Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

CBS/Para & Sony TV Sets at Truck Stops

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

CBS/Para & Sony TV Sets at Truck Stops

Old 07-04-11, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: CBS/Para & Sony TV Sets at Truck Stops

They cater primarily to truckers and most truckers do have a dvd player in their truck and this enables them to pass long hours by when they have to stay somewhere. The law requires semi drivers to rest a certain amount of time before they drive again. Their companies require them to keep logs of the time they are on and off.
A trucker friend of mine told me about these dvd sets after he picked up a few for his own collection.

Originally Posted by berigan
Man, what a weird retailer to get these! Weird in that I wouldn't think a lot of folks shopping there would expect to find TVsets....
as for Cracker Barrel...sometimes they have some clearance DVDs that are only brought out for their once or twice a year sidewalk sale(that's what someone there told me) but they had a few boxes in back and were nice enough to bring them out for me. Only found 2 shows , but better than nothing. you do have to double check, since their spinning racks will have best of dvds mixed in with complete seasons...
Old 07-09-11, 03:05 PM
Zbu

Well, I spent an interesting few days.

There are two Pilot Travel Centers in Dexter, MI: both on Baker Road, each side of I-94. They have a fairly good selection but the holiday weekend has left them picked over. They seem to have plenty of the first two seasons of Cannon and the What's Happening Complete Series for $12.99 but not much else.

The two Pilot Travel Centers in Monroe (Exits 15 and 17) had some good stuff but that's long gone. The Exit 15 one has been completely looted and now has a variety of shitty movies. Exit 17 has some leftover Diagnosis Murders and perhaps the second season of Petticoat Junction, but that's it. Nearly all the locations I went to had a shit-ton of Good Times, Jeffersons, and What's Happening single seasons for $12.99. Also had a supply of Becker Season 1, some Dave's World sets, and so forth. There were even some Jake and the Fatman sets in there for flavor.

The Pilot Travel Center in Ottawa Lake, MI and Toledo, OH have little to nothing at all. Avoid.

That said, I got some good deals:

Petticoat Junction S2 (that's still around at a few locations)
Diagnosis Murder S1 and S3
Streets of San Francisco Seasons 1 and 2 both sets (those went FAST)
Police Woman S1
What's Happening S1
The Bill Cosby Show S1 (Shout Factory for $14.99)
Vega$ S1 both sets and S2 first set
War of the Worlds S1 and S2

All and all, a good deal.
Old 07-09-11, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zbu

There are two Pilot Travel Centers in Dexter, MI: both on Baker Road, each side of I-94. They have a fairly good selection but the holiday weekend has left them picked over. They seem to have plenty of the first two seasons of Cannon and the What's Happening Complete Series for $12.99 but not much else.

The two Pilot Travel Centers in Monroe (Exits 15 and 17) had some good stuff but that's long gone. The Exit 15 one has been completely looted and now has a variety of shitty movies. Exit 17 has some leftover Diagnosis Murders and perhaps the second season of Petticoat Junction, but that's it. Nearly all the locations I went to had a shit-ton of Good Times, Jeffersons, and What's Happening single seasons for $12.99. Also had a supply of Becker Season 1, some Dave's World sets, and so forth. There were even some Jake and the Fatman sets in there for flavor.

The Pilot Travel Center in Ottawa Lake, MI and Toledo, OH have little to nothing at all. Avoid.

Police Woman S1
What's Happening S1

Tnose are some nice deal you got there. Great finds as well.
Old 07-10-11, 09:12 AM

The vendor restocks towards the end of the week. I went to 2 Pilots near Lansing and they were entirely cleaned out of the hundred or so tv shows on dvd that I saw a few weeks ago. Either the vendor decided to go with all movies for the next few weeks or some resellers bought every last tv dvd set in both places. I sincerely doubt resellers were willing to shell out 13.00 plus tx each for 20 Jeffersons,a handful of Good Times,Evening Shade,Becker,Streets of SF,etc so they may reappear again later this month or into August but who really knows for sure.
I am still hoping to find Vegas 2.2 but that may have to wait a while now until they get around to phase 2.
They did have Battlestar Galactica 4.5 special Adama name tag pack for 20.99 and a few History Channel tv show sets like Ax Men s1,Whale Wars,Amazing Race s7 and Boomtown s1 but more money for less wanted titles (for me anyway ) was a disappointment.
Originally Posted by Zbu

Police Woman S1
What's Happening S1

Old 07-10-11, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Police Woman S1 is $5.99 @ Burlington Coat Factory
Old 07-10-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hasslein
Police Woman S1 is $5.99 @ Burlington Coat Factory
And add American Dreams S1 for $6.99 at BCF as well.
Old 07-10-11, 10:43 PM
Zbu

Burlington Coat Factory sells DVDs??
Old 07-11-11, 12:39 AM

I'm bettin' Burlington Coat Factory has a HUGE amount of shrinkage.

Not one of my regular stops.
Old 07-11-11, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Zbu
Wow, I sure didn't know that! Then again, til I found this forum, I didn't know that Ross Dress for Less, Marshalls or TJ Maxx had them either! Well, cool, there is one near the TJ Maxx that never has anything...
Old 07-11-11, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zbu
Very limited in selection but they do. By the little toy aisle and in front of the registers is where you'll find those.
Old 09-05-11, 04:21 PM
Zbu

Okay, got some updates (thanks to Ryan!).

Over the last few months all Pilot/Flying Js have gotten more CBS stuff in stock. On top of that, they're now offering a variety of other TV shows for $19.99 like Miami Vice, NUMB3RS, and NCIS. And I notice they still have some of their older stuff still in stock at all locations.
Old 09-06-11, 06:36 PM
Zbu

Okay, hit both of the Dexter, MI ones today. The northbound one has NUMB3RS, JAG, Flashpoint S1, and a few other ones. The southbound one has a ton of them: both Petticoat Junctions, A-Team S1 (in the thin case that comes from the Complete Series), all three seasons of Becker, Wings, That's My Mama, all three Mannix seasons, 30 Rock S1, Joan of Arcadia S1, and so forth and so on. Including a ton of Good Times and The Jeffersons. The only things I didn't see at these locations were Diagnosis Murder sets or Evening Shade.

They are definitely restocking. Check to see if you have a Pilot and/or Flying J around your area. You can get some stuff for a very good price.
Old 09-24-11, 03:56 PM

The original Bionic Woman season 1 and 2 are starting to show up in the 19.99 each sets.
Old 09-24-11, 04:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ryan458
The original Bionic Woman season 1 and 2 are starting to show up in the 19.99 each sets.
Those are both 14.99 at Target right now.
Old 09-25-11, 12:37 AM

Good to know. I did not spring for any of them.I would like to see the price come down to a more reasonable pricepoint. Thanks for the info though.
Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Those are both 14.99 at Target right now.
Old 09-26-11, 11:00 AM

Anybody in the Los Angeles area find any of the older CBS titles (like Petticoat Junction, Mannix, etc?) If anybody is interested in starting a trade thread, let me know and I'll create one.
Old 09-29-11, 11:05 PM

I went to the 2 in Hebron,Indiana on I65. The one on the north side of the road had no tv shows but the one on the south side has a very good selection of titles already listed in this thread. Remington,Indiana also has a smattering of the titles....for anyone interested.
Also..I see that the latest Edward R Hamilton catalog offers Mannix s1 for 14.99
Old 09-30-11, 12:59 AM
Zbu

Originally Posted by mr Articulate
Anybody in the Los Angeles area find any of the older CBS titles (like Petticoat Junction, Mannix, etc?) If anybody is interested in starting a trade thread, let me know and I'll create one.
I'm game. I'd love to get Vegas S2 Set 2 and Diagnosis Murder S2.
Old 09-30-11, 11:13 PM

Neither one was available at all the Flying js I have been to so far. Sorry
Originally Posted by Zbu
I'm game. I'd love to get Vegas S2 Set 2 and Diagnosis Murder S2.
Old 10-01-11, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still looking for Love Boat, both seasons.
Old 10-01-11, 08:08 PM

I did see both volumes of season one at Flying J back in May when the first wave of these hit but I have not seen any since.
Originally Posted by rmw650
I'm still looking for Love Boat, both seasons.