DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

ProfessorEcho 08-21-11 12:50 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by Rich is Poor (Post 10895141)
Picked up today for $3
The Champ (1979)

I just heard on the radio the other day that a decades long scientific study concluded that this film ranks as "the saddest movie ever made." Why any scientists were studying this or even knew about this movie, which was pretty much of a flop back in the day, is anyone's guess.

Went to the Niles, IL BL yesterday and the months old crap has no new crap to keep it company. The time is fast approaching where BL corporate will have to pay ME in order to shop there.

banthafett 08-21-11 01:42 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10896035)
The one with Jeffrey Dean Morgan? I'd buy that for $3. Much better than the A-Team movie.


Yep, and it had the rewards points in it to.

mike07 08-21-11 02:17 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
This week's ad shows a 2-day special this Friday 8/26 & Saturday 8/27
$5 DVDs will be 2/$8; saving you $2 (or 20%) when you buy 2.

rmw650 08-21-11 04:33 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho (Post 10896369)
I just heard on the radio the other day that a decades long scientific study concluded that this film ranks as "the saddest movie ever made." Why any scientists were studying this or even knew about this movie, which was pretty much of a flop back in the day, is anyone's guess.

Went to the Niles, IL BL yesterday and the months old crap has no new crap to keep it company. The time is fast approaching where BL corporate will have to pay ME in order to shop there.

Glen, no surprise there, that's for sure. That place/locale sucks!

Surfinhank 08-24-11 09:46 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
The NoHo store on Vineland Av got some new titles in, $3 and $5 ones. Nothing that stood out, mostly the same ole stuff. What I remember seeing:

John Wayne triple feature (Big Stampede, Ride Him Cowboy, Haunted Gold)
Hannibal (2 disc)
Hoosiers (basketball cover)
Moonstruck
Bull Durham
Lars and the Real Girl
Juno
Marie Antionette
Joe Vs the Volcano
Get Carter (Stallone)
Malcolm X
Into the Blue 2

Cabbage 08-25-11 08:39 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by Surfinhank (Post 10900528)
The NoHo store on Vineland Av got some new titles in, $3 and $5 ones. Nothing that stood out, mostly the same ole stuff. What I remember seeing:

John Wayne triple feature (Big Stampede, Ride Him Cowboy, Haunted Gold)
Hannibal (2 disc)
Hoosiers (basketball cover)
Moonstruck
Bull Durham
Lars and the Real Girl
Juno
Marie Antionette
Joe Vs the Volcano
Get Carter (Stallone)
Malcolm X
Into the Blue 2



Saw much of the same stock yesterday at a BL in Heath, Ohio. I did find Greta Garbo's "Camille" WB DVD which also features the 1921 silent version as well.
Plus, I saw Universal's "Pirates of the Golden Age" collection featuring "Against All Flags" w/ Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara, "Buccaneer's Girl" w/Yvonne De Carlo, "Yankee Buccaneer" w/ Jeff Chandler and "Double Crossbones", a spoof with Donald O'Connor. A good deal...4 movies for $3.

laidbacklarkin 08-25-11 12:45 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
here's another strategy for those looking to load up...keep watching out for gohastings used movies list. many of these Biglots titles go in there..from people that realized they may not be keepers. and then when you find a FS code, load up on the title for no more than a buck. Suddenly titles at Biglots at $3 seem a lot expensive, specially when used BD's can now be found in that price range. Of course, there are exceptions, am referring mostly to the blind buys

ProfessorEcho 08-25-11 01:14 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Great buys on the CAMILLE double feature and the UNIVERSAL pirate set. Definitely would love the latter, but those Universal sets are sketchy with Big Lots. I never did find the Mae West or W.C. Fields sets.

Kguy1326 08-25-11 01:21 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
From the new Big Lots in Pickerington, OH that just opened up last weekend, I picked up the following:

Children of The Corn (Original 1984 version Anchor Bay release) $3
Hellraiser (Anchor Bay old release) $3
Spawn - Director's Cut $5
New Jack City 2 Disc special edition $5
The Wild Bunch 2 disc director's cut $5
Dawn of The Dead/Land of The Dead unrated 2 movie collection $5

Also noticed:
Club Paradise $3
Purple Rain (1 disc) $3
and quite a few others already mentioned previously.

greylocke5 08-25-11 03:51 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
I visited the Woodbridge, VA store this morning for the first time in several weeks.

I bought Children of the Corn, Fast Food Nation, and Dave for $3. Also got the 3-disc Black Hawk Down for $5 (I have the one disc regular release - but the extras alone on this deluxe set are worth the $5, IMO).

I also saw two copies of the Mae West set and two copies of the W.C. Fields comedy collection (Vol. 2) for $5. I already own them but believe me - they are both a steal at that price.

I also saw the Bing Crosby and Marlo Brando sets - one copy of each. They also had the Wild Bunch 2-disc and Hoosiers basketball package and many other titles recently mentioned herein.

That'sAllFolks 08-25-11 05:29 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Also saw:
Free Enterprise - $5
Poison Ivy - $3
A Knight's Tale EE - $3
Reel Paradise/Lassie WS/Typhoon - $3
Til Death S1 - $3
Any Given Sunday DC Oliver Stone Collection - $3

I've been picking up the Star Trek TOS singles when I see them also. Got #22 today.

Though I know Mae West and WC Fields have been in the Houston area, the Big Lots near me either sold out really quick (I'm there twice a week) or never got them. So I'm hoping my local BL has them somewhere buried in the back. This year 2 big shipments that I thought never made it to my local BL were put out months after everyone else saw them, so I'm still hoping.

rmw650 08-25-11 06:56 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by greylocke5 (Post 10901398)
I visited the Woodbridge, VA store this morning for the first time in several weeks.

I bought Children of the Corn, Fast Food Nation, and Dave for $3. Also got the 3-disc Black Hawk Down for $5 (I have the one disc regular release - but the extras alone on this deluxe set are worth the $5, IMO).

I also saw two copies of the Mae West set and two copies of the W.C. Fields comedy collection (Vol. 2) for $5. I already own them but believe me - they are both a steal at that price.

I also saw the Bing Crosby and Marlo Brando sets - one copy of each. They also had the Wild Bunch 2-disc and Hoosiers basketball package and many other titles recently mentioned herein.

I definitely want the first three sets you mentioned as I can't find those anywhere here in Illinois. Just a pain to locate them.

berigan 08-26-11 12:53 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by Cabbage (Post 10900847)
Saw much of the same stock yesterday at a BL in Heath, Ohio. I did find Greta Garbo's "Camille" WB DVD which also features the 1921 silent version as well.
Plus, I saw Universal's "Pirates of the Golden Age" collection featuring "Against All Flags" w/ Errol Flynn and Maureen O'Hara, "Buccaneer's Girl" w/Yvonne De Carlo, "Yankee Buccaneer" w/ Jeff Chandler and "Double Crossbones", a spoof with Donald O'Connor. A good deal...4 movies for $3.

I never even heard of the Pirates of the Golden Age set, til a friend game me the films...I have heard good things about Against All Flags, but the only film I have watched so far was Buccaneer's Girl...wow! Sure it's silly, but Lilian Munster was really a babe at one time, and the Technicolor is breathtaking! Shame most people never had a chance to grab the set in stores...never saw it at a B&N, Borders, Best Buy...

berigan 08-26-11 12:58 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by rmw650 (Post 10901581)
I definitely want the first three sets you mentioned as I can't find those anywhere here in Illinois. Just a pain to locate them.

I hit 4-5 BL's in and around Atlanta looking for the WC Fields set...couldn't find it...then since I was close to the Union City BL, I went in, not expecting anything, and they had 3 copies! (this was months ago, anyone in Atlanta) I wonder if Humans fill the boxes, or not...likely they don't care if one store gets say 12 + copies of Andy Milonakis Show (as is the case at the big Lots in Fayetteville right now) and a store near you doesn't....

Buy the way, not anything I find too exciting, but the big lots in Fayetteville is moving to a bigger store, and they are treating the present store like a going out of business sale. Everything's 20% off right now...

MooMooMooMoo 08-26-11 01:36 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
There's rumors that they're also looking for larger locations for all 3 Tacoma, Wa stores.

ProfessorEcho 08-26-11 12:31 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
If anyone can pick up the MAE WEST, FIELDS and PIRATE sets for me @cost + tax + shipping, please let me know. I've given up hope of ever finding them.:brickwl:

DiscGuy 08-26-11 03:43 PM

Atlanta area updates appreciated -- Columbia S.C. has lots of inventory
 

Originally Posted by berigan (Post 10901891)
...the big lots in Fayetteville is moving to a bigger store, and they are treating the present store like a going out of business sale. Everything's 20% off right now...

I am also located in the Atlanta area and visit a lot of the same stores you seem to: mostly the South side. I don't get out as quickly as you do so I appreciate your updates. Please keep up your reports. I saw those "Directors" series DVDs you spoted in the Stockbridge store and picked up a few. But I had not heard that the Fayetteville store was being relocated. The last time I was there was on the -20% Family and Friends day. How far away will the new store be? They are not combining this with the Riverdale store, are they?

Finally, I took a trip to Columbia, SC last week hoping to check out 5-6 Big Lots. I only got to three (3) stores...all on the West side. I was swamped by the amount of inventory these stores had. One store had five (5) displays that hold the four (4) trays. Three (3) of the displays were stacked two (2) high. That's 32 trays! Plus the wire rack was stuffed! I found a few old treasures...my biggest find was a double-sided (widescreen/fullscreen) copy of Cable Guy. Still looking for a double-sided Hideaway.

I'll be checking headed down I-85 in about a week. I plan to stop at the Big Lots in Union City, Newnan, and LaGrange. If I see anything interesting, I'll let you know.

ReelFlick 08-26-11 04:12 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Not sure if anyone posted this, but I just found "PETE KELLY'S BLUES" for $5. It has a fantastic jazz music track with some legends playing.

deet 08-26-11 04:39 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
New $3 purple tag titles at the Franklin Mills, Pa location:

Sparkle
Hearts in Atlantis
Her Alibi
Full Contact
Boys on the Side
Born on the Fourth of July
The American President
Poison Ivy
The Hitcher (remake, widescreen)
One Missed Call
Marie Antoinette
Caddyshack II
Frost/Nixon
Stealth
Punch-Drunk Love (two-disc)
3 Godfathers
The Cowboys
Hairspray (remake, widescreen)
Friday the 13th (original, I Love the 80's packaging)
The Brave One
Knockaround Guys
Listen Up: The Lives of Quincy Jones
Exorcist II
Love Jones
Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Dog Day Afternoon

Older $5 titles:
Free Enterprise
Hoosiers
Spawn
Spread
Notorious (two-disc)
The Namesake
Moonstruck
Robocop (2001 barebones release)

The Cherry Hill, NJ store had a subset of those $3 titles, with two noteworthy additions: Party of Five Season 1 and The Great Ziegfeld. Also had Casablanca, but it was the old fullscreen DVD.

Rexxriot 08-26-11 08:54 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by deet (Post 10902604)
Older $5 titles:
Notorious (two-disc)

I'm assuming that's the Biggie Smalls biopic, which should be a three discs. I don't think the Hitchcock film had any multi-disc releases, but correct me if I'm wrong.

deet 08-26-11 10:28 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by Rexxriot (Post 10902865)
I'm assuming that's the Biggie Smalls biopic, which should be a three discs.

It is, but I could've sworn I saw "digital copy" on the cover. It did have the same cover as the single-disc--definitely not the the three-disc release.

Undeadcow 08-26-11 10:44 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Has anyone seen the widescreen edition of The Brave One? All I can seem to find in Austin, TX area is fullscreen.

MooMooMooMoo 08-26-11 11:22 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 
Nothing new at Pearl St Tacoma, WA. I totally forgot about the sale on the $5 dvd's. Probably nothing left worth getting, but I should hit the local stores tomorrow.

berigan 08-27-11 12:47 AM

Re: Atlanta area updates appreciated -- Columbia S.C. has lots of inventory
 

Originally Posted by DiscGuy (Post 10902546)
I am also located in the Atlanta area and visit a lot of the same stores you seem to: mostly the South side. I don't get out as quickly as you do so I appreciate your updates. Please keep up your reports. I saw those "Directors" series DVDs you spoted in the Stockbridge store and picked up a few. But I had not heard that the Fayetteville store was being relocated. The last time I was there was on the -20% Family and Friends day. How far away will the new store be? They are not combining this with the Riverdale store, are they?

Finally, I took a trip to Columbia, SC last week hoping to check out 5-6 Big Lots. I only got to three (3) stores...all on the West side. I was swamped by the amount of inventory these stores had. One store had five (5) displays that hold the four (4) trays. Three (3) of the displays were stacked two (2) high. That's 32 trays! Plus the wire rack was stuffed! I found a few old treasures...my biggest find was a double-sided (widescreen/fullscreen) copy of Cable Guy. Still looking for a double-sided Hideaway.

I'll be checking headed down I-85 in about a week. I plan to stop at the Big Lots in Union City, Newnan, and LaGrange. If I see anything interesting, I'll let you know.


Hey, glad someone is reading my posts! ;)
The Fayetteville store did have some of the director's titles, sorry I don't recall which ones...
That store is going to move down the road into the Fayetteville Pavilion...then down almost all the way down on the right,(about a half mile in) right next to HH Gregg. 2 miles away from the older location, I would say? A brand new Wendys is at the front of the Pavilion, if you need a landmark. I've been told it will open mid Oct. but that the other one will likely close mid Sept! :(

My old car gets TERRIBLE mileage, so if can tell me if those other stores seem to have a huge supply (Never know with them, Union city will be great for a month or so, then they will have almost nothing!) that would be great! :)

deet 08-27-11 12:54 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)
 

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 10902958)
Has anyone seen the widescreen edition of The Brave One? All I can seem to find in Austin, TX area is fullscreen.

The latest batch has it in widescreen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.