DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

TARGET Black Friday 2010

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: TARGET Black Friday 2010

Originally Posted by MScottM
I can verify that the Trilogy did scan up at the $7.99 price. I got the only one that was in the store.
Couldn't believe I actually got this too.

Went to a Target another Target at 9am just to see if there were any other LOTR sets laying around, and saw a tag where they were --- 7.99 -- save $67!!

Also around 9am there were Burn Notice sets and Psych sets, so it wouldn't hurt to check just to make sure.
Old 11-26-10, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
Also around 9am there were Burn Notice sets and Psych sets, so it wouldn't hurt to check just to make sure.
I just came back from a Target run at about 2 PM... First Target only had 1 copy of Burn Notice Season 2, and it was in a plastic case. Odd. No Season 3, and no Psych Season 4. They weren't even up in the cardboard display cases.

2nd Target had a crap ton of all seasons of Psych and Burn Notice in the cardboard displays. So I don't know what the deal with the first Target was.

Needless to say I'm really disappointed Amazon didn't price match, especially because this was well advertised and it wasn't limited quantities - it was more quantities than they ever keep on hand usually, if most stores were like the 2nd Target I went to. Amazon could have saved me gas and tax.
Old 11-26-10, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I'm stopping by Target on the way to the in-laws for Thanksgiving 2.0.

I'm so frustrated that Amazon didn't price match this year.
Old 11-26-10, 06:02 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

This was a seriously lame Black Friday at Target this year. From what I saw, they had the same old shit they always have on sale, maybe for a couple of bucks less, but it was the SAME SHIT. Nothing new. No Fringe Season 2, no Supernatural Season 5, none of the really good stuff, just all the same old shit they always put on sale. What a disappointing Black Friday this has been. -kd5-
Old 11-26-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the spot for the LOTR set but they sold out. Hope my dot com order goes through. They shipped my Dragon Dynasty blus but not my LOTR set.
Old 11-26-10, 06:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by kd5
This was a seriously lame Black Friday at Target this year. From what I saw, they had the same old shit they always have on sale, maybe for a couple of bucks less, but it was the SAME SHIT. Nothing new. No Fringe Season 2, no Supernatural Season 5, none of the really good stuff, just all the same old shit they always put on sale. What a disappointing Black Friday this has been. -kd5-
Just a heads up, Amazon has Supernatural Season 5 for $18.49 I usually don't pay more than 15$ for the supernatural seasons but 18.49 is good enough for me.

The sale this year all around definitely wasn't as good as last year, but I'm glad some of the stuff I wanted was on sale. The prices for Burn notice and Psych were really good. I wish I could have gotten them from amazon though. I remember they price matched everything last year. But oh well, Still a great deal.
Old 11-26-10, 07:37 PM

Went to one Target at 5 AM - lines were wrapped around the store, people were being pushy sob's. The fiancee wanted Vampire Diaries, SATC 2, and Princess Bride and hunkered down in the electronics line. I wanted a Wii Fit which was naturally sold out (bet there was only 3-4 of these to start with anyhow but got a price match off Amazon). I went to Best Buy and left her waiting - she waited for maybe half an hour and gave up as the line didn't move. We went to another Target 2 hours later and she grabbed what she wanted rather promptly and left. I won't dare go to Target early again.
Old 11-26-10, 08:31 PM

Got Burn Notice season 3 for $12.99 tonight.
Old 11-26-10, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

I remember last year on BF I wanted the Target Prince exclusive cd at the THEN sale price of $7.99 (now the everyday price is $4.99 last time I looked!) & waited in line for about 30 minutes to pay for it before I finally gave up. Went back the next day; the pricing was the same, plenty of stock & no lines. Don't know if that has anything to do with this year.
Old 11-26-10, 10:57 PM

In my experience, Target is the one retailer that tends to mean it when it says "Two Day Sale" and usually has plenty of stock on hand. I got everything I was looking for at 5:30 am, but later around 11:00 I walked in another Target just to see, and the stock was still very good. I went so early because I was doubtful they would have the non-DVD item I was seekin, but they had 28 of them stacked up, so there was no real reason to go so very early. Compare this to KMart on Thursday: at 6:30 AM I grabbed the last copies of the disks I wanted. That was just 30 minutes after opening.
Old 11-27-10, 12:56 AM

Went to Target at 5pm today and easily bought Psych S4. Found it interesting that NONE of the Black Friday sale prices were posted in the aisle. I had to go double-check the price with one of the scanners.

This actually kept me from buying some of the other $12.99 sets because I forgot which ones were on sale.
Old 11-27-10, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Did anyone here manage to find The Vampire Diaries today at their Target?

That was really the only title that I wanted and I could not find any near my house and before I left the Target website said they had them in stock.

I agree with KD5 about the selection being pretty shitty this year, especially the TV on DVD section. How many fricking times have I seen House seasons 1-5 on sale?? What about season 6 that just came out a few months ago? Last year I managed to snag Supernatural seasons 1-3, Gossip Girl season 2 and 30 Rock season 1-2 and they had a ton more than this year. I was really hoping to snag Gossip Girl season 3, Fringe season 2 or even Supernatural season 5, but nope.
Old 11-27-10, 07:47 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gonzoisking
Just a heads up, Amazon has Supernatural Season 5 for $18.49 I usually don't pay more than 15$ for the supernatural seasons but 18.49 is good enough for me.

The sale this year all around definitely wasn't as good as last year, but I'm glad some of the stuff I wanted was on sale. The prices for Burn notice and Psych were really good. I wish I could have gotten them from amazon though. I remember they price matched everything last year. But oh well, Still a great deal.
Yeh, I saw that at Amazon too, and I'm tempted. As far as all the other TV on DVD out there, my wife & I don't watch regular TV (except for the local news and maybe a short show while we're eating), and we ditched cable over a year ago because of all the CRAP and the goddamned commercials these days, so all the prime time TV shows mean exactly nothing to us. I bought Fringe Season 1 on a neighbor's recommendation (and got hooked), and Supernatural we got hooked on before we dropped cable, but can't stand to watch it on regular television for all the commercials. The only other TV show I'd like to own is NCIS but nobody wants to sell seasons of NCIS for $15 or less like the other TV shows, hell no. And I'll be damned if we're going to endure all that ignorant advertising CRAP to watch it on television.

-kd5-
Old 11-27-10, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

That was really the only title that I wanted and I could not find any near my house and before I left the Target website said they had them in stock.

I agree with KD5 about the selection being pretty shitty this year, especially the TV on DVD section. How many fricking times have I seen House seasons 1-5 on sale?? What about season 6 that just came out a few months ago? Last year I managed to snag Supernatural seasons 1-3, Gossip Girl season 2 and 30 Rock season 1-2 and they had a ton more than this year. I was really hoping to snag Gossip Girl season 3, Fringe season 2 or even Supernatural season 5, but nope.
Actually last year was the first time I can remember that the latest seasons of TV shows went on sale. It was usually every season BUT the most current one released. This year they did put Vampire Diaries S1 and Smallville S9 (at BB) on sale. I'm sure they will never put Smallville S10 on sale, since I usually manage to get every season of a show on sale except the last one.

The best thing to do with Target is go on Wednesday night. The tend to put everything out by Wed. night. Buy everything at regular price and stroll in around 10am and PM.
Old 11-27-10, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by kd5
Yeh, I saw that at Amazon too, and I'm tempted. As far as all the other TV on DVD out there, my wife & I don't watch regular TV (except for the local news and maybe a short show while we're eating), and we ditched cable over a year ago because of all the CRAP and the goddamned commercials these days, so all the prime time TV shows mean exactly nothing to us. I bought Fringe Season 1 on a neighbor's recommendation (and got hooked), and Supernatural we got hooked on before we dropped cable, but can't stand to watch it on regular television for all the commercials. The only other TV show I'd like to own is NCIS but nobody wants to sell seasons of NCIS for $15 or less like the other TV shows, hell no. And I'll be damned if we're going to endure all that ignorant advertising CRAP to watch it on television.

-kd5-
Since you obviously don't have a DVR and don't watch much TV at all, I get that you don't like watching commercials. But I think your being way too negative on them. Commercials pay for all those shows and I've learned to accept they are a necessary evil for the shows to be successful and eventually make it to DVD. But, we all have our preferences.
Old 11-27-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I saw two copies at my local Target (Novato, CA) around 5-6pm last night. They were hidden behind the endless copies of The Office.

My local store was pretty ravaged on the TV on DVD sets though. The only series left at that time were those 2 copies of Vampire Diaries as well as various seasons of the Office and Weeds.
Old 11-27-10, 04:18 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Since you obviously don't have a DVR and don't watch much TV at all, I get that you don't like watching commercials. But I think your being way too negative on them. Commercials pay for all those shows and I've learned to accept they are a necessary evil for the shows to be successful and eventually make it to DVD. But, we all have our preferences.
I have a preference for quality SciFi/Fantasy/Horror TV shows and movies, there is a serious shortage of them on television. Prime Time TV offers me nothing that I am particularly interested in, with the exception of Fringe and Supernatural, and except for NCIS, which is admittedly about as non SciFi/Fantasy/Horror as you can get, prime time has nothing to offer me. It pisses me off that every time the networks bring out a new and exciting SciFi/Fantasy/Horror show, it gets cancelled after the first season, and buying a one-season show (with a hell of a cliff-hanger) on DVD gets really old, really fast. I don't care for night-time soap operas, stupid comedy shows, crap reality shows, and 'Dancing With The Stars' makes me want to take myself out back and shoot myself in the head. Advertisers think we're a bunch of sheep with reality show mentalities and their brainless half wit humourless commercials are offensive to me. Neither my wife nor I like to watch television because it annoys us terribly to struggle through 3 minutes of TV show followed by 5 minutes of commercials. The last time we tried to watch a movie on television we swore it would be the last. I realize commercials pay for the shows, but there are more than enough people out there watching commercial television to make up for our absence.

-kd5-
Old 11-27-10, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Back to the point of this thread.

I walked into Target today because the web site still said it had copies of Vampire Diaries. Low and Behold, found 2 copies. I picked up both (1 for me and 1 for a friend for X-Mas)

$12.99 each is an awesome price for one of the best shows on Thursday nights. Capped off my Black Friday shopping perfectly.
Old 11-27-10, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Managed to pick up The Simpons Season 20 DVD today for $14, this is why I no longer buy these sets on release week.