Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection- $93.99 Amazon DOTD 1/1/11

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection- $93.99 Amazon DOTD 1/1/11

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-11, 02:14 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection -$93.99 (yesterday's price $146.99)

Product Description
For the first time ever, find all 156 complete episodes of Rod Serling's groundbreaking series in one box set, packed with exciting extras! Travel to another dimension of sight and sound again and again through these stellar remastered high-definition film transfers. Extras include the fascinating Serling bio-documentary Submitted for Your Approval, compelling interviews with the show's writers, the series' unaired pilot, audio commentaries with Martin Landau, Leonard Nimoy, Cliff Robertson and much, much more!

Special Features
•Excerpts from Rod Serlings’s Audio Lectures at Sherwood Oaks Experimental College.
•Audio Commentaries by Martin Landau, Don Rickles, Cliff Robertson, Jonathan Winters, Shelley Berman, Bill Mumy, Leonard Nimoy, Mickey Rooney, Mariette Hartley and more.
•Video Interviews with Richard Matheson, George Clayton Johnson, Earl Hamner, Jr. and more.
•Vintage Audio Recollections with Buck Houghton, Buzz Kulik, Douglas Heyes, Lamont Johnson, Burgess Meredith and more.
•Isolated Music Scores featuring the legendary Bernard Herrmann, Jerry Goldsmith, Fred Steiner and more.
•Rod Serling Promos for “Next Week’s” Show.
•Rare Rod Serling Appearances: The Liar’s Club, The Mike Wallace Interview, The Garry Moore Show, Tell It To Groucho, The Jack Benny Show and more.
•Highlights from the Museum of Television and Radio Seminar.
•And Much More!
Old 01-01-11, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection- $93.99 Amazon DOTD 1/1/11

Thanks for posting. I'd have jumped on this not too long ago, but with the Blu-ray releases I can't really see a point in getting this. I'm sure for some though this will be a good deal.
Old 01-01-11, 10:26 AM

Re: The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection- $93.99 Amazon DOTD 1/1/11

Originally Posted by kstublen
Thanks for posting. I'd have jumped on this not too long ago, but with the Blu-ray releases I can't really see a point in getting this. I'm sure for some though this will be a good deal.
Came very closed also. Caved in and going to wait for the blu-ray. I have so many un-open un-watched show that I have gotten in the last two months. I would never get to to this till next year. By that time season 3/4 should be out and season 1/2 (blu) should be under $30 each.
Old 01-01-11, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not as optimistic about that price drop. The individual DVD seasons rarely drop below $30 when they're on sale. When they do, it's by a buck or two at best, unless you find them used at a good price.
Old 01-01-11, 01:37 PM
Banned

I already have seasons 1, 2, 3, & 5. I never cared for the hour long episodes in season 4. Had picked up my seasons for around $20.00 each on Amazon market place quite a while ago and even got a book with my season 1 set, but I agree this is a great price for the whole series-
Old 01-01-11, 04:36 PM

Darn! Just bought this last week for ~115$. I still feel that price was a good deal but this is better...

How much better can these look on Blu-Ray? I know that they were shot on film and that they probably do look better but I decided not to wait. I rip lots of dvds to my iPad and I can't yet do that with Blu-Ray.
Old 01-01-11, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AdamGott
Darn! Just bought this last week for ~115$. I still feel that price was a good deal but this is better...

How much better can these look on Blu-Ray? I know that they were shot on film and that they probably do look better but I decided not to wait. I rip lots of dvds to my iPad and I can't yet do that with Blu-Ray.
Lots of great extras with the BD S1 set... But I cant justify rebuying them either. I already have the Definitive Collection...
Old 01-01-11, 09:27 PM

from my experience there's not a huge difference between BR & upscaled DVD when it comes to cartoons and b&w shows
Old 01-02-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You'd be surprised. Older TV shows (when using a film source) can look outstanding on Blu-Ray. Star Trek and The Prisoner are two notable examples. Everything I've read about the Twilight Zone Blu-Rays say the same thing.

As tempting as this is, I plan on waiting for the Complete Series on Blu-Ray.
Old 01-01-12, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Apparently this is now a tradition. $91.99 today 1/1/12 for DVD, $152.99 for BD.
Old 01-01-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't even notice until reading the last post that most of the posts were from last year. I know I'm in the minority but I don't see the big deal in starting a new thread when there hasn't been a new post for awhile in an old one. But when you do that a bunch of folks will post links to the old thread(s) and want to know why you didn't post there. In my opinion, because all the posts are old and don't matter anymore. It can also cause confusement, such as my wondering why everyone here is mumbling about waiting for the bluray sets when I know it's on sale too, but today not last year. Oh, well.
Old 01-01-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I didn't even notice until reading the last post that most of the posts were from last year. I know I'm in the minority but I don't see the big deal in starting a new thread when there hasn't been a new post for awhile in an old one. But when you do that a bunch of folks will post links to the old thread(s) and want to know why you didn't post there. In my opinion, because all the posts are old and don't matter anymore. It can also cause confusement, such as my wondering why everyone here is mumbling about waiting for the bluray sets when I know it's on sale too, but today not last year. Oh, well.
Yeah, could go either way but since this forum is relatively low traffic compared to the BD one, and a lot of DOTD threads get no comments anyway, I figured this would be easier and the previous comments might be useful. I know every new thread about The Prisoner BD tends to ask the same questions.
Old 01-01-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Went for the BR version. I already have the first three seasons but it's cheaper to sell those and buy this deal to get the last two seasons.
Old 01-01-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since I don't have any of the blu-ray season sets this deal works out well for me. Also I had a $10 off $50 Mastercard coupon I used to cut the price down a little more.
Old 01-01-12, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does the complete DVD set offer any extras not included on the Blu-rays? Are there any other reasons to own the DVD set?
Old 01-01-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only extra I have from the DVD set that didn't come with the BR is a book I got with the first season.
Old 01-01-12, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
The only extra I have from the DVD set that didn't come with the BR is a book I got with the first season.
Thanks. I have all the Blu-ray sets but for some reason I have the urge to own the DVD sets as well. Love this show.