Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Hamilton Books

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Hamilton Books

Ninja III: The Domination $4.95 on Blu?!?!
Old 12-03-14, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@GoldenWheels:

IMDB (also sometimes wrong) lists the length at 78 minutes. Skimming a few reviews, a 2007 review at DVDVerdict lists the length at 85 minutes in the specs, but 80 minutes in the text, and a 2009 review at notcoming.com lists the length in a rather detailed way at 78 minutes. Personally, I think the two Bloodsuckers selling $$$ copies just globbed onto whatever entry was most common at the time, and as the other copies sold, Amazon's search algorithm gradually filtered them out. If you do a title search today, you get only the more reasonably priced entry. I typically always prefer the first release anyway, as studios tend to go cheap as they go along, i.e. leaving out inserts and using cheaper cases.

BTW, expect an order in the near future...and thanks to everybody who offered an overview of Mexican horror.
Old 12-03-14, 08:04 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Golden Wheels: The run time listed on Amazon for 0883164900993 is wrong. That one runs 85 minutes (according to the back cover). That's the version I own.

As to why there are two skus... I'll take a guess and say that it changed when Casa Negra changed distributors. I seem to recall that CAV took over distribution from Ryko a few years ago (I received an e-mail but it's long gone, unless my memory is faulty). All of the CasaNegra discs that I have contain a Ryko logo on the back cover. Could they have changed the skus when the distributor changed? I'm assuming that CAV would want their logo on the back, but who knows.

(If you'd like me to check the run times or UPC on any titles that I have, just shoot me a PM.)

BTW, there's not a chance that you'd carry the Pinky Violence collection is there? It's a Panik House title (and they used to be associated with CasaNegra so I thought I'd ask).
Old 12-03-14, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I expect to have an update by Friday--I'm on it!

(one thing I can say now is: I am not raising ANY prices on the Casa Negra stuff! No matter WHAT I find. Everyone can make out very well here and that is always the goal!)

I do have a Q though....does anyone know why there are multiple skus for some of the Casa titles, and why some are more valued than others? Is this a cut/uncut thing? For instance, look these up on Amazon if you please:

0883164900993, 78 min runtime, $19.95 on Amazon. (one I am selling currently)
BUT:
0654930310991, 85 min runtime, $69.99 on Amazon!

There's more than one title I see this on and I have no issue listing both. I'm guessing the run time has to be it but I also know run times on amazon are sometimes totally wrong!
Golden, both UPCs are for the exact same product. The UPCs directly on the back covers are the 883 ones. Then, later in time UPC codes were printed on stickers (presumably when Synapse started distributing Panik House) and stuck over the old ones. That's probably why, for example, FilmAF lists both UPCs for the same release of BRAINIAC.

I'm looking at several Synapse DVDs in my collection, and all of their UPCs begin with "654930".

I think all Panik House DVDs, not just CasaNegra, have these dual UPCs. (EX: Pinky Violence Collection on FilmAF) (Perhaps the older UPCs are Ryko-related and the newer ones CAV-related?)

To answer your question of why some are more valued than others: I have no clue. A lot of 3rd party sellers enter their product by UPC code. If their copy has a Synapse UPC sticker, they'll enter that one. If it doesn't, they'll enter the other.

(Major studios do this with their home entertainment, too. A lot of DVDs & Blu-rays you'll find in Best Buy bargain bins have had these UPC stickers over another UPC.)

Last edited by Living Deadpan; 12-03-14 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-03-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

I expect to have an update by Friday--I'm on it!

(one thing I can say now is: I am not raising ANY prices on the Casa Negra stuff! No matter WHAT I find. Everyone can make out very well here and that is always the goal!)

I do have a Q though....does anyone know why there are multiple skus for some of the Casa titles, and why some are more valued than others? Is this a cut/uncut thing? For instance, look these up on Amazon if you please:

0883164900993, 78 min runtime, $19.95 on Amazon. (one I am selling currently)
BUT:
0654930310991, 85 min runtime, $69.99 on Amazon!

There's more than one title I see this on and I have no issue listing both. I'm guessing the run time has to be it but I also know run times on amazon are sometimes totally wrong!
I'm not familiar with the title and its history so I did a bit of research. IMDB shows the US runtime to be 78 minutes. One of my "go to" sites for horror titles, dvddrive-in.com, doesn't mention alternate edits and/or runtimes. They are pretty good about mentioning such minutae so I tend to think that second runtime is incorrect. That more expensive, and longer, listing shows to be from Synapse Films rather than Casanegra Ent and has a later release date. More digging turned up this tidbit from dvdbeaver (who shows the runtime as 1:18:54):

The Casanegra label is now defunct but the titles have been re-released by Synapse Films (along with titles by the defunct Panik House) but they are limited to the excess inventory on hand (the Amazon link above will take buyers to a new entry for the film; not the original release entry which is considered "out of stock"). Synapse Films have no plans to reprint any of the releases as of this time.
So... the more expensive one is a re-release by Synapse and the runtime on Amazon is incorrect. I'd suspect that's the case with the others you've seen. Based on that information I'd think the original Casanegra releases that you have would be preferred.
Old 12-04-14, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Ninja III: The Domination $4.95 on Blu?!?!
Yes, and way below my actual cost. But here's the thing....I cut a ton of titles last week, for a clearance catalog. It is last call on MY stock for these titles, they were POOR sellers on which we have limited quantities.

Usually when I have a good deal, I like to mention them here. I can't risk mentioning cuts like this because if it gets on the web all over, I'm screwed, because I don't have many copies of many of these titles, and I need to have some for the catalog orders!

So guys, go look if you'd like, I did lots of cuts on DVDs and blus (and books!), and lots were blus because I can't sell blus for anything! But please don't share them everywhere as there is in no case enough to go around if they go nuts! For instance, Ninja...I have 7 copies, and there will be no more ordered. But 7 copies would have lasted me almost 4 months at current sales rate!
Old 12-04-14, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And Bob, Deadpan, tao, John, as always.....you guys are awesome and an awesome resource. I love this place.

John: I won't be getting the Pinky Violence set but I have some of the parts on order:Girl Boss Guerilla and Terrifying Girls High School. Don't know my fill yet but fully expect to get them in a few weeks. They'll be $3.95.

(I have Delinquent Girl Boss, in the Media Blasters version too, and I do have the Synapse version on order--but not the fourth movie of that set. Sorry!)

Also, so far as more Casa Negras for you guys: I am re-upping on the ones I have and I am ordering quite a few "Curse of the Crying Woman". Again, normal caveat at this point, I'm ordering but have no clue on my fill until I see the stuff show up.

Sadly, No El Vampiro available, and if it's not on here guys, I would recommend if you see it for what you consider a good/fair OOP price, get it. I don't think there's a hidden supply sitting somewhere.

Last edited by GoldenWheels; 12-04-14 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-04-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks GoldenWheels! Off to look for clearance titles as I have a order in my cart that's just itching to be placed!
Old 12-04-14, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Yes, and way below my actual cost. But here's the thing....I cut a ton of titles last week, for a clearance catalog. It is last call on MY stock for these titles, they were POOR sellers on which we have limited quantities.

Usually when I have a good deal, I like to mention them here. I can't risk mentioning cuts like this because if it gets on the web all over, I'm screwed, because I don't have many copies of many of these titles, and I need to have some for the catalog orders!

So guys, go look if you'd like, I did lots of cuts on DVDs and blus (and books!), and lots were blus because I can't sell blus for anything! But please don't share them everywhere as there is in no case enough to go around if they go nuts! For instance, Ninja...I have 7 copies, and there will be no more ordered. But 7 copies would have lasted me almost 4 months at current sales rate!
Lots of great deals to be found. About to place an order. Thanks!
Old 12-04-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GW, thanks for the updates and alerts for new stuff. Your input is greatly appreciated by us genre fans who are always looking for a cheap fix.

Just to be clear, to search Clearance items on the site, is it a matter of refining the search option to "PRICE CUTS?" I did that, but didn't see any Blus listed. ???
Old 12-04-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
GW, thanks for the updates and alerts for new stuff. Your input is greatly appreciated by us genre fans who are always looking for a cheap fix.

Just to be clear, to search Clearance items on the site, is it a matter of refining the search option to "PRICE CUTS?" I did that, but didn't see any Blus listed. ???
I think that should work (not sure why it didn't) but even that is problematic, as once a titles is pricecut here, it is always viewed as a pricecut. So you could see stuff from months ago or yesterday (or, at least, you should see them! I'm going to look into that!).

The easiest thing to do right now though is to go to the "power search":

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search

Set it to blu-ray under "binding/media", and sort it by price ascending. Then once you see the results, I'd have it show you 100 on the page at a time (we only have 200 blus total).
Old 12-04-14, 03:01 PM
Defunct Account

My last order just shipped a day or two ago and hasn't arrived yet but I'm going to put in another order today or tomorrow. You've got some great prices! I won't mention any titles, but I've paid $10+ more than you're asking for some of the Blu-rays that rarely go on sale. (I'm looking at you house-of-mouse.)

Thanks for the updates GW!
Old 12-04-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Placed my order today, a scant four items because of low money at the moment. Maybe by the time THE CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN comes in I will have more capital to work with. Ordered online and paid the extra $1.60 shipping to get these before they sold out. Just a little over $20 shipped, averaging out to $5 each which isn't bad at all!

SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR (Blu)
EAGLES OVER LONDON (Blu)
THE AVENGING CONSCIENCE (considered the first feature length American horror film)
THE WITCH'S MIRROR

GW, please keep us alerted to more great buys. Too bad about EL VAMPIRO, but I had a feeling that one would not show up as it's been OOP and commanding high prices for quite awhile now. Maybe being a two movie, two disc set, prevented it from being economically feasible to re-release?
Old 12-04-14, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I'll be looking for The Curse of the Crying Woman as well. I just placed a order for the 3 Casanegra titles I don't have and a few other bargains:

THE MAN AND THE MONSTER
THE BLACK PIT OF DR. M
THE LIVING COFFIN
SATURDAY MORNING CARTOONS, VOLUME 1: 1960s
LITTLE BRITAIN: The Complete Second Series
THE LEAGUE OF GENTLEMEN: The Complete Series 2
FIRE MAIDENS OF OUTER SPACE
"HANDS OF THE RIPPER": The Hammer Horror Collection
DJANGO! Four Film Collection

"Little Britain" and "League of Gentlemen" are both blind buys I justified with the low price.

I was thrilled with the price for "Fire Maidens..." as well as the new lower price for "Hands of the Ripper!" I just wish Hammer Horror titles worked better for Hamilton as I have a couple of holes I'd love for them to be able to help me fill. Oh well... I'll just have to keep looking.
Old 12-14-14, 07:43 PM

You guys should of probably had some new people order from you the last week.
Old 12-16-14, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks Tito!

Not genre stuff but not a bad deal:

Premiere Frank Capra Collection $24.95
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-prem...pra-collection

I will keep on the genre and cult stuff...that's my wheelhouse personally but nothing sells like classic Hollywood for us, especially through the catalog. I think there will be some Jess Franco news in 3-4 months and I am doing my best to get some good pricing.
Old 12-16-14, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link

I was thrilled with the price for "Fire Maidens..." as well as the new lower price for "Hands of the Ripper!" I just wish Hammer Horror titles worked better for Hamilton as I have a couple of holes I'd love for them to be able to help me fill. Oh well... I'll just have to keep looking.
You and me both! And I wish more people liked Shaw Brothers kung fu also! (note almost all the things I wish sold better are all things I want to bring home myself! )
Old 12-16-14, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

GAH! I just had my cart full of things to order. Went in to print the mail order form, changed my mind and decided to order online, but it emptied my cart, and I didn't print the mail order form. So I lost everything!
Old 12-16-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
GAH! I just had my cart full of things to order. Went in to print the mail order form, changed my mind and decided to order online, but it emptied my cart, and I didn't print the mail order form. So I lost everything!
Hate when that happens. I sometimes am so aware of that possibility while putting together a large order at any site, that I'll cut and paste a yet-to-be completed list to save elsewhere just in case.

As for Hamilton Books, I received my recent order within the last week and was very pleased with the entire process--confirmation, shipping, prices, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I always open 2 tabs and go to cart. That way it's saved in at least 1 tab. There's a thread on blu-ray.com and all the Disney titles are gone. Alot of the $1 BDs are still there, but most are only OK and if you don't order online, there's no way you will get anything.
Old 12-17-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

That same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I spent about an hour going through all the price reduction dvds and blu-rays and had about $150 of stuff in my cart. I wanted to compare the shipping costs, so I clicked the "print" option and was really mad when it cleared my cart. I ended up not ordering anything. A couple of days later, I got to thinking about it and was glad that I didn't order all those discs. I would have regretted it when I already have so many unwatched discs. I went back and ordered about 5 titles that I really wanted for $25 and paid with a credit card. It's definitely costing them money, but it did save me from having buyer's remorse and spending too much.
Old 12-17-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm....that is a web issue but I can pass that on to the tech guys who host. We probably do that so people don't have to empty their cart manually after mailing the order (to avoid double ordering by mistake) but it seems to me we could add a pop up etc that says "Your order will now print, would you like to delete the items from your cart?" etc.
Old 12-19-14, 01:35 PM

Sure, I know some people mentioned about taking paypal and then the shipping prices since they bought the horror films.
Old 12-19-14, 10:59 PM

Found a couple good deals for you guys.

Ford at Fox: $49.95

Elia Kazan Collection: $39.95

Both very nice sets. The Ford set is a BEAST!!!!!
Thanks so much for the heads up! Got my sets earlier this week. Filled some Outstanding!
Old 12-20-14, 04:56 PM

Not genre stuff but not a bad deal:

Premiere Frank Capra Collection $24.95
http://www.hamiltonbook.com/the-prem...pra-collection
Just grabbed "The Avenging Conscience" per ProfessorEcho's recommendation and one of the above sets. Had the Capra set on my list for a long time, but recently noticed the supply is drying up. Amazon is out and this is the best price anywhere. Am eying Kino's Griffith boxed set now, too, but $2 for 1 film is a no-brainer.

As we're talking tech issues, would you consider asking the web folks to carry over the selected search category (i.e. "Movies") to the search results page? If I do 20 searches, it saves some work to not always re-select it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.