Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Deep Discount 25% Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Deep Discount 25% Sale

only thing i bit on so far, is Guild season 4 for 8.72.
Old 11-03-11, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

FWIW, I was tracking about 50 possible blu-ray titles I want (mix of new and catalog).

ZERO went up in price before the sale started.

17 (one-third) did not qualify for the sale.

9 of the 17 are still the lowest price anywhere according to DVD Price Search.

So 42 out of 50 blu-ray titles on my list are cheaper at DD than anywhere else at the moment, and 33 of those are cheaper than yesterday.

Anyway, for any Simpsons fans out there Season 14 pre-order is on sale in both dvd and blu-ray for $7 to $10 cheaper than anywhere else.
Old 11-03-11, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adam_omega
Deep Red dvd $7.13
Any particular reason you didn't buy the Blu-ray?
Old 11-03-11, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Any particular reason you didn't buy the [Deep Red] Blu-ray?
Didn't want to pay double for a movie I might not watch more than once. Italian horror films are pretty hit or miss for me.
Old 11-03-11, 04:53 PM

It's not hard to narrow down the search for what is on sale. Just pick a genre of film, actor or director etc. Then click the Bi-Annual Sale link in the upper left of the web page, under the Shop All Departments banner.

So far:
Planet of the Apes (1968) Blu-Ray $12.23
Frankenstein 75th Anniversary $10.97
Gamera (1995-1999) Triple Feature Blu-Ray $9.99
Old 11-03-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
You linked this sale with a deliberate attempt to improve their reputation. One has nothing to with the other. In other words, it's nonsense.
You don't even know what you're talking about, a link to what? Have you noticed their sales over the last few years time? Compare and contrast from c. 2006 and now, where back then, most stuff was on sale during the promotional periods and as time progressed, the sales revolved on an x% rate on now selected items. You know as well as I do how they've gone on and teed off their customers with shotty service and the like and then that wowser of a deal they once had, in 40% off MSRP titles which got them nowhere. I grant the fact they're under new ownership now, but they need to remove their old ways of doing business and bringing back loyal customers if they want to remain relevant and to also improve upon the look of their webite as that's a pain to navigate. You call it what you want but to me, it's a [somewhat] tarnished reputation.
Old 11-03-11, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm mulling the two Jodorowsky titles, but that's it. Everything in my wish list will no doubt be cheaper at Amazon sooner or later.
Old 11-03-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This rush to defend DD always mystifies and amuses me. I can understand becoming frustrated over reading the same complaints about them time and time again, but to contrast that with an immediate defense seems a bit off. It's not as if the complaining, constant though it may be, is in any way unwarranted. Or do the defenders sincerely believe that this company has not deteriorated in the past few years? Being weary of the same old negativity about them I understand, but acting or pretending that the company has not seriously tarnished its reputation in recent years really ignores the reality. You want to somehow feel better about yourself for still patronizing them or just simply feel the need to go against the grain fine, but don't try to convince anyone that the company has not had serious issues for quite awhile now.
Old 11-03-11, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
You don't even know what you're talking about, a link to what? Have you noticed their sales over the last few years time? Compare and contrast from c. 2006 and now, where back then, most stuff was on sale during the promotional periods and as time progressed, the sales revolved on an x% rate on now selected items. You know as well as I do how they've gone on and teed off their customers with shotty service and the like and then that wowser of a deal they once had, in 40% off MSRP titles which got them nowhere. I grant the fact they're under new ownership now, but they need to remove their old ways of doing business and bringing back loyal customers if they want to remain relevant and to also improve upon the look of their webite as that's a pain to navigate. You call it what you want but to me, it's a [somewhat] tarnished reputation.
You obviously didn't read or understand what I wrote. I never said their reputation isn't tarnished. I said, this sale is NOT an attempt to improve that reputation. They have a terrible rep and they need to do lots of things to fix it but this isn't anything other than a sale. A poor version of the sale they've had for years.
You made a stupid comment when you said "And Deepdiscount expects to improve their tarnished reputation as a result of this "promotion"?" and I called you on it.
Point me to the ad/email/Facebook post/anything that says this is an attempt to win back customers and I'll take back I said. You can't because it's not. It's a bi-annual sale. Simple as that.
Old 11-03-11, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
This rush to defend DD always mystifies and amuses me. I can understand becoming frustrated over reading the same complaints about them time and time again, but to contrast that with an immediate defense seems a bit off. It's not as if the complaining, constant though it may be, is in any way unwarranted. Or do the defenders sincerely believe that this company has not deteriorated in the past few years? Being weary of the same old negativity about them I understand, but acting or pretending that the company has not seriously tarnished its reputation in recent years really ignores the reality. You want to somehow feel better about yourself for still patronizing them or just simply feel the need to go against the grain fine, but don't try to convince anyone that the company has not had serious issues for quite awhile now.
I don't think anyone is claiming that DD is still what it was 5 years ago, but some of the now standard complaints that fill these threads are exaggerated at best and flat wrong at worst. I would simply encourage people to check for themselves if they aren't sure rather than accept the hyperbole that litters the DD threads.
Old 11-03-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What's wrong with just saying the truth as you know it? I think it is instinctive for someone to express and reply with an opposite opinion when it is how they feel. Strong opinions evoke more strong opinions.

I've never had any real problems with them. The worst was when they went through that period of not having much stock, but I still pretty much got everything I ordered it just wasn't very quick. Now, they seem to be back on track. I will say the sale isn't what it used to be. I do miss the old times with the DD sales threads. It was fun.
Old 11-03-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
You obviously didn't read or understand what I wrote. I never said their reputation isn't tarnished. I said, this sale is NOT an attempt to improve that reputation. They have a terrible rep and they need to do lots of things to fix it but this isn't anything other than a sale. A poor version of the sale they've had for years.
You made a stupid comment when you said "And Deepdiscount expects to improve their tarnished reputation as a result of this "promotion"?" and I called you on it.
Point me to the ad/email/Facebook post/anything that says this is an attempt to win back customers and I'll take back I said. You can't because it's not. It's a bi-annual sale. Simple as that.
Chill dude! RELAX!!! Maybe i stated it poorly in my previous post but you're getting too bent out of shape over one sentence so just calm down, OK? I'll take back what i stated but what i was trying to say was that DD needs to do a better job in trying to win back their customers by offering a sale that was privy to what they had a few years ago and not just plainly focus on just offering a sale of specific items but then not be able to include everything else as once they did.

I apologize for my remark but you need to relax a bit as it's just an opinion. I'm sorry it came out wrong and i should have better written my statement to reflect the true meaning of what i wanted to originally say, so i wanted to clarify it here and now. Bottom line, just don't think this sale is going to help them much overall.
Old 11-03-11, 06:58 PM
CCS
Cool New Member

I was interested in buying Transformers the complete series. But since it's $77 on DD there would be no discount at all really. That website is outrageous.
Old 11-03-11, 07:36 PM

Picking up:

Batman Year One (Blu-Ray + DVD): $15.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Season 9: $8.56
Batman: the Brave & the Bold Season 2 Pt. 1 $11.84
THUNDERCATS SEASON 1 BOOK 1 $11.95
Old 11-03-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
Oh, this just breeds further questions & observations:

1. So, yes, according to you he is upset that he would be able to get his movie for less than it was priced at pre-sale. 25% or no, less expensive is less expensive.

2. The "digging through a bunch of crap" point, for this particular issue, seems moot, because he knows what he wants, goes right to it, sees that it's included in the sale, and hey it's less than it was yesterday, yay! Nothing in that original point suggested to me that he dug through a bunch of crap to get to it.

2.5. On this point, how do people shop for their movies these days? Me, I have a list of stuff that I'd like to get my hands on; a sale comes along, I check my list against what's offered on sale and make plans to get what matches my list if it's a price I like.

Are there people going to the 25% sale, sorting through page after page of titles, and with every page click silently cursing because they haven't found some "magic secret find," like Criterion 1-50 in a $50 set, marked to $15 with 25% off? Do people buy movies in these harsh economic times with little interest in what they're getting, as long as there's a great deal on it? That's the only way "digging through tons of crap" makes any sense to me. It's like hitting the Amazon Halloween sale & being pissed that they offer all the expected titles for sale, but not that one handful of obscure titles I was looking for, then getting pissed because not all horror movies are on the list.

3. If you can wait a month for it to drop in price, then quit complaining, wait a month, buy it then & post a thread about it here. Oh, then please tell me what movies I have on my wishlist are going to drop in price, and when, and what store, 'cause a lot of my wants haven't dropped in price at all, but are at their cheapest tin this sale ... even if it is just a dollar. Oh, and play the lottery too; you know, you have just as good a chance as anyone ...
I have a hard time when others impose their opinions on others like the way they do things is better than how others do it. Maybe it makes no sense to you, but to others it might. FOR EXAMPLE, maybe there are marginal want titles out there that might trigger a purchase if the price is right. The way you decide to approach these sales is no better than the way others might --- AND VICE VERSA. Unless someone is complaining, (which is what these threads tend to turn into at times), I see no reason to attack the opinions and habits of others.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I don't think anyone is claiming that DD is still what it was 5 years ago, but some of the now standard complaints that fill these threads are exaggerated at best and flat wrong at worst. I would simply encourage people to check for themselves if they aren't sure rather than accept the hyperbole that litters the DD threads.
I have had only good experiences with DD, but I know others have had problems --- the vast majority of which occurred before the new owners took over. I do appreciate the times when people will explain their own bad experiences from certain retailers, but the generalizations that become prevalent in DD threads are tiresome.
Old 11-03-11, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Canceled all my 11/8 pre-orders with Amazon and replaced them with DD- and saved about $15. I get charged tax at Amazon so that turns out to be a factor in overall savings as well.

The Collector (BD) $10.83
The Fisher King (BD) $10.83
Absence Of Malice (BD) $10.83
Little Big Man (BD) $16.60
Doctor Who Series Six Part 2 (BD) $19.99

In addition, they have a decent price on the West Side Story boxed set ($36.xx), and I may spring for that, despite the issues with it.

Oops- the only title price that is actually affected by this sale is the one on WSS. Doctor Who is listed as a 'deal grabber" so it may not last all that long (not that it is such a great deal you'll kick yourself for missing out on but...) All the other titles I listed are posted at what is presumably their regular discounted price. Whatever- it works for me as I still save enough to go to the small trouble of canceling and re-ordering.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 11-03-11 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-03-11, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only pattern of decent prices in the DeepDiscount/DVD Planet sales I've come across are (recent) releases by Blue Underground. I haven't cared to do much digging. Just reporting what I found. On the other hand, Anchor Bay bargains seem a thing of the past. I think some of us took those AB 2 for $10 or B1G1 sales for granted!
Old 11-03-11, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

My advice to all would be to search for something that you're interested in. I browsed through all the horror titles listed from the sale link and didn't see any of the titles I was interested in. Why bother having a link if you're not going to list everything? Anyway, I did my own searches and saw:

Frankenhooker (BD) $11.47
Maniac Cop (BD) $11.16

Frankenhooker is $10 cheaper at DD than Amazon. 42nd Street Forever Vols. 1-5 DVD are $9.83 each. That's around $5 cheaper than at Amazon, depending on the volume. Maybe those aren't for all tastes, but those are good prices on those titles. I'll probably pick up a couple of the 42nd Street Forever discs and wait on the Blu-rays for now.
Old 11-04-11, 01:19 AM

This rush to defend DD always mystifies and amuses me. I can understand becoming frustrated over reading the same complaints about them time and time again, but to contrast that with an immediate defense seems a bit off. It's not as if the complaining, constant though it may be, is in any way unwarranted. Or do the defenders sincerely believe that this company has not deteriorated in the past few years?
I can only answer for myself. I've seen no evidence of deterioration. Every single order I've ever had with them (and it's well into double digits) has arrived in good condition and reasonably timely. Their prices don't seem as good because other companies are more aggressively discounting on selected items. The advice about waiting for a better price is probably true about anyone's sale price. 99% of the time, if you're patient enough, there will eventually be a better price on something.

I bought 40 titles from them at the last sale at what I considered (and still consider) good prices and I had to narrow it down to 40 to keep from spending even more money than I planned. I've already found several titles for this sale and I'll probably place an order this weekend when I've got time to look a bit more carefully.

Their sale is a legitimate sale, and their prices on a lot of items are (a) lower than they were a week ago and (b) lower than what the competition has right now. Their prices undoubtedly aren't as good as what someone someday is going to have.

What amazes me is how many people obsess on this site about DD. I've come across bunches of online and brick-and-mortar retailers that I didn't or no longer do business with. I have no need whatsoever to keep going back to them hoping that they will give me another reason to gloat about not doing business with them.
Old 11-04-11, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I have a hard time when others impose their opinions on others like the way they do things is better than how others do it. Maybe it makes no sense to you, but to others it might. FOR EXAMPLE, maybe there are marginal want titles out there that might trigger a purchase if the price is right. The way you decide to approach these sales is no better than the way others might --- AND VICE VERSA. Unless someone is complaining, (which is what these threads tend to turn into at times), I see no reason to attack the opinions and habits of others.
I know, right? That's why I asked the question, for clarification.
Old 11-04-11, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by clckworang
My advice to all would be to search for something that you're interested in. I browsed through all the horror titles listed from the sale link and didn't see any of the titles I was interested in. Why bother having a link if you're not going to list everything? Anyway, I did my own searches and saw:

Frankenhooker (BD) $11.47
Maniac Cop (BD) $11.16

Frankenhooker is $10 cheaper at DD than Amazon. 42nd Street Forever Vols. 1-5 DVD are $9.83 each. That's around $5 cheaper than at Amazon, depending on the volume. Maybe those aren't for all tastes, but those are good prices on those titles. I'll probably pick up a couple of the 42nd Street Forever discs and wait on the Blu-rays for now.
I cant seem to get Frankenhooker to come up on their search engine...

Also, definitely don't rely on their categories for the sale, tons of stuff is on sale that isnt in the main sale category...
Old 11-04-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone have a link to Frankenhooker? I can't find it on the site.
Old 11-04-11, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
only thing i bit on so far, is Guild season 4 for 8.72.
Oh! Thanks. I hadn't thought of that one. I'll probably pick this up as well if I can find other stuff to get free shipping. Maybe upgrade my Dr. Horrible to Blu-Ray...

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that the title is $7.99 at Amazon. *sigh* I'm not a DeepDiscount-basher, but the fact is these sales are no longer the regular event that so many of us were accustomed to.

Some other titles on my wishlist that are the lowest price at present (but not cheap enough for me to pull the trigger):

All 3 Young Indiana Jones boxsets.
Aqua Unit Patrol Squad Volume 1
Venture Bros.: Season 4 (Blu-Ray)

Last edited by fidodido; 11-04-11 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-04-11, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cf...4-EC55D3842DC7
Old 11-04-11, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by fidodido
Oh! Thanks. I hadn't thought of that one. I'll probably pick this up as well if I can find other stuff to get free shipping. Maybe upgrade my Dr. Horrible to Blu-Ray...

Edit: Actually, I just noticed that the title is $7.99 at Amazon. *sigh* I'm not a DeepDiscount-basher, but the fact is these sales are no longer the regular event that so many of us were accustomed to.

Some other titles on my wishlist that are the lowest price at present (but not cheap enough for me to pull the trigger):

All 3 Young Indiana Jones boxsets.
Aqua Unit Patrol Squad Volume 1
Venture Bros.: Season 4 (Blu-Ray)
Always a good idea to run a title though dvdpricesearch.com before you pull the trigger, unless you have a gift card or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.