Reload this Page >

Borders Liquidation

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Borders Liquidation

Old 08-17-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Borders Liquidation

The only thing I found worth buying at the Borders at the Time Warner Building in NYC was 2012 calendars at 50% off. They have tons of them so the price will probably get better. That is usually my Day after Christmas at Barnes and Noble purchase. This year I will be able to take advantage of all 16 months in the calendar. Blu-rays and DVDs are cheaper elsewhere.

Update: 8/18 Calendars are 60% off.

Last edited by Classic Films; 08-18-11 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Blu-rays and DVDs are cheaper elsewhere.
More so for DVDs than Blu-ray since DVDs are only 30% off.
Through the end of today you can get an extra 10% off everything if you buy 6 items or an extra 15% off when you buy 8. Since it applies to any item you can get Blu-rays with books etc. Yesterday, I bought a few bargain books, a couple of 50% off CDs, and a couple of Blu-rays to save the extra 15%.
Old 08-18-11, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wait until this or next weekend to venture into one of their stores and see what's still available.
Old 08-19-11, 09:57 PM

I noticed some orange stickers on some DVDs that I purchased and most of those DVD's came up to less than the advertised % off the sticker price. I asked an employee about it but she was clueless and there weren't many employees around to ask in the first place. Example, I bought a $19.99 list price DVD with an orange sticker and it came out to $4.99. I bought a 29.99 DVD with an orange sticker and it came out to $14.99. Do the orange stickers mean more % off on those? Wondering if anyone had any insight. I could not find any info posted anywhere in store.
Old 08-19-11, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pepsiguy
I noticed some orange stickers on some DVDs that I purchased and most of those DVD's came up to less than the advertised % off the sticker price. I asked an employee about it but she was clueless and there weren't many employees around to ask in the first place. Example, I bought a $19.99 list price DVD with an orange sticker and it came out to $4.99. I bought a 29.99 DVD with an orange sticker and it came out to $14.99. Do the orange stickers mean more % off on those? Wondering if anyone had any insight. I could not find any info posted anywhere in store.
The movies and CDs with orange/red stickers were on clearance before the bankruptcy and are now supposed to be 50% off.

Tonight at Borders I saw something I didn't expect to see. On the door was a sign that said "Now Hiring! Apply at Borders.com".
Old 08-20-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Every little bit helps so that's a hell of a deal.
Old 08-20-11, 07:31 PM
Cool New Member

Today I bought the A&E boxed set of 9 DVDs of the Complete Danger Mouse series which was marked with a red sticker and priced at $9.99. It rang up at 4.99 plus sales tax. There seemed to be very few items with a red sticker.
Old 08-21-11, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

The Red sticker meant 50% off cd & DVD here (Pierce Co, Washington).
Old 08-21-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take full advantage of it if you can.
Old 08-23-11, 07:23 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Finally got a chance to go to the only Borders store that's close enough to warrant a trip, I can fully understand why Borders is going out of business. First, the selection was piss poor, but that's not my biggest gripe. Borders has such a high price tag on their DVDs that 40% off didn't even bring them anywhere near my comfort zone. Consider: They had Paranormal Activity 2 priced at $26.99 while Best Buy just had it on sale for $8.99 a couple of weeks ago. 40% off $26.99 is still over $16.00 which is WAY more than other retailers want for it right now regularly priced. I can't believe Borders stayed in business as long as they did with prices as high as I saw. They beat FYE for the highest prices on DVDs, and that's saying something! And to think people are actually paying those prices... -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 08-24-11 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-23-11, 08:38 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

I couldn't believe the one thing I walked in to the store looking for they actually had... Samuel Fuller Collection. It was only 40%, so I hid it in hopes that it will continue to drop and I'll get it for cheaper. Well see if it works out. They had barely any other selections though.
Old 08-24-11, 06:06 PM

i wandered in after seeing the huge signs for 40-60% off and had to laugh once i was in there. inception on dvd for 28.99? even with the 40% off it would still be over 17 dollars. you can buy it on walmart's website for less than seven dollars. and that's with no discounts at all! no wonder they're closing down.
Old 08-24-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by undecided
i wandered in after seeing the huge signs for 40-60% off and had to laugh once i was in there. inception on dvd for 28.99? even with the 40% off it would still be over 17 dollars. you can buy it on walmart's website for less than seven dollars. and that's with no discounts at all! no wonder they're closing down.
Misconception of the ill-informed. Liquidation sales are always discounted from the list price and when Borders was Borders, they actually had sales and sold things below list. Granted, it wasn't always this way but in the last year they really had some nice prices on some movies. It was usually on selected items but with sales or coupons and the Rewards Plus discount I was able to get deals I couldn't get elsewhere. And they also price matched. I wish they had pushed that more. I was able to get new releases for less at Borders by PMing and using the Rewards Plus discount. But it was all too little too late. And here we are.
Old 08-24-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
Misconception of the ill-informed. Liquidation sales are always discounted from the list price and when Borders was Borders, they actually had sales and sold things below list. Granted, it wasn't always this way but in the last year they really had some nice prices on some movies. It was usually on selected items but with sales or coupons and the Rewards Plus discount I was able to get deals I couldn't get elsewhere. And they also price matched. I wish they had pushed that more. I was able to get new releases for less at Borders by PMing and using the Rewards Plus discount. But it was all too little too late. And here we are.
Just one of many reasons why Borders is going under by the end of next month.
Old 08-25-11, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

And of course another reason they're going under is because many CDs were priced at $18.99- even with the 40% off that's too much! I saw a ton of Sting's Christmas album at one store, though that was bargain-priced at only $16.99.
Old 08-25-11, 10:25 AM

borders.com lists the stores at 50%-70% off. Anybody know the specific discounts in the various sections. ie. are dvds still 30% off or has it changed? I'm interested in the percent off in all the sections since I have to drive quite a bit to get to a borders, the more info. ahead of time the better. Thanks.
Old 08-25-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Reindeer
borders.com lists the stores at 50%-70% off. Anybody know the specific discounts in the various sections. ie. are dvds still 30% off or has it changed? I'm interested in the percent off in all the sections since I have to drive quite a bit to get to a borders, the more info. ahead of time the better. Thanks.
DVDs were 40% off the last few days; I don't know what they are now. They were also offering an extra 15% off for Rewards Plus members but I believe that was just Monday-Wednesday. And it turns out, they had no way to check to see if you really were a Rewards Plus member so you just had to say you were to get the discount. I hope they do that again.
Old 08-25-11, 11:00 AM

When the Saratoga NY store closed this past spring, I waited pretty much until the last minute. True, the DVD and CD selection was negligable, but I picked up some great books at 70 and 80 percent off.
Old 08-25-11, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Reindeer
Call? I just did to see for at least Blu's which are now 60%.
Old 08-25-11, 01:35 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

As of today

Blu rays 60% off
DVDs 50% off
CDs 50% off
2012 Calendars 70% off
Old 08-25-11, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Classic Films
As of today

Blu rays 60% off
DVDs 50% off
CDs 50% off
2012 Calendars 70% off
Thank you kindly.
Old 08-25-11, 01:58 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

All they had to do was lower their prices so their regular prices were more in line with everyone else's and more people would be more inclined to buy more from Borders. As it was, they did their little sales on their little selected items, and if you applied coupons and discounts and you had their little membership card, you could actually get a deal. No wonder they're going out of business. -kd5-
Old 08-25-11, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kd5
All they had to do was lower their prices so their regular prices were more in line with everyone else's and more people would be more inclined to buy more from Borders. As it was, they did their little sales on their little selected items, and if you applied coupons and discounts and you had their little membership card, you could actually get a deal. No wonder they're going out of business. -kd5-
Again, they're going out of business because they failed to embrace e-readers and botched their web business. People aren't buying as much physical media anymore so basing a large national business on that is no longer a viable option.
Old 08-25-11, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
botched their web business.
I've said this before but this is the key.... They sent all their customers to Amazon for years and they couldn't get them back. Even if Borders became a decent place to buy in the last year it was too little too late.
Old 08-25-11, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've said this before but this is the key.... They sent all their customers to Amazon for years and they couldn't get them back. Even if Borders became a decent place to buy in the last year it was too little too late.
Yes, in what may be a first for the Internet, you convinced me of this fact in an earlier discussion. I still think the lack of an e-reader was huge, but I definitely see your point about Amazon and agree. I now think those were the two main factors.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.