Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

DD 25% off sale starts Monday

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-10, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DD 25% off sale starts Monday

I went ahead and entered the code(I know it's days early, but I was curious) and I got the following message:

The promo code "hotstuff" is not active until November 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM Eastern.
Old 11-20-10, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
...Also, they used the plastic bag, but not the plastic tray. The bag was just shrinkwrapped snug on the DVD. Not too crazy about that...
I can't see that being much different than using the tray. I'm not too crazy about the trays as they provide *no* top/bottom protection (somewhat critical on eco cases) and little on 2 of the sides. For some items the PO also charges based on size as well as weight so removing the tray might reduce the amount of postage needed.
Old 11-20-10, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
...the 25% off sale would be starting the 22nd and run through something like December 16
I hope this is true, as the 10th season of Hawaii Five O is scheduled to be released on the 14th of December.
Old 11-20-10, 07:19 AM

I'm still waiting for my two BOGO titles I ordered September 2.
Old 11-20-10, 07:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I can't see that being much different than using the tray. I'm not too crazy about the trays as they provide *no* top/bottom protection (somewhat critical on eco cases) and little on 2 of the sides. For some items the PO also charges based on size as well as weight so removing the tray might reduce the amount of postage needed.
If you notice these have big letters saying AUTOMATION FLAT - that extra length/width plus the flexibility allows a DVD to be shipped at a rate that's usually used for magazines (thus, cheaper than the package rate). It's smart on DD's part to try and save money...but it's stupid on the USPS's part to have so many weird rules and guidelines (and thus, one of the reasons they're losing so much money).

Ten years ago my business used to process all sorts of bulk mail newsletters, ads, etc for local businesses. But the new rules to get the automation rates have priced it beyond what small organizations can do. Almost every single bulk mail customer I had (church organizations, small businesses, etc) uses the internet to communicate now uses the internet or website for their communications. Stuff like barcodes, CASS certification, etc made it virtually impossible for small businesses to take advantage of bulk mail rates - and then the post office wonders why no one still uses the mail system...

I'd hazard a guess that those AUTOMATION FLATS are costing DD about 40 or 50 cents each to mail (very possibly even cheaper based on their volume).

Peter
Old 11-20-10, 07:49 AM

I know for sure a sale is coming now - several items in my Wishlist have jumped up several dollars.

Looking at the current prices on dvds that I'm interested in, even with an additional 25% off I'm not going to be purchasing anything because that discount isn't going to lower the prices enough to entice me. It used to be, as someone pointed out above, that when these sales would go live you could pick up DVDs from somewhere between 45% to 50% (and up) off the retail price. Based on a few items I'm looking at right now in my Wishlist I won't be getting that, so I'll pass because I know I can get any DVD I want for half price if I'll just be patient. If this sale isn't going to get me at least 45% off the retail price it's a no sale for me.

Gary "economically I've been forced to wait for better and better sales" O.
Old 11-20-10, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryO
I know for sure a sale is coming now - several items in my Wishlist have jumped up several dollars.
It's quite likely this is due to those selections being part of a sale which ended. Until they "improved" the Wish-List I would make bi-weekly copies to track prices up to and during these sales. In every case a price increase was due to a "genre" type sale which ended just before the "big one" started. That's not to say they've *never* raised prices on some items for a sale, just that I've never been able to document it on my lists.

Gary "economically I've been forced to wait for better and better sales" O.
I'm with you 100% on that one...
Old 11-20-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yep. I noticed that, too. Probably about one third of the DVDs on my wishlist went up in price about an extra 10-15%. Not everything increased (yet) but most/all of those that did were not on sale and had been at the old prices for months.

(In addition to having a good memory for numbers, I periodically save my DD wishlist to my HD for reference. FWIW, in the past couple of days, quite a few books on my Amazon wishlist jumped up in price, too, though they do that from time to time.)
Old 11-20-10, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
It's quite likely this is due to those selections being part of a sale which ended.
Normally, I'd agree. In this case though I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with a current sale that just ended. The items I was looking at were CBS/Paramount TV shows (recent releases) and they all went up about 10% each. I really don't think the prices had been reduced for any sale. I honestly believe they just raised them because of the upcoming sale.

Gary "can't say I'm shocked though" O.
Old 11-20-10, 09:16 AM

If prices stay what they are now. The alien set will be like 50 buck on blu
Old 11-20-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by larry47591
If prices stay what they are now. The alien set will be like 50 buck on blu
It's at $90 now so it would be around $68.
Old 11-20-10, 09:40 AM

Really? while i was looking for titles it showed up as 67 for me. to bad
Old 11-20-10, 09:46 AM

Its still there. It's on the you may also be interested in area, but when you add to cart it goes up. Maybe the are including the 25% off that amount to make it 67, but its not active yet.

Edit:
It's doing the same thing with everything in that area. goonies 26.17 Apocalypse Now Set 31.42
Old 11-20-10, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
The sale hasn't even started yet and I haven't even bought anything yet, but DD already wrote and told me no matter what I might want, it's all on backorder.
Old 11-20-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why bother, seriously? What good is having a sale if they're never going to ship orders? I've got stuff that has been backordered since summer, items that are readily available and in-stock everywhere else.
Old 11-20-10, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I really want is for DVD Planet to match this sale so I can finally burn the last of my credit. Not holding my breath.
Old 11-20-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Since DD has only shipped 1 movie out of 24 movies they have had on backorder for me since late August, there's no way I'm wasting any of my time ordering anything from them this sale. Besides, the 25% off sales are rarely as good as the BOGOs (or better). We already know from other threads that they are having financial issues and until my titles start shipping en masse I no longer trust DD.
Old 11-20-10, 12:08 PM

I must have missed the problems people are having. I order during the 2 get 1 got all my order pretty quick, even the backorders. So no problems ordering from them again. I really only want Apocalypse Now blu-ray, videodrome and cronos blu-ray if they are part of the sale
Old 11-20-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If the last two MST3K sets and a few Rifftrax DVDs keep their price, I'll probably spend $100 or so.

Other than that, it will be keeping an eye on Amazon's prices.
Old 11-20-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still waiting on the "free" DVD from a B1G1 in August. All the items in my wishlist have gone up by a few dollars. So yeah...
Old 11-20-10, 01:00 PM

my coupon says:

offer valid only on select dvds,blurays - look for the sale 25% off item graphic
titles subject to change

not like the old days
Old 11-20-10, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ddccow
my coupon says:

offer valid only on select dvds,blurays - look for the sale 25% off item graphic
titles subject to change

not like the old days
I figured as much. Don't see why they even bothered with a "sale" when they just had a 20% off select titles sale. Their regular prices just don't make their 20-25% off sales worth it anymore. Plus you can hardly find what your looking for anymore with their crappy search results.

Last edited by marald; 11-20-10 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-20-10, 02:53 PM

DD now charges tax to Californians. So the prices aren't as quite as good any more for us.
Old 11-20-10, 03:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
The sale hasn't even started yet and I haven't even bought anything yet, but DD already wrote and told me no matter what I might want, it's all on backorder.
Old 11-20-10, 03:57 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Bought a bunch of my back catalog wish list stuff at the latest Secondspin sale. Might look at some new release stuff to order from the sale, but it won't be much if I bother at all.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.