DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Ultimate Electronics Store-wide closing (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/587318-ultimate-electronics-store-wide-closing.html)

ShallowDepths 02-09-11 01:40 PM

Ultimate Electronics Store-wide closing

Just found out that Ultimate Electronics is going out of business.

Searched and found a previous thread here but couldnt post a link to it.

Just wanted to keep the right crowd informed.

This is sad news as we just got our Ultimate here in Milwaukee, WI a few months back and it was great to have an alternative to BB right across the street with often-fantastic sales. I was wondering why they didn't get any new releases in this past week... and why their advertisements have been... very sparse.

Liquidation is set to start Saturday Feb 12th for all 46 stores across the nation.

Also cannot post link to stores bankruptcy/closing announcement, but it's out there.

Dexter Douglas 02-09-11 02:00 PM

Re: Ultimate Electronics Store-wide closing

The current discussion on the topic is here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/store-forum...ry-2011-a.html

I hadn't heard the date of the 12th yet, so thanks for the info!

ShallowDepths 02-09-11 02:06 PM

Hopefully we can still use this thread to post about the deals and prices we find at the stores in upcoming weeks. Final Date for store liquidation is in early April. Deals might be slim for the initial first weeks.

Thanks for linking to the original discussion!

kenbenobi 02-09-11 03:54 PM

I also loved the new Greenfield, WI store and am very sad to see it close. On release day, I got the Alien Anthology, BTTF Trilogy, and Clone Wars S2 BD sets all for 50% off their sale prices. None of those prices have been beat anywhere yet. Their regular prices kinda blew, but their sale prices were pretty decent. I loved having some competition for Best Buy (which is located directly across the street) but I knew that was pretty dumb to go face to face like that. They should have picked an area not close to BB.

ShallowDepths 02-10-11 06:15 PM

For those curious - DVD's and BLU are 20% off this week. Not huge savings, but there were some decent deals. Video games are only 10% off.

beebs 02-10-11 07:03 PM

They just opened the second Portland, Oregon area store. And when I say "just" I mean like 2-3 weeks ago. Wow. Open and now closed. Crazy.

kenbenobi 02-10-11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 10633384)
They just opened the second Portland, Oregon area store. And when I say "just" I mean like 2-3 weeks ago. Wow. Open and now closed. Crazy.

Did they give out those B1G1F grand opening coupons? It's kinda funny that their grand opening sale is cheaper than the "going out of business" sale... I won't buy anything at 20% off. I'm not even going to go look...

Captsmee.00 02-10-11 10:04 PM

Another electronics store has come and gone to Syracuse...It just opened before Thanksgiving!

Falc04 02-16-11 11:42 AM

Stopped by the one in Albany today, but no deals to be found yet. DVDs and Blus are 20% off, but seeing as the discs are full price, it really is nothing.

kenbenobi 02-16-11 12:43 PM

I feel sorry for the employees. I hope none of them quit other jobs to move over to UE.

JAYARE 03-29-11 10:06 PM

went by 2 UE today and they now have 50% off blus and 40% off dvds and if you buy 5 dvds they are 50% off.
scored a bunch of shit at killer prices

mattysemo247 03-29-11 10:12 PM

Our location had 70% of Blus this past weekend. I think their last day is this Friday so I'm going to stop one last time.

mike07 03-30-11 10:11 AM

The Albany,NY store had signs up for 30-50% off everything. Also a paper hung on the door saying all DVDs (no mention whether Blu-ray were included) 50% off when you buy 5!

JAYARE 03-30-11 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by mattysemo247 (Post 10701342)
Our location had 70% of Blus this past weekend. I think their last day is this Friday so I'm going to stop one last time.

nice, but probably just shit titles left.

Falc04 03-30-11 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10701823)
The Albany,NY store had signs up for 30-50% off everything. Also a paper hung on the door saying all DVDs (no mention whether Blu-ray were included) 50% off when you buy 5!

Thanks for the heads-up. I stopped by the Albany store today, and for $56 picked up:

High School Musical Redux (blu)
High School Musical 3 - extended edition (blu)
The Truman Show (blu)
The Green Berets (blu)
Gunsmoke Season 4 - vol.2

I believe I heard someone say that there were only 4 days left for their doors to be open.

Manzana 04-02-11 11:38 AM

I finally went to my UE which never carried BDs when they were not going out of business and they had 2 full tables of them @ 60% off. There were a lot of titles I would consider upgrading to BD or buying, but only for $5 or less. Since the sticker price on most of them was $20+, they were still at least $8 each with a few exception of ones I already had from HW Video's closings (like Swing Vote would've been $4). I saw Love Boat S1 V1 DVD but it would've been about $7.

They said they have at least 5 days left but less than 10 days. So I'll call in 4 days to see where they're at. Basically, I'll buy some BDs if they hit 80% off. They only had about 30 copies of Monster House 3D @ $35, so I'd be confident those won't be gone any time soon, yet even at 80% off that would be $7. I want my new BDs for $5 or less. :-)

There was nothing else I wanted to buy (or knew what it was) in the store. They had a nice $50 end table, but I didn't need one.

Have other people's UEs hit 80% off BDs in their final day(s), or are they all in sync and none of them have actually closed yet?

Rexxriot 04-02-11 02:23 PM

The one in Danvers, MA, closed a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if they tried to get the newer stores closed quickly.

mattysemo247 04-02-11 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by JAYARE (Post 10701959)
nice, but probably just shit titles left.

Well I missed their last day, but when I was there they still had some pretty decent titles left at 70% off. All three POTC movies, Iron Man, Cloudy 3D, some Twlight movies, and I picked up the last copy of Robin Hood (2010).

Manzana 04-03-11 01:44 PM

Is 70% off the best discount any closing UE store has reached so far?

kenbenobi 04-03-11 10:58 PM

My store is still at 60% off on BD's, and 50% off on DVD's. They have 7 days left (closing 4/10). My Borders closed today. They got to 90% off, but I think the BD's/DVD's sold out at 80% off (I bought some on Friday). I was spoiled by that, so I hope UE gets to 80% off as well. I know Circuit City did! My store doesn't have a lot of BD's left though. On Friday they did, but I went back today and the selection dropped to 1/3 of what they had.

Lastdaysofrain 04-04-11 08:14 AM

went to the Salem, NH store and picked up a ton of good blu rays for about an average of $7 each, picked up:
- Joan Rivers Doc
- Angel Heart
- Sex Drive
- Say Anything
- Venture Bros S3
- Le Femme Nikita
- Coco before Chanel
- Amnityville Horror (original)
- To Live and Die in LA
- My Bloody Valentine (original)

and a few other things I can't think of off the top of my head, blu rays were 60% off and it didn't seem like they had jacked up the prices to full retail, they still seemed to have a decent amount of stuff

Tardo317 04-04-11 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10707055)
The one in Danvers, MA, closed a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if they tried to get the newer stores closed quickly.

I ran over to the Danvers Store on Saturday only to find it closed! Looks like you posted that information the same day. :lol:

Tardo317 04-04-11 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lastdaysofrain (Post 10709185)
went to the Salem, NH store and picked up a ton of good blu rays for about an average of $7 each. Blu rays were 60%off and it didn't seem like they had jacked up the prices to full retail, they still seemed to have a decent amount of stuff

I was there last week and was impressed at the selection that they still had. Didn't pick up any blu ray but did get SD versions of:

Parks & Recreation Season 2 for $15.00
The Middle Season 1 for $16.00

Manzana 04-05-11 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10708844)
My store is still at 60% off on BD's, and 50% off on DVD's. They have 7 days left (closing 4/10). My Borders closed today. They got to 90% off, but I think the BD's/DVD's sold out at 80% off (I bought some on Friday). I was spoiled by that, so I hope UE gets to 80% off as well. I know Circuit City did! My store doesn't have a lot of BD's left though. On Friday they did, but I went back today and the selection dropped to 1/3 of what they had.

I totally missed my Borders store closing, but unless they shipped in a bunch of BDs to get rid of, my Borders never had more than 50 BD titles to begin with (and mostly new releases) so I doubt I missed much. However, my UE shipped in a bunch of BDs... enough to fill 2 6' long tables as of last week.

I went to UE tonight as they weren't answering their phones and I wanted to see if they had closed early. They said they are closing on Thursday. The BDs went from 60% to 70% over the weekend and there was only half a table of them left (so 3/4th's gone). I was surprised to see how many sold with just another 10% off, so I guess 70% is the magic price point for most people. For me it's 80%. I bought a handful of BDs at 70% off averaging $5 each (mostly DVD to BD upgrades).

Manzana 04-07-11 09:24 AM

I'm surprised there's so little discussion of UE's final days. There are some decent BD deals to be had there. They were 70% off on Tuesday and 80% off on Wednesday. As before, mine refuses to answer their phones no matter when you call. I didn't even see a phone so I think they totally removed them, but would it really hurt them to tell you the current discount on BDs if you called?

Today is their last day and I asked if they'd go to 90% off. The guy said (as usual) he didn't know but they need to get rid of everything, so I'm assuming the remaining 100 or so BDs will probably be $1-$2 each at the end. The only problem is I'll probably be at work at that time, so I bought the remaining handful that I wanted at 80% (but not 70%) and figure that'll probably be it. Work may provide the money to buy things, but it also prevents me from going to stores when I want to so I can buy what I want at good prices and prevents me from having time to use what I buy.

Has anyone been at a UE on their last day/hours to see what percentage the final BDs were sold at? They had about 5 copies of Monster House 3D and Cyrus, so those will probably still be there at 90% off.