Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Drop

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Drop

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Dr

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Probably is. But then you have the twin issues of price & condition. I actually returned a used one last year because it was listed as like new & was all scratched up.
Y'all realize the sheer, vicious cruelty of the this post, don't you? Haven't had a peaceful night's sleep since. The seller sent a shipped notice within hours of my order so I should be receiving my sandpapered, dog-mauled disk soon. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-07-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Dr

Here's a reply i just received from an ebay seller to the usual question:

"Hi,

I checked my DVD and it looks like you're
right in your research regarding "dvdr" sticker in the lower left of the
front cover. I have attached couple of DVD scans to back it up. So, please
take a look. Probably not what you want. My supplier explained to me that
these are produced "on demand" by the studio as especially slow moving
titles. I hope this helps. Cheers."

I wonder who the heck is pressing these? I did educate the poor seller as to the situation.............
Old 02-09-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My copy is arriving sometime between today and the 27th. I'd say that's one hell of a estimated arrival window.
Old 02-09-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's a reply i just received from an ebay seller to the usual question:

"Hi,

I checked my DVD and it looks like you're
right in your research regarding "dvdr" sticker in the lower left of the
front cover. I have attached couple of DVD scans to back it up. So, please
take a look. Probably not what you want. My supplier explained to me that
these are produced "on demand" by the studio as especially slow moving
titles. I hope this helps. Cheers."

I wonder who the heck is pressing these? I did educate the poor seller as to the situation.............
Closest thing I could find is this
http://www.amazon.com/Pre-code-Holly.../dp/B00002E20F
Old 02-09-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That's the second release in the series. it's also oop & quite good.
Old 02-11-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got my DVDR set today.

Based on the second set being a DVDR sent out by amazon, I'm wondering if they're doing the same thing WB did with some of their titles. I have some original DVDs of some movies that they've switched to doing DVDRs of.
Old 02-11-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

See earlier on this thread where the rights owner said it was NOT their release. It is a pirate, & obviously a well connected one.
Old 02-11-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See earlier on this thread where the rights owner said it was NOT their release. It is a pirate, & obviously a well connected one.
Forgot about that.
Old 02-12-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just found out that Anchor Bay is also doing DVD-Rs of previous pressed releases.

I wonder if the rep at TROMA was telling the truth about these sets?
Old 02-12-12, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
Just found out that Anchor Bay is also doing DVD-Rs of previous pressed releases.
What releases?
Old 02-12-12, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho

I wonder if the rep at TROMA was telling the truth about these sets?
That's kind of what I was thinking. While they did say this, the source is Troma... I don't really have a lot of faith in the things they say. For all we know it was just a typical low level CS person that didn't bother to check on anything other than if they had it in stock or not.
Old 02-13-12, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Point. I hate Troma for destroying Roan. And the crap they put out under the Troma name is just that: crap.

Though the other side of that is that several of us had orders just disappear from our Amazon order history which says to me Amazon was playing "cover thy butt" & they probably were pirates.
Old 02-13-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Peep
What releases?
QUATERMASS 2 was one I saw at a local library.

What puzzles me about all this is that if it were pirates and not TROMA who are making the DVD-Rs, why would they indicate it anywhere on the packaging? Wouldn't it be to their benefit to sell these as originals and not announce that they are blatant copies? Not everyone who buys one would be able to tell that it is a DVD-R if the packaging looked good enough.
Old 02-13-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would be very curious to know the exact situation. It did coincide with the Roan dump to DD.
Old 02-15-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finally got a refund from the place I ordered from. They just kept making excuses or blaming it on their supplier, including making the claim that only the discs looked different even though I pointed out the real case says DVD and not a white strip that says DVDR.
Old 03-07-12, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Well, Amazon acknowledged that they received my return & refunded my money. But now today I noticed of all e-tailers, bestbuy.com has this title, along with #2, up for order!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...s&nrp=15&iht=n

Yes, it's back ordered, but what the heck, I rolled the dice & ordered both of them!

Anything ever come out of the best buy order? I've noticed a lot of titles they list as backordered that I know are OOP, so I don't even bother.
Old 03-07-12, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Anything ever come out of the best buy order? I've noticed a lot of titles they list as backordered that I know are OOP, so I don't even bother.
They cancelled it, claiming they would not be receiving any more of it to sell.
Old 03-07-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

BTW, just read where Kino is releasing Bird Of Paradise (Roan pre code #2) on Blu-Ray soon.
Old 03-28-12, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I THINK I finally got a real one. Listed on Amazon as cutout (punch in UPC), used, like new for $14.99. Crossing my fingers. I didn't write the seller first because i was afraid it would have sold to someone else if i didn't jump on it.
Old 03-28-12, 04:11 PM

I THINK I finally got a real one. Listed on Amazon as cutout (punch in UPC), used, like new for $14.99. Crossing my fingers. I didn't write the seller first because i was afraid it would have sold to someone else if i didn't jump on it.
Good gamble. Unlikely the new improved burns are cutout yet. I see newtownvideos is offering it again (that is not a recommendation for anyone, just an observation).
Old 03-28-12, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
Good gamble. Unlikely the new improved burns are cutout yet. I see newtownvideos is offering it again (that is not a recommendation for anyone, just an observation).
I'm PRETTY SURE that new Town did respond to an inquiry saying there's was the burned set.

Again, I'm relying on memory & I'm not young!
Old 03-28-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That would be a fast turnaround for the burned sets to be getting met by the bar code slasher.
Old 03-29-12, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
If course there's still the question of just what does "like new" mean to the seller. To all too many Amazon & ebay sellers like new means "trashed but will probably play if you're really lucky"! Crossing fingers on all. Seemed like a fairly good risk.
Old 03-30-12, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(sigh). This is why I hate ordering used on the internet. Letter to Amazon seller:

"Hi, I'm wondering if you have more than 1 of these & may have sent the wrong set? I remember you're original listing said there was a punch in the UPC & it was listed as "like new".

The copy I received has no punch (which is why I'm wondering if you have 2 & sent the wrong one), & there is some light-moderate scratching on the 2 sided dvd.

I very much want this item, but if you do have one that's truly "like new", I would very much prefer getting what I ordered!"
Old 03-30-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was it an amazon fulfillment?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.