DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Collection- $43.99 @ Amazon

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 03:57 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Collection- $43.99 @ Amazon

Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Collection- $43.99

I've been waiting for this set to go down in price. I've enjoyed the few episodes I saw at a friends house.

Product Description
All 26 episodes of the acclaimed action-adventure series
This acclaimed British series adds a bit of sorcery and mysticism to the swordplay and social justice that make the Robin Hood legend so enduring. Heading up the superb ensemble cast are Michael Praed (Dynasty) as Robin of Loxley, Ray Winstone (Beowulf) as seething-mad Scarlet, and Nickolas Grace (Brideshead Revisited) as the greedy, conniving Sheriff of Nottingham. In the final 13 episodes, Robert of Huntingdon (Jason Connery, Shanghai Noon) assumes Robin’s mantle. Shot entirely on location in England, the series also features an award-winning score by the Irish band Clannad.
Old 05-11-11, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Re: Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Collection- $43.99 @ Amazon

It's 34.95 at Hamiltonbook com. $3.50 shipping.

Heard it was a good series and brought one home....still haven't cracked the wrap!
Old 05-11-11, 04:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Robin of Sherwood: The Complete Collection- $43.99 @ Amazon

Yes, it's an excellent series. I first watched it on PBS over 20 years ago. Sometimes the limited TV budget shows through, by way of the fight choreography or the very few special effects...but hey, this is a TV show from the mid-80's. The writing and acting are quite good (characters are generally 1-dimensional, but what do you want?), the soundtrack is excellent, and unlike most every other Robin Hood production I've seen, they managed to make it look grubby and un-Hollywood. The Brits are better at that, I think, but filming nearly everything (?) on location didn't hurt. I will venture to say that some of the storylines feel so right, they border on...classic literature. ("The King's Fool" comes to mind, minus the ending.)

I still have my VHS tapes, but the Hamilton Books price makes me want to jump at this set. My only hesitations are first figuring out the differences between the UK 9-disk version, the UK 8-disk version, and the contents of the new UK and US 5-disk Blu-ray releases, from this 10-disk version. And then understanding if these came from the same or different masters, per the video quality issues mentioned on Amazon. Can anyone help?