DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Criterion 50% off sale at B&N starting July 12, get out your credit cards

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-11, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Criterion 50% off sale at B&N starting July 12, get out your credit cards

Originally Posted by albert_m
Went to one of the local stores to get Broadcast News and was surprised to see it was "select titles" I don't remember that from before and from seeing lists on this thread before I left work, I assumed it was like previous sales...?
thats a typo.

Picked up
The Human Condition (retail is 79.99)
The America BBS set (retail is 99.99)
and
Blow Out (retail is 29.99)

final total came to 111 and change, so yeah, its all titles in store
Old 07-13-11, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm broke (sigh)

Solaris $13.50
Carnival of Souls $17.99
Total $31.48
Old 07-13-11, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've wanted the Casavetes set for years, but I don't think I can buy a dvd set of something that will probably come out on blu ray within a year or two.
Old 07-13-11, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaza
I've wanted the Casavetes set for years, but I don't think I can buy a dvd set of something that will probably come out on blu ray within a year or two.
This is a problem for me too. I'm tempted by it, and theoretically I should be able to stack 5 off 50 and 8 off 40 coupons on it, plus get member discount in store, which would make it $43.25.

But then it may come out on BD.

The Varda set is also of interest to me, and that is also eligible for the 8 off 40.

I hate to let these 8 off 40 coupons go unused, but there's nothing else I want that I could use them on (unless I get lucky and my store allows them for Night of the Hunter).
Old 07-13-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Using the 10% AAA discount:
Black Moon (13.49)
Makioka Sisters (8.99)
Zazie Danse le Metro (13.49)
People on Sunday (13.49)
Kiss Me Deadly (13.49)

On 7/26 I'll order The Music Room and Leon Morin
Old 07-13-11, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chaza
I would buy the sets because chances are only one film of the set will be released on Blu-ray and then you'll have to wait again for another release from the set.

It's like the release of "Au Revoir Les Enfants" on Blu-ray, people were hoping the "3 Films by Louis Malle" (which that title was part of) would be release but only one title was.

The Cassavetes, Rohmer, Varda, Bergman, The Adventures of Antoine Doinel,Carl Theodor Dryer Box Set, Eisenstein Sound Years, The Brd Trilogy, etc. sets are too good to pass up on these sales! Great sets!!!
Old 07-13-11, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kndy
The Cassavetes, Rohmer, Varda, Bergman, The Adventures of Antoine Doinel,Carl Theodor Dryer Box Set, Eisenstein Sound Years, The Brd Trilogy, etc. sets are too good to pass up on these sales! Great sets!!!
The temptation is getting worse...may have to go for at least two of these.
Old 07-13-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
The temptation is getting worse...may have to go for at least two of these.
Do it! Most of these sets are fantastic.
Old 07-13-11, 12:59 PM
pgm

Does anyone know when the sale is to end? Thanks for the info.
Old 07-13-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The one thing I've always hated about B&N is there slow shipping & oos problems. I got an email that Solaris shipped by itself so I suspect they're oos of Carnival. I paid by Pay Pal (my stupidity) so I'm out the $'s until it comes back in stock.
Old 07-13-11, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by bdots48
Using the 10% AAA discount:
[...]
I'm not a typical B&N customer, but a AAA member. The AAA discount appears to be just the 10% off code from the coupon thread. Is there any way to "double up"?
Old 07-13-11, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by pgm
Does anyone know when the sale is to end? Thanks for the info.
August 1
Old 07-13-11, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
I'm not a typical B&N customer, but a AAA member. The AAA discount appears to be just the 10% off code from the coupon thread. Is there any way to "double up"?
I tried to double up but it wouldn't take more than the 10%.
Old 07-13-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by thetao
Yes, as stated many times the AAA discount is now just a code and Lasermovies keeps it on the first page of the coupon thread. As for "doubling up", it depends on how you do it. I "double up" via Discover.
Old 07-13-11, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by illennium
Do it! Most of these sets are fantastic.
I am most interested in Varda and Cassavetes, so those are at the top of my list. I already own BRD and Rohmer. They are excellent indeed.

Note to kndy: I clicked on your "Cinema Shrine" picture. Holy cannoli, that is impressive!
Old 07-13-11, 05:44 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
The one thing I've always hated about B&N is there slow shipping & oos problems. I got an email that Solaris shipped by itself so I suspect they're oos of Carnival. I paid by Pay Pal (my stupidity) so I'm out the $'s until it comes back in stock.

Ah, so that (sort of) explains it: I got an email saying two of the four titles I ordered have been shipped - with no mention of the other two. I'm waiting for a reply to my query as to what's going on, but they've been oddly quiet.

Seems to me the least they could do is acknowledge that unshipped titles are (hopefully) temporarily unavailable, rather than leaving customers hanging.
Old 07-13-11, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by EarlB
Ah, so that (sort of) explains it: I got an email saying two of the four titles I ordered have been shipped - with no mention of the other two. I'm waiting for a reply to my query as to what's going on, but they've been oddly quiet.

Seems to me the least they could do is acknowledge that unshipped titles are (hopefully) temporarily unavailable, rather than leaving customers hanging.

You guys are too impatient. You'll get a shipment notice for the others shortly.
Old 07-13-11, 06:49 PM
pgm

Originally Posted by vichyfrance
August 1
Many thanks!
Old 07-13-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This time they actually sent me an email several hours later saying that the 2nd title had shipped. I'm curious if they shipped them separately (which would cause B&N a financial loss).
Old 07-13-11, 07:37 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by jwstl
You guys are too impatient. You'll get a shipment notice for the others shortly.
It's not a matter of patience. If there's a problem or situation with an order I place with any other online retailer, they always let me know right off the bat.

Simple courtesy to a customer - I was just wondering why B&N doesn't seem to extend it.
Old 07-13-11, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In the past, I have had several issues with B&N online being out of stock on titles that were shown as in stock at the time of ordering & not being open about the situation or about an accurate back in stock date.
Old 07-13-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Went back to my closest B&N today to pick up another title (M) and there had been some serious cleaning out of the CC blus since 24 hours prior when I was in there. Couldn't believe it. Half of the titles I was going to consider buying had been snagged.

edit- this was meant for the blu ray section thread.

Last edited by SethDLH; 07-13-11 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 08:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

bought:

The Makioka Sisters
The Great Dictator
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Smiles on A Summer Night
Old 07-13-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's not a matter of patience. If there's a problem or situation with an order I place with any other online retailer, they always let me know right off the bat.

Simple courtesy to a customer - I was just wondering why B&N doesn't seem to extend it.
They do. If they were out of stock they would let you know. And your order status on your account page will reflect it. It's common for them to ship one order in multiple packages with a Shipment email coming at one time and a second shipment notice hours later. I don't know why. It could be they ship from separate locations. I've spent hundreds of dollars with B&N this year and I've been notified via a "Delayed" email every instance where an item was out of stock. The one thing you do need to watch for is an email from them that says "Your Attention is Required XXXXXXX". The Xs are your order #. This means an item from your order is further delayed and you need to approve the additional time. Sadly, they only give you 24 hours to approve it or they cancel that item. If you miss the email you're screwed. They cancel the item and you have to call to straighten it out. That is a horrible business practice.
Old 07-13-11, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

They do. If they were out of stock they would let you know. And your order status on your account page will reflect it. It's common for them to ship one order in multiple packages with a Shipment email coming at one time and a second shipment notice hours later. I don't know why. It could be they ship from separate locations. I've spent hundreds of dollars with B&N this year and I've been notified via a "Delayed" email every instance where an item was out of stock. The one thing you do need to watch for is an email from them that says "Your Attention is Required XXXXXXX". The Xs are your order #. This means an item from your order is further delayed and you need to approve the additional time. Sadly, they only give you 24 hours to approve it or they cancel that item. If you miss the email you're screwed. They cancel the item and you have to call to straighten it out. That is a horrible business practice.

On their site, my original order (for 4 DVDs) has been changed: it now reflects only the two DVDs they've shipped. The revised price also reflects only those items. The order number hasn't changed - it's the same one I was given when I placed my original order, but there's no indication anywhere that I originally ordered beyond what they've already sent out.

If they're out of the discs I ordered, I would have appreciated them saying so.

I'll keep an eye peeled for a 'Delayed' notice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.