DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Blockbuster DVD sale - 5 for $20 / 3 for $20

Old 05-30-11, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Blockbuster DVD sale - 5 for $20 / 3 for $20

Bought some more .99 at the Petaluma, CA store off Lakeville. All stuff for my girlfriend said she wanted or had interest in seeing

-Pandorum
-(500) Days of Summer
-A Serious Man
Old 05-30-11, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for this note. A SoCal store near me was running a clearance sale on selected PV Bluray Discs as well for $0.99 a piece...some of the titles were those that I had picked up earlier as part of the 5 for $20 sale - felt a trite bummed. These titles didn't have pricing stickers on them - apparently they were excess inventory or something of that kind. Picked up the following for a total of $9.69:

Grey's Anatomy - Season 4 discs 1 and 2
The Messenger
The Merry Gentleman
Triage
The Greatest
Twilight - the New Moon
The Ghost Writer
Give 'em Hell Malone

Not the best of titles - there were many more but I have had my fill of great titles as part of the main course - these were just dessert bites :-)
Old 05-31-11, 09:07 AM
Cool New Member

Made out with some good $0.99 deals

Rome: Season One (Complete)
Adam
Taking Woodstock
Year One
The Wicker Man
Son of Rambow
Burn After Reading
A Serious Man
Tetro
Talk to Her

Also grabbed a few Blu-Rays (those were pretty picked over by the time I got in, though).
Old 05-31-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They still have the $0.99 DVD bin at my local store. It looked barely touched since I was in there yesterday. The "Memorial Day Sale - TODAY ONLY!" sign had been changed to "TODAY ONLY! 5/31" Stupid manager with his deceptive signs...
Old 05-31-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b View Post
They still have the $0.99 DVD bin at my local store. It looked barely touched since I was in there yesterday. The "Memorial Day Sale - TODAY ONLY!" sign had been changed to "TODAY ONLY! 5/31" Stupid manager with his deceptive signs...
why blame the Manager ? He's only doing what Blockbuster is telling him to do :-(....they do that, so that people feel a desperation the first time around and grab as many. Just a business tactic. Its no better than Macy's One Day sale that happens EVERY Wednesday
Old 05-31-11, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up a nice selection of foreign films and both discs from season one of Hung for .99 each. Not a bad day.
Old 05-31-11, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw this at 2 of the 3 stores I went to yesterday.

laidbacklarkin is probably right
Old 05-31-11, 09:04 PM

I just called BBV and asked them how long the sale will last.. they told me they didn't know.
Old 05-31-11, 10:38 PM

Is this .99 cent sale still on?
Old 06-01-11, 07:14 PM

it's on until the .99 cent movies are gone.. that's what I heard tonight.

It was REAL slim pickens, though.. There is a reason most of these are .99 cents!

They had over 200+ titles on sale. I could barely find 5 worth getting...
Old 06-01-11, 08:20 PM

i went to one here in ny the 99 cent movies they had on blu ray are

angels and demons..bruno...dance flick...armord...the final destination...death and a funeral a few others not really great
Old 06-02-11, 05:26 AM

I kinda agree but I initially picked 12 or 13 and narrowed that down to nine.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I could barely find 5 worth getting...
Old 06-03-11, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin View Post
why blame the Manager ? He's only doing what Blockbuster is telling him to do :-(
Not necessarily. This was the same manager who told me the 5 for $20 deal was ONLY for Facebook members who came in before May 17th. I was told the deal was now 5 for $25 and included "free candy and soda". People speculated the manager was just trying to pad his refreshment sales by tacking candy onto the deal. I was never given the option of decling the $5 worth of snacks.

His sign was promptly taken down the next week and replaced with the correct 5 for $20 deal. This was after I contacted corporate about this store not participating in a valid advertised promotion. Hence, my comments on his signs (and info) being decepitve. I just don't appreciate someone knowingly feeding me a line of BS -- whether it's mandated by the company or not.
Old 06-03-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not necessarily. This was the same manager who told me the 5 for $20 deal was ONLY for Facebook members who came in before May 17th. I was told the deal was now 5 for $25 and included "free candy and soda". People speculated the manager was just trying to pad his refreshment sales by tacking candy onto the deal. I was never given the option of decling the $5 worth of snacks.

His sign was promptly taken down the next week and replaced with the correct 5 for $20 deal. This was after I contacted corporate about this store not participating in a valid advertised promotion. Hence, my comments on his signs (and info) being decepitve. I just don't appreciate someone knowingly feeding me a line of BS -- whether it's mandated by the company or not.
There's one particular store in a high traffic area I sometimes visit and they often have different pricing during clearance sales. More than once I went there during what was a 5 for $20 sale at other stores only to find their only deal was 5 for $25 with the snacks. That didn't happen this time because it was advertised on Facebook as a national promotion.
Old 06-07-11, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I stumbled into a Blockbuster today that still had two bins full of 99 cents titles. I picked up the first season of Hung for $2.10 out the door. I do have a story though.

There were five copies (10 discs) of Hung spread out amongst the two bins. I picked them all up and took them to the register and asked the guy if I could check the discs and pick out the ones that were in the best shape. Note that there wasn't anyone else in the store, just me and the employee. This is how the conversation went:

Me: This is going to sound crazy but could you open these for me and let me check the discs and decide between the two best looking ones?
Employee: Well, I could but you know we have a pre-played guarantee right? (He goes on to explain to me the guarantee.)
Me: But what if I come back to exchange one of the discs and you guys are all out?
Employee: *laughs* That won't happen because these have been here since the sale started.
Me: *trying to be polite* I guess you're right. I may just be too anal for my own good.
Employee: *sarcastically* Yes, you really are.

Then he rang me up and I left. I don't know why it made me so mad. I guess because it would have taken him all of two seconds to let me check the discs. The sarcastic tone and the snide remark didn't help any either. It's not like there were any other customers in the store that he had to attend to. When I walked in, he was standing there doing nothing, watching the movie previews that they show on the two televisions in the store.

Ugh...I fucking hate Blockbuster.

Last edited by PopcornBandit; 06-07-11 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornBandit View Post
I stumbled into a Blockbuster today that still had two bins full of 99 cents titles. I picked up the first season of Hung for $2.10 out the door. I do have a story though.

There were five copies (10 discs) of Hung spread out amongst the two bins. I picked them all up and took them to the register and asked the guy if I could check the discs and pick out the ones that were in the best shape. Note that there wasn't anyone else in the store, just me and the employee. This is how the conversation went:

Me: This is going to sound crazy but could you open these for me and let me check the discs and decide between the two best looking ones?
Employee: Well, I could but you know we have a pre-played guarantee right? (He goes on to explain to me the guarantee.)
Me: But what if I come back to exchange one of the discs and you guys are all out?
Employee: *laughs* That won't happen because these have been here since the sale started.
Me: *trying to be polite* I guess you're right. I may just be too anal for my own good.
Employee: *sarcastically* Yes, you really are.

Then he rang me up and I left. I don't know why it made me so mad. I guess because it would have taken him all of two seconds to let me check the discs. The sarcastic tone and the snide remark didn't help any either. It's not like there were any other customers in the store that he had to attend to. When I walked in, he was standing there doing nothing, watching the movie previews that they show on the two televisions in the store.

Tomorrow, when you wake up, you won't be angry anymore, but that guy will still be working at Blockbuster.

Wait, we're talking about Blockbuster. Never mind. He may be out of a job by then.
Old 06-07-11, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's no need to disparage the entire company because of the laziness of one employee.
Old 06-08-11, 12:43 AM

99 cents each

picked up

Meet the Spartans
Pandorum
the Informant
State of Play
Invention of Lying
Observe and Report
In the Loop
the Golden Boys
Tenure
Sorority Row
Old 06-08-11, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl View Post
There's no need to disparage the entire company because of the laziness of one employee.
True, but Blockbuster in general has been terrible for the past few years.
Old 06-08-11, 07:34 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Must be nice to still have a Blockbuster store open near you, ours closed several years ago and a Search for stores near my zip code returns 0 results.

Damn it... -kd5-
Old 06-08-11, 09:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
Must be nice to still have a Blockbuster store open near you, ours closed several years ago and a Search for stores near my zip code returns 0 results.

Damn it... -kd5-
I know how you feel kd5.. all the stores remotely close to my location have closed years ago. Now the closest is an hour and a half away. Just did another store search and found one to be slightly further-in the opposite direction, but seeing how this sale was supposed to end 6/6 (or sooner at the store I did go to) I'm not gonna try to find this other store.

This is unofficial but the associate/manager I talked to Monday said the current sale was so successful that they're thinking about running it again for the 4th of July. I'm not sure how true this statement is considering all the signs said the sale was good through 6/6 and they stopped it 6/5 [or so I think]
Old 06-09-11, 04:15 PM
Cool New Member

I Went Last Night And They Where Still Doing The Sale Until Monday 6/13

Picked Up For 5 For $20:
Crazy Heart,
Lifeboat (1944),
Piranha (1978),
Play It Again, Sam (1972),
& Where The Wild Things Are.

And For .99 Cents I Picked Up:
Amelia,
& A Single Man
Old 06-09-11, 04:57 PM

True, but Blockbuster in general has been terrible for the past few years.
You can say the same for countless other retail stores around the United States.

And yes...you were being overly anal
Old 06-09-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conebone69 View Post
You can say the same for countless other retail stores around the United States.

And yes...you were being overly anal

Overly anal because I like for my DVD's to be in excellent condition?
Old 08-21-11, 10:46 PM

Don't know how many people still have a Blockbuster by them, but they are currently running the 3/$20 and 5/$20 sale again. At the store by me, the majority of the films were $9.99, and the $14.99 selection was virtually non-existent. Quite a few new films in the $9.99 section, including 127 Hours, Despicable Me, Salt, Inception. I picked up The Tillman Story, Catfish, Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Easy A, and Dinner For Schmucks.
I also noticed that they had quite a few of their brand new DVDs marked down. The two-disc Star Trek 2009 was $5.99, as was Killers, Going the Distance, Dinner For Schmucks (I should've bought it new). For $7.99 they had the two-disc Eclipse as well as the two-disc New Moon, also The Expendables, Salt Deluxe Edition, The Other Guys, Inception, and a bunch of others. The two-disc Speed Racer was $4.99. It's worth checking out, as there was a lot of titles.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.