Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 12-15-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I think Big Lots overpriced this batch of Disney Blu-rays at $8. They would be a lot more appealing at $5 or $6, considering most of them can be had on the used market really cheaply. I don't think they are going to move very well over the coming months, at that price level.
Old 12-15-13, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, they advertised them as "1 day only" for BF!! (LOL). I would have paid $5 for Toy Story; it likely would have sat for a couple years before I watch it again.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 12-15-13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 12-15-13, 07:20 PM

I agree. I picked up a couple when I was walking around on BF, but then put them back. Not the best deal at $8 each.
Old 12-16-13, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I think Big Lots overpriced this batch of Disney Blu-rays at $8. They would be a lot more appealing at $5 or $6, considering most of them can be had on the used market really cheaply. I don't think they are going to move very well over the coming months, at that price level.
The Big Lots I hit on BF did not have even Toy Story left. It would have been a great deal if they had had some of the Disney animated classics (Peter Pan, Cinderella). But when all you see is Prince of Persia, John Carter, and some film with The Rock, it's fairly lame. I bought some toys this year at Big Lots, but for DVDs and blus, I'm finding much better deals at Half Price Books.
Old 12-16-13, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Would have bought some of those if they hadn't put their price tags right on the unsealed slipcovers. A few didn't even have the slipcovers anymore- just another reason why companies should seal the damn things!
Old 12-16-13, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee View Post
Would have bought some of those if they hadn't put their price tags right on the unsealed slipcovers. A few didn't even have the slipcovers anymore- just another reason why companies should seal the damn things!
Bestine will take care of that. It's a glue solvent that evaporates "dry" and doesn't damage or wrinkle the paper. You can get it at Michaels among other places.

I think goofoff works well too but not goo gone. The latter is citrus based and leaves and "oily" residue. It'll remove the sticker but it won't be as if nothing was ever there.

Bestine works best by soaking. I'll usually apply some bestine to a cotton ball, put it over the sticker and then hold it in place with something with a little weight(the can of bestine works well if it isn't empty). Give it a good 5-10 minutes and usually the sticker will just fall right off.

That's probably a lot more than anyone wanted to know but if it's the difference between buying or passing on a dvd/blu-ray deal, maybe it's worth knowing?
Old 12-17-13, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by moklerman View Post
Bestine will take care of that. It's a glue solvent that evaporates "dry" and doesn't damage or wrinkle the paper. You can get it at Michaels among other places.

I think goofoff works well too but not goo gone. The latter is citrus based and leaves and "oily" residue. It'll remove the sticker but it won't be as if nothing was ever there.

Bestine works best by soaking. I'll usually apply some bestine to a cotton ball, put it over the sticker and then hold it in place with something with a little weight(the can of bestine works well if it isn't empty). Give it a good 5-10 minutes and usually the sticker will just fall right off.

That's probably a lot more than anyone wanted to know but if it's the difference between buying or passing on a dvd/blu-ray deal, maybe it's worth knowing?
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for it.
Old 12-17-13, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bestine sounds interesting and I've been looking for something that will remove a couple glue stains from slipcovers. Will it work even if the sticker has already been removed?
Old 12-17-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The product I use is "Un-du", created for scrapbooking.

It does not stain nor leaves a residue. And quickly evaporates.

It was pulled in CA since it could cause birth defects. I'm a guy so that's not a problem. But they came back, changed their formula - now California safe. *shakes head*
Old 12-17-13, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
Bestine sounds interesting and I've been looking for something that will remove a couple glue stains from slipcovers. Will it work even if the sticker has already been removed?
Yup, in fact, it should be easier that way. With the sticker in place the bestine has to soak through the sticker to dissolve the glue but with the sticker gone, it should just dissolve the glue that's left.
Old 12-18-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a DVD but look what I got at BL the other day!

Standard Lego Minifig in the left for scale.
Old 12-18-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post

I was at Big Lots today. Wish I saw this before. What did you spend on that?
Old 12-18-13, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boc4ever View Post
I was at Big Lots today. Wish I saw this before. What did you spend on that?
$30, a little pricey for big lots but defiantly way less than when it first came out (probably).

Last edited by SterlingBen; 12-18-13 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-18-13, 10:21 PM

I have been checking the Big Lots closest to me for two months trying to get some of those Ghostbusters sets. Finally found out Monday that that location (17/92 and Lake Mary Blvd. Sanford FL) is closing and hasn't had a delivery in two months. Still checking the other Sanford and Longwood stores but don't like my chances. Need to hunt down some of the Dragon Dynasty disc. Picked up King Boxer on DVD for 3$ at the Longwood FL BL.
Old 12-18-13, 10:24 PM

The individual 12 inch Glostbusters were around $90 each when they first came out. The set pictured above was over $100.00 when it first appeared on the Matty Collector web site. I think BL is closing them out for $30.00 a set.
Old 12-18-13, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

$30, a little pricey for big lots but defiantly way less than when it first came out (probably).
Thanks for the info. Will take a look next time I am there!
Old 12-19-13, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup, in fact, it should be easier that way. With the sticker in place the bestine has to soak through the sticker to dissolve the glue but with the sticker gone, it should just dissolve the glue that's left.
Thank you very much, and thanks to JohnIan for the info about "Un-du", if the Bestine doesn't work then I'll give that a try.
Old 12-19-13, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the Ghostbusters, yeah $30 each. They had the Egon & Ray 2-pack back in July/early August, but those are very likely long gone. A few of the Peter & Winston came out back then, but for some reason most were held until a couple months ago. Lots of scalpers looking for both of those, along with the 6" Ghostbuster figures and the Masters of the Universe Classics, all of which were $10 each.

I have a Canadian friend who asked me to search for the large 2-packs, one store got in 8 and sold through in just over 24 hours. Buy them when you see them if you want them is my recommendation.
Old 12-19-13, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash View Post
They had the Egon & Ray 2-pack back in July/early August, but those are very likely long gone.
Too bad I was hoping to pick that one up to complete the set.
Old 12-19-13, 05:46 PM

Holy Shit I want this!!! Which store? Which section? Anyone see this in the NOVA area?

Old 12-19-13, 07:32 PM

Hard to tell yesterday if Pearl St had gotten anything. Most of he titles they're getting these days are so obscure, that I really don't remember what I did & didn't see the week before! Also, most of what they're getting are restocks.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 12-20-13 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-20-13, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After never receiving those coupons by e-mail, I got another $5 off $15/$15 off $45 one in my e-mail today, 2 weeks after receiving my first one.
Old 12-20-13, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a couple of the individual Ghostbusters figures at one location, such as Ray and "The Rookie" for $10 each. Some interesting new Blu-rays I hadn't seen before for $5, including:

Titanic (2012 mini-series)
The Matador
MacGruber

The Dragon Dynasty BDs had all been wiped out in under a week. Don't expect them to hang around long.
Old 12-22-13, 07:12 PM

The Lumberton, NJ store has some of the new $5 Blu-rays:

The Debt
Repo Men
Wanderlust
The Adjustment Bureau
Johnny English Reborn
The River Wild
Bruno
Yes Man
The Matador
Nights in Rodanthe
Frost/Nixon
Changeling
One Missed Call
Duplicity
Charlie St. Cloud
The Longshots

And two Dragon Dynasty titles: Battle of the Warriors, and An Empress and the Warriors.
Old 12-23-13, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 View Post
After never receiving those coupons by e-mail, I got another $5 off $15/$15 off $45 one in my e-mail today, 2 weeks after receiving my first one.
I got an email the other day in which the subject said "5 off 15", but it was a 5 off 20/15 off 60. Grrrrrrr

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.