Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

a great 4 titles picked up:

The Old Man and the Sea (completes my Hemingway collection)
Murder in Mississippi
Bobby Deerfield (Pacino)
What Does not kill you (Ethan Hawke, Mark Ruffalo) - this had a special place for me cos I had attended a pre-release screening of this movie and liked it quite a bit. I don't believe it got a theatrical release (maybe wrong) but I had even suggested a name for this flick :-)
Old 11-05-11, 09:37 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Found Vampires: Los Muertos in the original case w/ insert at the BL in Hartville, OH for $2.88. -kd5-
Old 11-05-11, 09:58 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm looking to get the wraparound for the older DVD case for "Escape From L.A." along with its insert.
Old 11-06-11, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually, the selection wasn't bad.. but couldn't justify $5 for anything. No discounts, just the normal $3 and $5, and any decent stuff (imho) was $5.
Old 11-07-11, 11:21 AM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Picked up the only copy of 'Brothers' - the 2005 Danish original (remade by H'wood in 2009) *ing Connie Nielsen. $2.88. Also saw a new shipment containing several copies of 'Va Savoir'.
Old 11-07-11, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
It's this one:

Wasn't a bad movie (we enjoyed it), the DVD I found had the fullscreen, widescreen, and 3D widescreen versions on one disc. Haven't seen one like it since, only fullscreen/widescreen. Even though I don't have the capability to view 3D, I thought it would be novel to own this version. Used to be $5 at Biglots which I refused to pay, at $3 I bought it. -kd5-
I have the Blu Ray version of this disc and it came with 4 pairs of Red/Cyan anaglyph cardboard glasses. You can find inexpensive plastic anaglyph glasses on ebay. I would not bother with the cardboard ones.
Old 11-08-11, 07:16 AM

First trip in a long time. Picked up the following for $2.88:

Career Opportunities
Red Eye
Black Sheep
Brothers (import)
Brothers McMullen
Team America

Ultimately passed on these for $5:
Mutiny on the Bounty
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Old 11-08-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GMan2819
I have the Blu Ray version of this disc and it came with 4 pairs of Red/Cyan anaglyph cardboard glasses. You can find inexpensive plastic anaglyph glasses on ebay. I would not bother with the cardboard ones.
So Journey to the Center of the Earth has the type of 3D which any TV can play and would not benefit from having a 3D TV (unlike all Disney 3D titles which would benefit)?
Old 11-08-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Batman & Robin 2-Disc Special Edition $5
Old 11-08-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Manzana
So Journey to the Center of the Earth has the type of 3D which any TV can play and would not benefit from having a 3D TV (unlike all Disney 3D titles which would benefit)?
That is correct - any tv, even non-3D, can display anaglyph 3D. Just get yourself a pair of Red/Cyan glasses and you're good to go.

Not all of the discs include the 3D version though, I believe it was a limited run.

Warner is supposed to be re-releasing an updated Blu-Ray version using Blu-Ray 3D sometime in January 2012. That one will require a Blu-Ray 3D player & 3D HDTV.
Old 11-09-11, 02:51 PM

Stopped by another local store and picked up the following for $2.88

Fantastic Four (1994-95 complete animated series)
Men In Black II (superbit)
Old 11-11-11, 12:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, it was this time last year that the Black Friday TV sets started "leaking out" early. I stopped by a few stores tonight but didn't see anything. Does anyone know what's up for this year?
Old 11-11-11, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank
Well, it was this time last year that the Black Friday TV sets started "leaking out" early. I stopped by a few stores tonight but didn't see anything. Does anyone know what's up for this year?
There was one pallet of $6 TV on DVD sets (already picked through) that I saw at the local Big Lots. It was exactly the same as last year... what I remember seeing was stuff like CSI, CSI:NY, Petticoat Junction, Cannon, Walker:Texas Ranger, Charmed.
Old 11-11-11, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by petroStation
There was one pallet of $6 TV on DVD sets (already picked through) that I saw at the local Big Lots. It was exactly the same as last year... what I remember seeing was stuff like CSI, CSI:NY, Petticoat Junction, Cannon, Walker:Texas Ranger, Charmed.
Very believable that this year BL won't have any different titles for BF given the past posts/rumors that BL exceeded its DVD purchasing budget and many titles hadn't sold well (Twin Peaks S2 anyone) so they were buying less. And it shows from my few past trips to BL where I usually leave with few, if any, DVDs. BL has become the place for cheapo household supplies when they have a 20% off coupon 3-4 times per year rather than what it was a few years ago... my main source for DVDs and my substitute for renting movies.

Short of the Disney DVDs (most of which I can't find) I've seen very little new posted over the last year that interests me. That just means I can stop by BL on BF at my own convenience rather than wait in line to fight with 20 people over a couple tiny boxes of $6 DVD TV sets considering it will probably be the same-old same-old titles I've already got.
Old 11-11-11, 10:34 AM

Which season of Petticoat Junction did you see?

Overall, the tv sets sold well, even the least desirable seem to have eventually sold. The real stinkers were the $6.00 Nicklodean dvds of shows no longer on the air. I know a few stores that still have most of their original assortment.
Old 11-11-11, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I was just given a hint that there may be dvd's for BF that arrived today & aren't going out until BF. It was just a small hint, & that's frustratingly all I know.
Old 11-11-11, 11:37 AM

last year was great. I bought many tv shows such as everybody hates chris S1,2,3,the odd couple S2,5,90210 S 1,mork and mindy S1,2,3,MI S5. Cant wait to see what they have this year. On another note i bought grease(with the black jacket, and benjamin button the other day at my bl.
Old 11-11-11, 04:35 PM

Some titles I saw today.

Dance Flick $3
Noel (w/ Paul Walker) $5
G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra 2-disc $5
Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles (or something) I think for $5
Cave (I think for $5

Warner Bros. Blu-Rays for $8 each. Be careful on these as some of these had slices not only through the UPC code but also the cast too.
Scooby-Doo
Invasion
License to Wed
Speed Racer
and a few others.
Old 11-11-11, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Overall, the tv sets sold well, even the least desirable seem to have eventually sold. The real stinkers were the $6.00 Nicklodean dvds of shows no longer on the air. I know a few stores that still have most of their original assortment.
Conversely, I'd say that most of the stores that I've checked went through the majority of their Nickelodeon, and at most their presence is barely noticeable. But they all still have TV sets left too, especially Twin Peaks S2, where several stores have at least 10 copies left, as well as random others like 7th Heaven, Lipstick Jungle, Sister Sister (and the football show called something like "10 a day"?), etc.

I'm guessing that different areas sell through a bit differently, and some of it probably depends on what mix the store got originally. I could still go pick up at least half a dozen copies of Samantha Who? S1 easily, though some stores have apparently never gotten it in, based on other reports here.
Old 11-11-11, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm very excited to see what new titles BL gets in, I've only been shopping there a couple of months, but have already added well over 20 titles from my longtime Want List, others that I had mild interest in but were too good to pass up, as well as seeing several others that I got on sale, but apparently paid too much for elsewhere.
Old 11-11-11, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
Which season of Petticoat Junction did you see?
The one I looked at was Season One. There may have originally been other seasons, but it was half picked-through already.
Old 11-11-11, 10:02 PM

I still need a few things that were in last years assortment like Wild Wild West season 3 so it wouldn't be all bad if that is what showed up. The Sanford FL store (17/92 & Lake Mary Blvd.) had a wrapped pallet marker Black Friday only sitting next to their many dvd racks/displays. Could be dvds or something else? Found the following in the $5 display I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Black Hawk Down 3 disc special edition
Clash of the Titans (new Sam Worthington version) WS
Old 11-12-11, 09:09 AM

The one I looked at was Season One. There may have originally been other seasons, but it was half picked-through already.
Season One was the only one that I ever saw in the southern New England area.
Old 11-13-11, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmaxmed
Season One was the only one that I ever saw in the southern New England area.
I've only seen S1 of Petticoat Junction here in N.J. too.
Old 11-14-11, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Mickactual
I've only seen S1 of Petticoat Junction here in N.J. too.
BL had S2 in my area back in January. As with all BLs, it's random and unpredictable who gets what. To this day I still haven't seen a single Donald in Mathmagic Land or Ren & Stimpy the Lost Episodes while other people have.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.