DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/597769-official-vci-roan-alpha-bargain-thread.html)

MooMooMooMoo 02-29-12 09:36 PM

Re: Official VCI/ROAN/ALPHA Bargain Thread

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 11134792)
Got my Lonely Wives today!!!

DVD-R. Unlike Human Bondage, this was wrapped as if it were professionally done. The printing on the disc itself is about the same as the set with Human Bondage. On this, as well as the discs in the pre code set, the printing on the disc is messed up looking in a similar way around the bottom half of the center hole.

I'd wager both things came from the same source.

Crap.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 01:34 AM

Maybe you'll be the lucky one.

MooMooMooMoo 03-01-12 03:13 AM

I doubt it. DD is usually a pain on returns. How did they respond to you?

MooMooMooMoo 03-01-12 03:15 AM

I'd really like to find out who's doing these pirates, as lots of big drop shippers AND AMAZON are selling them. If i remember correctly, didn't someone post a reply from Troma on the Pre Code thread that they had nothing to do with these?

bacigalup 03-01-12 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11135176)
I'd really like to find out who's doing these pirates, as lots of big drop shippers AND AMAZON are selling them. If i remember correctly, didn't someone post a reply from Troma on the Pre Code thread that they had nothing to do with these?

'Twas I, sir!

Here was the response I received:

"That is our cover, but that DVDR stamp on the bottom is not on our case.
It should say DVD with the word video under it. What site did you buy it
off of? We do not have any in stock, so our guess might be that if the
DVD itself does not have an imprint of the title on it then it is probably
not legit. Covers can always be copied on a color copy machine...."

John Sinnott 03-01-12 09:43 AM

I just heard back from my contact at Troma (the director of Pubic Relations), and she says "yes - they're legitimate releases, like the Warner Archive program."

I guess that explains where they're coming from.

GoldenWheels 03-01-12 10:11 AM

Are the Roan's really good prints or something? Or are some of these the only editions available? Looking real quick I see a lot of the old PD standbys but definitely some which seem unique.

Is there a story to how Troma acquired these? They couldn't be further apart from their normal "material".

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by bacigalup (Post 11135279)
'Twas I, sir!

Here was the response I received:

"That is our cover, but that DVDR stamp on the bottom is not on our case.
It should say DVD with the word video under it. What site did you buy it
off of? We do not have any in stock, so our guess might be that if the
DVD itself does not have an imprint of the title on it then it is probably
not legit. Covers can always be copied on a color copy machine...."

Left hand, meet right hand.

Originally Posted by John Sinnott (Post 11135457)
I just heard back from my contact at Troma (the director of Pubic Relations), and she says "yes - they're legitimate releases, like the Warner Archive program."

I guess that explains where they're coming from.

ProfessorEcho 03-01-12 11:55 AM

Still anticipating a DVD-R of RAIN to show up given that it's OOP and commanding such high prices.

As Moo alluded to earlier, if Troma isn't behind these DVD-Rs, why wouldn't they at least be looking into copyright infringement on their packaging? Maybe they never copyrighted their packaging? But I would think their name is trademarked. Probably too much of a hassle for them to bother with legal action for such minor stuff and on public domain titles. Or for all we know they ARE investigating it. Or THEY are the ones making these!

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 12:12 PM

I'm assuming they are making them since we got a response from someone higher up the food chain saying they're legit. Or maybe I'm missing the point you're making.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 02:58 PM

The VCI website has a new look! You spoke - we listened and made our site cleaner and more user friendly.
To celebrate our grand re-opening, we are offering all DVDs and Blu-rays at 10% off our already discounted web price! Visit www.vcientertainment.com today, and enter the following code GRAND in your shopping cart to apply the discount. The code expires at 11:59pm CST, March 14th, so don't delay!

ProfessorEcho 03-01-12 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 11135724)
I'm assuming they are making them since we got a response from someone higher up the food chain saying they're legit. Or maybe I'm missing the point you're making.

No, you're not missing any point, I'm the one who is missing, all the posts after #50. I read that one first thing today and thought it was the most recent post, so I responded to it without realizing others had already replied to it. Either that or my post was delayed somehow from appearing where it was supposed to be.

Whatever, it makes perfect sense that Troma would be doing this as I surmised earlier when I mentioned seeing both ANCHOR BAY and VCI DVD-Rs. Why they initially denied it with such specificity is anyone's guess. ???

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 05:33 PM

My uneducated guess is it was some intern that doesn't know any better.

We should try and get a third answer for the tie breaker.

MooMooMooMoo 03-01-12 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels (Post 11135508)
Are the Roan's really good prints or something? Or are some of these the only editions available? Looking real quick I see a lot of the old PD standbys but definitely some which seem unique.

Is there a story to how Troma acquired these? They couldn't be further apart from their normal "material".

yes, the Roans are usually the best PD prints out there.

The co was started by Cary Roan who did the restorations. he sold the company to Troma who ruined it.

MooMooMooMoo 03-01-12 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11136153)
No, you're not missing any point, I'm the one who is missing, all the posts after #50. I read that one first thing today and thought it was the most recent post, so I responded to it without realizing others had already replied to it. Either that or my post was delayed somehow from appearing where it was supposed to be.

Whatever, it makes perfect sense that Troma would be doing this as I surmised earlier when I mentioned seeing both ANCHOR BAY and VCI DVD-Rs. Why they initially denied it with such specificity is anyone's guess. ???

My problem is that the for sale listings don't state "dvdr".

Not looking forward to fighting with DD on the return of Lonely Wives.

I've always hated Troma, from my first experience with their dreadful cs. IMO, 99.9% of the releases under the "Troma" imprint are garbage.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 06:01 PM

I loved growing up with stuff like The Toxic Avenger, when it first came out. Then after they had failures that got them out of regular theaters they turned into some annoying indie company that put out crap DTV films while congratulating themselves, acting as if they had a choice in not being more mainstream like they used to, while at the same time trying to position themselves so that they could make money by letting Hollywood remake their films. I find Lloyd to be one of the most annoying people on DVD and I hate seeing him at the beginning of Troma films. The only thing worse than that is listening to his commentaries.

GoldenWheels 03-01-12 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11136248)
yes, the Roans are usually the best PD prints out there.

The co was started by Cary Roan who did the restorations. he sold the company to Troma who ruined it.

Gotcha....I am looking at old PD/multi pack standbys like Lady of Burlesque and DOA and going...whats the story here? These can be had for peanuts. But finding GOOD PD prints is indeed a very tough nut sometimes.

What a bizarre pickup for them though. The product is just so far from their normal...er...stuff.

(I share your opinion of their imprint largely....the .1% I approve of being Toxie 1, which I love dearly. But I've got a fairly high drek tolerance and have probably turned off more Troma films than any other brand.)

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-01-12 09:12 PM

Maybe someone thought they'd go off in a different direction for a moment but then went back to business as usual?

edit: http://www.roangroup.com/press-relea...es-roan-group/

Sounds like he joined Troma because he thought they'd be a good distributor and would expand what he's already done. Nothing like signing up with the people that brought you The Toxic Avenger when one is looking for quality. It's not even early Troma but even crappier Troma from the year 2000 as they were going down the drain in terms of quality.

MooMooMooMoo 03-01-12 09:21 PM

Got my Lonely Wives. It is a burn.

WARNING: if you got one of the pirated Roans & are choosing to keep it, BACK IT UP. The blank I got is a crappy RitekG05, & if I burned a disc with quality this bad i would throw it away & reburn. Scanning with Nero Disc Speed, the "score" was 93, with 2344 PI failures & 376,346 P1 errors. I throw away any disc I burn that scores worse than 95/300 Failures.

ProfessorEcho 03-02-12 04:30 PM

What brand of DVD-Rs is the Warner Archive or any of the other MOD manufacturers using? It wouldn't surprise me if their blanks are also very inferior compared to brands like Taiyo Yuden and the AZO Verbatims. Warners in particular is making quite a profit on those overpriced MODs they sell.

Living Deadpan 03-02-12 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11137713)
Warners in particular is making quite a profit on those overpriced MODs they sell.

Especially if we take into the account those who buy them as digital video files from Itunes/Amazon/etc. If some people believe the home video experience is a few steps down from the theatrical experience, how many more steps down is the "portable viewing experience"?! At least for watching a film for the first time.

MooMooMooMoo 03-03-12 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11137713)
What brand of DVD-Rs is the Warner Archive or any of the other MOD manufacturers using? It wouldn't surprise me if their blanks are also very inferior compared to brands like Taiyo Yuden and the AZO Verbatims. Warners in particular is making quite a profit on those overpriced MODs they sell.

Warner has found a way to hide the MID. I have not been able to figure out what brand of blank they're using, though they scanned poorly.

MooMooMooMoo 03-03-12 03:37 AM

Interesting, I've already received my refund from DD though they did make me send it back. They have also either sold out on Amazon or more likely pulled their listing. Interestingly, the only seller on Amazon currently selling LW new under $40 is Amazon themselves; i ASSUME the have the pirated version.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 03-03-12 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 11138118)
Interesting" I've already recieved my refund from DD tough they did make me send it back. They have also either sold out on Amazon or more likely puled their listing. Interestingly, the only seller on Amazon currently selling LW new under $40 is Amazon themselves; i ASSUME the have the pirated version.

I believed Troma when they said they were doing DVD-Rs until things like this start happening. If they're legit, why should this be happening.

thetao 03-04-12 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 11136153)

As a newbie to these smaller studios, does anyone care to guess whether VCI's movie serials, now appearing on DVD-R according to some Amazon reviews, are actual VCI products or somebody else pirating (?) their work? See

http://www.amazon.com/Undersea-Kingd...R28TVKP4YL3U26

I visited http://store.vcientertainment.com and noticed that Undersea Kingdom isn't listed as a current product. So perhaps VCI once manufactured this title, but somebody else's cheap DVD-R's accidentally became attached to the old listing? I did email VCI on Friday to ask about their "DVD-R policy".