Re: (DEAD) Star Trek TNG: Complete Series $69.99 at gohastings.com

Order I placed yesterday, just shipped.
Old 12-04-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lecithin
THIS was in my mailbox today:

These morons did not even put it in a BOX! They simply wrapped a thin layer of brown paper over it, I mean like paper towel thickness, and sent it through the mail that way!!!

Needless to say, many of the brittle plastic cases inside were cracked and broken completely. I haven't even had the stomach to look at the actual DVDs yet...

And the winner for worst packaging ever goes to...

Seriously... this is a $500MSRP product, who treats it like that? It's like looking at crime scene photos.
Old 12-04-10, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would call them once and ask for a replacement, if that doesn't work call your CC and file a claim. That is the worst packaging I have ever seen.
Old 12-04-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I received mine yesterday and it was in a big bubble enevelope. There doesn't appear to be any damage, but I have yet to open it. This is beyond ridiculous. I got a $2 DVD shipped from Amazon in a box, but gohastings can't send a $500 MSRP product in freakin' box. I was pissed when I saw it, but releived (at least so far) when I didn't see any damage. No matter what the deal, I doubt I will ever shop at goHastings again.

These morons did not even put it in a BOX! They simply wrapped a thin layer of brown paper over it, I mean like paper towel thickness, and sent it through the mail that way!!!

Needless to say, many of the brittle plastic cases inside were cracked and broken completely. I haven't even had the stomach to look at the actual DVDs yet...
Old 12-04-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jez. A freakin' bubble envelope? WTF. Did they run out of boxes and some rogue employee started improvising?

I'd be surprised if there isn't damage inside. The cases are of a very brittle plastic.

BTW... has anyone seen custom art that's around the same footprint as the box (perhaps a little bigger?) using multi-disc cases? I know I've seen them before, but now I cannot find one. It's a complete pain flipping through a huge green brick of discs. Also, upon further examination, the brick is actually held together with adhesive tape (think: packing tape) along one end, which is just asking for future trouble when the glue degrades.
Old 12-04-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got the "ships of the line" set ready to go when my set gets here. It has a bigger footprint than that box from the looks of it though.
Old 12-04-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Sad part is that GoHastings orders come from many stores.... and from the looks of it.. some of those stores have real morons working there that don't know how to package a product for proper shipping (and some that actually do - 1 reported in a box)... and more unfortunate is those who are doing screwy packaging are representing the company as a whole... just sad...
Old 12-04-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got mine today. It shipped out of CO in a box that looks like crap. I was a bit worried when the shipping label said 'Received Damaged' but the item itself looks ok. Not mint though, the shrink wrap is torn and scuffed, but at least nothing's cracked. The price sticker was still on it - says $179.99.
Old 12-04-10, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by GMan2819
Got mine today. It shipped out of CO in a box that looks like crap. I was a bit worried when the shipping label said 'Received Damaged' but the item itself looks ok. Not mint though, the shrink wrap is torn and scuffed, but at least nothing's cracked. The price sticker was still on it - says $179.99.
Thats wierd how these ship from all over the place,mine came from amarillo texas in a box with air bags in it
Old 12-04-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NEUMANN
Thats wierd how these ship from all over the place,mine came from amarillo texas in a box with air bags in it
They're shipped directly from whatever store has them in stock... mine came from Dallas, TX and was beautifully boxed with air packs as well.

If it's anything like when I worked in retail, the store receives a fax/email from corporate with shipping instructions and a label and packing quality varies by store and common sense level.
Old 12-04-10, 08:51 PM
Suspended

Mine shipped from Hutchinson, KS (I live in NC), and was immaculately packaged in a box with airbags.
Old 12-04-10, 09:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone actually checked to see if what they received are region 1 discs?
Old 12-05-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by conehead433
Has anyone actually checked to see if what they received are region 1 discs?
The set I received is region 1 and made in Mexico.
Old 12-05-10, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
And the winner for worst packaging ever goes to...

Seriously... this is a $500MSRP product, who treats it like that? It's like looking at crime scene photos.
Lol, typical Hastings BS. I bet they won't offer you an exchange. Only a refund.

I ordered Summerslam Complete Anthology used from them last week, and it was shipped in a huge bubble mailer. Thankfully, the set comes in a sturdy cooler shaped case so no damage.

Then I went to their store today to take advantage of their 5 used books for $20 dollar sale. Girl in the book section told me it included graphic novels. However, their checkout computer refused to give me the discount, and they tried to sell it to me at full price. I told them forget it and left!
Old 12-05-10, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000
I've got the "ships of the line" set ready to go when my set gets here. It has a bigger footprint than that box from the looks of it though.
Thanks for the tip... found the art and it's beautiful. Ordered 10 8-disc cases (which the art is sized for) for $10 and I'll be sending the art out to Kinko's for printing tomorrow (I've used their legal-sized paper online color printing service for inserts forever with local pickup). Thanks again! Might even convert my other Trek discs to match eventually.

Anyone doubting the release is genuine... sadly, it is. You can tell from the screenprinting on the discs and the fact that they're DVD-9 that they're genuine product.
Old 12-06-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently they used their monthly allotment of cardboard on my shipment -- my set came in a 3'x18"x18" box stuffed with brown paper for padding. There've been times when I've ordered hundreds of dollars worth of stuff during DD sales, and they managed to fit the merchandise in smaller boxes than this. It looks like USPS stacked some other boxes on top, and since there was nothing inside to reinforce the cardboards, the sides were all buckled. But miraculously, the actual set is in pristine condition.
Old 12-06-10, 07:40 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

My life is now complete...

If anyone makes custom case covers please post. If I get some free time over the holdiays I might take a stab at it and will do the same. "Ships of the line" does look cool, there's some neat comic book material I might try to adapt.
Old 12-07-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
My life is now complete...

If anyone makes custom case covers please post. If I get some free time over the holdiays I might take a stab at it and will do the same. "Ships of the line" does look cool, there's some neat comic book material I might try to adapt.
Cases ordered. Art ready. Might convert my TOS to the same type of cases.

I really wish the rest of the series would hurry up and drop in price. I had DS9 for the longest time but sold it off when I needed some cash last year when I was unemployed.
Old 12-07-10, 01:24 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

I really wish the rest of the series would hurry up and drop in price. I had DS9 for the longest time but sold it off when I needed some cash last year when I was unemployed.
I noticed prices on ebay seemed more fair. Though not final DS9 and Voyager seemed about ~$100 within day of end.
Old 12-07-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish I could have gotten in on this deal. Maybe they will do this kind of sale again sometime? One can hope...
Old 12-07-10, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I noticed prices on ebay seemed more fair. Though not final DS9 and Voyager seemed about ~$100 within day of end.
Buying Star Trek DVDs on eBay while avoiding bootlegs is like using a hooker while avoiding herpes. How lucky do you feel today?
Old 12-07-10, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Lol, typical Hastings BS. I bet they won't offer you an exchange. Only a refund.

I ordered Summerslam Complete Anthology used from them last week, and it was shipped in a huge bubble mailer. Thankfully, the set comes in a sturdy cooler shaped case so no damage.

Then I went to their store today to take advantage of their 5 used books for $20 dollar sale. Girl in the book section told me it included graphic novels. However, their checkout computer refused to give me the discount, and they tried to sell it to me at full price. I told them forget it and left!

How right you are! They claimed to be too busy to answer my email with those photos, so I had to wait in line on hold to call them only to find that they would refund my money but could not send another set as they are, of course, all out. They may get some in, she said, but they would be at a "significantly higher price" due to the savings on this set not being repeated if I wanted to wait for a restock.

I decided to go with the alternative offer of $10 partial refund, since the discs themselves seem to be okay. I will just tape the trays back together and glue the broken pieces back on or some kind of Borg-like conglomeration to fix it.

Apparently, the discs get sent out from "different retail sites" and I must have been the lucky one to get the one with stoners working there that day.
Old 12-07-10, 03:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Cases ordered. Art ready. Might convert my TOS to the same type of cases.

Rob, what art are you using? I'm going to be doing the same thing regardless of how my package arrives. Are you using custom art?
Old 12-07-10, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Apparently they used their monthly allotment of cardboard on my shipment -- my set came in a 3'x18"x18" box stuffed with brown paper for padding. There've been times when I've ordered hundreds of dollars worth of stuff during DD sales, and they managed to fit the merchandise in smaller boxes than this. It looks like USPS stacked some other boxes on top, and since there was nothing inside to reinforce the cardboards, the sides were all buckled. But miraculously, the actual set is in pristine condition.
I got mine in a box today...but with no stuffing inside, there's a big crack in one side, but otherwise it looks OK.
Old 12-07-10, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Rob, what art are you using? I'm going to be doing the same thing regardless of how my package arrives. Are you using custom art?
Star Trek 'Ships of the Line' Collection

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.