DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

MooMooMooMoo 10-07-11 06:05 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Pearl Street (Tacoma, WA) told me no new dvd's for this coming week.

rmw650 10-07-11 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10955921)
I found the Breakfast at Tiffany's Anniversary in a $5 batch a couple weeks back.

I'm also looking for this specific version of this flick for a good friend of mine, who loves this film.

MooMooMooMoo 10-07-11 09:31 PM

Don't remember which store I found it in, but was definitely Western Wa, likely Puyallup.

Kevy 10-08-11 01:54 AM

Hit 4 stores in Portland,OR and Vancouver,WA region:
(mall 205, gresham, fischers landing, & vancouver mall)

Selection is the worst that it has ever been at all four stores.

I was really hoping to see the batch that has the Jack Nicholson movie
Going South. But did not see any traces of that batch at any of the four.

Picked up two titles at Gresham (both were $3 titles that rang up 2 for $5):

Shane
In The Line Of Fire

If the 2 for $5 is still going Saturday night, the 20% off could yield $2 dvd buying opportunity.
Not too shabby if you are fortunate to have a store nearby that has a decent selection or stuff
that you've been on the fence about.

Vancouver Mall also yielded two $3 titles that rang up 2 for $5:

Will Penny
Cobra

Mr. Reindeer 10-08-11 06:45 PM

with the sale picked up my copy of Benjamin Button-Criterion for $4. I also saw 1 copy of Rambo Blu-ray. That's the most recent installment of the Rambo franchise on Blu for a sticker price of $8, so a little over $6 with the sale. I had no interest in it but its the first Blu-ray I've seen since that NASCAR blu a while back. Location - West Allis. It was on the bottom of a card board pallet, 3 levels deep. Good Luck, massive amount of dvds to look through.

That'sAllFolks 10-08-11 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kevy (Post 10956651)

If the 2 for $5 is still going Saturday night, the 20% off could yield $2 dvd buying opportunity.

I guess they changed the system because it would not let you double-dip on the sales. I was hoping $5 titles would be $3.20 and $3 titles would be $2, but they only rang up 20% off the list. I bought a $10 title and it rang up $8, so I know the discount was working ....

I guess this saves me some money because I would have probably blind-bought a whole lot.

Croissant! 10-08-11 06:55 PM

Today I found two more $5 DVDs I haven't seem mentioned lately, although I think they might have been mentioned in the past: Leon the Professional and The Fifth Element (both 2-disc versions). They seem to be part of the same batch as Benjamin Button.

Rexxriot 10-08-11 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10957254)
I guess they changed the system because it would not let you double-dip on the sales. I was hoping $5 titles would be $3.20 and $3 titles would be $2, but they only rang up 20% off the list. I bought a $10 title and it rang up $8, so I know the discount was working ....

I guess this saves me some money because I would have probably blind-bought a whole lot.

Weird, it worked for me. I bought 8 $5 titles and they all rang up $3.20 and 2 $3 titles rang up $2.

$3 titles
Van Helsing - The London Assignment
Stop Loss

$5 titles
Leon - The Professional (Deluxe Edition)
Collateral (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Bad Boys II (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Van Helsing (Two-Disc Collector's Edition)
Memoirs of a Geisha (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)
L.A. Confidential (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Tropic Thunder (Unrated Director's Cut)
Spider-Man 3 w/mini comic book gift pack

EDIT: Also, I thought I saw a sign that said the 2/$5 sale is until the 29th, so I was planning on checking another store tomorrow.

FilmJunkie29 10-08-11 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks (Post 10957254)

Yeah, same thing happened to me tonight. I had two $5 titles and two $3 titles. When she initially scanned them, they rang up as 2 for $8 and 2 for $5. But then when she scanned my card for the 20% off, it brought them back up to the list price and took the 20% off that. I didn't notice until I got home and looked at the receipt, so it's definitely something to look out for.

Rexxriot 10-08-11 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by FilmJunkie29 (Post 10957304)
Yeah, same thing happened to me tonight. I had two $5 titles and two $3 titles. When she initially scanned them, they rang up as 2 for $8 and 2 for $5. But then when she scanned my card for the 20% off, it brought them back up to the list price and took the 20% off that. I didn't notice until I got home and looked at the receipt, so it's definitely something to look out for.

Hmmmm, I had my card scanned first, so maybe that's why it worked for me.

Strapped4Cash 10-08-11 09:00 PM

Wow. Nice haul Rexxriot, especially at that price.

My local stores have yet to get any of those, at least so far as I've seen. I checked out two stores tonight and didn't find anything I needed, but will try more tomorrow. Best of luck to everyone.

deet 10-08-11 10:51 PM

$3 titles at Clementon, NJ:

Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles
Malcolm X
Hamlet (Mel Gibson)
Red Eye
Primal Fear
A History of Violence
Shine a Light
Addams Family Values
Sabrina (remake)
Over Her Dead Body
Towelhead
GI Joe: Resolute
Bleacher Bums
The Incredible Mr. Limpet
Yes Man
Funny Girl
Rose Red

JohnnyMovie 10-08-11 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by deet (Post 10957474)

Malcolm X
Hamlet (Mel Gibson)
Red Eye
Primal Fear
A History of Violence
Shine a Light
Addams Family Values
Sabrina (remake)
Over Her Dead Body
Towelhead
Bleacher Bums
Yes Man
Funny Girl
Rose Red

oooh thank for head up for Red Eye I will look for that one. also owned A History of Violence at Big Lots for also $3 last year :thumbsup:

Backlog 10-08-11 11:49 PM

Malcolm X
Hamlet (Mel Gibson)
Red Eye
Primal Fear
A History of Violence
Shine a Light
Addams Family Values
Sabrina (remake)
Over Her Dead Body
Towelhead
Bleacher Bums
Yes Man
Funny Girl
Rose Red

Was "Towelhead" new? I've seen previously viewed copies at Big Lots, but never a new one.

MooMooMooMoo 10-09-11 12:53 AM

I ran into a bigger problem: it gave me the dvd's @ 2 for 5 & took nothing off other purchases. Didn't realize this until I got home; I got ripped off a total of $12.60 between 2 stores. As both stores are a bit of a drive, I'm HOPING the BL down the street will refund for them tomorrow.

Report:
72nd Tacoma Wa had more than usual, pretty much the same $3 batch as Kent.

Puyallup Wa had around 6 identical trays, but a different selection than kent. They also had a lot of the non animated Disney left. I found the me & Orson Welles (they only had 3 of that one), & an off 1 off of the Blue Lagoon 2 film which hadn't been around in a couple years at budget price.

Other than Kubrick, Harryhausen, Disney animated & Aresenic & Old Lace Puyallup had pretty much everything discussed here as of late.

2 new to me were Come Back Little Sheba & Nevada Smith at Puyallup & World According To Garp @ 72nd

Interestingly, the clerk at Puyallup expected me to get both discounts. His shift manager told him no, the old sale is over; & of course ironically the only discount i got was the old sale.

What irritates me is that this sort of thing with BL's corporate computer system being f'd up is starting to become a fairly common occurrence. It seems like every time I "earn" a 20% Buzz Club discount, there is a problem with the system honoring it, & I always end up being proven correct after a big hassle.

Great promotions make bad pr when the customer has to go through a headache because of it. How much of a headache i go through is directly proportional to how well I know the clerk when there's a problem (& if the store manager is there).

deet 10-09-11 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Backlog (Post 10957518)
Was "Towelhead" new? I've seen previously viewed copies at Big Lots, but never a new one.

Towelhead was new--it had a purple sticker, if that helps.

SterlingBen 10-09-11 09:50 AM

Well I didn't realize that the 2/5 stacked with the 20% off and so I ended up spending like 19.00 but I was in too much of a rush to pay attention. Oh well, my mid years resolution was to buy less things from Big Lots anyways.

On the plus side $2 DVDs

BambooLounge 10-09-11 10:55 AM

Went to Big Lots about 10-20 mins after they opened and there were already 4 people scouring the DVD section. I managed to snag the following all marked $3:
  • Mac
  • It's All True
  • Lilith
  • 3-Pack with: Ten Benny, Lassie, and that John Kerry Doc

I used the 20% off coupon and when I checked the receipt it said "Deal Discount Amt : -0.50 and Store Coupon 20%: -0.50" so maybe the 2 for 5 was still going on. So, I walked out with 6 DVDs for $8.48 after tax.

I used Lassie and the John Kerry doc as trade-ins at Best Buy to get the $5 Off Coupons to use on Pulp Fiction BD and Straw Dogs BD. A great deal day indeed.

Shinobi 10-09-11 01:40 PM

I hope this one comes to my local store. I've been wanting this for awhile now, but always thought it was too short to pay full price for. I felt the same way about Watchmen - Tales of the Black Freighter, but I happily bought that one this weekend for $2.50. I'll happily pay $3 for Resolute as well.

BobO'Link 10-09-11 02:11 PM

The 2/$5 and 2/$8 is going on until the 29th of October.

BobO'Link 10-09-11 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10957569)
I ran into a bigger problem: it gave me the dvd's @ 2 for 5 & took nothing off other purchases. Didn't realize this until I got home...

Did you make these purchases before 5pm? The 20% off didn't start until 5pm and they would *not* do it earlier. My daughter went in around noon and they told her to come back after 5pm if she wanted the discount. For a change they did it like advertised.

Rexxriot 10-09-11 03:40 PM

Today, I bought way too much stuff. I think I need to stop buying stuff now.

$3 ($2)
Half Nelson
Heavy Metal 2000 (superbit)
Shorts
Wonder Woman
Sunset Boulevard: Centennial Collection
Auto Focus
Kinsey (Two-Disc Special Edition)
Unaccompanied Minors
Ghost Town
Away We Go
The New Centurions
Red Eye
A History of Violence

$5 ($3.20)
Last Chance Harvey (Two-Disc Special Edition with Bonus Featurette)
Octopussy (Two-Disc Ultimate Edition)
For Your Eyes Only (Two-Disc Ultimate Edition)

kd5 10-09-11 04:46 PM

Decided to go to the Big Lots in New Castle to see if they had anything different from what I'm used to seeing around here, they had a few, but nothing I either don't already have, or don't want Full Screen versions of. -kd5-

MooMooMooMoo 10-09-11 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10958070)
Did you make these purchases before 5pm? The 20% off didn't start until 5pm and they would *not* do it earlier. My daughter went in around noon and they told her to come back after 5pm if she wanted the discount. For a change they did it like advertised.

No they were made between 8 & 9 pm Saturday night.

MooMooMooMoo 10-09-11 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10958056)
The 2/$5 and 2/$8 is going on until the 29th of October.

Where did you get that info? I could swear the original email only showed it running for a week. great news!