Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Old 11-24-10, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Originally Posted by GMan2819 View Post
The 5 hour sale is tied to the rewards account and could be targeted.
Mine didn't work either. Had a manager override the 5.00 titles to 3.00
Old 11-24-10, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Camden, SC Big Lots has a few good sets. Picked up Melrose Place season 2, Zoey 101 season 1, the Rugrats Holiday set, Mommy Dearest, and Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned.

They also had Sabrina season 1, Caroline in the City season 1, Friday the 13th season 2, Love Boat season volume 2, and Joan of Arcadia season 1.
Old 11-24-10, 08:26 PM

I found the TV sets in Boynton Beach Fl today. All 10 of the boxes were nearly identical with one exception. I foung one copy of Jag Season 5. I also saw Wild Wild West, and CSI Miami Season 2. I believe I was the first one to see these boxes. They all looked like they had 18 sets total in them.

In the Greenacres store, several days prior, I saw 4 Star Trek Borg sets ( I got one ) I also picked up CSI seasons 3 and 7, along with John Stewart 2004. It looked to me like these two stores got completely different sets of DVDs.
Old 11-24-10, 10:19 PM
Cool New Member

Today I picked up The Beverly Hillbillies S2, and for $3 each: Hardcore(1979 Paul Schrader Film), The Sea Inside, The Anniversay Party, and The Dead Zone(Cronenberg Film).
Old 11-24-10, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

I hit the sale at the 2 BL's closest to me. I was surprised to see that both stores still had pretty much all the higher quality titles from the $5 Paramount batch. Really only title of interest both were out of was Mommy Dearest, which fortunately i grabbed for $5 last week.
Old 11-24-10, 11:29 PM

I was able to pick up Stella today but it was the only box set I saw and it was grouped in with all the Nickelodeon dvds.
Old 11-24-10, 11:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich is Poor View Post
Today I picked up The Beverly Hillbillies S2, and for $3 each: Hardcore(1979 Paul Schrader Film), The Sea Inside, The Anniversay Party, and The Dead Zone(Cronenberg Film).

Which store was this? Any other TV sets?
Old 11-25-10, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
Mine didn't work either. Had a manager override the 5.00 titles to 3.00
Same with me. I had called and talked to someone at my store who confirmed the $5 movies were 4 for $12 at 5 PM, so I showed up a little after, found 8, used my Rewards card, and it didn't work. The cashier who knew nothing of this sale called someone who fortunately knew about it (maybe the person I spoke to) who said to override them to $3 each. I don't know if their system just wasn't working or it was a targeted promotion and they (and I) didn't know that. On the positive side, with a PM I can return any I change my mind on without losing the discount on the others (unlike a Best Deny combo/promo deal where it's all or nothing). On the negative side, the only store I had time to go to had a pretty wimpy $5 selection... not quite 2 of those cardboard trays. I've seen other stores with up to 4 trays of $5 selections.
Old 11-25-10, 12:15 AM

Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

My local store had $5 Nickalodeon cartoons, $9 4 Film Favorites (Stephen King at least), and $5 or $6 movies. I swear I may never walk into a Big Lots again after seeing that (until Black Friday).
Old 11-25-10, 12:49 AM

I fear the pallet of $6 Nickolodeon stuff will clog space for a long time. ON the plus side, new $3 stuff is showing up - Saw "Old Gringo" . Also, got 12 $5 flicks I wanted for $3.
Old 11-25-10, 12:54 AM
Cool New Member

The Laurel Canyon location had the Tv box sets. There were about 10 to 12 boxes, however each box contained the same titles. Saw several CSI sets, The Hills S1, The Hills S2, Streets of San Francisco (S1v2 I believe), Cheers S3, and a few more. No Friday The 13th S2 which I was looking for. I went towards closing time and the boxes were hardly touched. The set-up is not by the other dvds but on a shelf display in front of their "electronic" section.

Last edited by Rich is Poor; 11-25-10 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 01:32 AM

Add these to the pg 1 list

Star Trek Fan Collective - Captains Log
The Fugitive - S1v2
Dynasty - S3v1
Streets of San Francisco - S2v1
7th Heaven - S9
Old 11-25-10, 01:51 AM

The Laurel Canyon location had the Tv box sets. There were about 10 to 12 boxes, however each box contained the same titles. Saw several CSI sets, The Hills S1, The Hills S2, Streets of San Francisco (S1v2 I believe), Cheers S3, and a few more. No Friday The 13th S2 which I was looking for. I went towards closing time and the boxes were hardly touched. The set-up is not by the other dvds but on a shelf display in front of their "electronic" section.
And nothing downtown on 7th. Vineland still had a few barricaded behind a closed check stand. Sherman Way had no signs of any. La Canada had empty boxes except for a Dynasty, Fugitive, and Gunsmoke.
Old 11-25-10, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hardcore(1979 Paul Schrader Film)
I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one.
Old 11-25-10, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
Same with me. I had called and talked to someone at my store who confirmed the $5 movies were 4 for $12 at 5 PM, so I showed up a little after, found 8, used my Rewards card, and it didn't work. The cashier who knew nothing of this sale called someone who fortunately knew about it (maybe the person I spoke to) who said to override them to $3 each. I don't know if their system just wasn't working or it was a targeted promotion and they (and I) didn't know that. On the positive side, with a PM I can return any I change my mind on without losing the discount on the others (unlike a Best Deny combo/promo deal where it's all or nothing). On the negative side, the only store I had time to go to had a pretty wimpy $5 selection... not quite 2 of those cardboard trays. I've seen other stores with up to 4 trays of $5 selections.
Every promotion at BL that had buy x, get for $xx.xx will allow you to return individual titles for the pro-rated price.

BTW, do you think there will be long lines at BL for these box sets. How early are you people getting there for this sale.
Old 11-25-10, 10:05 AM
ADP

Originally Posted by kthnxbai View Post
The Camden, SC Big Lots has a few good sets. Picked up Melrose Place season 2, Zoey 101 season 1, the Rugrats Holiday set, Mommy Dearest, and Village of the Damned/Children of the Damned.

They also had Sabrina season 1, Caroline in the City season 1, Friday the 13th season 2, Love Boat season volume 2, and Joan of Arcadia season 1.

Any signs of Macgyver, Wild Wild West, Rawhide, or JAG?

I'll probably hit the ones near Myrtle Beach tomorrow
Old 11-25-10, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks View Post
BTW, do you think there will be long lines at BL for these box sets. How early are you people getting there for this sale.
I absolutely expect long lines at the door (probably 50-100 people deep) by the time they open! How early do you have to get to be near the front of the line? No idea since I've never been to a BL at open (though I might have a chance this year. The $6 TV season sets are on the front page of BL's ad and a lot of DVD Talkers know about this. However, I'm going in knowing I'll be disappointed given that I know my closest store put everything out early and has nothing I want (I got what I wanted) unless they got a stealth shipment recently, my next closest store has a mediocre selection with about a dozen boxes of the same stuff, and the furthest away store has the best selection and maybe 18 boxes total. Those will not last long.

So, the people at the front of the line outside will run from the door to the $6 sets and unless there is a guardian and/or they enforce 1 title per customer I wouldn't be surprised to see some "flippers" merely empty the entire 18-item cardboard trays into their shopping carts before anyone else gets there (especially given that trays have 18 different sets). Will they put out all of their trays at once (that would help by letting 50+ people try to grab onto 18 x 12 titles at once instead of just 18 titles) or will they bring out 1 18-item box at a time and make the rest wait in line as they bring out each box? I don't know. Either way I expect it to be chaos and to come back (nearly) empty handed, and I won't be going to my closest store. I'm sure there will be plenty of copies of the unpopular titles left afterwards. This is why I'm not making BL a priority. If I make it there, I'll see what happens. Too few good titles are at any of my stores (and I've confirmed none of them have any Family Ties seasons) to justify much effort.

Once again (for those who have read this far)... please grab Family Ties (especially S4) and Sabrina S1-S3 even if you don't want them. I'll be wanting to trade some of the stuff I grabbed earlier for those and others, and I'm sure others will be interested in trades too. Remember you have until January to return anything extra for a refund.
Old 11-25-10, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by ADP View Post
Any signs of Macgyver, Wild Wild West, Rawhide, or JAG?

I'll probably hit the ones near Myrtle Beach tomorrow
I didn't see any of those. The Camden location said they probably weren't getting anything new aside from Star Trek.
Old 11-25-10, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Manzana View Post
The $6 TV season sets are on the front page of BL's ad and a lot of DVD Talkers know about this.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some "flippers" merely empty the entire 18-item cardboard trays into their shopping carts before anyone else gets there (especially given that trays have 18 different sets).
I hope you are wrong.

The only good thing about that is that prices on the secondary market will probably plummet. If it is really rare, it may recover, but oftentimes it could take years before they make any real money. I've already checked the prices on several sets in the list and they are going for around $11 at Amazon MP. I expect this price to drop even further, sometimes to the point that the flippers only make a dollar or so after fees and postage.

I could be wrong, but I expect that most DVD Talkers will not be at BL when it opens. My local BL had sets for almost a day until a friend and me cleared them out. It's a good deal, but with everything else being on sale, these sets are probably a low priority for most people. I will be getting there early, just not as early as I originally intended due to to unforeseen circumstances.
Old 11-25-10, 12:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. Went this morning and here's what I saw:
CSI S7
CSI NY S3
CSI Miami S2 & S4
Bosom Buddies S1
The Fugitive S1 V2
Melrose Place S5 V1 & 2
Gomer Pyle S5
Mission Impossible S5
7th Heaven S9
Beverly Hillbillies S2
Twin Peaks S2
Perry Mason S3 V1
Streets of SF S2 V1
The Hills
Odd Couple S5
Laverne & Shirley S2
Melrose Place S3

They had about 10 or 15 of the shelf units and every one had the same titles, so there's plenty left if you want to check it out. I did grab a few extras for the exchange forum.
Old 11-25-10, 01:01 PM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
I'm going to have to keep an eye out for this one.
Originally Posted by George C. Scott in Hardcore
"TURN IT OFF!!! FOR GOD'S SAKE, TURN IT OFF!!!!"
Great movie! Looks like I'm going to have to fall off the wagon after 3 and a half weeks with no Big Lots. I really was not interested in any of the TV sets, so I thought I would make it into December, but I have to look for this one. Also, a question about The Dead Zone: is it widescreen/anamorphic? I think I have an old copy but I'm pretty sure is fullscreen.
Old 11-25-10, 01:01 PM

Found a classic comedy pack - first 8 episodes of I love Jeannie, Bewitched, Gidget and Partrigdge family for $8. These are the first episodes. great fun.. only saw one copy.
Old 11-25-10, 01:52 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Quatermass View Post
Also, a question about The Dead Zone: is it widescreen/anamorphic? I think I have an old copy but I'm pretty sure is fullscreen.
The version I found was the Special Collector's Edition, Widescreen.
Old 11-25-10, 03:46 PM

I'm kind of tempted to go tonight before they close and hope the TV sets are out.
Old 11-25-10, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by rdf8585 View Post
I'm kind of tempted to go tonight before they close and hope the TV sets are out.
I've been thinking of doing the same. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.