Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-12, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Puyallup WA got for $3
$ (Dollars)
Airplane I Love The 80's
Robin Hood (Flynn)
Monty Python Not The Messiah
Volver
Mutiny At The Bounty 2 Disc (Brando)
Teahouse August Moon
Reflections In a Golden Eye
Formula
Julius Caesar
Baby The Rain Must Fall (McQueen)
Whos' That Knocking At My Door (Scorsese)
Ride The Wild Surf

$5
Mean Streets
Goodfellas (2-disc)
Lots of WB double features including:
Vacation/European vacation
Mask/Legend Zorro (Legend full screen)
Lawnmower Man 1 & 2
Old 11-30-12, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Cabbage
Some new $7 multi-disc sets have been showing up in Central Ohio...

Picked up SPIDER-MAN 1, 2 and 3 triple feature and the Ray Harryhausen Gift Set which includes slim-case editions of 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH, EARTH VS. THE FLYING SAUCERS and IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA along with a neat movie scrapbook containing some of Harryhausen's storybook drawings.

Also saw some new $10 TV sets...MY TWO DADS and Season 3 of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES
Here they're breaking up the RH box & selling at $3 ea.
Old 11-30-12, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
I have a moral problem (I admit it's my problem) with returning something that is not defective just because I didn't like it.
Me too, but I often wonder if we haven't been programmed to respond this way when it comes to media? If we buy a sweatshirt and get home and decide we don't like it we take it back don't we? (I wouldn't wear it around for a few days before doing that though!)

What if a movie (or book, or cd) is nothing like it was advertised? How many movie trailers are completely unlike the movie? In some ways I feel as if we should have that right...
Old 11-30-12, 06:00 PM

Lots of decent movies at the Pocatello, ID Big Lots (while the Idaho Falls store seemed to have none of these):

$1.88 BF leftovers:
The Marc Pease Experience
Rollercoaster
Gerald McBoing Boing
Heartbeeps
Management
La Chamade
Criss Cross

$3
V The Final Battle
Mutiny On the Bounty (2 disc)

$7
MGM horror collection - Return of the Living Dead, Swamp Thing, Bucket of Blood, Frogs
+ many many other $7 collections
Old 11-30-12, 06:31 PM

Just back from Irving, TX location. Bought these:

Huckleberry Hound set (Vol. 1) - $10
Slums of Beverly Hills - $3
Slaughterhouse Five - $3
Old 12-03-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a new selection of $7 Blu-rays.... the only one I can remember offhand is To Live & Die in LA (not the combo)
Old 12-03-12, 10:53 PM

Picked up the only copy of Blood For Dracula at the Fairless Hills, PA store. Otherwise, the new topaz-colored titles were pretty much the same stuff seen before, the exceptions being Secret Origins: The Story of DC Comics and AC/DC: Let There Be Rock.
Old 12-03-12, 11:12 PM

Sunday hit the Longwood Fl. store at 17/92 and 434. Had a few $5 titles I didn't have that I was half way to the register with at $5:

Rob Roy (liam Neeson)
Here After (Matt Damon)
Pandorum (Dennis Quaid)
something else?

Discovered several small dumps of $10 TV sets Beverly Hillbillies.Joan Of Arcadia, Huff,Vegas, House come to mind, mostly season 1 (I think Beverly Hillbillies was 2 and 3)

Found one copy of Swampthing Season One and Two - bought
Two copies of Caprica Season 1.0 (bought 1)

Sanford FL 17/92 at Lake Mary Blvd Lots more of the same old stock.I did pick up Here Comes Yogi Bear for $3.
Old 12-04-12, 01:23 AM

I only saw Season 2 of the Beverly Hillbillies, but I got a couple of those a few years ago at Big Lots. On the other hand, if Season 3 was there, I am not sure I would know as the marketing geniuses at CBS gave the two seasons virtually identical lousy covers.
Old 12-04-12, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked out the Torrance, CA store and found many of the same TV shows as snydar, all were $10 except LA Ink S2 which was $3

Land of the Lost S1
Joan of Arcadia S1
Beverly Hillbillies S1
Spin City S1
Thirtysomething S1
Malcolm and Eddie S1 or S2 (sorry, I forget which)
7th Heaven S6
Caprica 1.0
Dynasty S2
Swamp Thing S1 and S2
Huff (which they already had)
Old 12-04-12, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I THINK Pearl got a new batch of $10 Seasons & a small $3 batch. I'm sorry I can't remember titles. Nothing I wanted. There were 2 titles in the $3 batch that seemed new to me: some Danny DeVito xmas movie & something to do with Reno 911 in a slim case like it had been pulled from a box set. They had a ton of both, especially the Reno.
Old 12-04-12, 07:53 PM
Cool New Member

Had to have been Season 2 (or 3) Paramount never released Season 1 because it fell into the public domain, hence all the junk worth BH releases of those episodes. So far Paramount has only released seasons 2 and 3 -- the covers are kind of similar so it'd be easy to miss when glancing through quickly.

I don't recall the exact circumstance of how the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies and part of the second season fell into the public domain, but it's been that way for awhile -- that's why there's so many garbage releases of those episodes.

If anyone is interested in the first season the only sets to get are The Beverly Hillbillies: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1 (26 season 1 episodes), The Beverly Hillbillies: The Ultimate Collection Volume 2 (the rest of season 1 and the public domain season 2 episodes), and The Ultimate Christmas Collection: The Beverly Hillbillies & Petticoat Junction (has the Christmas episodes which weren't included in the two volume sets). These sets were released by MPI Home Video and mastered from the show's original negatives, creator Paul Henning's own negatives in fact, MPI also made sure to license the theme music so there's no 'almost-sounds-like' music substitutions like on many sets -- not to mention nice extras like cast commercials for Winston cigarettes, period interviews, etc.
Old 12-04-12, 08:35 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Pulp Hero
Had to have been Season 2 (or 3) Paramount never released Season 1 because it fell into the public domain, hence all the junk worth BH releases of those episodes. So far Paramount has only released seasons 2 and 3 -- the covers are kind of similar so it'd be easy to miss when glancing through quickly.

I don't recall the exact circumstance of how the first season of The Beverly Hillbillies and part of the second season fell into the public domain, but it's been that way for awhile -- that's why there's so many garbage releases of those episodes.

If anyone is interested in the first season the only sets to get are The Beverly Hillbillies: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1 (26 season 1 episodes), The Beverly Hillbillies: The Ultimate Collection Volume 2 (the rest of season 1 and the public domain season 2 episodes), and The Ultimate Christmas Collection: The Beverly Hillbillies & Petticoat Junction (has the Christmas episodes which weren't included in the two volume sets). These sets were released by MPI Home Video and mastered from the show's original negatives, creator Paul Henning's own negatives in fact, MPI also made sure to license the theme music so there's no 'almost-sounds-like' music substitutions like on many sets -- not to mention nice extras like cast commercials for Winston cigarettes, period interviews, etc.
That's really useful information. I had no idea some of it fell in the public domain. I have the two ultimate collections, I will look for the christmas eps. I would love to find seasons 2 and 3. I will have to do some cyphering and gozintas to figure out what the best deal is.

5 gozinta 5 once, 5 gozinta 10 twice...
Old 12-05-12, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I thought I read on these boards that the MPI releases were from 16mm prints from the Paul Henning Estate.
Old 12-05-12, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I thought I read on these boards that the MPI releases were from 16mm prints from the Paul Henning Estate.
I bought the first season when it came out and then the 2nd. The first season looks okay the 2nd season looks like crap. I emailed MPI at the time about the 2nd season and as I recall, they said it was what they were given to use. I do not think I ever got through the 2nd season as it looked so bad.
Old 12-06-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Are you sure this wasn't season 2? (S2 is actually cheaper on Amazon MP 9.80 shipped)
I wrote everything down on a smallish slip of paper, so it's possible (and sounds likely) I made a mistake on that one. Sorry about that.
Old 12-06-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
Not a dvd, but of some interest, I picked up Pam Grier's memoir Foxy today for $3.
Thank you for posting this. I saw the post last night, checked my closest store today and found a copy.
Old 12-06-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^You're welcome!
Old 12-07-12, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Baby, the rain must fall (Steve McQueen)
Dollars (Warren Beatty, Goldie Hawn)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Ellen Burstyn, Kris Kristofferson)
Desire Under the Elms (Sophia Loren, Anthony Perkins)
Jeremy (Bobby Benson)
Fathom (Tony Franciosa, Raquel Welch)
O Henry's Full House
Compulsion (Orson Welles)

$3 each...plenty more to mine through but they were stacked in such shop-unfriendly ways that I left from frustration
Old 12-07-12, 11:08 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Very small shipment of new TV titles at NoHo store on Vineland Ave. Remember seeing:

Joan of Arcadia S1
Beverly Hillbillies S2
Spin City S1
Thirtysomething S1
My Two Dads S1
Dynasty S2

They also have some of the $7 blu-rays, if anyone's looking for those. One of the copies of The American even had a slipcover
Old 12-07-12, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The new add APPEARS to state that the tv boxes are dropping to $7 Sunday. They word though, is "appears".
Old 12-08-12, 01:53 PM

The new add APPEARS to state that the tv boxes are dropping to $7 Sunday. They word though, is "appears".
Moo, ever since you mentioned this, I've tried to check out the ad, and instead I see a message from big lots that says...our website is currently unavailable do to heavy traffic...which isn't true since I can access everything else. But this was going on when I went to bed and is still the case for me as of 3 pm est...
Old 12-08-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by berigan
Moo, ever since you mentioned this, I've tried to check out the ad, and instead I see a message from big lots that says...our website is currently unavailable do to heavy traffic...which isn't true since I can access everything else. But this was going on when I went to bed and is still the case for me as of 3 pm est...
Sorry about the small size.............

Old 12-08-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

They *are* $7 each. I was in the local store tonight and they're already marked down with a big sign on the display. Of course there's nothing I'd purchase that I don't already own...
Old 12-08-12, 10:42 PM
Cool New Member

In my local BL, they had a ton of Clint Eastwood spaghetti westerns, including:
A Fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Hang 'Em High
- all for $5 I think
Plus a batch of other $3 movies, the only ones of which I recal with certainty being:
The Impostors (Tucci and Platt)
City Island (A. Garcia)

Interestingly also, at least in this store, the one season TV wonders like Beautiful People, Huff and "Till Death, which had been hanging around at $3, were now proced at $10 each. Wonder which of the TV sets will be this year's Joey or Twin Peaks, Season 2. All the other TV sets mentioned previously were there too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.