DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

MooMooMooMoo 09-04-11 11:56 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
I hate to admit it, but I'm not even bothering with the $2.50 sale this time around. I know the stores near me don't have jack at the moment, & I don't have the time for a road trip to the bigger stores that are around 25 miles away (in 2 different directions) as nothing really exciting has been posted here as of late.

kd5 09-05-11 07:55 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
To anyone who's seen it: Would you buy Dungeons & Dragons (the 1st one), WS, for $3 if you saw it at Big Lots? All the reviews I see say that movie sucked. I bought it, still unopened, tempted to take it back. Was it really that bad???

While it got only 2.5 stars at Amazon, so did Eragon, and my wife & I both thought that movie was pretty good. Of course neither of us had read the books, nor have either of us ever played 'Dungeons & Dragons', so neither of us had/has any pre-conceived notions of either movie. I'm wondering if the books/games fanboys are the only reason these movies got poor reviews...:shrug: -kd5-

MooMooMooMoo 09-06-11 03:23 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
I ended up hitting Bridgeport (Tacoma WA) as I was in the neighborhood right before closing Mon PM. Manager on duty said they had gotten 4 trays which they put out on Sun AM for the sale & were picked through. The 3 sided fixture was full for the first time in weeks, but weak titles. best remaining were Free Willy & a couple John Wayne's. .

drmar35mm 09-06-11 08:49 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
I haven't been to either of my available Big Lots in 4-5 months. I keep waiting to hear about interesting titles in the system--from the posters here--but nothing yet that warrants the cruddy drive across town in heavy traffic. I'm just waiting until something good appears. Hopefully we'll have another good Black Friday, like last year.

Manzana 09-06-11 10:38 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by drmar35mm (Post 10913358)
I haven't been to either of my available Big Lots in 4-5 months. I keep waiting to hear about interesting titles in the system--from the posters here--but nothing yet that warrants the cruddy drive across town in heavy traffic. I'm just waiting until something good appears. Hopefully we'll have another good Black Friday, like last year.

Same here. I'm not sure how many months for me, but I'll guess my last trip was early June. Unlike you, I have 4 Big Lots along my commute path to work and each is just 1 mile off the freeway. Yesterday I drove right past one knowing they had the 4 for $10 DVDs, but I didn't stop precisely because I didn't find anything new or interesting the last few times I went prior to that, and I haven't seen anyone post anything new, so why waste my time on a longshot? So I'm in the waiting mode like you are hoping they have something for Black Friday. Otherwise the only times I go to Big Lots is when they have a 20% off coupon (2-3 times per year) to buy other stuff. If I'm there I always give all the DVDs a once over (usually takes me about 15 minutes). I used to buy so much from them but like most stores over time the good deals seem to slowly fade away.

ryan458 09-06-11 02:14 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
For those fainthearted dvd fans who have given up on finding anything at Big Lots be sure to check out the Flying J/Pilot truck stop dump bins.
I just saw Invaders,Mannix,Becker,What's Happening,That's My Mama,Good Times,Streets of San Francisco and many more.


http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...uck-stops.html

JiM T 09-06-11 02:25 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10912422)
To anyone who's seen it: Would you buy Dungeons & Dragons (the 1st one), WS, for $3 if you saw it at Big Lots? All the reviews I see say that movie sucked. I bought it, still unopened, tempted to take it back. Was it really that bad???

Unfortunately, yes, that movie truly does horribly suck. It's a big stinking pile of Dragon poo. I saw it in the theater, unaware, and was miserably disappointed.

starman9000 09-06-11 02:59 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I saw it in theater too, which was about the only time I've been to a show where heckling actually made it enjoyable.


Then again, for $3, I'd say just check it out. :p

kd5 09-06-11 03:14 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by JiM T (Post 10913715)
Unfortunately, yes, that movie truly does horribly suck. It's a big stinking pile of Dragon poo. I saw it in the theater, unaware, and was miserably disappointed.

Out of curiosity, was the reason you didn't like it because it didn't resemble the game? That seems to be the general consensus among the people that reviewed this movie who are Dungeons & Dragons fans. Did you also not particularly care for Eragon? Again, I'm just curious. -kd5-

rmw650 09-06-11 09:01 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by ryan458 (Post 10913695)
For those fainthearted dvd fans who have given up on finding anything at Big Lots be sure to check out the Flying J/Pilot truck stop dump bins.
I just saw Invaders,Mannix,Becker,What's Happening,That's My Mama,Good Times,Streets of San Francisco and many more.


http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...uck-stops.html

Those places are tricky to find if you're not on the highway thugh. A GPS could be your best friend in locating them while driving along the interstate.

ryan458 09-08-11 05:29 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
You are right about them being along interstates,thug (no h in thug,homey heh heh)

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10914128)
Those places are tricky to find if you're not on the highway thugh. A GPS could be your best friend in locating them while driving along the interstate.


rmw650 09-08-11 06:02 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
I hear ya Ryan. Stopped at a few last night along the Indiana interstates and found nothing there. Maybe there's more of them in Michigan or in other states, but in IL and IN, nada!

boc4ever 09-08-11 07:58 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Picked up Party of Five, the Box, Get Shorty and Watchman Animated, all for $3 each at the Kennett Square, PA store.

ryan458 09-08-11 09:25 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
The bulk of them can be found in the dump bin but be sure to look on the shelves in the aisles as well. A couple i went to had hardly any in the dump bin but when i checked the aisle shelves i found they stocked the majority of the tv shows there.

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10916413)
I hear ya Ryan. Stopped at a few last night along the Indiana interstates and found nothing there. Maybe there's more of them in Michigan or in other states, but in IL and IN, nada!


ryan458 09-08-11 10:48 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Btw..Michigan boasts a whopping 10 locations. Illinois on the other hand has around 30 and Indiana offers over 30 more.
http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Lo...ions_List.aspx


Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10916413)
I hear ya Ryan. Stopped at a few last night along the Indiana interstates and found nothing there. Maybe there's more of them in Michigan or in other states, but in IL and IN, nada!


JiM T 09-09-11 01:22 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10913768)
Out of curiosity, was the reason you didn't like it because it didn't resemble the game? That seems to be the general consensus among the people that reviewed this movie who are Dungeons & Dragons fans. Did you also not particularly care for Eragon? Again, I'm just curious. -kd5-

Haven't seen "Eragon", but "D&D" is simply a truly poor film. I've played the game in my life, but have no real love for it. By the time the movie came around, I probably hadn't thought much about the game in years - I was just looking for a good movie. No dice (twelve sided or otherwise).

kd5 09-09-11 08:39 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Thanks JiM T, the reason I asked about Eragon is that it got the same 2 stars at Amazon that D&D got, had the same reviews from the same type people comparing it to the book (vs. D&D & the game), but I thought Eragon was actually a pretty good movie. I wondered about that, if I thought a 2 star Eragon was a good movie, would I also think a 2 star D&D is good as well.

I know I'm making kind of a big deal out of a $3 movie, but I hate adding duds to my collection. If it's really as bad as all that I'd just as soon take it back next time I go to Big Lots and get my money back as add it to my collection. -kd5-

Manzana 09-09-11 10:29 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
My 2 cents. I've never seen D&D so can't comment on that, but if I'm remembering right I saw Mazes and Monsters (with a very young Tom Hanks) which had poor reviews and I thought that was OK. I also liked Eragon and think it's worth $3, but I haven't bought it yet as I want the BD for under $5. We all know the saying "one man's garbage is another man's treasure". I could name off plenty of highly rated games I hated and several hated games I love, but for the majority of things I agree with most reviews.

I still haven't made it into a Big Lots for a while. And as there are none of those truck stops where I live, that's not an option either. I've got such a movie backlog that I'm not unhappy that for the last couple months I've had absolutely no reason to go to Big Lots or Ross. It saves me time and money. I'll keep waiting until people say there's a batch of worthwhile stuff (or there's a 20% off sale).

ProfessorEcho 09-09-11 01:16 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by kd5 (Post 10917068)

I know I'm making kind of a big deal out of a $3 movie, but I hate adding duds to my collection.

I'm the same way, out of necessity these days as I just don't have the shelf space to add any duds and just have them sit there until I get around to watching them or disposing of them.

I recently picked up a fairly good indie horror film called WENDIGO for 99 cents, but now am not sure I would ever want to watch it again and really don't need it cluttering up what little shelf space I have left. So it's impulse purchases like that, i.e. buying something just because it's cheap, that I am going to have curtail.

tsetse27 09-09-11 04:05 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Just went to my local BL. Very surprise to find copies of Stanley Kramer collection for $5!

They also has other Colombia three-movies collection set for $5.

Cabbage 09-09-11 04:14 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Found one copy of a Ray Harryhausen 3-movie set for $5. It contained the original single-disc releases of "Earth vs. the Flying Saucers", "20 Million Miles To Earth" and "It Came From Beneath The Sea". The Heath, Ohio BL also had a 3-disc Adam Sandler release featuring "Mr. Deeds", 'Big Daddy" and "50 First Dates".

ReelFlick 09-09-11 05:38 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Finally found "CAMILLE" today. It contains two versions: the 1937 Garbo versions and the 1921 silent Metro version featuring Rudolph Valentino. Quite a vintage find!

rmw650 09-09-11 06:23 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10917349)
I'm the same way, out of necessity these days as I just don't have the shelf space to add any duds and just have them sit there until I get around to watching them or disposing of them.

I recently picked up a fairly good indie horror film called WENDIGO for 99 cents, but now am not sure I would ever want to watch it again and really don't need it cluttering up what little shelf space I have left. So it's impulse purchases like that, i.e. buying something just because it's cheap, that I am going to have curtail.

Glen, have you been to that BL craphole in Niles recently? Anything new or should I just save myself the trip from going there?

rmw650 09-09-11 06:25 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by ryan458 (Post 10916793)
Btw..Michigan boasts a whopping 10 locations. Illinois on the other hand has around 30 and Indiana offers over 30 more.
http://www.pilottravelcenters.com/Lo...ions_List.aspx

And yet, the few Michigan ones have the better slection than those two states combined...go figure.

berigan 09-09-11 11:33 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Anyone near the fayetteville Ga big lots, they have gone down to 50% off already! Still have a few hundred dvds, but not the most exciting stuff in the world. I did see 2 brown bunny's and 2 of the ultra rare Twin Peaks! ;)
The store is already half cleared out, amazing....


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.