DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

That'sAllFolks 08-11-11 10:11 AM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

Also: Traffic Miniseries (which is 1.79 + 2.98 on Amazon MP)

the Sting is the old FULL SCREEN version.

Another month of nothing much at Big Lots.

JoeDoakes 08-12-11 02:10 PM

After over two years at looking at BL for it, I finally saw 2 copies of Return of the Vampire in a big new display with largely retreads. In the classic area, they also had A Lawless Street with Randolph Scott and Mrs. Miniver (called "Mr. Miniver" by the white security tape on top). Finally, they had one copy of a $3 The Great Zigfield, which was a floater. Does anyone have experience buying floaters? How much of a risk are they?

boc4ever 08-12-11 03:21 PM

I keep hoping copies of Lost Highway will re-surface.

mike07 08-12-11 07:24 PM

Next week's ad features "NEW $3 TITLES" and some $5 titles...
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...7/6f8901d5.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...7/612d8ada.jpg

Pretty much the same stuff I've seen there before, but with the recent reports of a large display arriving at some stores I'll still check it out one day next week.

Also, if anyone on here is interested they're advertising new DS ($13.88) & Wii ($18.88) games arriving next week as well.

TerryW 08-12-11 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes (Post 10887353)
After over two years at looking at BL for it, I finally saw 2 copies of Return of the Vampire in a big new display with largely retreads. In the classic area, they also had A Lawless Street with Randolph Scott and Mrs. Miniver (called "Mr. Miniver" by the white security tape on top). Finally, they had one copy of a $3 The Great Zigfield, which was a floater. Does anyone have experience buying floaters? How much of a risk are they?

Whenever I find a DVD floater, I always put it back because there's usually another copy around the corner at another store and DVD's can really get scratched up. Blu-ray's can survive much better. I received a Criterion BD floater from BN.com and opened it up and there wasn't a single mark on it!

I found all of those titles already that you mentioned but if I were looking for something for a long time at BL and then came across a floater I would probably grab it anyway for a safety copy in case no other came along.

You can also request the titles in the trade thread.

MooMooMooMoo 08-12-11 08:27 PM

Pearl St, Tacoma, Wa got the new $5 batch. I BELIEVE it came in today. Already pretty picked over.

Surfinhank 08-12-11 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 (Post 10887647)
Next week's ad features "NEW $3 TITLES" and some $5 titles...
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...7/6f8901d5.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...7/612d8ada.jpg

Pretty much the same stuff I've seen there before, but with the recent reports of a large display arriving at some stores I'll still check it out one day next week.

Also, if anyone on here is interested they're advertising new DS ($13.88) & Wii ($18.88) games arriving next week as well.

Just saw some of the "new" $3 titles. Same old stuff we've seen before, here's what I remember:

Great Ziegfield
Friday the 13th (I Love the 80s)
Fracture (fullscreen)
Punch Drunk Love
Brokeback Mountain
In Good Company

BobO'Link 08-13-11 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes (Post 10887353)

I'd give it a shot. I've received some in the mail and purchased some at BL that did not have a single scratch. On the other hand, I purchased one at BL that was so scratched it wouldn't play (it was in a keep-case FWIW), but in all fairness it was in rough shape on the outside as well. While I typically avoid "floaters" I'll take a chance at BL if it's a title I want and there's only one copy. However, I open it as soon as I get home and if there are scratches I'll play it. If it hangs/skips it goes back. So far I've picked up about a half dozen "floaters" and only 1 was bad enough to return.

boc4ever 08-13-11 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link (Post 10887924)
I'd give it a shot. I've received some in the mail and purchased some at BL that did not have a single scratch. On the other hand, I purchased one at BL that was so scratched it wouldn't play (it was in a keep-case FWIW), but in all fairness it was in rough shape on the outside as well. While I typically avoid "floaters" I'll take a chance at BL if it's a title I want and there's only one copy. However, I open it as soon as I get home and if there are scratches I'll play it. If it hangs/skips it goes back. So far I've picked up about a half dozen "floaters" and only 1 was bad enough to return.

I wish I could be more like you. My OCD won't allow that to happen. If I see scratches and they don't disappear when I tilt the disc in different directions, I take it back/send it back. A lot of my stuff sits on the shelf "forever" and I worry that by the time I get to watch it, it will freeze and not play through.

Texan26 08-13-11 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank (Post 10887728)
Just saw some of the "new" $3 titles. Same old stuff we've seen before, here's what I remember:

Great Ziegfield
Friday the 13th (I Love the 80s)
Fracture (fullscreen)
Punch Drunk Love
Brokeback Mountain
In Good Company

I saw this new batch also. It also included Friday the 13th Part II (I love the 80s), The Box (Cameron Diaz), Malcolm X, Back to Bataan. Nothing major.

DeepSleep 08-13-11 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Texan26 (Post 10888025)
I saw this new batch also. It also included Friday the 13th Part II (I love the 80s), The Box (Cameron Diaz), Malcolm X, Back to Bataan. Nothing major.

Saw the same batch. They also had 3 Godfathers (John Wayne western).

ReelFlick 08-13-11 12:57 PM

Finally found THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, director John Schlesinger's brilliant 1975 drama about Hollywood decadence back in the late 1930's. It's among my favorites about Hollywood----and in widescreen at only $3.00!

wdavetex 08-13-11 02:49 PM

I've bought a few floaters, and not had any problems, plus you could take them back if you do.
I saw the Friday the 13th
3 Godfathers
The Cowboys--John Wayne
Malcolm X
and others already mentioned

MooMooMooMoo 08-13-11 05:28 PM

Pearl also got in 1 $3 tray. Nothing exciting, the previously mentioned John Wayne titles are probably the best in the batch.

ProfessorEcho 08-14-11 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by ReelFlick (Post 10888128)
Finally found THE DAY OF THE LOCUST, director John Schlesinger's brilliant 1975 drama about Hollywood decadence back in the late 1930's. It's among my favorites about Hollywood----and in widescreen at only $3.00!

I've been searching in vain for this one at BL for months now. Glad you found a copy!

Rexxriot 08-14-11 03:05 PM

Today I picked up for $5 each:

Marlon Brando - The Franchise Collection
Mae West - The Glamour Collection
The Aviator (Two-Disc Widescreen Edition)

I also saw Last Chance Harvey (Two-Disc Special Edition with Bonus Featurette) for $5 as well, but passed on it.

Emma311 08-17-11 11:31 PM

I've been seeing PV TV shows at our SW PA store recently. Secret Diary of a Call Girl season 1 & Lucky Louie caught my eye, both were $6. I had seen most of the $3 DVDs before, The Informant and Demolition Man were new to our store though.

Randy Miller III 08-18-11 10:37 AM

Saw a few copies of "Party of Five: Season 1" for $3, grabbed one for my wife.
May have been posted here before, but I was surprised to see a boxed set at that price.
Made me think of that WB avalanche from awhile back... :)

Nate the Great 08-18-11 12:35 PM

I hadn't hit up a BL in quite some time, but I got lost in a town with one on Tuesday, so I ducked in and picked up the following:

Watchmen: Tales of the Black Freighter
Get Shorty (2 disc)
Man for All Seasons
Many Deaths of Ian Stone

...at $3 each. The Get Shorty was to replace my earlier issued copy; Black Freighter was an impulse buy; Seasons was because I'm a sucker for a British medieval period film FOR NO EXPLAINABLE REASON WHATSOEVER!; and Ian Stone was Stan Winston's final horror work before his death. Almost made getting lost worth it.

rmw650 08-18-11 05:17 PM

I'd like to see more TV shows popping up in those stores once again, as well as that WC Fields and mae West and Crosby collection you guys have been finding there as of late. Still nothing at my end.

Rich is Poor 08-19-11 07:51 PM

Picked up today for $3
The Champ (1979)

2 movies for $6
Fury (1936 Spender Tracy)/Lady Killer

Saw
The Barkleys of Broadway/Shall We Dance
House of Wax (Vincent Price)/House on Haunted Hill(Vincent Price)
Other People's Money/Analyze That (Full Screen)
Several John Wayne Two Packs
and about 5 or 6 other two sets that I can't remember.

berigan 08-20-11 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rich is Poor (Post 10895141)
Picked up today for $3
The Champ (1979)

2 movies for $6
Fury (1936 Spender Tracy)/Lady Killer

Saw
The Barkleys of Broadway/Shall We Dance
House of Wax (Vincent Price)/House on Haunted Hill(Vincent Price)
Other People's Money/Analyze That (Full Screen)
Several John Wayne Two Packs
and about 5 or 6 other two sets that I can't remember.

Lady Killer with James Cagney?? Hope it shows up in the south!

banthafett 08-20-11 07:40 PM

All $3-

The Losers- was really surprised to see this one there and for 3 bucks.
Clay Pigeons
Knockaround Guys
Spiral
An American Haunting.

Rich is Poor 08-20-11 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by berigan (Post 10895878)
Lady Killer with James Cagney?? Hope it shows up in the south!

Yeah, that's the one.

Also, found a $5 batch at another store.

Moonstruck
Hoosiers (2-disc collection)
Lars and the Real Girl
Rescue Dawn

Rexxriot 08-20-11 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by banthafett (Post 10895975)
All $3-

The Losers- was really surprised to see this one there and for 3 bucks.

The one with Jeffrey Dean Morgan? I'd buy that for $3. Much better than the A-Team movie.