Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

B&N 50% Criterion Sale starting Tuesday, Nov. 1st...

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B&N 50% Criterion Sale starting Tuesday, Nov. 1st...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: B&N 50% Criterion Sale starting Tuesday, Nov. 1st...

Kiss Me Deadly - blu-ray
Night of the Hunter - blu-ray
Equinox - dvd
Stagecoach - blu-ray
Fiend without a Face - dvd
$99.95

It's the best I can do since there's only 1 store within 100 miles and it doesn't carry movies, so I have to order online.
Old 11-02-11, 12:15 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Just came get from my first round. Picked up Carlos with the AMEX coupon and member discount. Something I'm extremely happy about...they did away the the section off DVD area. Normally the same clerk would always be working and remember me coming in day after day to use a coupon. Now that its just in with the books, the people up front wont remember. Love it. Now I can use 20% + 10% on pretty much all my purchases.
Old 11-02-11, 05:57 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Backlog
It could be argued that you should never pay anything for Armageddon.
Originally Posted by JoeySeven
I say they should pay you to take it.
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan
That's a very polite way of putting it. The only way to get me to set eyes on Armageddon again would be to pay me or force it upon me via Ludovico Treatment.

Sorry you guys didn't think this movie was any good, my wife & I happened to like it, thought it was highly entertaining. I'd like to see what the extended version of it would be like and apparently the only way to get it is to buy the Criterion release but there's no way in hell I'll pay very much for it so Ebay is probably my best bet. I've seen it used at FYE but the disc was in sad shape (how can anyone scratch the shit out of their DVDs like that, then expect to sell them to anyone? I guess there's a sucker born every minute, but it should have gone in the dumpster, not on a shelf at FYE). -kd5-
Old 11-02-11, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my extended version from the UK for about four dollars. Anamorphic, with all the Criterion extras, too!

kd5, remember that the Criterion Armageddon isn't anamorphic. Plenty of people are selling it on Amazon for cheap new and used.
Old 11-02-11, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5
Sorry you guys didn't think this movie was any good, my wife & I happened to like it, thought it was highly entertaining. I'd like to see what the extended version of it would be like and apparently the only way to get it is to buy the Criterion release but there's no way in hell I'll pay very much for it so Ebay is probably my best bet. I've seen it used at FYE but the disc was in sad shape (how can anyone scratch the shit out of their DVDs like that, then expect to sell them to anyone? I guess there's a sucker born every minute, but it should have gone in the dumpster, not on a shelf at FYE). -kd5-
All you need to do is go to any pawn shop and you'll find Armageddon and Chasing Amy
Old 11-02-11, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I was able to use two $8 coupons tonight on Carlos and Kuroneko. I offered to do separate transactions, and it worked like a charm. Back tomorrow for Harakiri and Koreyoshi Kurahara box.
Old 11-03-11, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
All you need to do is go to any pawn shop and you'll find Armageddon and Chasing Amy

They'll probably offer you money to take them off their hands, too.
Old 11-03-11, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

As a pawn shop haunter, I don't see many Armageddons, but i do see tons of Chasing Amy & Life Aquatic. With the recent Big Lots dump, I'm sure we'll also see lots of Benjamin Button coming soon to a pawn shop near you!
Old 11-03-11, 07:16 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I bought my extended version from the UK for about four dollars. Anamorphic, with all the Criterion extras, too!

kd5, remember that the Criterion Armageddon isn't anamorphic. Plenty of people are selling it on Amazon for cheap new and used.
Apparently the only way to get the extended version in the US is to buy the Criterion Collection DVD.

The Criterion is not anamorphic? Letterboxed? I'm not keen on letterboxed if the combined bars take up half the viewing area. If it's letterboxed I may have to rethink this. I have a TV which has Cinema Wide mode, which reduces the bars a little by stretching the image slightly, but it doesn't do a whole lot.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Originally Posted by Dr. Calamari
They'll probably offer you money to take them off their hands, too.
Whatever. -kd5-
Old 11-03-11, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a fan of Armageddon but I don't think this thread is the place to criticize it.
Old 11-03-11, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
The Criterion is not anamorphic? Letterboxed? I'm not keen on letterboxed if the combined bars take up half the viewing area. If it's letterboxed I may have to rethink this. I have a TV which has Cinema Wide mode, which reduces the bars a little by stretching the image slightly, but it doesn't do a whole lot.
Yes, at spine #40 it's letterboxed. Criterion's first anamorphic widescreen transfer was for Insomnia (#47). [One of my all-time favorites. For those who have only seen the Nolan remake... *tsk tsk tsk*]

Btw, DVD Empire lists Armageddon as OOP. That could be a reason B&N doesn't have it on sale.
Old 11-03-11, 08:47 AM

Received another email from B&N this morning with a 15% off (one item) coupon code. It worked on the Criterions also.

15% off one item
Old 11-03-11, 09:45 AM

Here's a weird one. Got a 20% off one item email today, so called my local B&N to order American Lost & Found (the store can't order it for stock, for some reason, so it has to be prepaid). My 20% coupon code went through fine, but my 10% membership didn't, and I was told that the 10% member discount doesn't apply to pre-paid orders. Okay, say I -- I'll order it online. I did, and got the exact same thing. It wouldn't give me a 10% member discount. Anyone knows what's up with that?
Old 11-03-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by The Escapist
Here's a weird one. Got a 20% off one item email today, so called my local B&N to order American Lost & Found (the store can't order it for stock, for some reason, so it has to be prepaid). My 20% coupon code went through fine, but my 10% membership didn't, and I was told that the 10% member discount doesn't apply to pre-paid orders. Okay, say I -- I'll order it online. I did, and got the exact same thing. It wouldn't give me a 10% member discount. Anyone knows what's up with that?
It's disappointing but not weird at all. B&N did away with the member discount online a long time ago; you only get the discount in stores. Placing a "ship to home" order via the store is the same as ordering online so there's no member discount.
Old 11-03-11, 11:12 AM

Thanks, jwstl -- hadn't realized that!
Old 11-03-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Had my first misinterpretation of a coupon today, taking the 50% off as the $40 price threshold. I pointed out the wording on the coupon, which seemed to confuse the clerk even more leading to a Manager call.

So over comes the Manager, who agreed with me on the wording of the coupon, but stood firm on "$39.99 is not over $40.00". Ultimately, there is no way to argue that one.
Old 11-03-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kd5
Whatever. -kd5-
I wasn't knocking the film, I just remember all the pawn shop find threads and there were always people saying they saw and/or bought those two movies at their pawn shop.
Old 11-07-11, 02:00 AM

Used a 30% coupon and bought the America Lost and Found DVD set today for about $37.
Old 11-07-11, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Had my first misinterpretation of a coupon today, taking the 50% off as the $40 price threshold. I pointed out the wording on the coupon, which seemed to confuse the clerk even more leading to a Manager call.

So over comes the Manager, who agreed with me on the wording of the coupon, but stood firm on "$39.99 is not over $40.00". Ultimately, there is no way to argue that one.
My argument against that is that whenever they take a discount off (like 50% off $39.99), they always round up (hence why a $39.99 Blu rings up at $20.00 after the discount, when it should really ring up as 19.99). So they should just round up when applying the "$8 of $40" coupon.

I haven't had any issues using those coupons.

Last edited by bobertkay99; 11-07-11 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobertkay99
My argument against that is that whenever they take a discount off (like 50% off $39.99), they always round up (hence why a $39.99 Blu rings up at $20.00 after the discount, when it should really ring up as 19.99). So they should just round up when applying the "$8 of $40" coupon.
I hope you realize that that argument is nonsensical.
Old 11-07-11, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I used the "$8 off $40" coupon successfully today and bought The Killing on Blu for $10.50. The cashier accepted it without any question, and the transaction went through without a hitch.

The key to using coupons is to do so under the radar. On the occasions when you are denied, accept defeat gracefully and don't try to "jailhouse lawyer" the clerk to get your way. Booksellers don't get paid enough to put up with those shenanigans, and making a fuss will only spoil the use of coupons for everyone else. Remember that the legit discount is 50%, and that we are sweetening the deal for ourselves by flouting the terms of agreement on the coupons.

Last edited by Gobear; 11-07-11 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-07-11, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by illennium
I hope you realize that that argument is nonsensical.
Perhaps in a mathematical and logical sense, but what matters is that it makes sense to the clerks EVERY TIME they ring me up.
Old 11-10-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am so tempted to grab Berlin Alexanderplatz with the new 25% coupon. With sales tax, it would come to around $50. I can't afford it, but it's unlikely it will ever get cheaper.

Interesting fyi: B&N is also selling at least some of the Criterions on ebay @ 50% off.
Old 11-10-11, 02:12 PM

I'm debating Night Of The Hunter on Blu which before any discounts is 49.99.
Should I expect any YMMV on this in regards to the 8/40?.

Watched customers last Saturday afternoon crash and burn at a couple of mall stores with the 39.99 title(s) with a 8/40. Both places were also turning away multiple coupon use. From the small sample I seen at each store waiting in both lines. I didn't see anyone try using the 8/40 coupon on any titles actually listed over 40.
Old 11-12-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit on the Alexanderplatz. With the 50%, 25% & the ##@!@#! sales tax, it came to $51.22. It's pretty safe to say that is the most I've ever spent on a dvd set that didn't have either "Heimat" or "Ken Burns Jazz" in the title!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.