DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

bigjim25 09-17-11 03:14 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I got the Stanley Kramer set today but I'm going to have to return it. It's missing Guess Who's Coming To Dinner movie disc. I hope they don't give me any trouble when I have to return it. :sad:

Texan26 09-17-11 10:26 AM

I saw a small $3 Halloween batch. It had mostly titles that have previously been seen at Big Lots like The Exorcist sequels/prequels, Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Next Generation, Altered, Hostel, When A Stranger Calls, Exorcism of Emily Rose, Urban Legends- Bloody Mary and a few others.

The batch also included a few that I don't remember seeing at BL like What's New Scooby Doo (The Complete First Season) and The Addams Family Values.

Manzana 09-17-11 12:30 PM

I went to my 2nd closest BL for the first time in a couple months (I was tired of finding nothing so I rarely go). Not only did I not see the Stanley Kramer set I was looking for, I didn't find anything new since the last time, and on top of that they used to have a full DVD tower + 1 table with DVD pallets on it... now they only have a 3/4ths filled tower (the table is gone). So I won't go there again unless they have some BF deals or a 20% off coupon.

I still have another BL to try, but I'm not going to make a special trip to come out empty-handed. Calling any BL is pointless because they are rarely willing to glance at the DVDs to see if they can spot it (especially a big set) because they normally only have 1 (visible) employee in the store who is busy ringing up sales as the line keeps growing. Every once in a while when the line gets truly ridiculous (maybe 10-20 people) they'll call for a backup and you'll discover there's actually a 2nd employee in the store. At least that's how my BL normally is.

darkhawk 09-17-11 03:48 PM

Bought the Stanley Kramer set. Mostly bought it for The Member of the Wedding and Ship of Fools. I can sell my individual discs of The Wild One and The 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T. I can also sell Guess Who's Coming to Dinner since both discs are included.

I'm glad it's the 40th Anniversary of GWCTD. But they could have matched the movie disc's disc art with the others.

laidbacklarkin 09-17-11 04:50 PM

suddenly Stanley Kramer is the hottest director in town...until 2 weeks ago, I didn't even know who he was :-)

rmw650 09-17-11 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25 (Post 10926845)
I got the Stanley Kramer set today but I'm going to have to return it. It's missing Guess Who's Coming To Dinner movie disc. I hope they don't give me any trouble when I have to return it. :sad:

Jim, as long as you have your receipt and it's within the 30 day return cycle, you should be good to go..just let them know you bought the set and a movie was missing from it.

bigjim25 09-17-11 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10927393)
Jim, as long as you have your receipt and it's within the 30 day return cycle, you should be good to go..just let them know you bought the set and a movie was missing from it.

Thanks, I did take it back with no problems. They didn't have anymore so I got my money back. Hopefully some will show up soon.

novaadage 09-18-11 12:48 PM

Went to the Big lots in Sterling VA today and found a 2 disc Steelbook of The Grudge 2 for 3 dollars. It was where the Halloween Decorations were. Seems to be the one from Best Buy as it has a "Best Buy Exclusive Disc".

Manzana 09-18-11 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by novaadage (Post 10927985)
Went to the Big lots in Sterling VA today and found a 2 disc Steelbook of The Grudge 2 for 3 dollars. It was where the Halloween Decorations were. Seems to be the one from Best Buy as it has a "Best Buy Exclusive Disc".

Does the Grudge 2 Limited Edition Steelbook have the same extras as the regular Unrated DVD and just adds a bonus DVD (besides the Steelbook), or does it have fewer extras on the 1st DVD?

It's unclear from the back cover which lists fewer features under DVD Special Features on the Limited Edition and only says "And More!". 10 minutes of Google searching on the Limited Edition yielded absolutely no useful info. I just want to know if getting the Limited Edition Steelbook over the Unrated Edition would lose any extras/special feature content.

kd5 09-18-11 06:01 PM

Went to the Hartville, OH Big Lots and picked up Friday the 13th: Part 2 (I love the 80's Edition, and Returner, for $3 apiece.

Saw that DaVinci Code box set everyone has been talking about for $5, but I already have the 2-Disc WS SE, don't need another (don't care about the toys). They had a couple of Grudge 2 steelbooks there (pretty sure it was $5), and I was tempted but I couldn't bring myself to double dip for that DVD (already have the Unrated Cut). Dammit. -kd5-

novaadage 09-18-11 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana (Post 10928410)
Does the Grudge 2 Limited Edition Steelbook have the same extras as the regular Unrated DVD and just adds a bonus DVD (besides the Steelbook), or does it have fewer extras on the 1st DVD?

It's unclear from the back cover which lists fewer features under DVD Special Features on the Limited Edition and only says "And More!". 10 minutes of Google searching on the Limited Edition yielded absolutely no useful info. I just want to know if getting the Limited Edition Steelbook over the Unrated Edition would lose any extras/special feature content.

I own both versions and the feature discs are identical. The extra disc in the best buy exclusive contains

Webisodes - 10 total (~ 3-4min each)
The Art of Silence - 6:34 min featurette
Extended The Grudge 2 Video Journal- 11:56 min

rmw650 09-18-11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25 (Post 10927533)
Thanks, I did take it back with no problems. They didn't have anymore so I got my money back. Hopefully some will show up soon.

Good to hear Jim. Hopefully they'll show up in their stores again.

byriver50 09-19-11 07:26 AM

Picked up the 1931 version of "Cimarron," which was one of the first movies I ever saw at Big Lots three or four years ago. Glad it's back. Not a western fan for the film history alone, worth it.

Also grabbed the 2-disc "Brokeback." I shook the packaging a little and it seemed solid. Haven't opened it yet.

The Stanley Kramers are definitely a hot item (shades of the WC Fields set I never got), but they still had copies at the Troy and Allbany NY stores yesterday.

wmhgreen48 09-19-11 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by laidbacklarkin (Post 10927312)
suddenly Stanley Kramer is the hottest director in town...until 2 weeks ago, I didn't even know who he was :-)

...and he didn't direct the majority of the films in this package! He was the producer.

Manzana 09-19-11 09:12 AM

I'd never heard of Stanley Kramer until the box set deal on Amazon was first posted. I'd pay $3 for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, and when I heard you could get several other movies (I've never seen) for $2 more, as Doc Brown would say "I figured what the hell". Unfortunately it seems from posts that some stores/areas have none and others have loads of them. Too bad BL couldn't have distributed them a little more evenly across the country.

Originally Posted by novaadage (Post 10928519)
I own both versions and the feature discs are identical. The extra disc in the best buy exclusive contains

Webisodes - 10 total (~ 3-4min each)
The Art of Silence - 6:34 min featurette
Extended The Grudge 2 Video Journal- 11:56 min

Thanks so much for the info on The Grudge 2 LE! When I fail to find the answer on Google or DVD-Basen reviews, it's nice that often someone on DVD Talk knows the answer!

wmhgreen48 09-19-11 01:47 PM

"Halloween" trays ($3) at Puyallup WA include:

Grudge (Both theatrical & unrated)
Grudge 2 (Steelbook)
John Carpenter's Vampires (Superbit)
Pet Sematary
Primal Fear (Richard Gere)
In The Line Of Fire (Clint Eastwood)
The Messengers
Rest Stop 2
Addams Family Values (New cover)
Candyman SE

ProfessorEcho 09-19-11 01:50 PM

First chance I've had to update, but did FINALLY see some new stock at the execrable Niles, IL store last Friday. Most of the Columbia triple features, two 3disc BLACKHAWK DOWN sets, one Harryhausen set and one Kramer set after my bro bought his.

jwstl 09-19-11 02:33 PM

Which Harryhausen set has been appearing at Big Lots?

Rexxriot 09-19-11 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by jwstl (Post 10929795)
Which Harryhausen set has been appearing at Big Lots?

This one.

ryan458 09-19-11 03:33 PM

Is it my imagination or is it that only a single Harryhausen set gets delivered to each store?
I have seen only one copy at each store I have gone to recently whereas the other boxes are appearing in higher numbers. It is quite the anomaly.

MooMooMooMoo 09-19-11 04:14 PM

Puyallup, Wa had at least 3 last week, possibly more. That store seems to get more than any other store I am aware of within 50 miles though.

PopcornBandit 09-19-11 04:15 PM

That may be true. I went to three Big Lots on Saturday and picked up the only copy at the first one. I only saw one copy at the other two stores too.

comix8 09-19-11 09:07 PM

I bought one of three copies of the Harryhausen when I picked it up. And I saw a few copies of it this afternoon when I finally tracked down another copy of the Brokeback set. I found 6 copies of that one and all looked to be in good shape. Guess I just started out with a bad batch.

Mickactual 09-20-11 12:07 AM

Had no luck with the W.C. or Mae sets, but today I struck gold at the S. Plainfield NJ store & found the Brokeback CE and the Kramer box.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/q...alk/BL9-19.jpg

PS - the store had multiple copies of each for anyone interested.

LJG765 09-20-11 01:26 PM

Just got back from my local Big Lots, E.C., WI, and it had most of these sets and a few more that I don't recall seeing posted. It had all the horror ones (not my interest so didn't look at individual titles), several of the Harryhausen set, several of the Stanley Kramer set, 2 Da Vinci Code box sets, plus several of a Barbra Streisand set with Funny Girl and Funny Lady and several Adam Sandler comedy sets. I think I'm missing one more, but can't remember what it was.

I also saw a handful of blus for the first time. Right on the register counter, starting at $8 bucks. StarGate the Movie and Roadhouse combo pack are the 2 I remember seeing, but there were about 4 or 5 other titles.