DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Old 11-22-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Remember the days when this thread would've been on page 30 by now? I'll be in the Amazon Black Friday thread.
And most posts, mine included, are merely people complaining that nothing they want is on sale.
Old 11-22-10, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

An era has come to an end. Right up this last summers sale, I was still defending them when most people were bitching and moaning.

But the two fall sales have been massively disappointing enterprises for me.
I just ended up canceling tow of the things I was most eager to get, because Amazon has already handily beat the price on one, and the sale price on the other was really nothing special and will likely be bested before the year is out from somewhere else.

And for the first time I've experienced the price raising on things I was planning to get. These weren't on any previous sales either. The prices held steady for the last month and just got raised enough in the last day, that the effective sale price is actually only 20% lower than their normal price.
Still a sale, and in some cases the best prices I've seen on them, but the subterfuge leaves a bad impression.

Anyways, here's what is likely my only two orders.

The Maltese Falcon
Item #: WBD024122 $14.97

The Night The World Exploded
Item #: CLP035960 $14.74

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre
Item #: WBD024268 $14.97

PSYCHOMANIA
Item #: MPD001164 $10.77

Total:
$55.45

One Step Beyond: The Official First Season [3 Discs]
Item #: PRD043124 $22.12

King Kong
Item #: WBD088610 $20.97
(canceled)

Mary Tyler Moore Show-7th Season
Item #: FXD067658 $17.07
(canceled)

$60.16
Old 11-22-10, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
Riddle me this - why is it when I search for "Django" in blu-ray I get something called "Battle in Seattle"? As far as I can tell, they only have ONE LETTER in common! --Peter
The main character in Battle to Seattle is named Django.
Old 11-22-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any sale/codes going on at dvdplanet?
Old 11-22-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What now? Has anyone been seeing incredible deals on the sidebars of the site when you on your cart page? I saw the first season of THE LIFE AND TIMES OF WYATT EARP reduced from $39.99 to $4.53, yet when I clicked on BUY NOW, the lowest price was $20.00! ????????
Old 11-22-10, 08:53 PM

Conversely, I haven't bought anything from Deep Discount's sales in at least two years, but now there are quite a few items for which they're the cheapest (at least AFAIK).

Two BBC Sherlock Holmes series, the 1964/5 one with Douglas Wilmer, is $11.42 (RRP $19.95) and the new modern-day one, Sherlock, is $20.92 on Blu-ray (RRP $39.95).

A number of books I'm interested in are also 25% off, making them less than half retail.

Now, to sell stuff on eBay so I can build up my PayPal balance.
Old 11-22-10, 09:39 PM

Does this sale exclude the Warner Archive releases? I've tried the DVDTALK25 and 25MORE coupons but neither are going through. I didn't know if this is because it is excluded or because the site is just being buggy and slow.
Old 11-22-10, 10:08 PM

Why does the DVDTalk homepage have a link that says "Save an additional 25% our already low prices on all your favorite DVDs & Blu-rays this Holiday season."?
I just checked over a dozen items and none were eligible for the discount. They're making a lot of wild assumptions about what my favorite items are. A relief, after what I spent on Criterion discs at B&N.
Thanks for the memories, DD.
Old 11-22-10, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I went to the DD site and all it said was "Outlook doubtful" before i even had a chance to place an order.

I hope they bounce back next year.
Old 11-22-10, 10:52 PM

The code isn't working, at least not on the stuff I"m trying to buy..I suspect it only applies to the ones marked 25% off with code. Huge disappointment.
Old 11-22-10, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ftracy3 View Post
The code isn't working, at least not on the stuff I"m trying to buy..I suspect it only applies to the ones marked 25% off with code. Huge disappointment.
Since their site says:

Discount applies only to items featuring the "sale 25% off" graphic ....

yes, Sherlock.
Old 11-23-10, 02:51 AM

Glad I got my order in early. The Sarah Jane Adventures S2 DVD and Children of Earth BD are now the same price AFTER the code is applied as they were before the sale started. Some savings!

Last edited by joe_b; 11-23-10 at 05:19 AM.
Old 11-23-10, 06:51 AM

I used to love DD, but not anymore. I can't remember the last time I purchased from them. A part of that is because I haven't had as much money (after getting married and having a kid ), but even still I haven't seen anything enticing me to buy from them. Then these sales have just been ridiculous. I decided to check items I had put on my Christmas list, so I could let people who were interested in what to get me for Christmas know about the sale. But the prices (even after the coupon) are way above anywhere else. For one, they list the Back to the Future blu-ray at $63.96! I know I was pricing that earlier when I first wrote my Christmas list, and I don't ever remember seeing it anywhere for that much. Even 25% off is $8 higher than Newegg. What kind of sale is that? Even Hastings (which is known for high prices for their new stuff in-store) is $55, which is $8 cheaper than DD's supposedly regular low price.

I used to love DD, as their prices were usually in line with everyone else or even cheaper, then they would have the 20% sale twice a year to make it even better. Their free shipping always got to me within a few days from shipping (I never could figure out other's issues with shipping, but maybe because I live in a neighboring state) and even time to ship wasn't too long, especially considering the amount of orders they were taking during these sales. But now I just pretty much forget about them. I find myself looking up prices for movies and even if I do remember DD, it's usually one of the last sites I think to look at.
Old 11-23-10, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I don't think DD is even a blip on Amazon's radar.

Amazon is competing with the big b&m chains -- Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy.
Well, DD surely deserves the credit for getting Amazon to be competitive in DVD prices - the first several years they sold DVDs, Amazon rarely had any sales or much of a discount. Then DD came along with a advertising in mags like PREMIERE, their biannual 20/25 percent off sales, BOGOF, etc. and Amazon finally woke up and started having great prices/sales. I still think Amazon's major pricing wars is with other internet sites - you rarely see these sort of dramatic discounts at WM, Target, or Best Buy.

I'm not buying anything from DD this time around though - nothing in my shopping cart was included in the sale except for one title, the new price of which is the price it was before it went up a few days ago.
Old 11-23-10, 07:53 AM

Miraculous jumping price phenomenon going on overnight with titles I saw yesterday that were of interest. Michael Palin travel sets going with sales codes from c. $15 to c. $21, c. $21 to c. $28. Moral: If you like the price, put in the order NOW. When delivery occurs, who knows?
Old 11-23-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by obidawsn View Post
...I used to love DD, as their prices were usually in line with everyone else or even cheaper, then they would have the 20% sale twice a year to make it even better. Their free shipping always got to me within a few days from shipping (I never could figure out other's issues with shipping, but maybe because I live in a neighboring state) and even time to ship wasn't too long, especially considering the amount of orders they were taking during these sales. But now I just pretty much forget about them. I find myself looking up prices for movies and even if I do remember DD, it's usually one of the last sites I think to look at.
I'm rapidly developing this attitude towards DD. I'm hoping the financing issues the previous owners were experiencing were the cause of the majority of their issues over the past 12-18 months. Time was when I'd see something on sale at amazon and check the price at DD to find a lower (sometimes *much* lower) "everyday" price at DD. Not so much anymore. Now it seems that about 1 in 10 items are lower "everyday" than amazon sale prices and you can no longer *count* on the 20%/25% sale(s) to bring *any* title into "I'll get it for sure" range as in the past as each sale seems to exclude more and more titles. I somewhat defended them earlier on that as they've *always* excluded *some* titles (mostly anime and/or obscure/cache type distributors), but now it's mainstream stuff that before would be a guaranteed sale item. Only about 1/3 of my wish list is currently included.

Originally Posted by drmar35mm View Post
Miraculous jumping price phenomenon going on overnight with titles I saw yesterday that were of interest. Michael Palin travel sets going with sales codes from c. $15 to c. $21, c. $21 to c. $28. Moral: If you like the price, put in the order NOW. When delivery occurs, who knows?
This is another area where I was a staunch defender of DD in the past. This time I *must* side with the "prices have jumped' camp.

In the past I'd watch my wish list carefully and without exception all prices would stay the same with a few actually dropping some, with the exception of those titles which had been part of a category sale just prior to the % off sale. In every occasion where someone complained about price jumps and listed the title(s) it could be proven the title(s) had been part of a category sale which ended as the % off sale started.

This time, *EVERYTHING* (yes, EVERYTHING) in my wish list has gone up! Many by only a dollar or two but there are several cases of the price going up $8-$15 on a set! Many titles are actually *less* expensive *outside* the 25% off sale (assuming the new owners don't keep the inflated prices after the sale).

I, too, have seen prices go up during this sale with many having 2-3 increases as time goes on!

A few titles in which I had interest this time are BBC titles which *were* part of a BBC sale going into the 25% off. This time, I checked as soon as it went live, saw those titles included in the sale, and ordered quickly getting *great* bargains/prices. Two of those titles went up ~$10 each in about an hour, most likely due to the BBC sale ending (I believe it was scheduled to end at 3pm which supports my observation). A few I was considering for later went up $10-$15 each and are now more expensive with the 25% than before it started. Again, due to the BBC sale ending - but it's my fault as in these cases "you snooze, you lose". However, all the titles I did not order soon enough are *now* $2-$10 *MORE* than the "regular" pre-% off sale prices! Currently amazon beats DD on *all* these titles by a few $$.

So... I *still* have a few titles I'm considering *if* there are still funds after amazon, and BF sales. But even then, I'm watching those few closely and will *not* purchase if the price goes up.

I hope the new owners know about this site and monitor comments as DD-Dave did in the past. While I'm fairly certain we are only a small percentage of their total sales we tend to be very loyal and vocal when a vendor operates in an honest and forthright manner but also very vocal and quick to chastise when a vendor breaks certain trusts. Sadly, over the past 12-18 months, it seems DD has fallen into the latter category.
Old 11-23-10, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well....I actually caved in and ordered a few of the Columbia MOD titles that I just couldn't wait for...$14.74 each:

The Mind of Mr Soames (one of my top 5 most wanted titles)
Mickey One
711 Ocean Drive
Old 11-23-10, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
any sale/codes going on at dvdplanet?
Apparently, they have learned the way to avoid the abuse that DDD gets is to never have another sale.
Old 11-23-10, 09:36 AM

My rather cursory look at their prices indicates that there's no real "problem" here. It seems that most of the things I want are included in the sale, and that the prices are normal. People have to realize that low prices on particular items that may not be part of an advertised sale may be a price match or a manufacturer's promotion or an attempt to clearance out a particular item. In essence, these items are already on sale, even if it's not advertised as such, and DD (or any retailer) does not want to lose money by offering a sale on a sale. So, they raise the price up to what they need to to be competitive but still profitable.

People who expected DD to match a competitor's sale price then take 25% off that may be disappointed but that's good business, not an attempt to trick the customer. From feedback I've heard, they didn't always do so in the past, resulting in some ridiculously low prices, but their current management is probably trying to rectify that to be competitive and to stay in business.

Their prices do seem to be a bit higher than in the past, but the extra 5% they are taking off tends to compensate for that. It's not surprising that someone, somewhere has a lower price on a particular item than they do. That happens all the time, and it sometimes occurs with retailers who normally have very high prices. All in all, this seems to be a good, but not a great sale and the best way to get cross-the-board good pricing if you're looking to pick up several holiday presents or make a few impulse purchases.

I'll be waiting until how I see the Black Friday deals pan out and then what's left on my gift list and in my wallet, but I'll be picking up a few things next week.
Old 11-23-10, 10:13 AM

Received an e-mail that part of my order has been shipped. Strange, for the first time that I remember I've been charged tax that was added on after check out was completed. Has anyone experienced this in these orders?

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 SHF011667 DVD : DESIGNING WOMEN-3RD SEASON $ 22.04

Merchandise Total: $ 22.04
Tax: $ 1.99
Shipping & Processing: $ .00
Total for Shipped Items: $ 24.03

Customer Service says sales tax is being charged for CA orders as their new parent company maintains a wherehouse in California.

Last edited by CurtisRob; 11-23-10 at 10:42 AM. Reason: add'l info
Old 11-23-10, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like some Rifftrax deals will be it for me again. I think that's all I've gotten from them the past few sales.
Old 11-23-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CurtisRob View Post
Received an e-mail that part of my order has been shipped. Strange, for the first time that I remember I've been charged tax that was added on after check out was completed. Has anyone experienced this in these orders?

Quantity Item # Description Price
-------- ------------ ---------------------------------------- ----------
1 SHF011667 DVD : DESIGNING WOMEN-3RD SEASON $ 22.04

Merchandise Total: $ 22.04
Tax: $ 1.99
Shipping & Processing: $ .00
Total for Shipped Items: $ 24.03
The new owners are based in CA. Based on your profile you live in CA. They now charge sales tax in CA.
Old 11-23-10, 11:10 AM

I actually got a shipping notice today for an order place in August. The Prestige in blu. $8.99.
Old 11-23-10, 11:25 AM

Tried to order the new Chaplin at Keystone set. No codes worked, and it's OOS anyway. Big surprise.
Old 11-23-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Code doesn't work for Flicker Alley titles. It didn't for their 20% fall sale either.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.