DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Amazon - TV on DVD sale (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/584172-amazon-tv-dvd-sale.html)

dex14 01-04-11 11:34 AM

Amazon - TV on DVD sale

Some decent prices... The Tick, Action, Party of Five

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000648881

DeepSleep 01-04-11 01:31 PM

Re: Amazon - TV on DVD sale

Picked up The Flying Nun S1 & S2 @ $8.49 each. (Makes a perfect birthday gift for my aunt.)

Thanks OP!

30smovies 01-04-11 02:02 PM

Among the shows at $8.49 a season -
ALL IN THE FAMILY
HART TO HART
HAZEL
MAUDE
PARTRIDGE FAMILY
QUARK
RIPTIDE
THE ROOKIES
TABITHA

blackmage214 01-04-11 03:00 PM

Got The Tick for 8.49.
Married with Children had some good prices but already have the complete set

dex14 01-04-11 05:02 PM

Also...Deep Discount just sent me an email with BOGO on most of these. Averaging about the same price. BUT they do have some more titles... My Boys being one

laserdogg 01-04-11 05:51 PM

Thanks!

Picked up:

The Critic - The Complete Series
Police Woman - The Complete First Season
The Flying Nun - The Complete First Season
Hazel - The Complete First Season
Maude - The Complete First Season
The Rookies - The Complete First Season

kenbenobi 01-04-11 05:57 PM

Tempting... I might get a few from Amazon. I'd rather pay slightly more to get it from them, since I'll get it a helluva lot faster with Prime, than DD's slow as hell shipping...

kenbenobi 01-04-11 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by laserdogg (Post 10573674)
Thanks!
Picked up:

The Critic - The Complete Series

:up:

Torchur317 01-04-11 06:05 PM

Picked up The Unusuals....

seans515 01-04-11 10:59 PM

In for "Soap: The Complete Series" $20.99

(Thats about $5.25 a season)

Lastdaysofrain 01-05-11 07:26 AM

I picked up the Bewitched seasons I was missing as its the cheapest I've seen them, and grabbed Soap The Complete Series. I would have bought more but I already owned a lot of this stuff, some great prices.

Manzana 01-05-11 09:48 AM

Does anyone have the complete list of TV shows/seasons being sold and the prices in a nice text format I can save? Too bad I don't have a tool and know-how to extract just the titles and prices. This is the format I'd typically put stuff in my price list:
Bewitched S1-S7 - $15.49 ea. Amazon (Jan 11)

While there appear to be some nice deals here, I'm so overloaded with so much other unwatched stuff I'll probably pass. I can't afford to buy everything I've ever seen (and didn't dislike) just because it's cheap.

Silverscreenvid 01-05-11 10:25 AM

It's not listed as part of the official sale, but Amazon now has Boris Karloff's Thriller series on sale for $59.99. It was selling for near $100 most places at Christmas. Amazon had it as a gold box deal in the mid $50s a couple of months ago (when I picked it up), but this is the only other time I've seen in under $75 anywhere.

mr Articulate 01-05-11 10:46 AM

These are good prices - I bought several of these last year at the Deep Discount sale and thought I got a good price then! These are cheaper than the Big Lots sets.

Last year I paid $11.98 for Starsky & Hutch, $20.98 for Critic, $11.98 for Hazel, 10.98 for Rookies, $10.98 Barney Miller, $63.98 Norman Lear.

Is it my imagination, or have some titles increased since the sale started? "Bewitched" and "Critic" are now both $15.99, weren't they cheaper yesterday?

kenbenobi 01-05-11 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate (Post 10574594)
Is it my imagination, or have some titles increased since the sale started? "Bewitched" and "Critic" are now both $15.99, weren't they cheaper yesterday?

The Critic was 13.99, I believe...

joe_b 01-05-11 11:43 AM

Is Soap a good blind buy? I love Katherine Helmond and $5.25 a season with the series set seems like a safe bet.

standbyme 01-05-11 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 10574690)
Is Soap a good blind buy? I love Katherine Helmond and $5.25 a season with the series set seems like a safe bet.

I still like it a lot...but keep in mind it probably seems a bit dated now...but the actors are so talented they make up for that "problem". Also, it starts out a little slow so don't give up if you don't like it right away.

joe_b 01-05-11 01:08 PM

^ Thanks for the input, I'll check it out.

Also picked up The Fly Nun S2, as someone gave me season one as a gift last year. It was probably a re-gift, as this was a really random item to be given - but I actually thought it was a cute show.

boc4ever 01-05-11 02:00 PM

Great series, actors, and writing. I'd highly recommend it.

Shawerma 01-05-11 02:56 PM

i got till death season 2 also got enter the dragon blu ray and romeo must die dvd to make it $25 for free shipping :)

rmw650 01-05-11 03:21 PM

Got the whole Partridge Family Series for under 33 bucks so I'm cool with that.

dvdjunkie32 01-05-11 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate (Post 10574594)
These are good prices - I bought several of these last year at the Deep Discount sale and thought I got a good price then! These are cheaper than the Big Lots sets.

Last year I paid $11.98 for Starsky & Hutch, $20.98 for Critic, $11.98 for Hazel, 10.98 for Rookies, $10.98 Barney Miller, $63.98 Norman Lear.

Lol, a lot of these same sets are part of Dead Discount's current B1G1F sale, and they are wanting like 30 bucks for these seasons. Pathetic Deep Discount. Amazon has you beat big time here.

smurr05 01-05-11 04:25 PM

Great price on the All in the Family sets. I paid about $10.00 each a while back from DD.

smurr05 01-05-11 04:29 PM

I agree with the other comments made about this series! Excellent buy and well worth it!:)

kd5 01-05-11 04:36 PM

Still waiting for NCIS to get down to $14.99 (or less) a season...:gah: -kd5-

blackmage214 01-05-11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by kenbenobi (Post 10574626)
The Critic was 13.99, I believe...

I got mine for 11.49 around BF. Cheapest I've ever seen new from amazon

Silverscreenvid 01-05-11 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 (Post 10575101)
Lol, a lot of these same sets are part of Dead Discount's current B1G1F sale, and they are wanting like 30 bucks for these seasons. Pathetic Deep Discount. Amazon has you beat big time here.

As usual around here, people have more fun bashing DD than actually checking out their prices and saving money with them.

Hart to Hart, Hazel, Starsky and Hutch 2 for $16.23 at DD; $8.49 each at Amazon.

Sanford and Son 2 for $16.23 at DD; $12.99-13.99 each at Amazon.

Seinfeld 2 for $28.35 at DD, $24.99 each at Amazon.

The Jeffersons 2 for $16.23 at DD, $14.99 and up at Amazon.

I Dream of Jeannie, News Radio 2 for $22.33 at DD, $11.49 each at Amazon

Mad about You 2 for $16.23 at DD, $11.49 and up at Amazon

To be fair, some of the prices Amazon has on sale right now are better than DD's sales price but most are not. As always, people should be comparison shopping and getting the best price. Instead, they're having too much fun spending more money and making fun of DD.

I've ordered as much from DD as anyone and everything I've ordered has always arrived in a decent amount of time and in good shape. I have a number of friends and family members who have ordered from DD and they've never had a problem. The only item I've had a problem with in the last couple of years was one hard-to-find item from Amazon that took nearly three months to ship, but I didn't have a fit about it.

There's not a whole lot in this sale I'm interested in from either place that I don't already have, but I'd place an order with DD in an instant if and when they have a deal on things I want.

bse 01-05-11 11:19 PM

I'd much rather spend more at Amazon then get fucked by DD for the 12th time.

cie37 01-06-11 12:25 AM

Magnum PI S7 is $10. I am not sure if anyone noticed this but I thought I'd share.

jwstl 01-06-11 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid (Post 10575706)
As usual around here, people have more fun bashing DD than actually checking out their prices and saving money with them.

Hart to Hart, Hazel, Starsky and Hutch 2 for $16.23 at DD; $8.49 each at Amazon.

Sanford and Son 2 for $16.23 at DD; $12.99-13.99 each at Amazon.

Seinfeld 2 for $28.35 at DD, $24.99 each at Amazon.

The Jeffersons 2 for $16.23 at DD, $14.99 and up at Amazon.

I Dream of Jeannie, News Radio 2 for $22.33 at DD, $11.49 each at Amazo

Mad about You 2 for $16.23 at DD, $11.49 and up at Amazon

To be fair, some of the prices Amazon has on sale right now are better than DD's sales price but most are not. As always, people should be comparison shopping and getting the best price. Instead, they're having too much fun spending more money and making fun of DD.

I've ordered as much from DD as anyone and everything I've ordered has always arrived in a decent amount of time and in good shape. I have a number of friends and family members who have ordered from DD and they've never had a problem. The only item I've had a problem with in the last couple of years was one hard-to-find item from Amazon that took nearly three months to ship, but I didn't have a fit about it.

There's not a whole lot in this sale I'm interested in from either place that I don't already have, but I'd place an order with DD in an instant if and when they have a deal on things I want.

Thanks. Great post. I'm going to start buying from DD again starting tomorrow. Your positives experiences are much more valuable than my own negative experiences. I feel foolish. How dare I pay a bit more for good service. And I now know these dozens and dozens of complaints about DD are just "bashing" and are completely without merit. I'm glad there are people like you to tell me where to shop.

bsmith 01-06-11 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10575782)
Thanks. Great post. I'm going to start buying from DD again starting tomorrow. Your positives experiences are much more valuable than my own negative experiences. I feel foolish. How dare I pay a bit more for good service. And I now know these dozens and dozens of complaints about DD are just "bashing" and are completely without merit. I'm glad there are people like you to tell me where to shop.

You have to admit though that the quote from "dvdjunkie32" that was referenced was not a fair representation of how the two sales compare.

I really think part of the reason some people come to DD's defense is due to the fact they get more overly generalized and sometimes just inaccurate bashing then any other vendor. DD has had their issues and it is understandable that some may not want to use them any more as a result, but some of the statements bashing them are a bit too extreme.

Al_Tahoe 01-06-11 01:16 AM

:clap:

kstublen 01-06-11 01:38 AM

I don't want to spend more money, but I think I'm going to have to get Bewitched at that price. I never see them go on sale.

Manzana 01-06-11 09:31 AM

I'm not sure if you said that with tongue in cheek, but in case you didn't... up until this last week I had defied the odds and hadn't had any trouble with DD, but it finally happened... they screwed me on a B1G1F order shipping the full priced 1 and canceling the free one. There's no way I would've bought the other 1 at full price. So people may be lucky and get a good deal with DD, but if they choose to ignore all the negative posts about DD (they are there for a reason... it's not a conspiracy against a poor, innocent company people decided to pick on) then it's like playing Russian roulette: you may come out unscathed many times you pull the trigger and buy at DD, but eventually you will reach the loaded chamber and get hurt.

I swore off any more orders from DD where there are freebies involved. DD is all but impossible to get ahold of by phone and unresponsive by email. I'm going to refuse shipment on my full priced canceled order and hope that I get credit because I can't get ahold of DD. Otherwise, I'll have to get my credit card company involved, and if that happens DD will be out of the picture completely for me... not just on B1G1F orders.

stingermck 01-06-11 09:50 AM

Good prices for Bewitched, though I wish Sony would just release a complete like Jeannie.

That'sAllFolks 01-06-11 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 10576147)
Good prices for Bewitched, though I wish Sony would just release a complete like Jeannie.

Wal-Mart has two packs of Bewtiched for 19.96 S1/2 (colorized) S3/S4 and S5 was 9.99 at Target. So only the later seasons are a decent deal.

drmar35mm 01-06-11 10:32 AM

A pretty decent sale from Amazon. I may be in for some choice 80s detective stuff. Re. DD, I've never had any issues with them. The odd back order is all. But the changes in their operation, and the many complaints here in the past few months, gives one pause. My primary beef is how they keep throwing up "Deals" that are anything but. The current BOGO isn't bad, but now you've gotta wonder: Will I actually get the items?

mr Articulate 01-06-11 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10576207)
Wal-Mart has two packs of Bewtiched for 19.96 S1/2 (colorized) S3/S4 and S5 was 9.99 at Target. So only the later seasons are a decent deal.

$15.49 is pretty good price, but Costco had all the seasons for $12.99 about a year ago, so a lower price is possible. But that $8.49 for many other sets is incredible.

BTW - Has anyone gotten a shipping notice yet? (I have not).

marald 01-06-11 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by mr Articulate (Post 10576235)
$15.49 is pretty good price, but Costco had all the seasons for $12.99 about a year ago, so a lower price is possible. But that $8.49 for many other sets is incredible.

BTW - Has anyone gotten a shipping notice yet? (I have not).

I ordered Soap: The Complete Series yesterday. Got the shipping notice last night and expect it today.

marald 01-06-11 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10576207)

Has Bewitched S3/S4 been spotted recently at Target? I was going to get them at Amazon but if Target still has them I would get them there.