Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Drop

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Re: Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Dr

It's the last major Roan I don't have.
Old 01-28-12, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Dr

My friend finally got back to me. He was sold the burned set by Amazon 3rd party seller "Marvelio". I would suggest staying away from them! Fortunately, that's not who I ordered mine from.
Old 01-30-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

I received my copy tonight:

http://i.imgbox.com/aalPMw94

Obviously, it is going back.
Old 01-30-12, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who did you order yours from?

Wonder who manufactured these?
Old 01-30-12, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Who did you order yours from?

Wonder who manufactured these?
From Amazon themselves:

Pre-Code Hollywood - The Risque Years (Of Human Bondage / Millie / Kept Husbands)
Bette Davis, et al
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

Funny thing, though, it shipped from New Jersey, & Amazon does not have a distro center there. A 3rd party seller no doubt, under the auspices of Amazon.

Wish all these sellers would be upfront about this title & indicate that these are DVD-R's. Will call Amazon in the morning to complain & to email me a shipping label.
Old 01-30-12, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bacigalup, thank you very much!

I bit. 2 comments:

1. I hope to heck it isn't a burned set like my friend got!
2. They said seller only had 5 left. Hope I get one this time, it's my 3rd try since i started this thread!
I bit too, same day as you, about two hours later. My order is still in "shipping soon" status. There was a pending charge on my cc, but it dropped and my card has not been charged. Seller is newtownvideos, they have have lots of feedback and a decent rep. Still, my "too good to be true" spider-sense is tingling and my finger is on the request cancel button. What to do...
Old 01-30-12, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
I bit too, same day as you, about two hours later. My order is still in "shipping soon" status. There was a pending charge on my cc, but it dropped and my card has not been charged. Seller is newtownvideos, they have have lots of feedback and a decent rep. Still, my "too good to be true" spider-sense is tingling and my finger is on the request cancel button. What to do...
Same seller I bought from on 1/26. Mine hasn't shipped either. i just emailed them the following,

"Since this hasn't shipped yet, i wanted to check with you on a potential issue:

I know of at least 2 people who recently received burned sets of this from Amazon purchases.

I very much want it if it is a real factory pressed set, but i don't want it if it is burned.

Since you haven't shipped yet, if you could let me know i would appreciate it!

Thank You,"
Old 01-30-12, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just checked http://www.newtownvideo.com/

Their home page links to an Albiris store. The set is NOT listed there.
Old 01-31-12, 12:41 AM

Same seller I bought from on 1/26. Mine hasn't shipped either. i just emailed them the following,

"Since this hasn't shipped yet, i wanted to check with you on a potential issue:

I know of at least 2 people who recently received burned sets of this from Amazon purchases.

I very much want it if it is a real factory pressed set, but i don't want it if it is burned.

Since you haven't shipped yet, if you could let me know i would appreciate it!

Thank You,"
Well played. Calm and reasoned wins the day! Lets see what results - taking a step back from scorched earth, and crossing fingers.
Old 01-31-12, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine arrived today. It is definitely legit, or it's the best bootleg ever. It even has an old roan catalog inside. I ordered it from SPL Management.
Old 01-31-12, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bigmack3000
Mine arrived today. It is definitely legit, or it's the best bootleg ever. It even has an old roan catalog inside. I ordered it from SPL Management.
Sounds like you may have gotten lucky. Hope I & hilts get lucky also.
Old 01-31-12, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well played. Calm and reasoned wins the day! Lets see what results - taking a step back from scorched earth, and crossing fingers.
I've already received one reply from them; they are unfortunately unfamiliar with Roan, (they thought it was possible that as a small label Roan MIGHT be burning discs; we of course know that isn't correct), so i pointed them to the photo link that was posted here & asked that they check for the "dvdr" sticker.
Old 01-31-12, 06:27 AM

Also, does anyone know of a list of roan's precode releases? or just know off the top of their head what they are? I've found #2 (Bird of Paradise/Lady Refuses) and #4 (Lonely Wives), but I can't find anything on #3 or if there were any after #4.

PS-on amazon #2 is listed as a DVD-R in the product description, so it's possible that these burned copies of #1 that some people got aren't boots? Maybe after the first batch ran out they switched to dvdr?
Old 01-31-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I shot an email to Troma about this situation, along with the image link. Perhaps they can shed some light about this. Will await their answer before I contact Amazon.

Also, does anyone know of a list of roan's precode releases? or just know off the top of their head what they are? I've found #2 (Bird of Paradise/Lady Refuses) and #4 (Lonely Wives), but I can't find anything on #3 or if there were any after #4.
#3 is Behind Closed Doors
Old 01-31-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have seen a real Roan set. Both discs were factory pressed. I actually wouldn't put a burned release past Troma, though; & I remember a couple tears ago tons of ebay sellers were pirating the Roan Mr Wong set

newtownvideos replied (rather tersely), "We don't sell the burned copies"

Crossing my fingers (& hoping it ships soon!).
Old 01-31-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since TROMA has all but abandoned their Roan acquisitions, it's hard to believe they would be doing MOD stuff for Roan titles, but then again VCI is now doing MODs of titles that they still have in print as pressed DVDs! So anything is possible.

It will be interesting to find out what's going on. My guess is that since these are public domain titles and there is no copyguard on the Roan originals, people are burning copies and just replicating the packaging.
Old 01-31-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bacigalup
I shot an email to Troma about this situation, along with the image link. Perhaps they can shed some light about this. Will await their answer before I contact Amazon.
This is their reply:
"That is our cover, but that DVDR stamp on the bottom is not on our case.
It should say DVD with the word video under it. What site did you buy it
off of? We do not have any in stock, so our guess might be that if the
DVD itself does not have an imprint of the title on it then it is probably
not legit. Covers can always be copied on a color copy machine...."

Next stop,Amazon customer service.
Old 01-31-12, 04:17 PM

I ordered from Marvelio and received nothing. I e-mailed and they said they'd look into it and send another one...
Old 01-31-12, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by bacigalup
#3 is Behind Closed Doors
Thanks, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on amazon, ebay, half.com, or even mentioned online. Do you know a place to get it?
Old 01-31-12, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on amazon, ebay, half.com, or even mentioned online. Do you know a place to get it?
D'oh!! It's Behind OFFICE Doors!
Old 01-31-12, 07:43 PM

Aha. Thank you. found it.
Old 01-31-12, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Since TROMA has all but abandoned their Roan acquisitions, it's hard to believe they would be doing MOD stuff for Roan titles, but then again VCI is now doing MODs of titles that they still have in print as pressed DVDs! So anything is possible.

It will be interesting to find out what's going on. My guess is that since these are public domain titles and there is no copyguard on the Roan originals, people are burning copies and just replicating the packaging.
Yep. Amazon has also been known to carry cd bootlegs somewhat frequently.
Old 01-31-12, 09:33 PM

I have seen a real Roan set. Both discs were factory pressed. I actually wouldn't put a burned release past Troma, though; & I remember a couple tears ago tons of ebay sellers were pirating the Roan Mr Wong set

newtownvideos replied (rather tersely), "We don't sell the burned copies"

Crossing my fingers (& hoping it ships soon!).
Good to hear. OTOH, I wonder if they will be selling us anything. 5 days and counting since we ordered.
Old 01-31-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good to hear. OTOH, I wonder if they will be selling us anything. 5 days and counting since we ordered.
That's starting to concern me also. Would you like to take a turn at emailing them?
Old 02-01-12, 09:58 AM

That's starting to concern me also. Would you like to take a turn at emailing them?
I whispered sweet nothings in their ear. I'll let you know what I get back. Two large thugs beating hell out of me probably.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.