DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Originally Posted by Proglodite
Riddle me this - why is it when I search for "Django" in blu-ray I get something called "Battle in Seattle"? As far as I can tell, they only have ONE LETTER in common! --Peter
No worries, Django isn't on sale anyway!
Old 11-22-10, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the items in my wishlist weren't eligible for the sale, and a few weren't so cheap even with the discount. However, surprisingly, Stop Making Sense (BD) was eligible (16.61). It wasn't the last time I checked during a sale.

I also ordered the BD of The March of the Wooden Soldiers (6.92) and the TCM Holiday 4 pack (9.22).

Edit: Here it is in the email confirmation format, in case anyone's going to do a tally:

1 LGN000526 BLR : MARCH OF THE WOODEN SOLDIER $ 6.92 In-stock
1 PLM003167 BLR : STOP MAKING SENSE $ 16.61 In-stock
1 WBD091546 DVD : HOLIDAY-TCM GREATEST CLASSI $ 9.22 In-stock

Last edited by Marvin; 11-22-10 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-22-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Wow... all items I wanted are bust on the sale, disappointing. Although I am tempted by Complete Metropolis.
Old 11-22-10, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I'd ask them why only select titles are part of the sale, when in previous years all titles were included. Seems like a legitimate question to me.
I discovered DD about 6-7 years ago and *every* % off sale I've seen since that time has had titles excluded. In those early years it would be certain distributors/publishers who did not want their product included. During the sales you could not purchase those titles at all. They'd not even show up with a search (which actually worked OK back then). The past couple of years they've gone to the method of flagging eligible titles rather than doing a blanket pull of ineligible titles. When they'd pull titles people complained either because they wanted one anyway *or* because they had been pulled and not included. Neither way is perfect for everyone.
Old 11-22-10, 03:48 PM

Their search engine is a mess, I'll agree. Quite a few things I'm looking at, but their site keeps timing out. Will probably try much later...
Old 11-22-10, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
everything in my wishlist (no boxsets or Criterions) went up $2-$3. lame. i may sit this one out.
Same here - I know many of us are fatigued from other sales and this one just isn't sparkling.
Old 11-22-10, 04:07 PM

This one just looks like a retread of the very lame Autumn sale of a month or two ago. The golden era of DD--when its name actually meant something--is truly dead and gone. The search function doesn't even work. I keep looking for Doctor Who titles and can't find them.
Old 11-22-10, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I discovered DD about 6-7 years ago and *every* % off sale I've seen since that time has had titles excluded.
Yes, but the titles excluded then were mostly obscure Anime releases. I bought dozens of discs during each sale, from a wide variety of companies, and never once had an issue with an item not being on sale.
Old 11-22-10, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

They just raised the price of the Clone Wars S2 Blu set by +$5. I guess I won't buying from them this sale.
Old 11-22-10, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by drmar35mm
This one just looks like a retread of the very lame Autumn sale of a month or two ago. The golden era of DD--when its name actually meant something--is truly dead and gone. The search function doesn't even work. I keep looking for Doctor Who titles and can't find them.
The search function is indeed messed up... after lots of trial and error I was ultimately able to find Doctor Who titles by searching for "Doctor Who:'" with "All Categories" selected.
Old 11-22-10, 04:32 PM

Yeah, it sucks that DD now charges sales tax to California residents.

This will OFFICIALLY be my FINAL order with DD as I will be ordering exclusively through Amazon from now on (using gift cards I accumulate on a regular basis, having already earned over $100 in AGC).

I only bought one DVD because it was super cheap.

Krull: $4.76 + $0.40 tax = $5.17. That's what it states on the invoice.

It seems as if DD overcharged me a penny.

Me as a DeepDiscount customer:
August 2004 - November 2010
Old 11-22-10, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There was just one recently released title I was going to start off with Monte Walsh but yesterday thier price was 14.81. On the DDD site it now says thier price is 15.96. I might order it later if the price comes down but with the problems peoples have been having with DDD recently, I may not order anything this time.

I just remembered I have BestBuy 5.00 reward thing to use and it will be cheaper there even with the tax, if they have it and I do not have to wait for shipping.
Old 11-22-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Crap, one of my items is backordered. I wonder if this means it's never coming.

On the flipside of that, Amazon has already shipped my order from the morning.
Old 11-22-10, 04:59 PM

What generally does "ships direct from manufacturer" mean? Most of the items in my cart say that.
For example, Dollhouse: The Complete Second Season BD comes from 20th Century Fox. Does DDD warehouse anything from the big labels? Thanks

JohnF
Old 11-22-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by 30smovies
As far as DD's future, I certainly hope they'll stick around; the prices at Amazon are sure to rise without their competition.
I don't think DD is even a blip on Amazon's radar.

Amazon is competing with the big b&m chains -- Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy.
Old 11-22-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Yes, but the titles excluded then were mostly obscure Anime releases. I bought dozens of discs during each sale, from a wide variety of companies, and never once had an issue with an item not being on sale.
Exactly...the difference between the last few sales and the ones from the glory years are night and day.
Old 11-22-10, 05:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No worries, Django isn't on sale anyway!
ironically enough, i got my copy during the last legit DD 25% off sale for like $13
Old 11-22-10, 05:36 PM

Everything I want either doesn't qualify for the discount, or the price went up significantly in the past week (and I don't mean due to a prior sale ending; I mean the price went up after 4-5 months of no changes). This is the first time I've had to pass entirely on the sale...
Old 11-22-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Cool.

Stop Making Sense (BD): $16.60
The Twilight Zone: Season 2 (BD): $56.22
Winter's Bone (BD): $15.65

Good deals, and I don't mind waiting for these to show up if I have to.
Old 11-22-10, 06:08 PM

I bought, or more accurately (since this is DD), I ordered "It's Garry Shandling's Show" Complete Series for $71 and change. It's half of what Amazon's been selling it for the last year. I tried to get this during DD's 25% off sale this past summer but it was backordered and never shipped so I finally canceled it. This time it doesn't say backordered so hopefully this order meets with more success.
Old 11-22-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just spoke with a CS rep on the phone to inquire as to why my three open orders have not been fulfilled when the site is showing the items are in stock? I was told that they recently acquired a new "distribution center" in California which will operate in conjunction with the Illinois distribution center, but that the merger of both systems has yet to happen in earnest.

He said that any items listed as OOS are probably related to the Illinois center and not the new California one. I asked him if I ordered the same items today would they be shipped out if they come from the California center? He said no, that all old orders would be fulfilled first, so he assured me that even though it may say on the site that an item is in stock, it just means that the California center probably has it, but it cannot be shipped anywhere until the two distribution centers are merged "electronically," something he expects to happen very soon.

He did acknowledge the problems and frustrations of customers in the past few months and blamed it on the Illinois center not being adequately stocked. He said with the new California center now in operation, it will only be a matter of time before all orders are fulfilled.

Don't shoot the messenger.
Old 11-22-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Remember the days when this thread would've been on page 30 by now? I'll be in the Amazon Black Friday thread.
Old 11-22-10, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figured I'd place an order with the understanding that I may never get what I ordered. However, even though all three of my items had the red banner on their individual pages and were stated as being part of the sale, the discount only applied to two of them. I guess DD forgot to mark up that item beforehand. I'd go on and order the two remaining DVD's, but the whole thing's left a bad taste in my mouth, especially since I know there's no way I'd get the Christmas-themed disc before Christmas.
Old 11-22-10, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lame lame company. still waiting on August shipments. Site loads slow. When it does load, half the titles I am looking for (basic stuff like How I Met Your Mother Season Five, Friday Night Lights Season 4) are not even carried.
Old 11-22-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Still waiting on my Breaking Bad: Season 2 Blu-ray from them, but I decided to place an order anyways since it was like $10 less than Amazon.

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (59.97)

Kind of sucks that not everything is included though. I wanted to order The Larry Sanders Show: Complete Series as well but it appears to be excluded. Oh well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.