Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 04-14-11, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Colorized "Little Rascals?" Ick. Stick with the legit versions.

Picked up "Mr. Smith" at one of the Albany stores myself a few weeks back.
Old 04-14-11, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by byriver50
Colorized "Little Rascals?" Ick. Stick with the legit versions.

Picked up "Mr. Smith" at one of the Albany stores myself a few weeks back.
I think the colorized ones are the Legend versions which also include the B&W versions.
Old 04-14-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
I think the colorized ones are the Legend versions which also include the B&W versions.
The Legend B&W versions are often better then other labels. They at least put some effort into what they do.
Old 04-14-11, 03:17 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Next week's ad is the new $5 titles:

Old 04-14-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texan26

for this price, my choice is to ignore these titles totally.

From posts in this thread I would think BL had learned its lesson about the $5 pricing tier. From the picture, I wouldn't even buy these at $3.
Old 04-14-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One word for those...JUNK!
Old 04-14-11, 05:14 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

wow, Big lots is still pulling this $5 garbage bin titles???? once they jumped from $3 to $5 and $6 per title I stopped going there.
Old 04-14-11, 06:36 PM

Ditto here. I won't buy any of the $5 titles and try to only buy the $3 titles when they have a 20% coupon or buzz club rewards event.

I guess they jacked up the price on this batch to try and recoup the $$ they spent of those $6 Nickelodeon titles and those $10 Twin Peak S2. The stores I visited still had plenty of them if anyone feels a need to grab one or two
Old 04-14-11, 10:27 PM

funny thing...to me the $5 dvds are always crappy titles or stuff that is easily found for 2-3 bucks at every pawn shop or used store.

The $3 dvds seem to be the better groups, including some films that are OOP or hard to find.

Whoever they have deciding prices they need to look at the picture they sent out for the new titles and realize that most people will not want to pay $5 for a single title in the picture.
Old 04-15-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On the other side of that, a couple weeks ago the local Grocery Outlet got a $4.99 batch that other than some music concert dvd's was no better than this BL $5 crap, & in 2-3 weeks they've sold through several hundred dvd's!
Old 04-15-11, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DeepSleep
Ditto here. I won't buy any of the $5 titles and try to only buy the $3 titles when they have a 20% coupon or buzz club rewards event.
Some of the $5 titles are great and things I wouldn't expect to be $3 - ie: the multi-disc Woody Woodpecker set - so it depends on what the titles are whether it's a good deal or not.

I couldn't imagne waiting for a coupon or rewards event to buy the $3 dvds though - the good stuff still disappears quickly with rare exceptions and I'm not going to risk losing a desired title to save sixty cents. Nearly every $3 title I've bought at BL has sold out the next time I visited the store.
Old 04-15-11, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by 30smovies
Some of the $5 titles are great and things I wouldn't expect to be $3 - ie: the multi-disc Woody Woodpecker set - so it depends on what the titles are whether it's a good deal or not.

Should have added those Gary Cooper and Marlon Brando multi-movie $5 sets somebody mentioned finding a few days ago are undoubtably part of this sale (albeit undoubtably not at every store). Obviously another case of a BL putting out stock too early.
Old 04-15-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
The Legend B&W versions are often better then other labels. They at least put some effort into what they do.
Agreed. I think they get a bad rap from the purists just on the fact that they colorize movies period, but I have a lot of respect for their product. You almost always get both versions of the movie and the print quality and the packaging is almost always well above an equivalent version in my experience.

They cost more than an equivalent release of course but then again I've never payed full price for a Legend DVD ever.
Old 04-15-11, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Texan26

Nacho Libre for $5, really? I blind bought that one for a quarter back when Movie Gallery closed, watched it once and didn't like it, now I can't even GIVE it away ( no one I know likes it )!
Old 04-15-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Like others, I rarely buy the $5 titles because (1) I probably already bought them long ago for $3-$5 and/or (2) I know that if I buy them for $5 at BL they will reduce them to $3 soon. They reduced Sydney White, Father of the Pride, and some others I can't recall. I paid $6 on BF for my Woody Woodpecker V2 set (never saw V1) and then they reduced it to $5. Yet, on these really old (but many of them decent movies) DVDs they want $5? As Aerosmith sang "Dream On..." Also, finding so many BDs for $5-$10 lately, it makes it pretty difficult for me to pay anything over $3 for a DVD.

I went to 3 BLs this week (due to errands taking me nearby). I never once saw Ren & Stimpy Lost Episodes which was the top title I wanted. In fact, from the sheet BL made available of their $3 movies, there were about 5 I was interested in which I didn't see at any of the 3 stores. I only grabbed a few blind buys which I might keep or return once I read the reviews.

To me my BLs have the same-old, same-old ho-hum stuff which is why I don't go often. It usually takes people mentioning a special title here which I really want (and usually don't find) or a 20% off coupon to get me to go to BL. Otherwise I only go maybe once a month to each store if I'm already driving by it.

I hope that we all band together and refuse to buy $5 DVDs so that BL will keep the price at $3. At $5 you might as well go to Walmart's mess of a DVD bin or Ross' DVD stand. Unfortunately probably most of BL's non-DVD Talk customers will probably buy the $5 DVDs. I'm still surprised when I'm at stores how many times I hear families talk or someone mention to an employee "I need the DVD because I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet", and I feel like saying "Why? You can buy a $15 to $20 new release DVD but can't afford $70 to $100 for a Blu-Ray player?" I then visualize Tom Hanks in Big raising his hand and saying "I don't get it".
Old 04-15-11, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
I'm still surprised when I'm at stores how many times I hear families talk or someone mention to an employee "I need the DVD because I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet", and I feel like saying "Why? You can buy a $15 to $20 new release DVD but can't afford $70 to $100 for a Blu-Ray player?" I then visualize Tom Hanks in Big raising his hand and saying "I don't get it".
Many people do not have a HDTV that would support a blue ray player.
Old 04-15-11, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana
Also, finding so many BDs for $5-$10 lately, it makes it pretty difficult for me to pay anything over $3 for a DVD.
One rule I started long ago concerning BL purchases -- never keep ANY regular movie that has a SE. This has proved to be a good rule. Many titles BL initially had only the 1D versions. Then the SE versions of the same titles started showing up (Punch-Drunk Love, Dogma, probably others I can't remember). Now I have started expanding that to not keeping movies that have Blu-ray versions out (recently I returned Frost/Nixon, Blood and Chocolate, Ninth Gate). Of course there are exceptions, but overall this has saved me some money -- and headaches of whether to upgrade or not. There's always a bunch of stuff that has no BR or SE out, so I'm never at a loss for something to buy. And when they have the 20% off sale, I'm more likely to break the rule.

Originally Posted by foofighters7
funny thing...to me the $5 dvds are always crappy titles or stuff that is easily found for 2-3 bucks at every pawn shop or used store.

The $3 dvds seem to be the better groups, including some films that are OOP or hard to find.

Whoever they have deciding prices they need to look at the picture they sent out for the new titles and realize that most people will not want to pay $5 for a single title in the picture.
I think the $5 movies (for the most part) are more popular / recent movies. I don't think many people blind buy a whole lot (except for horror fans) and if they recognize a title that seemed to be good, the don't quibble over 2 bucks. It's us who know the market and follow prices (and buy a LOT MORE than most) that are shocked at these titles. I remember Grudge 2 being $5 bucks and I thought that was ridiculous. But it sold out.

I actually hope the guy who makes these decisions does not change. He can price the crap at $5, just leaven the good stuff at 3!
Old 04-15-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pearl Street Tacoma, WA: Fairly major restock but not real strong

1. 1 tray of $5 titles. Only ones worth mentioning are the Cooper & Brando Franchise Collections

2. 3 ea of 2 different $3 trays. i.e. around 60 titles with 9 copies of each. Here's a few of the titles:
Charro!
La Bamba
Jabberwocky
National Velvet
Pink Caddilac
Comedy Central TV Fun House
Poltergeist

They also got 5 or 6 boxes of previewed dvd's @$3 Each box was identical. Only titles that stuck with me are Public Enemy & W.
Old 04-15-11, 02:05 PM

I didn't know who put out of the colorized Little Rascals when I said what I did. Legend apparently has a colorized/black and white edition of "My Man Godfrey" that I'd gladly grab if I can find it. I was just afraid that LR was the usual public domain crapola.

Hitting the Central Ave, Albany Big Lots on the way home...wouldn't mind finding the Gary Cooper collection for "Design for Living" alone.
Old 04-15-11, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
No "E" in Blu-ray
Old 04-15-11, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
No "E" in Blu-ray
No, but there is in "blue". If industry marketing wants to corrupt English and spell "Blue ray" as "Blu-ray", bless 'em, but we don't have to play along at home. It's a little embarrassing when my eight year points these things out, like "hey dad, McDonalds misspelled their sign - it says DRIVE THRU, when it should be DRIVE THROUGH", and then I have to fumble to explain that they actually did it on purpose and think it's clever or something, but don't you do it in school please.
Old 04-15-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 648 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by byriver50
...Legend apparently has a colorized/black and white edition of "My Man Godfrey" that I'd gladly grab if I can find it...
Yes, they do and it's done very well. I've yet to watch a Legend colorized film that wasn't done well. I have several B/W-colorized Legend titles and have watched the colorized version of them all. While my purist side prefers the B/W versions I'm always amazed at the quality of their colorization jobs.
Old 04-15-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Yes, they do and it's done very well. I've yet to watch a Legend colorized film that wasn't done well. I have several B/W-colorized Legend titles and have watched the colorized version of them all. While my purist side prefers the B/W versions I'm always amazed at the quality of their colorization jobs.
Legend actually did the Kino edition of "She". In fact I'm uncertain of the differences between the 2, other than the extras & the price.
Old 04-15-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by jaygarrick
No, but there is in "blue". If industry marketing wants to corrupt English and spell "Blue ray" as "Blu-ray", bless 'em, but we don't have to play along at home. It's a little embarrassing when my eight year points these things out, like "hey dad, McDonalds misspelled their sign - it says DRIVE THRU, when it should be DRIVE THROUGH", and then I have to fumble to explain that they actually did it on purpose and think it's clever or something, but don't you do it in school please.
Yeah ok..
Old 04-15-11, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
I don't tend to be an early adopter, because there's always something better around the corner. I try to wait until the market stabilizes. My HDTV will likely be a 40" LED 1080p 120 Hz set with local dimming technology...once the prices come down a bit. Probably matched with a $500 Oppo player. Until then, DVD is fine.

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
One rule I started long ago concerning BL purchases -- never keep ANY regular movie that has a SE. This has proved to be a good rule.
Good rule. I usually do the same. Before I buy most any DVD, I check if a better version is available, including a Blu Ray version. If the Blu Ray doesn't contain additional extras, and reviewers don't absolutely rave about the picture, I typically go ahead and get the DVD anyway. Don't know what I'd do without my smartphone. The passers-by at Big Lots probably think I'm texting!

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
I think the $5 movies (for the most part) are more popular / recent movies.
I always assumed that prices were dictated more by the seller (the distributor, the DVD studio, etc.) than Big Lots. If BL wants a certain batch of movies, they pay the seller's price, and movies from this distributor or studio...or films that are simply more recent...happen to cost more. I remember past comments about BL getting "another Paramount batch". Maybe the $5 disks are predominantly from another studio? I would be very curious how the process really works.

One example that may disprove the rule: I have a thing for classic Hollywood and was eying a copy of Grand Hotel (1931), a Warner DVD. Would have definitely eyed it closer had it been marked $3 instead of $5.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.