DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

rmw650 10-28-11 07:23 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Ace Hunter (Post 10982040)
Picked up the following at the store in Shallotte, NC:

Saturday Night Fever (w/shirt and chain) - $5
Samantha Who seasons 1 and 2 - $3/ea
Enchanted w/ slipcover - $3
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? 2-disc - $5
Mr. Deeds Goes to Town - $3
Commando director's cut - $3
The Memory of a Killer - $3
Educating Rita - $3
SNL in the 80's Lost and Found - $3
Rat Race - $3

Hitting the Wilmington, NC stores tomorrow in hopes of finding Kidnapped, Rustler's Rhapsody, and Mrs. Miniver...

And to this day, I still can't find either volume of Samantha Who and that Crosby set and Mae West and WC FIelds V2 sets. I'm about to give up on all of those. However, at the Niles, IL BL, can't believe that finally have a display case for their 3 and 5 buck movies, and saw Grease with the leather jacket and the disco suit for Saturday Night Fever and Breakfast at Tiffany's, all for 5 bucks and Bloade: Complete Series for 5 as well.

snydar 10-28-11 07:31 PM

Does Kidnapped have an ending that resolves the storyline? It looked interesting and has a good cast. 3$ isn't much but 13 hours of my time is. I would hate to watch it all the way through to find out it has no ending.

Ace Hunter 10-28-11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by snydar (Post 10983653)
Does Kidnapped have an ending that resolves the storyline? It looked interesting and has a good cast. 3$ isn't much but 13 hours of my time is. I would hate to watch it all the way through to find out it has no ending.

Kidnapped does have an ending and it was a REALLY good show. There was a tease of another storyline towards the end which was probably going to be the second season story arc. I'm on the quest to find it, b/c I was ready to pay $20 for it I like it so much.

snydar 10-28-11 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Ace Hunter (Post 10983663)
Kidnapped does have an ending and it was a REALLY good show. There was a tease of another storyline towards the end which was probably going to be the second season story arc. I'm on the quest to find it, b/c I was ready to pay $20 for it I like it so much.

Cool thanbks for the review. I saw one of these at the Longwood FL store. I'll be on the lookout for it now. Also picked up there Southland Tales with Dwayne Johnson and Sarah Michelle Gellar for $3. Haven't seen anyone mention this one.

That'sAllFolks 10-28-11 08:25 PM

I was at my local BL and they put most of the DVDs they had on the floor in the back. I asked a stocker and she said they were preparing for the Holidays.

Speculation: Big Lots may have some good deals on DVDs this BF. I already have a 20% off waiting :)

berigan 10-28-11 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10983646)
And to this day, I still can't find either volume of Samantha Who and that Crosby set and Mae West and WC FIelds V2 sets. I'm about to give up on all of those. However, at the Niles, IL BL, can't believe that finally have a display case for their 3 and 5 buck movies, and saw Grease with the leather jacket and the disco suit for Saturday Night Fever and Breakfast at Tiffany's, all for 5 bucks and Bloade: Complete Series for 5 as well.

Thats a shame about you not finding the Samantha Who s1. I was in the Stockbridge GA store earlier today and they must have had 10 of them! Nothing else really of interest there, looks like they must have sold down a bit....

stevehey 10-29-11 01:37 AM

the south plainfield,n.j. store finally had a major restock.disney(enchanted,return to witch mountain remake,winnine the pooh,jay & bob strike back,samantha who s1&2),$5.(grease,sat. night fever,spiderman 2.1,there will be blood),$3.(the hangover 2 disc,kidnapped,huff s1,little shop of horrors).

i picked up several less common titles from the $3. batch.

the hanoi hilton
when a stranger calls-original '79 version
the adventurers-'70
the brothers warner-documentary
friday the 13th the final chapter-deluxe edition
ren & stimpy the lost episodes-i'd given up on ever finding this @ big lots

Strapped4Cash 10-29-11 02:04 AM

Real life intruded and by the time I could find time it was too late to drive to downtown L.A. (I have a thing about heading into rush hour). So I went to 4 BL that I had hadn't been to lately (in Hawthorne, Redondo Beach, Gardena and the other one in Torrance). All had the $3/$5s set up, some more picked through than others. The 5017 Pacific Coast Highway, Torrance, CA 90505 store was the only one with any new TV shows other than Blade, which I've now seen at all 6 stores I've been to in the last couple of days. The show they had was the Huff Season 1, which seemed worth $3 from the write-ups I'd seen, so I grabbed one and there were two remaining at 5:00 PM today.

All the displays were pretty much the same, but I did notice that each store had a few random titles (usually only one copy of them) that were not to be found anywhere else (at least among my 6 store experience). Those included:

Grease 2
Frantic
Oh! What a Lovely War
Eddie Murphy Raw
Crocodile Dundee
Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles
City of Joy
Plainsman
Brilliant But Cancelled - Crime Dramas (Delvecchio/ Gideon Oliver/ Johnny Staccato/ Touching Evil)
Pan's Labyrinth 2 Disc
The Saint (Val Kilmer)
The Three Stooges - Stop! Look! and Laugh!
The Three Stooges - Cops and Robbers

lostboys323 10-29-11 04:00 AM

Alright I'll be the first to admit I have a dvd problem I recently went on a huge Big Lots dvd spree this month I went to about 10 stores. The following are the stores I went to.

309 West 7th Street Los Angeles, CA 90014
1401 Huntington Drive Suite B South Pasadena, CA 91030
600 East Valley Boulevard Alhambra, CA 91801
7925 Atlantic Avenue Cudahy, CA 90201
1815 West Slauson Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90047
1260 North Lake Avenue Pasadena, CA 91104
9020 Firestone Boulevard Downey, CA 90241
14339 Clark Avenue Bellflower, CA 90706
13241 Whittier Boulevard Whittier, CA 90602
13942 Imperial Highway La Mirada, CA 90638

Here are the titles I picked up:

Pathology
Seventh Moon
The Last House On The Left (1972)
Frantic
The Grudge 2 (Steelbook)
Special Effects
Tropical Thunder (2 Disc Unrated Director's Cut)
FireStarted/Firestarter 2 (Two Movie Collection)
TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Best Picture Winners (Casablanca / Gigi / An American in Paris / Mrs. Miniver)
TCM Greatest Classic Films Collection: Horror (House of Wax 1953 / The Haunting 1963 / Freaks / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde 1941)
The International
Charlie And The Chocolate Factory (2005 2 Disc Set)
Jerry Maguire (2 Disc set)
Memoirs Of A Geisha (2 Disc Set)
Man In The Saddle
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Night Shift
Matchstick Men
The Son's Of Katie Elder/The Shootist
The Out Of Towners
Diabolique
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (The Criterion Collection)
Brokeback Mountain (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
In Harms Way/Donovan's Reef
Road Trip (unrated)
Galactica 1980: The Final Season
Prom Night 3 & 4
The Limits Of Control
High Sierra
Nevada Smith
Gran Torino
The Whole Ten Yards
Little Shop Of Horrors (1986)
In MY Skin
A Lawless Street
Waterhole # 3
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance/ Shane
The Last Winter
The Invisible
The Replacement Killers (Extended Cut)
Cabaret
South Sea Woman
His Majesty Okeefe
3 Godfathers
Without A Paddle
Anacondas Trail Of Blood
Snake In The Eagles Shadow
The Club
Ring Around The Rosie
Anchorman The Legend Of Ron Burgundy (Unrated)
A Series Of Unfortunate Events
Cimarron (1931)
Alien Hunter
Rat Race
Camelot
Zathura
Crocodile Dundee In Los Angeles
The Natural ( 2 Disc Directors Cut)
Harlem Nights ( I love The 80's Edition)
City By The Sea
The Pledge
Spartan
Clash Of The Titans (2010)
Friday The 13th The Final Chapter
Friday The 13th Part 2
Crocodile Dundee 1
Grease (Rockin Rydell Edition)
All The Kings Men (1999)
The Living Daylights (2 Disc Ultimate Edition)
Rescue Dawn
Clueless (Whatever Edition)

It seems like everytime I say Im not going to buy any more movies since Im already running out of room to store them big lots gets new shipments. I guess it's just a habit or hobby call it what you want. Hard to pass up 3 & 5 dollar dvd's. Eventually Im going to stop buying them but Im not sure when that's going to happen. :lol:

Strapped4Cash 10-29-11 04:21 AM

For a whole month? That doesn't seem so bad to me lostboys323. :D

It's probably a longshot, but is there any chance that you might remember which store had "The Whole Ten Yards" and if there were many, or only one or two?

lostboys323 10-29-11 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash (Post 10984113)
For a whole month? That doesn't seem so bad to me lostboys323. :D

It's probably a longshot, but is there any chance that you might remember which store had "The Whole Ten Yards" and if there were many, or only one or two?

Actually Ive seen The Whole Ten Yards In a few stores I remember some of the stores that Ive seen them at. Here are the stores I spotted them at they had a few when I went. 309 West 7th Street Los Angeles, CA 90014,1815 West Slauson Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90047,13942 Imperial Highway La Mirada, CA 90638,600 East Valley Boulevard Alhambra, CA 91801,1401 Huntington Drive Suite B South Pasadena, CA 91030

I would gladly get you a copy if you need one but today on my way to the big lots in pasadena my car broke down on the freeway had to have it towed Im going to take it to the mechanic today to see what the problem is. Hopefully he will be able to fix it so i can continue my dvd spree since it has been put to a halt at the moment. :(

Strapped4Cash 10-29-11 05:13 AM

Thanks very much for getting back to me with the info, and the willingness to help out lostboys323 . Sorry to hear about your car though, I certainly have had that a few times myself. At least it sounds like you're okay. For a couple of weeks not too long ago they were talking in the news about a group who would rob people broken down on the freeway. I'd guess that most people are safe on the side of the road, but you can never be sure.

Good luck to you on your car repairs, hopefully it isn't too bad.

lostboys323 10-29-11 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash (Post 10984122)
Thanks very much for getting back to me with the info, and the willingness to help out lostboys323 . Sorry to hear about your car though, I certainly have had that a few times myself. At least it sounds like you're okay. For a couple of weeks not too long ago they were talking in the news about a group who would rob people broken down on the freeway. I'd guess that most people are safe on the side of the road, but you can never be sure.

Good luck to you on your car repairs, hopefully it isn't too bad.

No problem Strapped4Cash and thanks hopefully when my car is running again I will go on the hunt again. If you want I can keep you posted on here of the dvd's I see when I go to big lots since Im always driving around going to different big lots here in LA or you can just send me a pm when ever you are looking for a title. I can tell you If Ive seen a certain title you are looking for and at what store or I can pick up a copy for you. Always glad to help another dvd hound. Alright Im in the mood for some hammer films so I guess I will go and watch Frankenstein Created Woman. Later Strapped4Cash and good luck with finding that movie.

jimmaxmed 10-29-11 07:33 AM

The Seekonk, Mass. store finally reopened after moving kitty corner across the parking lot to their new location. Along with what everyone else has been mentioning, (Grease, Saturday Night Fever, There Will Be Blood, Gran Torino, etc) here's some that are new to this area...

$3.00
Brothers Warner, The....documentary
Dance Flick: Unrated & Outrageous
Elvis: That's the Way It Is
Flashback
Full Contact
Informers, The
In the Electric Mist
Memory Keepers Daughter, The
Old Man and the Sea, The
Pursuit of Happiness, The
Rustlers' Rhapsody
Huff: The Complete First Season

$5.00
Battlestar Galactica: The Plan
Star Trek: Insurrection
Time Traveler's Wife, The

mike07 10-29-11 12:37 PM

received this e-mail today, not too big of a deal but some may be interested.:

For a limited time, when you spend $50 or more at PARTICIPATING STORES between Oct 30 & Nov 2, you'll get $10 off any additional purchase between Nov 3 - 5.

For a list of participating stores, click here.

Rexxriot 10-29-11 02:16 PM

Today, last day of the 2/$8 sale, I bought:

Underworld (Unrated Extended Cut)
Spider-Man 2.1
Michael Jackson: This Is It (2-Disc Limited Edition)
Lawrence of Arabia (2 disc)
There Will Be Blood (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)

I also saw displays for Christmas DVDs and blu-rays ($8). I think all the Christmas DVDs were $5, but I really didn't pay much attention to price. Also, the one Christmas DVD I got (It's A Wonderful Life (Two-Disc Collector's Set) ) rang up as $5, so it wasn't apart of the 2/$8 sale.

other Christmas DVDs:
Elf
Four Christmases
Eight Crazy Nights
Surviving Christmas
Scrooged
Christmas Miracle at Sage Creek/Country Remedy

Blu-rays:
Rush Hour 3
Speed Racer
Hairspray
others that I can't remember

ProfessorEcho 10-29-11 03:59 PM

Lostboys we should start a local Big Lots network. I get to the Culver City one on occasion as well as the NoHo Vineland and Sherman Way locations. I have another local BL contact from these boards who also hits up these stores and we share want lists. Just an idea.

MooMooMooMoo 10-29-11 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10984453)
Today, last day of the 2/$8 sale, I bought:

Underworld (Unrated Extended Cut)
Spider-Man 2.1
Michael Jackson: This Is It (2-Disc Limited Edition)
Lawrence of Arabia (2 disc)
There Will Be Blood (Two-Disc Special Collector's Edition)

I also saw displays for Christmas DVDs and blu-rays ($8). I think all the Christmas DVDs were $5, but I really didn't pay much attention to price. Also, the one Christmas DVD I got (It's A Wonderful Life (Two-Disc Collector's Set) ) rang up as $5, so it wasn't apart of the 2/$8 sale.

other Christmas DVDs:
Elf
Four Christmases
Eight Crazy Nights
Surviving Christmas
Scrooged
Christmas Miracle at Sage Creek/Country Remedy

Blu-rays:
Rush Hour 3
Speed Racer
Hairspray
others that I can't remember

The "sale" must have ran different dates in different areas. It ended here a couple weeks ago.

MooMooMooMoo 10-29-11 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10984362)
received this e-mail today, not too big of a deal but some may be interested.:

For a limited time, when you spend $50 or more at PARTICIPATING STORES between Oct 30 & Nov 2, you'll get $10 off any additional purchase between Nov 3 - 5.

For a list of participating stores, click here.

Interesting, only 2 Wa state stores are on the list & they are 2 of the busiest. They must want to clear inventory out of those specific stores. Weird.

Rexxriot 10-29-11 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10984672)
The "sale" must have ran different dates in different areas. It ended here a couple weeks ago.

I guess so. I'd be curious to know how that's determined: regional thing or manager's discretion.

paste1999 10-29-11 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ace Hunter (Post 10983663)

I Netflix'd the series and really enjoyed it, but a warning to those that buy it. Don't watch the special feature on the series on the second disc until after you have finished watching the series. It gives away at least one of the plot twists from the last few episodes.

Ace Hunter 10-29-11 11:04 PM

Picked the following up in Wilmington, NC:

$3/ea
Da Vinci Code 2disc set with bonus DVD
Undertow
Texas/Arizona Western double feature
Red Belt
The Queen

JohnnyMovie 10-29-11 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by lostboys323 (Post 10984108)
Night Shift

which case? one with keepcase with different artcover or snapcase?

MooMooMooMoo 10-30-11 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10984701)
I guess so. I'd be curious to know how that's determined: regional thing or manager's discretion.

Me too. I will try to ask 1 of my sources & post back on that.

lostboys323 10-30-11 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10984578)
Lostboys we should start a local Big Lots network. I get to the Culver City one on occasion as well as the NoHo Vineland and Sherman Way locations. I have another local BL contact from these boards who also hits up these stores and we share want lists. Just an idea.

Sounds like a good idea man since Im frequently visiting different big lots every week. I usually go about 4 to even 5 times a week to different locations. It's sad when the cashiers know you by name or even remember your email address instead of scanning your rewards card. :lol: Sounds like a plan dude Im in.