Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-14, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 10 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by hasslein
I picked up season 5 of Two & a Half Men because it was not a cut out. Has anyone seen any other season of the show that wasn't a cut out?

Were they all free from cut outs or just the one you got.
Old 09-16-14, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw several season 5 both cut out and not...
Old 09-17-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Went in today and saw a bunch of DVDs labeled for $7.97!
Old 09-17-14, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Anything new?
Old 09-20-14, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My local big lots now has clearance movies intermixed with the regular DVDs. The clearance labels are wrong though. I picked up 2 movies that said they were $1.50 each and I was only charged 15 cents for one and 90 cents for the other.
Old 09-22-14, 06:47 PM

I've stopped keeping up with the new arrivals, as they've been largely rather dull. But a few unusual titles caught my eye:

There's Something More About Mary ... $5 (the copies months ago were full screen, but the latest are widescreen)
Hannibal (2001) Steelbook ... $5
The Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm Show: Complete Series ... $5
The Man Called Flintstone ... $3 (restock)

Apparently no Halloween batch this year (one store seemed to have a bunch left over from last year, i.e. "Bats"). They've apparently skipped right to Christmas: Lancaster has a small box of titles now on top of the wooden display.

Are people finding the "Princess Bride Dread Pirate Edition" nationwide? I don't do the BL circuit anymore, but the 4 closest stores had nothing. What about "Boston Legal"? It's obviously not part of the Fox dump, but I'd buy some seasons if I could find them.

Last edited by thetao; 09-23-14 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 06:17 PM

I bought a Something About Mary set today. The 2 DVD's come in a trifold digipak, with the third fold being a pocket with no contents. The photo at Amazon suggests something should be there, but then I recall one or more studios commonly releasing multi-DVD sets with empty pockets/sleeves (that may have once held throwaway promotional material). I'm gonna keep checking the web, but does anybody know what was there originally? Thanks.
Old 09-23-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another either reason or example of the impact of Big Lots backing way out of the dvd business:

As you may know, I am an internet cd/dvd retailer. One of my wholesalers today sent out a listing for 1,000 pieces @ $2 ea take all. While they didn't have a list, they sent a # of photographs of the product. It's major studio stuff (both single/doubles & box sets) like BL used to have until 2 years ago.

I'd say 1/4 - 1/3 of the stuff was good titles. I don't have $2k + shipping to buy it, so I'm not going to; but in BL's heyday. my wholesaler would never have had the chance to sell this stuff, BL would have bought it. I suspect my wholesaler paid around .75 per piece; & 1k is a very small dump. Wonder who got the rest of it? Oldies?
Old 09-23-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Another either reason or example of the impact of Big Lots backing way out of the dvd business:

As you may know, I am an internet cd/dvd retailer. One of my wholesalers today sent out a listing for 1,000 pieces @ $2 ea take all. While they didn't have a list, they sent a # of photographs of the product. It's major studio stuff (both single/doubles & box sets) like BL used to have until 2 years ago.

I'd say 1/4 - 1/3 of the stuff was good titles. I don't have $2k + shipping to buy it, so I'm not going to; but in BL's heyday. my wholesaler would never have had the chance to sell this stuff, BL would have bought it. I suspect my wholesaler paid around .75 per piece; & 1k is a very small dump. Wonder who got the rest of it? Oldies?
Post the pics!
Old 09-23-14, 11:11 PM

Are you suggesting BL wasn't interested in this dump because

1) the price was too high
2) the quantity was too small
3) they are simply less interested in DVD's today
4) something else
Old 09-23-14, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Are you suggesting BL wasn't interested in this dump because

1) the price was too high
2) the quantity was too small
3) they are simply less interested in DVD's today
4) something else
Because imo BL is largely giving up on DVD's.

I ran into the old Ast. manager of the store closest to me yesterday (He's now retired). We were fairly close buds in the day; he told me that they're not carrying as much of anything as they were, & that they are likely going to close the store he worked at.

Last edited by MooMooMooMoo; 09-23-14 at 11:55 PM.
Old 09-23-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Post the pics!
Is there any way I can do a direct post without first uploading them to another website? I'm willing to post them here, but I don't want to upload them elsewhere.

It doesn't currently seem to be an option.
Old 09-24-14, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DVDTalk does not host unfortunately but you could create a free whatever account, imgur for instance, in about 60 seconds and upload them there and never use that account again if you were worried about it.

I only ask as that is a business I would love to be in even though I know it hasn't really been feasible for awhile. If anyone wants to go in on being a Code Red sized producer though, I am up for it!
Old 09-24-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Are people finding the "Princess Bride Dread Pirate Edition" nationwide? I don't do the BL circuit anymore, but the 4 closest stores had nothing. What about "Boston Legal"? It's obviously not part of the Fox dump, but I'd buy some seasons if I could find them.
I just saw that Princess Bride edition today in a new waterfall display. The display also included things like the remastered 1978 animated version of Lord of the Rings, Defendor, a handful of BDs we've seen before, a handful of animated DC compilations, some other stuff.

Waves of Blu-ray merchandise got dumped on the market by a couple of clearance wholesalers in the past few days, mostly from WB. The Ultimate Matrix BD collection was selling for $15 and such.
Old 09-26-14, 11:28 AM

Nope, not much new.

BL seems to get less and less DVDs every day. The last batch I saw had brown stickers and I only saw about 20 DVDs with brown stickers per store.

Most stores are even organizing their DVDS because of their small selections. My closest store which used to get very large shipments was always a complete mess and now has about 50 copies of knocked up organized in one shelf.
Old 09-26-14, 12:31 PM

Are we due for another 20% off sale soon?
Old 09-26-14, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by lolitazz
Nope, not much new.

BL seems to get less and less DVDs every day. The last batch I saw had brown stickers and I only saw about 20 DVDs with brown stickers per store.

Most stores are even organizing their DVDS because of their small selections. My closest store which used to get very large shipments was always a complete mess and now has about 50 copies of knocked up organized in one shelf.
My store was getting pretty bare a month or two ago, now the wire rack is packed as are two waterfall displays. On the one hand, it's nice to see it so filled. On the other, there's really nothing I want. Plus, it means less room for new stock.
Old 09-27-14, 01:35 PM

Are we due for another 20% off sale soon?
Looks like it's Sunday, October 5th. http://www.biglots.com/page/coupon-master
Old 09-28-14, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

My local Big Lots received both the Halloween and Christmas promos. Found Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics and the Wolf Man (1941 Universial) for $5. The Christmas promo included A Christmas Carol (1938 or 39), Scrooged and A Christmas Story with two other movies in the set.

Old 09-28-14, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The K&L is a steal for $5.
Old 09-29-14, 07:15 AM

Old 09-29-14, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
My local Big Lots received both the Halloween and Christmas promos. Found Karloff & Lugosi Horror Classics and the Wolf Man (1941 Universial) for $5. The Christmas promo included A Christmas Carol (1938 or 39), Scrooged and A Christmas Story with two other movies in the set.
Spoiler:

Absolutely! I'd purchase a backup copy for that price should it show up here!
Old 09-29-14, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, yeah! After years of not finding the treasures everyone reports here, I was real happy to stumble across that set and the Crisis on Earth 2 BD on Saturday. I'm glad other folks have found it, too!
Old 09-30-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked up Dracula 75th Legacy for $5 and Vega$ Season 1 Vol 2 marked down to $1. Went to 5 different stores but didn't see K & L.
Old 09-30-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like I need to try to get to some BL's on Saturday.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.