't have them.
Old 01-23-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Does anyone know if the Santo movies have subtitles? They aren't listed and the trailers on the page don't have them.
They do not. None of their Mexican titles do unless the description specifically lists them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.