DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

JumpCutz 10-19-11 12:43 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by Balboa1976 (Post 10970897)
Is the sequel to When time ran out, The land that time forgot?

No.

DaveM4964 10-19-11 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Balboa1976 (Post 10970897)
Is the sequel to When time ran out, The land that time forgot? I think they made three or four of these type of movies, really bad special effects.

No, When Time Ran Out is about an overactive volcano on an island. You might be thinking of Land Of The Lost. I think thats's a tv series that Irwin Allen created.

kd5 10-20-11 07:58 AM

Anyone sick of seeing Evening in the bins yet? I swear that must have been the most unsuccessful movie ever made. I got sick of seeing them at one BigLots (more often than not there's no security seal on the top so you have to pull it up to see what it is, and it's most always Evening) so I moved all of them I could find to one side of one free-standing display so I wouldn't have to look at them anymore, there must be 50 of them by now. Anytime I find another, I move it over with the rest of them...:p -kd5-

Texan26 10-20-11 02:34 PM

Next week's ad:

http://specials.biglots.com/BigLots1...b810085_15.jpg

adriano19 10-20-11 04:51 PM

Hi guys,
Does anyone know what kind of Tv Shows can I find at the store in Illinois ?

hilts 10-20-11 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by adriano19 (Post 10972651)
Hi guys,
Does anyone know what kind of Tv Shows can I find at the store in Illinois ?

It's a crapshoot, like every trip to Big Lots. :D Good luck!

MooMooMooMoo 10-21-11 01:24 PM

Oldies.com has a really nice new Warner classics batch, but they are selling them at collector's prices, which may be why BL isn't getting squat.

After posting the above, I took a closer look. Oldies is going for maximizing profits: They opened up Gangster V.4 boxes, called all the discs oop, & are charging more for some of the individual discs than the current wholesale on the entire box!

MooMooMooMoo 10-21-11 01:28 PM

I just did a fairly long post about Washington state, & it disappeared (GRR).

Short version:
$2.50/$4.00 sale is over, at least in Wa.

Kent = 0 this week

Tacoma: Pearl & Bridgeport each got 1 $3 & 1 $5 display. Pretty weak stuff, mostly restocks. $3 Highlights pretty in Pink I love the 80's & Harlem I Love the 80's. $5 Highlights special eds of Saturday Night Fever & Grease wrapped in miniature zippered jackets.

My original post was more thorough, but the site ate it.

That'sAllFolks 10-21-11 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10973743)
Oldies.com has a really nice new Warner classics batch, but they are selling them at collector's prices, which may be why BL isn't getting squat.

After posting the above, I took a closer look. Oldies is going for maximizing profits: They opened up Gangster V.4 boxes, called all the discs oop, & are charging more for some of the individual discs than the current wholesale on the entire box!

Who can blame them? What pisses me off about oldies is their stinginess on the postage. They have "sales" where they offer free postage on order of $75 or more. Pathetic. I used to buy there a couple of times a year, but haven't placed an order with them for almost almost two years, almost entirely because of their postage.

rmw650 10-21-11 04:34 PM

I dealt with Oldies.com for a few months time and they overprice everything as they sent me newspaper-like catalogs of their TV shows and regular films but their shipping is way overboard and their prices aren't anything to write home about. Unless there's something you truly want that might be OOP, then they're your store; otherwise, try elsewhere to get a better deal.

MooMooMooMoo 10-21-11 04:54 PM

There is something wrong with the site today. I also responded to That'sAllFolks's post, & it's the 2nd of my posts that disappeared today.

Mods, any thoughts?

comix8 10-22-11 03:38 PM

One of the Columbus BL stores finally got that haul that included Where the Wild Things Are, Saturday Night Fever and Grease (both the sweater and leather jacket versions). Lots and lots of good new stuff in there, but not only was in new DVDs, but also a brand new stand for them. They were all sitting upright, facing outward, but they were on different levels. They had two, one for the $5 and one for the $3. I didn't have my phone with me or I would have tried to get a picture. Anyone else seen this yet?

berigan 10-22-11 05:03 PM

Comix, yeah just saw that "waterfall" cardboard dump at the Fayetteville Ga store a few days ago...
speaking of that store, man, either I blabbed too much here, or someone who has a store(on top of selling online) came in and bought just about every older movie on DVD. There were about 6-7 of both the Kramer box set and the Harryhausen, all gone. I was hoping to grab one of each yesterday for their grand opening, since I stupidly thought they were tossing in a coupon in my bags, but it was only telling me of the grand opening, and that you can save 20% in the future with their reward card that I have had since the program started! D'Oh! :(

MooMooMooMoo 10-22-11 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by comix8 (Post 10974806)
One of the Columbus BL stores finally got that haul that included Where the Wild Things Are, Saturday Night Fever and Grease (both the sweater and leather jacket versions). Lots and lots of good new stuff in there, but not only was in new DVDs, but also a brand new stand for them. They were all sitting upright, facing outward, but they were on different levels. They had two, one for the $5 and one for the $3. I didn't have my phone with me or I would have tried to get a picture. Anyone else seen this yet?

Yes, part of one of my posts from yesterday that disappeared mentioned these displays. Of the 2 ea I've seen of $3 & $5, the 2 $5's were identical, the 2 $3's had some differing titles.

kd5 10-22-11 08:56 PM

Bought Escape From L.A. and Brendan Fraser's version of Journey To The Center Of The Earth for $3 ea. today. I'd been waiting for Journey... to make the transition from $5 to $3, didn't want to pay $5 for it. Bought the one with 2D/3D versions. -kd5-

Strapped4Cash 10-22-11 10:49 PM

Two days ago I hit a BL and there was nothing new. Yesterday I hit another one and encountered the same. Today I stopped in at a third, "for only a couple of minutes", just in case. Wow! This BL (on Sepulveda in Torrance just off the 110) had both of those new $3 & $5 displays and 6-8 boxes worth of other new/recent titles. Lots of stuff new to me, though some has been mentioned before by others. I was far too overwhelmed to remember a lot of it (especially as I was soon late for dinner), but I did remember seeing:

Blade the Complete TV Series $5
Wonder Woman 2009 Animated Single Disc $3
Bionic Woman 2007 Volume 1 (which is the complete series) $3
Resident Evil: Apocalypse 2-Disc $5
Star Trek 2009 Movie Single Disc $5
Star Trek 2009 Movie 2-Disc $5
GI Joe: Rise of Cobra Single Disc $5
GI Joe: Rise of Cobra 2-Disc $5
Fifth Element Ultimate Edition $5
Leon: Professional 2-Disc Deluxe Edition $5
Days of Thunder $5
Top Gun Full Screen $3
Cave 2005 $3
National Treasure 2-Disc $3
There Will Be Blood 2-Disc $5 (as opposed to the single disc I usually see)
Informers (2008) $3 (this went quite quickly a few weeks ago in Wal-Marts $5 bins)

The following I recall seeing, but not at what price

Hangover Unrated 2-Disc -- Completely Unmarked but the sales person was nice enough to assume it was $5 instead of $3
The Da-Vinci Code 2-pack from the ad on the previous page
Wild Things/Wild Things 2 also from the ad on the previous page
Basic Instinct 2/Single White Female 2 shrunk together
Europtrip Unrated Full Screen
Road Trip Unrated
Krippendorf's Tribe
London (2006)
Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Michael Jackson This Is It
Benjamin Button
Star Trek Nemesis
Across the Universe 2-Disc Deluxe Edition (not the version with the Songbook)
Memoirs of a Geisha (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)
Tropic Thunder (Unrated Director's Cut)
Rudy Deluxe Edition (with CD soundtrack)
Also saw several 2fers for the first time, including, but not limited to, several John Wayne ones.
Also saw two Blu-Rays, one Saw movie (I think the first) and something else

There was much more, some recent, a scant few older, and a lot in-between but that's all that I recall for now. And the sale was over as well, else I could have saved five bucks.

Strapped4Cash 10-22-11 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by skippysgarden (Post 10959976)
I went to the BL on Sepulveda in Torrance this morning, after what Strapped4cash wrote just yesterday, thinking I could pick up some of the two disc-ers like Collateral and was surprised to find just the old stuff that had been there for weeks. This confirms my suspicion that the staff at the store moves displays in and out of the back room on occasion. Either that or someone came by and bought an entire display's worth of stuff. I cannot believe that the 20% off shoppers yesterday cleaned out just the newer stuff

Hi skippsgarden, I'm sorry that I didn't see your post sooner, but today is the first time that I've had anything new to report. It seems like the problem was likely that I was reporting on the BL on PCH in Torrance, as opposed to the BL on Sepulveda in Torrance.

One is at:

5017 Pacific Coast Highway
Torrance, CA 90505
(310) 373-8079

The other is at:

955 Sepulveda Boulevard
Torrance CA 90502
(310) 784-1888

I'm sorry that I didn't make it clearer. The Sepulveda one that you went to has indeed been short on new product, until the report that I just wrote above, based on my experience about 3 hours ago. The PCH location has thinned out their inventory from when I made that report awhile back, but still may have a few items worth checking out, depending on your tastes. Good luck to you if you do go to either store.

schbee 10-23-11 12:08 PM

Saw the new displays, I hit 4 stores and this was the haul, best I have found in a longtime.

Dreamer
Shane
The Thin Blue Lie
All the Presidents Men
We're no Angels (Bogart)
Rhustlers' Rhapsody
Will Penny
The Island at the top of the world
Up in Smoke
5ive (Martini Movie)
Getting Straight (Martini Movie
Starman
Raw
Rat Race
Kidnapped Complete Series
Sorry Wrong Number

skippysgarden 10-23-11 11:15 PM

Not a problem, Strapped4Cash. I was a couple of days ahead of you this time at the Sepulveda/Vermont store and stocked up satisfactorily. Good hunting!

JohnnyMovie 10-23-11 11:17 PM

went to BL yesterday with a nice nice haul there and got:

Goin' South (1978) (plenty of copy)
and The Pink Panther (2006)

saw:

Beerfest (with Unrated but it FS and still waiting WS)
Dog Day Afternoon (snapcase)
Will Penny
I can't recall other but plenty haul there lol.

I see someone mention Escape from LA at BL but want it and can't find one but hopefully getting one next time at BL.

DiscGuy 10-24-11 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by berigan (Post 10974872)
...saw that "waterfall" cardboard dump at the Fayetteville Ga store a few days ago...someone came in and bought just about every older movie on DVD.(

DRAT!!! I don't get to Fayetteville very often but I was planning on making a special trip tomorrow. I'm still looking for several titles including the Centennial Collection version of El Dorado. But if Fayetteville's been seriously picked over, I'll keep looking in other stores.

berigan 10-24-11 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by DiscGuy (Post 10976698)
DRAT!!! I don't get to Fayetteville very often but I was planning on making a special trip tomorrow. I'm still looking for several titles including the Centennial Collection version of El Dorado. But if Fayetteville's been seriously picked over, I'll keep looking in other stores.

Well, I'll let you know if they get more decent titles in...I'm hoping if their dvd sales go way up, they will get more DVDs, more interesting DVD's I should say.

Went to the Griffin BL last night...they had the waterfall dumps, more interesting than what I saw in Fayetteville. Of course, the $5 were not as good as the $3 save for the Blade Complete Series set, The Untouchables, and...well, oh yeah, the Criterion Benjamin Button.

at $3 saw Eddie Murphy Raw (two different covers) 1 copy of Shane,(slightly mangled from being jammed in too tight) 1 copy Mrs Miniver, a few copies of The Strange One (Ben Gazzara 1957) and a few more that I forget....oh wait, no joke, Twin Peaks: The Second Season , about 7 copies at $10. Amazed they can even try to get more than $6 (heck, I even found Season one of Invisible Man and Til Death S1 for $3 at the Fayetteville store a week or so ago) but if they eventually sell them at $10, then good for them!

rmw650 10-24-11 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DiscGuy (Post 10976698)

Discguy,

If my memory is correct, I believe I saw that title at one of our BL here in the neighboring suburbs of Chicago, so let me know if you'd like it and i can pick it up and maybe we can do a trade or something, you tell me. I'll make sure it's there before promising anything to you but know I'll do my best.

rmw650 10-24-11 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by berigan (Post 10977032)
Well, I'll let you know if they get more decent titles in...I'm hoping if their dvd sales go way up, they will get more DVDs, more interesting DVD's I should say.

Went to the Griffin BL last night...they had the waterfall dumps, more interesting than what I saw in Fayetteville. Of course, the $5 were not as good as the $3 save for the Blade Complete Series set, The Untouchables, and...well, oh yeah, the Criterion Benjamin Button.

at $3 saw Eddie Murphy Raw (two different covers) 1 copy of Shane,(slightly mangled from being jammed in too tight) 1 copy Mrs Miniver, a few copies of The Strange One (Ben Gazzara 1957) and a few more that I forget....oh wait, no joke, Twin Peaks: The Second Season , about 7 copies at $10. Amazed they can even try to get more than $6 (heck, I even found Season one of Invisible Man and Til Death S1 for $3 at the Fayetteville store a week or so ago) but if they eventually sell them at $10, then good for them!

WOW! They can't give those Twin Peaks S2 titles away quick enough...had some near me as well.

Surfinhank 10-24-11 06:31 PM

The NoHo store on Vineland Ave has a new display with some of the $5 Paramount titles with various others:

Grease: Rockin' Rydell Edition (sweater and leather jacket versions)
Saturday Night Fever (white suit version)
Blade the Complete TV Series
Star Trek 2009 Movie
GI Joe
Fifth Element: Ultimate Edition
Leon: Professional 2-Disc Deluxe Edition
There Will Be Blood 2-Disc
Breakfast At Tiffany's
Curious Case of Benjamin Button 2-Disc
Lawrence of Arabia 40th Anniversary Edition
What Women Want
Collateral 2-Disc
Blade Runner Final Cut