DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

joe_b 09-13-11 01:46 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Just curious: To those who picked up the 2-Disc Metropolis anime, did the special features come on a mini DVD? I'd never seen one of these used by a major studio before. The copy I picked up was the only one (out of 5) that had a sticker on the front advertising a "first time ever POCKET DVD!".

BobO'Link 09-13-11 03:03 AM

^Yes. I've never seen this used for DVD and found it odd as the CD version of the mini-disk was abandoned years ago as being somewhat impractical and unuseable on many systems. If your player is a slot loader or is side-mounted it's a glorified coaster.

ryan458 09-13-11 06:17 AM

I would think those adapters that click around a 3" cd would work for these as well but i have no experience in such matters. Just a suggestion.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10921766)
^Yes. I've never seen this used for DVD and found it odd as the CD version of the mini-disk was abandoned years ago as being somewhat impractical and unuseable on many systems. If your player is a slot loader or is side-mounted it's a glorified coaster.

wmhgreen48 09-13-11 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10918401)
I was surprised to find all the new $5 triple features today. I picked up The Da Vinci Code (Special Edition Giftset) and the Ray Harryhausen set. I would have gotten the Stanley Kramer Collection, but I just bought it on Amazon for $7.23.

Some of the other sets:
Ice Cube (XXX: State of the Union / Anaconda / Ghosts of Mars)
Cameron Diaz (Charlie's Angels / My Best Friend's Wedding / The Sweetest Thing)
Julia Roberts (My Best Friend's Wedding/Stepmom/Mona Lisa Smile)
Martin Lawrence (Bad Boys/National Security/Blue Streak)
Football box set (Rudy/Radio/Jerry Maguire)
Funny Girl/Funny Lady
Desperado/Once Upon A Time In Mexico

There were probably some others, but I can't remember what.

Spotted all these at the Puyallup WA store. Also saw the Bill Murray (Ghostbusters/Groundhog Day/Stripes)

BobO'Link 09-13-11 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by ryan458 (Post 10921807)
I would think those adapters that click around a 3" cd would work for these as well but i have no experience in such matters. Just a suggestion.

I have a couple of those I got with some CD singles years back but I'd never put one in a slot loader. Those things are dangerous enough without added complexity.

DouglasRobert 09-14-11 12:22 PM

Also saw for $5 a set called The Mob Box which contains the following movies.
Donnie Brasco, Snatch, Bugsy and The American Gangster

Rexxriot 09-14-11 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert (Post 10923436)
Also saw for $5 a set called The Mob Box which contains the following movies.
Donnie Brasco, Snatch, Bugsy and The American Gangster

That's not bad. They previously had it for $15.

MooMooMooMoo 09-14-11 08:16 PM

Puyallup Wa got a LARGE quantity of the previously mentioned $5 batch.

Kent, Wa got a small quantity of the $5's, & 4 identical trays of $3 titles. Mostly restock; highlights of the $3 trays were Mr Limpett, a 2 disc Brokeback Mt, Free Willy & a Jack Nicholson title I'm not familiar with called Goin' South. All 4 trays were identical & quite weak.

Also had a frustrating experience: My first purchase of the day qualified me for a 20% discount on the next one. Due to an unknown bug in the system, attempted purchase #2 at the 2nd store did not get the discount. The manager who I know well, was not in the store at the time, & while the store called their corporate "help desk", the hd did not answer & did not call the store back. BL online shows I do currently qualify for a 20% discount, AND I have 1 additional qualifying purchase towards the next 10.

Frustrating.

comix8 09-15-11 12:04 PM

The good news is I finally found a copy of the Stanley Kramer set. It finally showed up here in Columbus.

The bad news is all of the copies of the 2-disc Brokeback Mountain appear to be sold out. A warning to everyone -- make sure the packaging looks good on the disc. I bought one that I thought looked okay, but after I opened it up, the plastic tray that holds the discs is cracked and broken and is just in terrible shape. Tried to return it two days later, but they were already out of the other copies, so it looks like I'm stuck with it.

mike07 09-15-11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by comix8 (Post 10924667)
The bad news is all of the copies of the 2-disc Brokeback Mountain appear to be sold out. A warning to everyone -- make sure the packaging looks good on the disc. I bought one that I thought looked okay, but after I opened it up, the plastic tray that holds the discs is cracked and broken and is just in terrible shape. Tried to return it two days later, but they were already out of the other copies, so it looks like I'm stuck with it.

Did you check a different store for a replacement? You don't have to return to the same store you bought it at for an exchange.

MScottM 09-15-11 02:57 PM

I saw 4 or 5 copies of the Kramer set ($5) in the Waldorf Md location last evening.

Texan26 09-15-11 03:59 PM

The multi-packs are in next week's ad:

http://specials.biglots.com/BigLots0.../b800018_4.jpg

AdamGott 09-15-11 05:18 PM

The Stanley Kramer box set has made it to Idaho Falls, ID.

g 09-15-11 08:10 PM

Saw only 1 Stanley Kramer set at multiple stores. Picked it up as an extra along with the Jack Nicholson set and Towelhead and John Wayne triple movie set.

comix8 09-15-11 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10924892)
Did you check a different store for a replacement? You don't have to return to the same store you bought it at for an exchange.

Yep, I've been to four or five Big Lots stores in the past week and haven't seen it anywhere else yet.

MooMooMooMoo 09-15-11 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by comix8 (Post 10924667)

There were 3 in each of the trays I saw at Kent; I suspect that's probably how they're sending them all out as all 4 trays were 100% identical.

JohnIan 09-15-11 11:52 PM

Stanley Kramer box is now at the San Bernardino, CA store.

ProfessorEcho 09-16-11 11:18 AM

Moo, GOIN' SOUTH is a not very funny comedy western that has lots of patented Nicholson mugging. There are some humorous moments, but overall it's pretty trite. It did introduce Mary Steenburgen however.

MooMooMooMoo 09-16-11 12:51 PM

Pearl Street Tacoma Wa got a small batch of weak horror titles for halloween. $3.00, nothing that really stuck with me.

I was also given bad info last week on the $5 batch; they did get it & still have all the titles left, though they're down to 1 Streisand & I think only 1 or 2 on Harryhausen. There are several Kramers left.

ghetto_journo 09-16-11 04:52 PM

A couple weeks ago, I bought "Milk", "The Good German", "The Great Ziegfeld", "Bruno", "Syriana" and "Auto Focus" for $3 each.

Stuff that I saw and want: "The Life of Emile Zola/I Am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang" $6, "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (2-Disc)" $3 and "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" $3.

undecided 09-16-11 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10923467)
That's not bad. They previously had it for $15.

Which is how much I paid for it. Ack! Still a good deal, though. Most of those movies would be more expensive elsewhere. I didn't care for Bugsy, but Donnie Brasco and Snatch were worth it to me. I still haven't gotten around to watching "American Gangster" yet.
I should make note for anyone out there who might be interested in that set: The "American Gangster" included is not the Denzel Washington movie; it's just a documentary about gangsters in America.

ernestrp 09-16-11 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10926034)
Moo, GOIN' SOUTH is a not very funny comedy western that has lots of patented Nicholson mugging. There are some humorous moments, but overall it's pretty trite. It did introduce Mary Steenburgen however.

I thought GOIN' SOUTH was great.

Surfinhank 09-16-11 09:09 PM

Went to the NoHo store on Vineland today... nothing new. In fact, they've condensed the DVD section somewhat. That can't be good.

terrycloth 09-16-11 09:25 PM

went to big lots yesterday in Middletown, NY and they had a large amount of stanley kramer sets and the da vinci code box set if anyones looking for them in the tristate area

Johnny Zhivago 09-16-11 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo (Post 10925551)
There were 3 in each of the trays I saw at Kent; I suspect that's probably how they're sending them all out as all 4 trays were 100% identical.

Same here (Lexington, KY)... I picked one up - first DVD movie purchase in over a year - because it had "stuff" with it. I'm a sucker for junk I guess (passed on the Da Vinci Code box though - junky junk). But yeah, 3 per tray.

Haven't checked it to see if it is busted... Don't really care. :shrug: