Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 11-14-11, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I checked out a few stores recently. In one, I only found one $6 tv set, the Daily Show 2004 Election recap. In the other, I saw a few $6 tv sets, including Twin Peaks season 2 and a season of Melrose Place. I also saw Season 2 of Hawaii Five-0 for $6, which I could never find last year. My sense is that the tv shows coming out now are left over from last year. In some cases, they are sending them out as Black Friday specials and, in other cases, they are dribbling out here or there. I don't think either of the stores I visited recently got a sizable quantity of tv show sets. In one store I went into the back and saw a display of Christmas movies reserved for Black Friday. They had 1 copy of the latest dvd of Its a Wonderful Life, several copies of Elf and the Dennis the Menace Christmas movie with Robert Wagner, and a variety of terrible films like Four Christmases.
Old 11-14-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to Big Lots and looked at every single DVD there. I was able to find The Warner Bros Documentary http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Warne...1292766&sr=8-4. I was surprised to see a lot of Benjamin Button Criterion DVDs for $5.00 that must be the cheapest Criterion I have ever seen; I guess there is no love for that movie.
Old 11-14-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes View Post
I checked out a few stores recently. In one, I only found one $6 tv set, the Daily Show 2004 Election recap. In the other, I saw a few $6 tv sets, including Twin Peaks season 2 and a season of Melrose Place. I also saw Season 2 of Hawaii Five-0 for $6, which I could never find last year. My sense is that the tv shows coming out now are left over from last year. In some cases, they are sending them out as Black Friday specials and, in other cases, they are dribbling out here or there. I don't think either of the stores I visited recently got a sizable quantity of tv show sets. In one store I went into the back and saw a display of Christmas movies reserved for Black Friday. They had 1 copy of the latest dvd of Its a Wonderful Life, several copies of Elf and the Dennis the Menace Christmas movie with Robert Wagner, and a variety of terrible films like Four Christmases.
That was my thought as well. You could look on the receipt and see what it says for the TV purchase to see if it is new stock or leftover stock.
Old 11-14-11, 12:49 PM

which version of Its a wonderful life did you find. Im looking for the 2 disc copy that has the B&W and the color version
Old 11-14-11, 03:41 PM

Puyallup Wa got a few multi film packs:
$6
TCM Classics:Bataan/Back To Bataan/Green Berets/Destination Tokyo
TCM Classics:Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare/Dirty Dozen/Battleground
Wesley Snipes:New Jack City/Boiling Point/Murder At 1600/The Art Of War
Sandra Bullock:Miss Congeniality/Miss Congeniality 2/Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood/Two Weeks Notice
Old 11-14-11, 04:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawerma View Post
which version of Its a wonderful life did you find. Im looking for the 2 disc copy that has the B&W and the color version
Yes its the one that has both versions Color and B&W. Pretty good deal if u ask me.
http://www.amazon.com/Its-Wonderful-...1308215&sr=8-3
Old 11-14-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 View Post
$6
Sandra Bullock:Miss Congeniality/Miss Congeniality 2/Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood/Two Weeks Notice
Note that this version of THE GREEN BERETS is the ONLY anamorphic copy available outside of the Blu Ray. The single release says it's anamorphic but it isn't and never has been.
Old 11-14-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wmhgreen48 View Post
$6
Thanks for posting! Too bad they've raised the TCM 4 film packs from $5 to $6.
Old 11-14-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

What's the price on Wonderful Life?
Old 11-14-11, 09:32 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo View Post
What's the price on Wonderful Life?
It was part of the $5 holiday set that just went out. I think I've only seen one copy of it in Columbus though.
Old 11-14-11, 10:39 PM

I checked out a few stores recently. In one, I only found one $6 tv set, the Daily Show 2004 Election recap. In the other, I saw a few $6 tv sets, including Twin Peaks season 2 and a season of Melrose Place. I also saw Season 2 of Hawaii Five-0 for $6, which I could never find last year. My sense is that the tv shows coming out now are left over from last year.
My local Big Lots still has a couple of Melrose Place Season Four sets from last Christmas; it's a very good season for the show but I'm guessing a serial like this a lot of people don't want to start with a later season. There's also maybe ten other different tv season sets from last year that still have never sold, again I think most of them later years in the shows.
Old 11-17-11, 10:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Got an email with the Thanksgiving Day "1-Day" sale. It has TV shows for $6, but the ones listed are the same titles from last year:
Odd Couple S2
MacGyver S1
JAG S3
CSI S1
Beverly Hills 90210 S1
7th Heaven S3
Old 11-17-11, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Surfinhank View Post
Got an email with the Thanksgiving Day "1-Day" sale. It has TV shows for $6, but the ones listed are the same titles from last year:
Odd Couple S2
MacGyver S1
JAG S3
CSI S1
Beverly Hills 90210 S1
7th Heaven S3
Received the same thing:

Also, if you spend $50 on Thursday, Friday, or Saturday next week you'll receive a $10 rewards coupon!
Old 11-17-11, 12:35 PM

It would make me very happy if Joan of Arcadia season 2 was in this new batch.
Old 11-17-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

I'll just be happy if they get a different assortment than last year as I was able to get all the titles in which I had even a remote interest in purchasing.
Old 11-17-11, 06:15 PM

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

This Thanksgiving, I will spend the entire weekend watching all the unwatched DVD's from Biglots I have purchased these past few years. And I might still need another coupla Thanksgiving weekends to run thru them...so no buying
Old 11-17-11, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Rexxriot View Post
It would make me very happy if Joan of Arcadia season 2 was in this new batch.
Totally agree on them having new titles.
Old 11-17-11, 07:24 PM
g

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Who wants to go there on Thanksgiving day? What a drag.
Old 11-17-11, 07:26 PM

Saw some Disney titles that may have not been mentioned for $3 each: Kronk's New Groove and Hunchback of Notre Dame 2.
Old 11-17-11, 09:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to to the Appleton WI store to be heartbroken again (I'm doubtful I'll find It's a Wonderful Life; my new BL Holy Grail), and was suprised to see they had out some Black Friday DVDs already. $1.88 each in a display that had "Black Friday" all over it.

Nothing too different, but I did find a few I couldn't pass up:

The Great Escape 2-Disc Special Edition
Breakfast at Tiffany's Anniversary Edition
A Fish Called Wanda Collector's Edition
Mean Girls (foolscreen version; but I have never seen a widescreen version remotely close to my $5 max for it, so the sub-$2 one I grabbed will do for now.)

In the next display over, Mean Girls was $5.
Old 11-18-11, 02:06 AM

Been checking the local stores hoping an early assortment of tv sets might be found. Just checked the other day and went back today to find everything the same except about 6 copies of the anniversay Planet of the Apes 2 disc set for $3. I know it wasn't there the last couple of times I was at that store and I've never seen it at any of the 3 local stores.

I have no idea why that would be the only new item to pop up.
Old 11-18-11, 06:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I was concerned about not finding any mention of TV season sets, but remembered that those items will go on sale Thursday.

Anyhow, I've edited the images - the relevant stuff; DVDs and games.

I'm not impressed by the offerings. Feels like more of the same, just cheaper.

-> Information all ready posted online (www.2011blackfridayads.com/biglots/), covering my rear.
Old 11-18-11, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by teameck View Post
Went to to the Appleton WI store to be heartbroken again (I'm doubtful I'll find It's a Wonderful Life; my new BL Holy Grail), and was suprised to see they had out some Black Friday DVDs already. $1.88 each in a display that had "Black Friday" all over it.

Nothing too different, but I did find a few I couldn't pass up:

Mean Girls (foolscreen version; but I have never seen a widescreen version remotely close to my $5 max for it, so the sub-$2 one I grabbed will do for now.)

In the next display over, Mean Girls was $5.
Like many films made since around 1980, Mean Girls was probably shot so that it could be matted for theatrical presentation. As a result, you are probably getting more picture not less by buying the fullscreen. There are not too many truly pan and scan versions of widescreen films that have been released on DVD.
Old 11-18-11, 09:24 AM

It looks like Big Lots has a few different seasons than what I saw last year for $6 of the same old series. I never once saw a 7th Heaven S1... just S9 and a couple others. Those $1.88 deals on Great Escape and Fish Called Wanda are good. I paid way too much for those in the past (and still haven't opened them).

Like many films made since around 1980, Mean Girls was probably shot so that it could be matted for theatrical presentation. As a result, you are probably getting more picture not less by buying the fullscreen. There are not too many truly pan and scan versions of widescreen films that have been released on DVD.
Unless you do a bunch of research online it's hard to know which movies are open matte vs. cropped in pan & scam (fool screen) format, so it's always safest buying widescreen. I know because originally I opted for open matte over widescreen whenever I could find it (I liked seeing more image even if the director didn't intend it), but I discovered it took so much time to research each movie, plus you had a few where you'd see mikes in the shot, so I just decided to save myself time and go widescreen always.
Old 11-18-11, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texan26 View Post
Saw some Disney titles that may have not been mentioned for $3 each: Kronk's New Groove and Hunchback of Notre Dame 2.
Seeing multiple copies of "Strongest Man in the World". Is "Computer Wore Tennis Shoes" showing up as well?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.