Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 11:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Big Lots does whatever it takes to get people in, period. I went yesterday but found mostly DVD retreads; did buy a couple of titles for my teenage son. Also some food items. It's not like it used to be, but I'm not surprised.
Old 01-27-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Oldies.com seems to be picking up most of the titles BL used to get & selling them at higher prices. That's probably what actually happened; Oldies & possibly a couple other retailers let the wholesale liquidators know they were willing to pay more than BL was. That would also explain the $5 mediocre titles that BL got a couple months back.
Old 01-28-13, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BL is no longer "the place to find cheap DVDs". I seriously have equal or better luck in the $1 Dollar Tree section. I probably bought a dozen DVDs from BL in all of 2012. Go back several years to when they had those great TV seasons deals for $6 and it would be nearer 100. Most of the time the $3 DVDs are the same old stuff I've seen for years or it's stuff that I could get for $5 on BD.

BL is still a good place to buy household stuff, and if they dropped movies completely I'd still go. I haven't gone into a BL looking for movies in over a year. I always go there to buy a household item or with a 20% off coupon, and then I look at the DVD section while I'm there and usually find between 0-2 DVDs.

Like I said, I'm bummed I missed the 20% off on Saturday. In the future I'm going to call the local store each day (and get the employee's name) to make sure what days it's on.
Old 01-28-13, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Or you could just check the Big Lots website, they had the info about the 20% off on Saturday on their homepage
Old 01-29-13, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
Or you could just check the Big Lots website, they had the info about the 20% off on Saturday on their homepage
I'll do that in the future, but for every past 20% off sale in the last few years, the info posted by others was accurate and they always had the sale on Sunday (usually on Saturday evening too). This is the first time they didn't do Sunday, so now my trust level is low and I'll double-check.

It's like if you cross an intersection a couple dozen times in the dark over the course of a couple years and everything is fine, then you probably get lax. Then 1 day you try to cross and fall into a hole that wasn't there before and are reminded you can't count on things staying the same.
Old 01-29-13, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hit Pearl St Tacoma WA. Unless something has changed today is freight day. Either a very small new batch of titles I've never heard of, or else they are so obscure I saw them before & just didn't remember them All major studio, nothing worth mentioning imo.
Old 02-08-13, 01:36 PM

I received a rewards coupon from the Buzz Club today. $5 off a $5 minimum. It is good from Feb 8-10. I hope I can find something I am interested in.
Old 02-08-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They must not like me since I've been buying MUCH LESS. No coupon here, just an add for $5 dvd's.
Old 02-08-13, 07:31 PM
g

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

They haven't sent me a single coupon since the new club began. I shop there alot. I don't bother half the time giving them my email adress anymore for the rewards card as they don't send me anything ever.
Perhaps they've decided only to give rewards in certain regional areas.
Old 02-08-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by g
They haven't sent me a single coupon since the new club began. I shop there alot. I don't bother half the time giving them my email adress anymore for the rewards card as they don't send me anything ever.
I had a $5 off 25 that I never used because it was a 1-week coupon that ended the day before the 20% sale. I just got another 5 off 25 that expires in a week or so, but I'm kinda surprised since I just did a bunch of returns ... Today, I almost stopped by another BL that I sometimes frequent because I'm often in the area, but for some reason, I just did not. It almost depressed me to think about going there.
Old 02-08-13, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
They must not like me since I've been buying MUCH LESS. No coupon here, just an add for $5 dvd's.
Originally Posted by g
They haven't sent me a single coupon since the new club began. I shop there a lot. I don't bother half the time giving them my email address anymore for the rewards card as they don't send me anything ever.
I believe the last thing I bought there was at one of the 20% off sales and this is my 1st coupon since the club changed. My local Big Lots only stocks movies I already own or have already seen and do not care about owning.
Old 02-09-13, 11:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dimitrios3
I received a rewards coupon from the Buzz Club today. $5 off a $5 minimum. It is good from Feb 8-10. I hope I can find something I am interested in.
I got one also but mine is good till the 17th.
Old 02-09-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got a 2nd add today but still no coupon.
Old 02-13-13, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Noting new at Pearl Tacoma, Wa. The shelves are empty (& not just dvd's). I don't see how when the stores are often mobbed, but I am starting to wonder if BL is getting ready to go under or is up for sale?
Old 02-20-13, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another ZERO DVD week at Pearl St Tacoma WA (closest BL to me). Is anyone seeing any new dvd's?
Old 02-21-13, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-21-13, 07:52 PM

I did see a few things that were new to me in Bakersfield, CA

Omen special edition
That Night in Rio
and a few newer movies
Thirtysomething (I think the 1st season)
Old 02-22-13, 10:29 AM

Perhaps they were so backlogged on dvds at the store level, they aren't buying anything right now....you would think they could transfer from stores with too many dvds to stores with not enough, but perhaps it isn't worth it cost wise...
went into the Fayetteville GA store last night...might have had a few different titles, but we are talking 6-7 titles...rest of store seemed to have enough supply though...would hate to see them go belly up...I buy a lot of non media stuff there too...
Old 02-22-13, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Noting new at Pearl Tacoma, Wa. The shelves are empty (& not just dvd's). I don't see how when the stores are often mobbed, but I am starting to wonder if BL is getting ready to go under or is up for sale?
Most stores do inventory at begining of the year so stock is low.
Old 02-22-13, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by berigan
Perhaps they were so backlogged on dvds at the store level, they aren't buying anything right now....you would think they could transfer from stores with too many dvds to stores with not enough, but perhaps it isn't worth it cost wise...
A manager told me they did just that 6-9 months ago; & in large quantities.
Old 02-22-13, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't bought much there recently. I slowed down on blind buy dvds because I was finding more deals on blu ray at other places. Honestly, I think their rewards program sucks. I can't always find enough merchandise to get to the $20. Then I feel like I am forcing purchases just to get the 20% discount, which the last time, I let lapse. That was my fault, but it doesn't seem worth all the effort.
Old 02-23-13, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by boc4ever
...Honestly, I think their rewards program sucks. I can't always find enough merchandise to get to the $20...
We're just the opposite. My wife is always complaining because I'll say "That's it... we're at $20. Make a list and we'll come back tomorrow or put something back to get that item." There are always bags of chips, cans of veggies, box of cereal, cleaning supplies, etc. that we can find and use to hit the $20 mark. As an example, we currently have a 20% discount on the card and are half way towards another.

Be grateful you're still on the 10/$20/20% program. Lots of folks here are on a new version that provides random "discounts" based on your purchase history.

DVD wise... the store here is much like the rest. Nothing "new" since right after Christmas and what *is* there seems to be moving slowly. That's unusual here as DVDs were once big sellers and wouldn't be in the store very long. I guess the weekend yard sale folks, fleamarket sellers, and whorders finally figured out those $3 DVDs are pretty much worth $3...
Old 02-23-13, 07:48 PM
Cool New Member

I picked up season one of Las Vegas today and was wondering could the store order the other seasons for me?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-13, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernGirl30
I picked up season one of Las Vegas today and was wondering could the store order the other seasons for me?

Thanks.
*Everything* at BL is YMMV and opportunistic purchase items. Essentially, what they have is *all* they have. They can not order anything no matter what the stock category, especially DVDs. Multiple stores in the same town can and do have drastically differing DVD selections.

Big Lots is a "short stock", overstock, and closeout store. Outside of some grocery and furniture items it's generally a situation of when you see something you want you need to purchase quickly as when it's gone, it's typically gone.
Old 02-25-13, 08:38 AM

There's supposedly a 20% off coupon for this upcoming weekend (March 2-3), but I'll have to be really careful this time to make sure it's not a Saturday-only sale like the last one I missed.

Question: I almost never log into my Buzz Club. In order to print the 20% off coupon (if no one posts a link to it anywhere), do I have to log into my Buzz Club account or will the coupon be somewhere conspicuous on biglots.com without logging in?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.