Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

i wont do any blind buys with $10 either. Last week we got $10 blurays of new shows (mad man). Maybe if i really want something i would get it.
Old 12-03-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I think maybe if they had put the TV Sets out at $10 and then reduced them to $6 for Black Friday, $10 wouldn't seem so bad. However to get sets for $6 first and then to have similar sets cost $10, it feels like they raised the prices. Black Friday prices are not the regular price. Mad Men in blu for $10 is not the new regular price for those sets. I glad they were that cheap and I got them. I don't expect them to be that cheap again after the holidays.
Old 12-03-10, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Classic Films
I think maybe if they had put the TV Sets out at $10 and then reduced them to $6 for Black Friday, $10 wouldn't seem so bad. However to get sets for $6 first and then to have similar sets cost $10, it feels like they raised the prices. Black Friday prices are not the regular price. Mad Men in blu for $10 is not the new regular price for those sets. I glad they were that cheap and I got them. I don't expect them to be that cheap again after the holidays.
I agree, it makes it seem much less of a deal when we would have jumped at the $10 price earlier. On the other hand, when you consider the cost of trading with other DVD TALK members, the postage, envelope, and confirmation costs of a trade, it's pretty much the same final price so I would definitely buy my want list if the titles showed up locally now priced at $10.
Old 12-03-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
The TV sets for $6 were not supposed to be put out until BF so the $6 is a BF price. In fact, all of the TV sets have 2 stickers on them - the $10 sticker is under the $6 sticker.
Old 12-03-10, 02:32 PM

Most of those series are selling new for $20-30 apiece, so $10 is a good price if you like the show.

If people won't buy something because they don't get it at the absolute lowest price it's ever sold for, then you won't be buying very much. You won't see Mad Men for $10 again real soon, but if you missed it at that price for some reason, there's no reason not to buy it at $15 later on.
Old 12-03-10, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by 30smovies
...when you consider the cost of trading with other DVD TALK members, the postage, envelope, and confirmation costs of a trade, it's pretty much the same final price so I would definitely buy my want list if the titles showed up locally now priced at $10.
That's the way I am looking at it...i'm crossing my fingers that my Big Lots gets a $10.00 batch that has different titles than we got for BF.
Old 12-03-10, 03:38 PM

If $5 is the new single dvd price and $10 is the new set TV set price, Big lots has just saved me lots of money.
Old 12-03-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by GMan2819
The TV sets for $6 were not supposed to be put out until BF so the $6 is a BF price. In fact, all of the TV sets have 2 stickers on them - the $10 sticker is under the $6 sticker.
None of the ones I purchased have 2 stickers. All have a single $6 sticker with only the plastic wrap underneath.
Old 12-03-10, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by valhalla7
If $5 is the new single dvd price and $10 is the new set TV set price, Big lots has just saved me lots of money.
With the $5.00 single DVDs I am a lot more selective...but I still think that a lot of the TV shows are a steal for $10.00. (This coming from someone who remembers paying $7.99 for 3 episodes of Mary Tyler Moore on VHS and being happy to find them!)
Old 12-03-10, 05:09 PM

This new $10 price points means that they will get more TV Box sets in from time to time. That's still a great deal on these. Look them up online or in other stores. Way more than $10. I wish I would have gotten them at $6 but don't mind the $10 price point. Just comparing them to Wal-mart.com prices will save you a ton of money on these. Plus many of these are hard to find. When's the last time you saw The Brady Bunch, Mork & Mindy, Lavern & Shirley, Love Boat, ect,. on store shelves? CSI are a big draw considering they are expensive elsewhere. Even if you found some for $19.99 this is half off. No shipping to pay either. You can look at the package before buying. Select from what they have.

It's a lot better than nothing. I thought I had missed out on the whole deal. Now I can relax because they will have more and more of them at the new price point.
Old 12-03-10, 06:46 PM

Saw a bunch of new $10 box sets at the Champaign, IL, store today, including:

Early Edition S1
CSI S3
Gunsmoke S3V1
CSI Miami S2
Twin Peaks S2
7th Heaven S3 S8
CSI New York S3 S4 S5
Jericho S1
Star Trek Fan Collective - Captain's Log
Star Trek The Next Generation - Jean-Luc Picard Collection
Old 12-03-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

"Jericho" that's new.

Great show by the way.
Old 12-03-10, 09:23 PM

Today I picked up for $10 each:

Jericho Season 1
Hawaii 5 0 Season 7
Star Trek Voyager Season 3

Not sure where all the hate for the $10.00 box sets is coming from. Sure $6 is better, but as a few mentioned above $10 is still a bargain compared to the same sets from other retailers. Also saw at the Sanford Florida store:

several differents seasons of CSI/CSI Miami/CSI New York
Melrose Place season 4
Joan of Arcadia Season 1
Charmed Season 3
Hawaii 5 0 season 2,3 among others.

Several display boxes were on a four sided shelf unit near the cash registers, away from the other dvds.
Old 12-03-10, 10:21 PM
Cool New Member

I saw season 1 of "American Dreams" today which is one I haven't seen mentioned. Didn't buy it... Still looking for Police Squad.
Old 12-03-10, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoke Monster
Still looking for Police Squad.
Me too, and I now have to add Early Edition to that list, as well. Anybody spot Season 2?
Old 12-04-10, 12:15 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Smoke Monster
I saw season 1 of "American Dreams" today which is one I haven't seen mentioned. Didn't buy it... Still looking for Police Squad.
That one's been floating around for a while now. I bought a copy of that back in September. It was the only copy at the time though.
Old 12-04-10, 01:31 AM

Well I found a store today that seemed to have a new stock (About 8 trays) all at $6 still:

Odd Couple S5
Mission Impossible S5
Beverly Hillbillies S2
Streets of San Fran S2v1
Melrose Place S3
Gomer Pyle S5
Star Trek - Klingon
CSI Miami S4
CSI NY S3
The Hills (couple seasons)
Twin Peaks S2
Old 12-04-10, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

Nothing new here, but I did find the leftover BF stock. 3-5 copies each of "Cheers" S9, "Caroline in the City" S1, "The Love Boat" S1/V1, "Odd Couple" S9, and a few others. Enough to fill a tray.
Old 12-04-10, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Pearl Tacoma WA appeared to have gotten more of the $3 & 5 Xmas batches, but it's also possible that they're just sitting. Also TONS of the $6 kids junk & a surprisingly high amount of the $6 boxes still left.
Old 12-04-10, 10:00 AM

Only ones I've been interested in are Cheers and Police Squad. Haven't seen either at three stores in South Arlington, TX
Old 12-04-10, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by U2Cowboy
Only ones I've been interested in are Cheers and Police Squad. Haven't seen either at three stores in South Arlington, TX
...but they've both shown up just South in Austin, TX
Old 12-04-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Do the $10 TV season sets (the ones that were $6 on BF) have a different SKU than the BF ones? In other words, they changed the SKU rather than just bumped up the price of the old SKU in the computer so if you manage to find a tag that says $6 it will still be $6 instead of $10?

Like someone else said, at $10 for a TV season set and $5 for a DVD, I will be highly selective and won't buy much. $3 for a single DVD is too ingrained into me now to be able to pay $5 unless it's a very special movie (in which case I'd probably want the BD instead). I rarely even waste my time digging in the $5 Walmart bin. Here when BDs are coming down in price, if Big Lots is raising their DVD prices that seems strange as it would further push me towards BD. Oh wait... I must be imagining that prices ever go up because there's no inflation... hasn't been any for years... the Fed keeps saying so.
Old 12-04-10, 01:30 PM

Yeah $10 isn't a bad price for tv sets, that is if they are tv sets that I want. SO far, most of the sets are lackluster in my opinion. If I saw the Fugitive, or Star Trek TAS or Voyager, I'd give it a whril. But, Melrose Place and the infinite incarnations of CSI just aren't my bag, baby. But, then again, for a few dollars more, you can get a slightly better selection of TV sets at your local "Evil Empire" store, (Wal Mart). And, they have a (generally) better selection of $5 discs. So, BL is losing my bread until they get back to what they were, the looooooooooooooow end of retail.

Between Netflix raising prices and BL raising theirs, the only winner is my wife when she sees the lower CC bills. :-)
Old 12-04-10, 01:43 PM

Copy of an email I just sent to BL expressing my interest/displeasure with $5 single dvd's.

COPY----------------------------------------------------------
In regards to what appears to be your new DVD pricing structure, as a long time DVD buyer, I feel it is within my scope of sending you a message.

If $5 is the new base price for single dvd's, I personally plan on buying a lot less. Simply put, a 66% increase is just too much for me to put out for a dying technology (BluRay being the one that is killing it). I've spent thousands of dollars on dvd's at Big Lots during the past 2 years and I'm afraid that might be coming to an end. My logical side of brain will not allow me to buy 1 dvd for $5 when in the past a single dollar more would have procured me another one. I realize your suppliers are probably raising their prices and this has forced your hand. But, it seems that Big Lots is getting away from its roots as a great bargain store to just another run of the mill discounter. Just my opinion, thanks for letting me vent.
Old 12-04-10, 02:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Manzana
Do the $10 TV season sets (the ones that were $6 on BF) have a different SKU than the BF ones? In other words, they changed the SKU rather than just bumped up the price of the old SKU in the computer so if you manage to find a tag that says $6 it will still be $6 instead of $10?
They are different SKUs. The $6.00 ones ring up as "DVD PARAMOUNT BF TV" and are still $6. The $10 ones ring up as "DVD TV MULTIPACKS."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.