Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Deep Discount 25% Sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 10:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Deep Discount 25% Sale

Just checked some dvds I was interested in and I guess it's official that it's another bs "selective" 25% off sale.
Old 11-03-11, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eh... This is even worse than last time when at least a few of my wishlist titles were unaffected by the price increases and the 25% off was a pretty significant discount. This time even a lot of the obscure titles in my cart went up a few dollars.

There's still two or three titles I'll probably end up getting, but that's it.

Oh well. I had $100 budgeted for this sale - now I'll probably just end up using that extra money to buy a few more Criterions from B&N.

Edit: Actually, I only ended up ordering one title - "Anti-Nazi Classics, Vol. 2." That'll be it for me for this sale.

Last edited by Sondheim; 11-03-11 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-03-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not much of a sale but I did grab the new Zombie blu for $18.52.
Old 11-03-11, 12:09 PM

The DD Sale is disappointing but expected. The DVD's I wanted were either not on sale or on sale but still cheaper on Amazon.
Old 11-03-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Not at all surprised at what many of you are reporting. Still, when I get off work tonight, I'll look around and see if there are any good deals that I'm interested in.
Old 11-03-11, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stroszeck
Dude you guys PLEASE stop supporting this site. The DAY before the fake sale they jack up their prices. The two fassbinder titles I was gonna order went from $13 to $16 since yesterday. Deepdiscount used to be awesome, and I'm almost certain they made a ton of money. Sad to see how dumb they are these days, losing valued customers who spent a truckload of money every year. Their loss....
No.

You're mad that your $13 movie went up to $16, which at 25% off is $12, still less expensive than the original price? Even at a dollar cheaper than it started off with, is it cheaper than you can find it elsewhere? If so, why does it bother you? I ask you, as a representative of those folks here that continue to voice the same things about DD over and over, and yet continue to profess that they don't even use DD anyway.

Of all of the DVDs on my wishlist, there's a LOT that are not on sale (gasp! and horror!), but of the ones that are, they didn't go up in price, they were cheaper BEFORE the discount, but now are almost nothing, and I stand to pitch about $150 for nearly 20 dvds. Not a bad deal, I think.

All those other DVDs, shit, I'll probably just get them from Wal-Mart's Site-to-Store. Then, hopefully, what I can't find cheap in stores, hopefully I can find them on the bus.
Old 11-03-11, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
Even at a dollar cheaper than it started off with, is it cheaper than you can find it elsewhere? If so, why does it bother you? I ask you, as a representative of those folks here that continue to voice the same things about DD over and over, and yet continue to profess that they don't even use DD anyway.

Of all of the DVDs on my wishlist, there's a LOT that are not on sale (gasp! and horror!), but of the ones that are, they didn't go up in price, they were cheaper BEFORE the discount, but now are almost nothing, and I stand to pitch about $150 for nearly 20 dvds. Not a bad deal, I think.
Amen.

At the last sale, I bought 40 titles (a number of them box sets, so there's a good bit more than 40 individual movies) for $275, and I had to take a number of items out of the cart to get it to that level. What happened was that I figured out that there were great prices on VCI titles, so I got a bunch of them.

I go into sales like this the same way I go into a flea market or a pawn shop. I don't go looking for one or two particular items but rather to see what they've got good prices on and which of those I would like. I didn't go hunting for Northville Cemetery Massacre at the last sale, but when I got a great deal I took it.

A quick check reveals the VCI titles for the most part aren't as cheap as they were six months ago. But I've already got about $50 in my cart now and I haven't really done much looking. I'll figure out what there is at a bargain and get it, the same way I do with Amazon.

DD doesn't owe me the same prices or the same deal they had five years ago. A lot of companies that offered ridiculous prices back then are out of business now. DD is doing rather well (the fact that Warner has picked them to handle distribution of Archive titles indicates they consider DD a quality operation).

Maybe some of the people here get as much enjoyment bashing DD or sitting around fantasizing that some day the "good old days" may come back as they do watching movies, and it doesn't cost a cent. I'd rather take advantage of what they offer and get movies I like at a good price.
Old 11-03-11, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

If anyone finds a bargain at this sale please post it. I honestly don't need to read another post about how good it use to be or how they jacked up their prices before the sale. I know all about that but I am looking for bargains.
Old 11-03-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nate the Great
No.

You're mad that your $13 movie went up to $16, which at 25% off is $12, still less expensive than the original price?

He's mad that what you're describing isn't "25% off".

Even at a dollar cheaper than it started off with, is it cheaper than you can find it elsewhere?
Yes. Maybe not at this exact moment, but if I wait a month I'll be able to find better deals -- and without having to dig through a bunch of crap to find items eligible for this sale.
Old 11-03-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
(the fact that Warner has picked them to handle distribution of Archive titles indicates they consider DD a quality operation).
So? Oldies.com & Movies Unlimited stock them too. DD's not some sort of elite retailer.
Old 11-03-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
So? Oldies.com & Movies Unlimited stock them too. DD's not some sort of elite retailer.
Warner Brothers used DD to ship Archive titles purchased directly from the Warner Bros. website.
Old 11-03-11, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
If you order WA titles off the Warner site, DD packages and ships them (I have to say I've never ordered an Archive title from Oldies or Movies Unlimited so I don't know what happens in that event). Most people who order Archive titles will order them directly from Warner, and people who order products from the Warner site will look to Warner if there's problems. The fact that Warner entrusts the fulfillment of those orders to DD tells me something about DD.
Old 11-03-11, 03:03 PM

Alright, this is what I came away with.

More Brains! DVD $10.12
Beyond the Darkness Blu-ray/DVD $12.99
Tromeo & Juliet Blu-ray $9.12
Riki-Oh Blu-ray $13.37 Preorder
Destroy All Monsters Blu-ray $15.71 Preorder
Godzilla vs. Megalon Blu-ray $15.71 Preorder
Old 11-03-11, 03:05 PM

I notice that DeepDiscount no longer has a phone number you can call. Made the mistake of placing an order for two dvds... then cancelling them a few minutes later so I could include them in a larger order. No idea if the original order got cancelled or not, though. Guess I'll have to wait for a reply to their email form.

Still, some decent deals...

El Topo BD $11.30
Holy Mountain BD $11.30
Fantastic Voyage dvd $10.50
Deep Red dvd $7.13
Harder they Come dvd $7.19
Maximum Overdrive dvd $5.72
Sometimes They Come Back dvd $7.07
Carnival of Souls (mike nelson ce) dvd $5.53
Spaceballs animated dvd $6.94
Old 11-03-11, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by adam_omega
I notice that DeepDiscount no longer has a phone number you can call. Made the mistake of placing an order for two dvds... then cancelling them a few minutes later so I could include them in a larger order. No idea if the original order got cancelled or not, though. Guess I'll have to wait for a reply to their email form.

El Topo BD $11.30
Holy Mountain BD $11.30
Fantastic Voyage dvd $10.50
Deep Red dvd $7.13
Harder they Come dvd $7.19
Maximum Overdrive dvd $5.72
Sometimes They Come Back dvd $7.07
Carnival of Souls (mike nelson ce) dvd $5.53
Spaceballs animated dvd $6.94
Adam, their number is 1-800-264-5076 and I wanted to get a specific DVD to my liking but aloso found out that the sale is nly limited to select DVD titles, whihc blows, so just going to get it at a brick & mortar store. And Deepdiscount expects to improve their tarnished reputation as a result of this "promotion"? Good luck in that!
Old 11-03-11, 03:18 PM

Women in Prison Triple Feature (Chained Heat, Red Heat, Jungle Warriors) $13.63 after discount
Old 11-03-11, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
He's mad that what you're describing isn't "25% off".

Yes. Maybe not at this exact moment, but if I wait a month I'll be able to find better deals -- and without having to dig through a bunch of crap to find items eligible for this sale.
Oh, this just breeds further questions & observations:

1. So, yes, according to you he is upset that he would be able to get his movie for less than it was priced at pre-sale. 25% or no, less expensive is less expensive.

2. The "digging through a bunch of crap" point, for this particular issue, seems moot, because he knows what he wants, goes right to it, sees that it's included in the sale, and hey it's less than it was yesterday, yay! Nothing in that original point suggested to me that he dug through a bunch of crap to get to it.

2.5. On this point, how do people shop for their movies these days? Me, I have a list of stuff that I'd like to get my hands on; a sale comes along, I check my list against what's offered on sale and make plans to get what matches my list if it's a price I like.

Are there people going to the 25% sale, sorting through page after page of titles, and with every page click silently cursing because they haven't found some "magic secret find," like Criterion 1-50 in a $50 set, marked to $15 with 25% off? Do people buy movies in these harsh economic times with little interest in what they're getting, as long as there's a great deal on it? That's the only way "digging through tons of crap" makes any sense to me. It's like hitting the Amazon Halloween sale & being pissed that they offer all the expected titles for sale, but not that one handful of obscure titles I was looking for, then getting pissed because not all horror movies are on the list.

3. If you can wait a month for it to drop in price, then quit complaining, wait a month, buy it then & post a thread about it here. Oh, then please tell me what movies I have on my wishlist are going to drop in price, and when, and what store, 'cause a lot of my wants haven't dropped in price at all, but are at their cheapest tin this sale ... even if it is just a dollar. Oh, and play the lottery too; you know, you have just as good a chance as anyone ...

Last edited by Nate the Great; 11-03-11 at 03:34 PM. Reason: spelling on a mobile is a hazard
Old 11-03-11, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=rmw650;10990998And Deepdiscount expects to improve their tarnished reputation as a result of this "promotion"? Good luck in that![/QUOTE]

What nonsense. This is a sale they run all the time. Sending out the $5 and $10 coupons via email was an attempt to "improve their tarnished reputation" but this is a sale, nothing more.
Old 11-03-11, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a sale, you're right, but nothing like what it used to be, so try and justify the fact that they've had a tarnished reputation for the last few years time and then to pass on these savings on just specific DVDs and not on everything as it was back then? Yeah, I know times have changed but the objective here is to gain customers and not lose them. So explain to me in your own terminology how that is nonsense?
Old 11-03-11, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by akiramole
Alright, this is what I came away with.

Tromeo & Juliet Blu-ray $9.12
Riki-Oh Blu-ray $13.37 Preorder
Destroy All Monsters Blu-ray $15.71 Preorder
Godzilla vs. Megalon Blu-ray $15.71 Preorder
Originally Posted by adam_omega

El Topo BD $11.30
Holy Mountain BD $11.30
Nice. It looks there are some pretty good Blu-ray deals to be found. I'm mainly interested in seeing some Blu-ray prices for Blue Underground, Synapse and Something Weird titles. I'll give that a look when I get home.
Old 11-03-11, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650
Adam, their number is 1-800-264-5076
Ah, thanks!
Old 11-03-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like they're trying to clear out dead stock.
"monster" sale, really?
Old 11-03-11, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rmw650
It's a sale, you're right, but nothing like what it used to be, so try and justify the fact that they've had a tarnished reputation for the last few years time and then to pass on these savings on just specific DVDs and not on everything as it was back then? Yeah, I know times have changed but the objective here is to gain customers and not lose them. So explain to me in your own terminology how that is nonsense?
You linked this sale with a deliberate attempt to improve their reputation. One has nothing to with the other. In other words, it's nonsense.
Old 11-03-11, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

The four DVDs I wanted didn't go up in price! It's a Deep Discount miracle!
Old 11-03-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the price on the Godzilla pre-orders. They will be mine.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.