DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Bargains (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains-1/)
-   -   Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargains/582101-big-lots-part-9-list-your-finds-here-no-trades.html)

skippysgarden 05-19-11 11:38 PM

Re: Big Lots Part 9 - List your FINDS here (NO trades)

I really do not think that anyone is fooled by any sticker that BL uses. The ones I have seen generally have Previously Viewed stickers fairly prominently at the lower left front and quite distinct from the price tag. As for special features, all of the PV TV seasons I have purchased from BL (for six bucks, for crying out loud) have had all the special features - gag reels, making of featurettes, etc - that I have found in store bought sets. So while I appreciate the considerable detail in the previous message, I suspect DiscGuy is talking to the wrong audience.

MooMooMooMoo 05-20-11 12:15 AM

Don't know if anyone else bought the BL Rental version of Slumdog Millionaire a few months ago, but mine looked brand new & unplayed.

DiscGuy 05-20-11 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by skippysgarden (Post 10781165)
I really do not think that anyone is fooled by any sticker that BL uses. The ones I have seen generally have Previously Viewed stickers fairly prominently at the lower left front and quite distinct from the price tag.

Yep! I've seen the Big Lot DVDs with the "Previously Viewed" stickers placed in the lower left corner. Those are regular consumer DVDs, the same you could buy anywhere, that have been rented and repackaged. I have purchased several. These are not the problem. What I'm talking about is something different.

The new DVDs that I am warning about are also previously viewed and repackaged. But it is the product itself that is the issue. These are NOT consumer DVDs. These are specially authored DVDs with missing content. Anyone whose been inside a Blockbuster store might be familiar with these. The cases say "RENTAL" across the bottom of the cover 1" high. This is meant to alert the informed consumer that this DVD is different from the one you can buy anywhere else. Anyone who rents online from NetFlix or Blockbuster may have seen the word "RENTAL" printed into the artwork on the disc itself.

The special features are removed: no commentary, no interviews, no deleted scenes, no gag reels, NOTHING but the movie. Oh and there is one other difference: many "RENTAL" version have 10-15 minutes of forced previews before the movie with no way to fast forward, chapter skip, or jump to the menu. These are a special product: a "RENTAL" DVD that was not intended to be sold to the public.

For these feature-less DVDs, Big Lots designed a HUGE price sticker (3.5" x 1.25") that is placed at the bottom of the cover...specifically to hide the very large word "RENTAL" -- the only warning an informed consumer is provided. The sticker has the BIG LOTS logo (in light blue), the barcode, and the words "Previously Viewed Rental". It should read "Special Rental Version -- Features Omitted."

@skippysgarden: Click the link I provided. Then read some of the comments. These are NOT full-featured consumer DVDs. When you see one in your Big Lots store, see how a specially sized price tag was specially designed and strategically placed, you might begin to see the issue. -- Let me know when you've seen one with the giant price tag at the bottom.

NYCMan 05-20-11 03:21 AM

Asking again, is this 2/$5 DVD sale till Saturday or next Tuesday? If it ends Saturday, I'll brave The Rapture, as well as the thunderstorms predicted here to take my two buses out and check the booty. If not, and the world doesn't end, I'll wait till Sunday.
Thanks!

Cardsfan111 05-20-11 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by NYCMan (Post 10781326)
Asking again, is this 2/$5 DVD sale till Saturday or next Tuesday? If it ends Saturday, I'll brave The Rapture, as well as the thunderstorms predicted here to take my two buses out and check the booty. If not, and the world doesn't end, I'll wait till Sunday.
Thanks!

I went to biglots.com, entered my zip code and the ad that came up (showing the 2/$5 DVDs) said 5/15-5/24. You may want to check the site for your local store to see if it shows the same.

CVB 05-20-11 07:55 AM

To Kevy,

No, I did not see "Don't Look Now"... but there were a lot of titles I had not seen at Big Lots before...

Steve 05-20-11 08:28 AM

the 2/$5 sale is only for "family movies'. At least that is what I see when I type in my zipcode at biglots.com. Doesn't sound like it applies to most movies.

Cabbage 05-20-11 08:42 AM

Found this Rock Hudson 5-film collection yesterday at the BL in Heath, Ohio.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/25228...ction/?___rd=1

Cabbage 05-20-11 08:44 AM

Forgot to mention that the Rock Hudson set was $5

Kevy 05-20-11 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by CVB (Post 10781466)
To Kevy,

No, I did not see "Don't Look Now"... but there were a lot of titles I had not seen at Big Lots before...

Thanks for the info. That is like the only title from the different batches
over the last few months that I've been hoping to find :)

NYCMan 05-20-11 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 10781502)
the 2/$5 sale is only for "family movies'. At least that is what I see when I type in my zipcode at biglots.com. Doesn't sound like it applies to most movies.

Check the print ad - '21 Grams' and 'Stripes' are apparently considered family movies.
New ad says 'May Madness ends Tuesday' and 2 for $5 bit is in the ad. Just wanted to make sure.

mike07 05-20-11 04:32 PM

^ Looking at the ad, it looks like all $3-$4 DVDs are included in the 2 for $5 promo. Speaking of which, my ad says the sale ends Tuesday May 24th.
============================================================
ATTN. ALL MILITARY PERSONNEL !!!
DON'T FORGET TO SHOW YOUR I.D. AT BIG LOTS TOMORROW MAY 21st FOR 10% OFF !!

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/...rvices2011.jpg

Thank you for serving.

thetao 05-20-11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by DiscGuy (Post 10781237)
The new DVDs that I am warning about are also previously viewed and repackaged. But it is the product itself that is the issue. These are NOT consumer DVDs. These are specially authored DVDs with missing content.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't typically buy used DVD's unless I can scrutinize what's inside (as I get enough rude surprises buying NEW movies :( ), but will now keep these at an even longer arm's length.

MooMooMooMoo 05-20-11 09:47 PM

Pearl St, Tacoma Wa got a bunch if the $3 previewed (both broken up sets & single movies), the cases looked really ratty.

They also got 1 $5 tray that would have been interesting @ $3. The few titles I remember are
Grumpy / Grumpier Old Men 2 film
Miss Congeniality 1 & 2 box
Brando Franchise
Underworld #1
Warner 4 film romance box (sorry i don't remember the 4 films. Julia Roberts kinda stuff)

The rest was a combo of new & restocks, imo nothing worth more than $3.

chard31 05-20-11 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cabbage (Post 10781532)
Found this Rock Hudson 5-film collection yesterday at the BL in Heath, Ohio.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/25228...ction/?___rd=1

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDre...%20package.jpg

It looks like this?

I want this!

ryan458 05-20-11 11:05 PM

I saw a restock of a lot of stuff that has already been mentioned here but also saw Seaquest s2, Conviction and Punk'd s2 for 5.00 each.

bse 05-20-11 11:39 PM

I didn't even know there was a sale, my fiancee picked up Final Destination and Poltergeist, each marked $3 and they rang up as $2.50.

I can not believe the 2 disc Pan's Labyrinth is only $3, they had a ton - I almost bought them all to give to people who haven't seen the film. They also had an entire tray of the King Kong extended cut.

JohnIan 05-21-11 01:43 AM

I saw a restock of a lot of stuff that has already been mentioned here but also saw Seaquest s2, Conviction and Punk'd s2 for 5.00 each.
Sorry.

Do you mean new or used - "SeaQuest" season 2?

NYCMan 05-21-11 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by chard31 (Post 10782861)

Those in NY looking for this, check out two Entertainment Outlet locations. They've also got the Bing Crosby set and the Lon Chaney, Jr. 'Inner Sanctum' set. 2 for $10 or $5.99 each.

ryan458 05-21-11 06:44 AM

New factory sealed Seaquest DSV s2.

DouglasRobert 05-21-11 07:46 AM

If only they had Seaquest DSV: Season 1.
I already own season 2, so only need season 1 to complete what is currently out for that series.

I got a "Previously Viewed" copy of An American Carol and a new America's Sweethearts. The Carol is a complete blind buy and only bought it because of Nielsen and Zuker's names on the cover. I hope Carol is worth the $2.50.

comix8 05-21-11 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert (Post 10783204)
I got a "Previously Viewed" copy of An American Carol and a new America's Sweethearts. The Carol is a complete blind buy and only bought it because of Nielsen and Zuker's names on the cover. I hope Carol is worth the $2.50.

It's not. It's awful.

b2net 05-21-11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by comix8 (Post 10783380)

Originally Posted by DouglasRobert (Post 10783204)

It's not. It's awful.

Agree.

kd5 05-22-11 09:05 AM

Found Hancock: 2-Disc Unrated Special Edition With Bonus Production Notes Booklet for $5 at the local BigLots yesterday. -kd5-

moklerman 05-22-11 03:14 PM

Tons of Gary Cooper.

Quite a few Marlon Brando.

Just one Fred Astaire.

No Rock Hudson. Dang.