DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

Rexxriot 10-09-11 06:30 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10958568)
Where did you get that info? I could swear the original email only showed it running for a week. great news!

When I was in the Danvers, MA, store yesterday, I saw the 2/$5 flyer and noticed that the end date was 10/29.

BobO'Link 10-09-11 07:24 PM

^Yep... different store/location but same thing.

MooMooMooMoo 10-09-11 07:36 PM

Really bites that on my big purchase the clerk was going to double dip ($2.50 + 20% off) the discount manually (his idea) & the shift manager stopped him from doing so.

Strapped4Cash 10-09-11 08:48 PM

I had a clerk today who was doing their job a bit too well. I grabbed a $5 title which wasn't worth it to me at that price, but for which I was willing to pay $4 (or $3.20 hopefully). The bar code was so old that it was different from the rest and at the register it actually rang through at $0.00. If the clerk wasn't specifically paying attention then I would have "paid" that price. But they were. I'm not upset, in fairness that's a bit too low, but it sure would have been nice.

I am frustrated at my luck on something else though. There was another title, Jerry Maguire 2-Disc Special Edition which had been a low priority on my Amazon watch list for over 5 years. This week I saw it at the lowest I'd ever have and pulled the trigger. So, of course there were 8-10 of them that had shown up today at BL for almost $3 less.

Strapped4Cash 10-09-11 09:20 PM

I didn't find the titles (like Star Trek 2D) I was most hoping to see, but the BL on PCH in Torrance finally got in (I think) twelve new large boxes and even set up a third DVD display in a different part of the store.

Half a dozen of the Bing Crosby: Screen Legend Collection and 5 of the Across the Universe with Free Song Lyric Book were there about an hour ago.

I also saw for the first time:

Constantine (Two-Disc Special Edition) but only one
Ghost Rider (Two-Disc Special Edition) but only one
Collateral (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Resident Evil Extinction Exclusive Two-Disc Limited Edition only one or two
Memoirs of a Geisha (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition) only two
Tropic Thunder (Unrated Director's Cut) two or three

And lots more that MooMooMooMoo was talking about back on the 5th:

Brokeback Mountain 2-Disc, Old Man & The Sea, TCM 4 pack (Casablanca, Gigi, American in Paris, Mrs Miniver)

Other titles include Road Trip Unrated, Year One (Theatrical & Unrated Edition), NL: Rise of Taj Unrated, Fired Up Theatrical Ed, Orange County, Pan's Labyrinth Single Disc, Michael Clayton, Watchmen Full Screen, Terminator 3 Single Disc

Kevy 10-09-11 10:57 PM

Gresham,OR

$5 ($3.20 each after discount):

Breakfast At Tiffany's
Jerry Maguirre
Michael Jackson This Is It
Days Of Thunder
El Dorado-Hatari Double Feature
In Harms Way-Donovans Reef Double Feature
Sons Of Katy Elder-The Shootitst Double Feature

CritterYawn 10-10-11 02:52 AM

Hands down the best deal was the Stanley Kramer 6-disc box set for $5 ($4 after 20%off). No other valuable titles were in sight (did not overdo the scouring thing).

Manzana 10-10-11 08:47 AM

I went to a different BL yesterday for the 20% off and I bought a lot of stuff, but sadly none of it was DVDs. I went through the DVD section carefully and didn't see a single new title nor a single Disney. I seriously don't think any of the Disney titles made it to any BLs in my area, or if they did somebody bought them all long ago. I didn't see a single title mentioned in the previous couple dozen posts. It was even sadder not to get any DVDs yesterday because I know the $3 DVDs were ringing up at $2 with the 50c + 20% off, but it was the same old stuff I've seen before which I either have, don't want, or have never heard of.

While there I heard someone talking in another aisle saying "You know, every Big Lots store has different stuff so you should go to different ones". I felt like saying "you're right, and I hate having to do that to find something I hear about". I guess our next 20% off won't be until at least January. This was also the first time during a 20% off sale that my store had plastered on every window and even put a sign on the street mentioning the 20% off. Usually they don't announce it very much. In fact, during the last 20% off someone went through without using a 20% off and the cashier didn't say anything. This time the cashiers were asking everyone to make sure they didn't forget the 20% off.

ProfessorEcho 10-10-11 04:15 PM

Madness at the Culver City, CA store yesterday with the sale, but huge restocks of DVDs, including lots of the Disney titles, all the new Paramount titles including the John Wayne doubles, some new WB titles like LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS and a few of the 2 disc titles that have been mentioned. And, of course, at least one copy of FEAR STRIKES OUT in the store that got more copies of this title than any other Big Lots in the universe.

A lot of duplicates of the same titles and very hard to look at everything as they have piled the cardboard trays four high and then people keep laying their mind changing items on top of the highest tray, so I didn't do my usual thorough search and was happy to get out of there asap.

I picked up:

CIMMARON (1931)

THAT MAN BOLT (Blaxploitation with Fred Williamson)

DONOVAN'S REEF/IN HARMS WAY

PANIC IN YEAR ZERO/THE LAST MAN ON EARTH (MGM Midnite Movies/No shrink wrap or price, but got it for $2.00 with the sale)

skippysgarden 10-10-11 06:02 PM

I went to the BL on Sepulveda in Torrance this morning, after what Strapped4cash wrote just yesterday, thinking I could pick up some of the two disc-ers like Collateral and was surprised to find just the old stuff that had been there for weeks. This confirms my suspicion that the staff at the store moves displays in and out of the back room on occasion. Either that or someone came by and bought an entire display's worth of stuff. I cannot believe that the 20% off shoppers yesterday cleaned out just the newer stuff

rmw650 10-10-11 06:47 PM

I went to the Niles, Il and Diversey Avenue locations and at the Niles, IL one, they had Three Stooges Merry Mavericks set and the Twin Peaks S2 and Melrose Place S5 V1 DVDs and a crapload of movies. At the Diversey Avenue store, tons of movies and a few copies of 7th Heaven S8 but I'm still looking for Samantha Who S1 & S2, the Bing Crosby and Mae west sets and now Breakfast at Tiffany's.

MooMooMooMoo 10-10-11 10:09 PM

Yeah, the closest store to me looked like Black Friday, so haven't yet dealt with the Saturday overcharge issue.

ProfessorEcho 10-10-11 11:48 PM

Richard, I heard that the Niles store finally got some restock. My bro picked me up some vintage Warner titles, BIG WEDNESDAY and that GOLDEN AGE OF PIRATES set that I thought was long gone and almost bought for 8 bucks at Amazon just the other day. Can't believe that store finally got some new titles even if they are not new to most Big Lots. Maybe there is hope for the Mae West and Fields sets after all.

seans515 10-11-11 12:53 PM

Got

-Red Eye
-knockaround guys
-Samantha who season 1 (with slip)
-The Love Letter
-The Cardinal
-Goin South

rmw650 10-11-11 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10960423)
Richard, I heard that the Niles store finally got some restock. My bro picked me up some vintage Warner titles, BIG WEDNESDAY and that GOLDEN AGE OF PIRATES set that I thought was long gone and almost bought for 8 bucks at Amazon just the other day. Can't believe that store finally got some new titles even if they are not new to most Big Lots. Maybe there is hope for the Mae West and Fields sets after all.

Glen, I'm not giving up just yet as i hope this and the other stores near me gets some decent stock in and if you come across any of those sets I mentioned out in your area, let me know and maybe we can help one another out with this.

moklerman 10-12-11 02:09 PM

I think one of my local stores must have got some old stuff that was new to me. I recall everyone talking about Yellow and that showed up but also saw What's Happening season 3 for $3, Net & Stacey season 1 for $3 the Omega Man for $3. Also picked up the Strongest Man in the World with Kurt Russel but I saw that mentioned.

JohnIan 10-12-11 10:06 PM

"Omega Man"

Which version; keepsake (regular case) or snapper (cardboard case)?

thetao 10-12-11 10:15 PM

I still visit the local BL every couple weeks, but haven't posted here in a while. Was just there tonight and here are some of the highlights:

Grand Torino
Jerry Maguire Special Edition 2xDVD
Ninja Assassin (gift wrapped!)
Rudy Deluxe Edition (with CD soundtrack)
The Fifth Element Ultimate Edition 2xDVD
Malcolm X (single DVD keep case)
Lawrence of Arabia
True Stories
GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra 2-disk Digital Copy Edition
Philadelphia
Bing Crosby Franchise Collection
8 Mile (widescreen)
American Beauty
Sunset Boulevard Centennial Collection 2xDVD
Curious Case of Benjamin Button 2xDVD (Criterion)
Ghost Town
Bad Boys II 2xDVD
The Killer Tomatoes Eat France

There was just one small box of Halloween DVD's, also new to me. Not sure if my timing was bad, if they sold out, if there are more in the stockroom, or if that's all that arrived. Unlike last year's Halloween batch, none of finds mentioned here this year excited me, so it's no loss. A few of the above got my attention, but I left empty-handed. Guess I've become too discriminating. My last BL purchase was Pleasantville, over a month ago.

hasslein 10-13-11 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by JohnIan (Post 10962960)
"Omega Man"

Which version; keepsake (regular case) or snapper (cardboard case)?

Keepcase but cut out, and I found both versions of artwork, but the newer artwork is the more common one.

Mickactual 10-13-11 09:38 PM

Went to the Clifton NJ store today hoping to score a "Me And Orson Welles" (no luck).
I was very surprised to see they had multiple copies of The Rolling Stones "Shine A Light", as well as Michael Jackson "This Is It".

berigan 10-14-11 03:24 AM

Well, was very disappointed that I couldn't find anything to buy with the 20% coupon last week, but the new, HUGE big lots opened in Fayetteville Ga yesterday(soft opening-Grand opening the 21st) and having all new stock meant some interesting titles! Saw several TV series for $3, Invisible Man s1 , Ned and Stacey , Samantha Who? , Strong Medicine S1 and some others that have shown up before like The Hill (The Hills?) Laguna Beach, etc. More interesting stuff in the $3 than the $5 bin, but some interesting DVDs I haven't seen before like SE Grease DVD with the sweater over it, (several copies) and just one with Jacket and gold chain over the Saturday Night Fever DVD. Never saw them in stores before!
Saw some older WB stuff like Gigi (snapper) Streetcar Named Desire SE about 5-6 of those . Saw one I grabbed probably a year or so ago, Arabian Nights (1942) had a few of these. Breakfast at Tiffany's $5 (ok, that's Paramount I think as is Arabian Nights, well, Universal)

Oh, on the 4 sided rack I found several copies of Ray Harryhausen box set and the Stanley Kramer set $5 of course.
Here are some pics

http://thumbnails52.imagebam.com/153...1153920000.jpg http://thumbnails54.imagebam.com/153...a153920013.jpg http://thumbnails56.imagebam.com/153...5153920033.jpg http://thumbnails27.imagebam.com/153...a153920045.jpg http://thumbnails51.imagebam.com/153...a153920059.jpg http://thumbnails52.imagebam.com/153...a153920079.jpg

Boba Fett 10-14-11 04:04 AM

Picked up a copy of LA Confidential: 2 Disc SE today for $5

I'd love to find that Streetcar Named Desire disc though.

Dining Dead 10-14-11 07:59 AM

My local Big Lots got a shipment of a lot of the good stuff people have mentioned:

Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Criterion
Leon: The Professional - Deluxe Edition
Me and Orson Welles
Red Eye
Rudy - Deluxe Edition
A Streetcar Named Desire - 2-Disc SE
etc.

I remember quite a while back people mentioned seeing Paper Moon (which I really want but never got). Was this ever confirmed? I ask because I saw tons of copies of Pontiac Moon and wondered if there was some confusion.

Rexxriot 10-14-11 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by berigan (Post 10964656)

Is that Where the Wild Things Are next to the TCM collection? Is that a $3 or $5?

berigan 10-14-11 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10964991)
Is that Where the Wild Things Are next to the TCM collection? Is that a $3 or $5?

$5. so new they haven't screwed up the $3 with the $5 yet. ;)