Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Drop

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Drop

Old 02-02-12, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Dr

2 3rd party sellers at buy.com are now listing the set cheap. I am NOT vouching for whether it's legit or not though, something very strange is going on..........

http://www.buy.com/pr/SellerListings...40130106&buy=1
Old 02-02-12, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Rare Roan Pre-Code Hollywood Risque Years Human Bondage/Millie/Kept Huge Price Dr

There's also an ebay drop shipper offering it @ $16.95. I tried to email them to ask if it was burned. This was a first, ebay returned this message:

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I'm really starting to think there may be a huge batch of pirated burns of this that a bunch of drop shipper's bought. I am considering cancelling my current Amazon order to avoid having to pay return postage.
Old 02-02-12, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's some cheap ones that showed up at amazon again.
Old 02-02-12, 11:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
There's also an ebay drop shipper offering it @ $16.95. I tried to email them to ask if it was burned. This was a first, ebay returned this message:

"We're sorry we couldn't find an answer for you. Unfortunately, due to the high volume of messages this seller receives, they are unable to respond to your specific question right now. We suggest reviewing the item again to see if your answer is in the seller's listing."

I'm really starting to think there may be a huge batch of pirated burns of this that a bunch of drop shipper's bought. I am considering cancelling my current Amazon order to avoid having to pay return postage.
I got an automated reply from the seller yesterday saying they would respond within 72 hours.
Old 02-02-12, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And even if they say the set is legit, you have to take that with a grain of salt. I remember some guy trying to claim a Criterion he was selling wasn't a bootleg but after going back and forth with him and posting info on what Criterion doesn't do aka what bootlegs look like, he finally shut up.
Old 02-02-12, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You wouldn't have to incur return postage if you are sent a DVD-R. Unless that is in the listing at Amazon it would qualify as their mistake and they would pay for the shipping back.

How long until we start seeing DVD-R copies of the Roan RAIN release? That is also OOP and selling for big bucks.
Old 02-02-12, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
You wouldn't have to incur return postage if you are sent a DVD-R. Unless that is in the listing at Amazon it would qualify as their mistake and they would pay for the shipping back.

How long until we start seeing DVD-R copies of the Roan RAIN release? That is also OOP and selling for big bucks.
It's a 3rd party seller, not actually Amazon; so wouldn't I be required to pay return?
Old 02-02-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe you need to ship it back with tracking and then they are supposed to reimburse you.

I've found this for one of the conditions to do an A-Z claim.

You have returned the item to the seller per an agreement between the buyer and seller and the seller has not provided the agreed reimbursement to the buyer after receiving the item. Note: If you refuse the package and the return doesn't have tracking information, your claim may not be covered by the A-to-z Guarantee.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 02-02-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-02-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho

It will be interesting to find out what's going on. My guess is that since these are public domain titles and there is no copyguard on the Roan originals, people are burning copies and just replicating the packaging.
I've been thinking about this. Since Troma does own the Roan catalog, & since Troma is at least technically still in business, at minimum copying the packaging is a copyright violation. A case could also be made that Cary Roan owned copyright to these restorations. Of course, Troma would have to take action.

I do remember an ebay seller was selling burned copies of the Roan Mr Wong set a few years back, but that was one seller only; this seems to be a bit larger scale.

I'm still thinking, but i am likely going to cancel my order which still hasn't shipped.
Old 02-02-12, 07:41 PM

That's starting to concern me also. Would you like to take a turn at emailing them?
I did get a reply from them yesterday - it was in my spam folder.

"This should be shipping in the next 24-48 hours. We apologize for the delay.

Thank you"

So. Today is the 24 hour mark, still not shipped. Tomorrow will be 48, and if it hasn't shipped by evening, I'm canceling it. Yours should be shipping before mine, since you placed your order before me (assuming you haven't canceled it).
Old 02-02-12, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
I did get a reply from them yesterday - it was in my spam folder.

"This should be shipping in the next 24-48 hours. We apologize for the delay.

Thank you"

So. Today is the 24 hour mark, still not shipped. Tomorrow will be 48, and if it hasn't shipped by evening, I'm canceling it. Yours should be shipping before mine, since you placed your order before me (assuming you haven't canceled it).
Obviously they pre sold them before they arrived. Guess I better decide quickly. Of course if I cancel & yours is real I'm going to feel like an idiot!
Old 02-02-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just sent cancellation request. Apparently the 3rd party seller has to agree (it is NOT automatic), even though it's been a week & the item hasn't shipped.
Old 02-03-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just had my amazon order ship. I don't plan on crying if I need to return it because it's not legit. I've already accepted the worst. Hell, I ordered from HME. What could be worse than that?
Old 02-03-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Geff, I thought you ordered yours with "Fulfillment By Amazon," so I thought the return process would be painless. I've never had to do a A-Z return.

I hope your cancellation goes through. You never know with third party sellers, sometimes they NEVER check their E mail and other times they see the cancellation request and just ignore it. As an Amazon seller myself I check my E mail every single day and always respond promptly to any concerns, but some of these sellers have no customer service skills at all. Please keep us posted of your developments.
Old 02-03-12, 02:37 PM

I just looked at my Amazon orders page. The order is gone. Poof. Kaput. Like it never existed. Not canceled, gone.
Old 02-03-12, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine also. I suspect it was the pirated edition & they had pre sold it before receipt. It's also possible that Troma followed up & had it pulled.

Now for the pain of finding a real one, which will likely be a lot harder than it used to be; as a lot of honest retailers will not notice that small dvdr sticker.
Old 02-03-12, 04:30 PM

I am mildly pissed they get to walk away without any feedback for the customer experience. The only email I got notifying of the cancel was an automated one from Amazon.
Old 02-03-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another interesting part of this is right before my order disappeared the seller sent me an email trying to talk me out of cancelling!
Old 02-03-12, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just emailed the seller on buy.com asking if there's is burned. See if & what I hear back..........
Old 02-04-12, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Well, Amazon acknowledged that they received my return & refunded my money. But now today I noticed of all e-tailers, bestbuy.com has this title, along with #2, up for order!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpa...s&nrp=15&iht=n

Yes, it's back ordered, but what the heck, I rolled the dice & ordered both of them!
Old 02-04-12, 06:13 PM

Proving I have not learned anything from touching the hot burner, I've ordered a used one from an Amazon reseller. Think it might be the best chance of getting a pressed version.
Old 02-04-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by hilts
Proving I have not learned anything from touching the hot burner, I've ordered a used one from an Amazon reseller. Think it might be the best chance of getting a pressed version.
Probably is. But then you have the twin issues of price & condition. I actually returned a used one last year because it was listed as like new & was all scratched up.
Old 02-05-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Import CD had it last night on Amazon. I asked them the usual & got this back,

"I'm very sorry, our database does not provide any further details regarding this product."
Old 02-06-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Import CD had it last night on Amazon. I asked them the usual & got this back,

"I'm very sorry, our database does not provide any further details regarding this product."
LOL. MovieMars pretty much wrote the same thing to me recently when I inquired if one of their DVDs for sale came with the slipcover. They sent a long form letter saying how great they are, but that they can't comment on any specific items they have for sale. Gee, thanks.
Old 02-06-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's time to give up on this one for awhile!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.